Barclays Bank / Incompetent, useless, crap

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

I have never ever received such bad service from a bank and I have had accounts in many countries around the world. After this last incident I felt the need to complain and have my story heard. I have tried going through their official complaint process and no one has ever gotten back to me. I am in the process of finding out how to close my account from abroad. I have no more patience left. Here are some of the reasons why I will never bank with them again and encourage everybody else to do the same:

As I am not residing in the UK I have to phone when I have an issue. Everytime I call I speak to a new person who is most probably living in Mumbai and can't speak english. If I have a serious complaint it is impossible to speak to a mister so-n-so from x branch; everything gets centralised. Its totally crap. I had an incident a few years ago whereby money from my account was "misplaced"...for about 6 months. I probably spent the amount just in phone calls trying to sort it out.

I am currently waiting for a number of things from the bank, important passcodes and membership numbers etc that I need to transact off of the account. The most important thing was a telephone banking passcode which you basically need to do anything over the phone. It took me 2 months and numerous phone calls to get the passcode. And guess what? I phoned today to check on a credit that I was waiting on and all of a sudden my telephone banking passcode is invalid. Some ### in the customer services department has mistakenly ordered me a new one instead of the telephone banking membership number I had requested and in the meantime the one I have (the one I waited 2 months for and spent loads of cash on overseas phone calls trying to get) has been cancelled.

This is the last draw for me. When I eventually get the stupid passcode I am going to transfer all of my funds out of the bank and quite frankly they can go and f%#k themselves.

Do yourselves a favour and don't ever have anything to do with Barclays Bank.

Comments

Me
  19th of Aug, 2009

We have sufered the same level of incompetent service from Barclays. We have been trying to transfer an ISA from Barclays to Cheltenham and Gloucester since the 13th May 2009. It is now the 19th August. In spite of several exasperating telephone calls, visits to the local branch and efforts from C&G through three written letters, the ISA has still not been transferred. Barclays is an absolute disgrace and no one should have any dealings with them if they want to retain their sanity.

Lo
  20th of Nov, 2009

Let me tell you that I thought I was different in dealing with Barclays bank or Juniper.com. But, nope. I have had this credit card with Barclays for over 5 years and paid tons in interest because of many factors. I am a single parent, student, and just survived cancer..again! So, I thought, November 2009, that I would try and pay off Barclays credit card or Juniper as they are also known..with my student loan money to try and save the outrageous interest rate I am paying to Barclays. The day, yes the same day, that I paid of my entire balance...Barclays closes my credit account without notice. As a student and single parent, I had planned to pay this credit debt off..but, to also have this credit as a cushion for just in case..an emergency arises. Well, unfortunately, Barclays is a cold, cold, cold company to work with and I have no hesitation that I will no longer give Barclays another dime or thought. Karma does have a way of working in these situations. So, beware of Barclays and their cold ways of business!

Vi
  29th of May, 2010

Nice to see that other people think that Barclays is no more then useless! I vented my anger here! Seems to come up quite well on the search engines...

Se
  5th of Jul, 2010

Maybe you would be interested in joining the cause against Barclays: http://bewareofbarclays.webs.com

17th of Dec, 2010

I have a mortgage supposedly paid off last week, but the life assurance division have not sent a cheque to the mortgage dept (same company and they use bloody cheques?) missing for the last two weeks.

Meanwhile I still pay interest and even the complaints dept can't sort it out because the claim to be different companies, same damn name and the same to Barclay's customers!
They can't take an electronic transfer of funds, why? WTF?

Unbelievable.

- As I type waiting for a call-back on the third complaint I have lodged.

Zc
  26th of May, 2011

Barclays Bank staff seem to have their heads up their backsides. I am overseas and trying to send money from England to overseas. They are absolutely impossible. The best they can do is to tell me to phone them on an 0845 number which doesn't work from here. Their alternative is to call into one of their branches in the UK. So stupid, how can I do that when I am 7, 000 miles away in the Far East. As for their call centres, well I think everyone knows how useless they are.

Ml
  9th of Jul, 2012

my sentiments exactly.i have banked with barclays since 1972.up to now not many problems.however as a dutch citizen i moved back from the uk after 26 years to holland.my complaint is;that as a holder of a connect card having expired this year in feburary it seems to be impossible to obtain an extention for an other 5 years.
after a lot of expensive calls, letter writing, frustration and anger iam back to square one.after holding on for more then 45 minutes i haerd a message from bt no less.so i had to ring of as barclays had obviously dissapeared.iam now thinking of cancelling after some 40 odd years my dealings with barclays.i dont think by the looks of it they could care one way or the other.miss.ml houniet, rotterdam, the netherlands.

9th of Jul, 2012

After revelations that Barclays wide boys were fixing the interest rates - more will come out - it's about time to ditch these fraudulent and unpleasant nasty boys.
I mean...
I wouldn't buy a used car from them would you trust them?

9th of Jul, 2012

sorry, this forum cannot display an apostrophe

eg can't