Bay Area Credit Service / Bill collection scam

1 San Antonio, TX, United States Review updated:

We have been getting calls from this company about ambulance service for my son several years ago. We paid this bill several years ago. My insurance company took care of its portion of the bill, I paid the deductible, but there was a ambulance company "surcharge" of $400, that the insurance company deemed above "reasonable and customary." for this area. I informed the ambulance company of that. We informed the ambulance company in writing at the time. That was the last we heard of it. Out of the blue, we received a call from a man with an Indian accent who did not identify himself, but asked immediately for my son (and butchered the pronunciation of his name.) When I picked up the phone there was a long DELAY on the other end, so I know this is one of those computer-generated calls. The man on the other end identified himself as "Nick O'Brien" from Bay Area Credit Service.. He talked at length to my son and threatened that he had better pay the $400 or face bad credit. My 18 year old son told him to talk to me. This man has now called 3 times in the last 2 days. When I ask him for his information, he refuses to give me anything but his name and company... unless I give HIM more personal information. According to a "fraud tip" website, you should ask them for their address and have everything sent to you in writing. Then it is against the law for them to call you. He would not give his address. Then he would ask more personal questions. When I refuse, he hangs up. I am now going to call the Santa Clara county district attorney's office.

Comments

• Uk
      20th of Dec, 2009

I know a person who keeps getting letters say that they owe this company money...but never ever onpen an account in the Bay area befor...no3w they say taht he is now on collections...the account was opened on the 23rd of november...and the amount thats on collections is on november 14th...hmmmmmmmmm...i think this smells alil fishy... I think this business is a ### business...they aRE JUST TRYING TO TAKE MONEY FROM PEOPLE WHO DONT OWE ANY MONEY TO THEM BUT SAY THEY DO...

• Ga
      23rd of Jun, 2011

I received a call today from the Bay Area Credit Services. An Indian accent speaking person attacked me verbally and accused me of being behind in my AT&T cell phone bill. When I advised him that I had not been with At&T in over 10 years, I reversed the roll and started attacking him and his company. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he gave me Jeff Nicholson who sounded exactly like the first person. I asked him several times how did they get my cell phone number, but he would not reply. He then asked me if I lived in Washington, I said no, he asked if my birthday was 08/14/64 I said no he then gave me two cell phone numbers 404-234-1100 (an Atlanta number and not a Washington phone number) and the other I do not remember and I told him both numbers were not mine. I really became angry at this point and let him have it. I finally hung up, but redialed the number 1-800-399-2019 and Danny Ray answered. This gentleman also had an Indian accent. I asked for his supervisor and he said that Jeff Nicholson was his supervisor. I told him that I had already spoke with Jeff and got nowhere. He then advised that Steven Jackson was also a supervisor. I asked to speak to Steven. When Steven got on the call, he too had an Indian accent. At this point, I lost it again. I asked them if they thought that I was stupid. I said you sound exactly like the last three guys I spoke with. I advised him that I was reporting them to the BBB and hung up.

• Th
      21st of Oct, 2014

I have 4 calls from this number 1-800-399-2019 in my Google Voice inbox from 2/3/14, 2/7/14, 2/11/14, and 2/17/14, but there are no messages. They must be scammers, because my Google Voice number is not one I use anywhere, except that I have it published on my website as a support number. I did move to Seattle in mid-2012 so perhaps they are targeting me as a more local resident. But I have not done any business, only minimal banking, and I haven't opened any utility accounts during my time in this region. I have no outstanding debts related to this organization, but I do have one item (from 2010) still in collection by NCO Financial, and they have my personal cel number so don't need to call my Google Voice account.