Banfield Pet Hospital / rip off

United States Review updated:
2.5

They actually refused to treat my cat unless you pay $400 up front!! They do not examine your cat, they just don't care!!! I complaint to the company and never follow back!!! Do not go there! They are so unprofessional, i would never advise you to go there, they do not know what they're doing, don't buy any ''welness plan'', they will try to get you to buy it, it's rip off.

Go to anther vet, do yourself a big favor, these people are not qualified to touch your pet, shame on them!!!
Va

Comments

Ji
  10th of May, 2009
The Banfield Pet Hospital in Daytona Beach is nothing but a scam to get you cash.I took my dog there for an ear infection, it was on a sunday the only place open.They diagnosed him, prescribed medicationat a cost of $149.00.Yesterday when i went to take him outside i noticed his ear bleeding, so i called, they said no problem bring him in .So i didand thats when they tried to screw me to the wall. They examined my dog, and the tech said she wouldbe right back with a plan.When she came back in the room she told me my dog needed surgery right away at a cost of$1360.70 to$1700.87. I told her she was out of her tree, but before i could leave they made me pay for the office visit$33.95.So i paid for the same diagnostics twice.So when i left there i went to Val-u- vet around the corner .They diagnosed my dog, treated him with a shot of penicillin .and cleaned his ear for$86.60 The dog is feeling better, im happy .The lesson is Stay away from Banfield Pet Hospitals .This one needs to be investigated by the state of florida
St
  1st of Dec, 2009
This place is a total rip off. They were more interested in running tests (spending our money) than treating my dog and at the end of the day transferred us to an emergency clinic. Should have started at the emergency clinic to begin with, who would have thought it was cheaper. The tests Banfield sent to the emergency clinic were of no help to the emergency clinic and the EC vet did not even know why they were choosing to run the tests they were. EC vet started treating with antibiotics, even though she did not know the problem either, which is what Banfield should have done to begin with. If you care about your pet spend the extra money to take them to emergency, it will be cheaper in the long run! Banfield is AWFUL!
Ed
  5th of Jan, 2010
Ok, so a year ago, on the 12th of December, I took my dog into Banfield because it was closeby work, I figured it was a decent place since I had had a dog before and had to give it away to a family member who said she gave it away to a vet thinking she'd care for it much better seeing as how the dog hadn't had its vaccinations with me. I was young and naive and thought Banfield would help with my new pet. They told me about a Wellness Plan and that it would take $22 out of my checking account on the 12th of every month to pay for all the expenses and care my dog would recieve. I signed the contract and the lady said I could renew it next year if I was satisfied with the service. So a whole year goes by that we do this and overall, I was satisfied, but I was not planning on going another year because one year of those $22 payments is $264. So Banfield made my last appointment with my dog on Dec 18th. I hadn't noticed the contract would end on Dec 12th, but I went anyways for the last one. My sister had to pick up my dog and told me they made another appointment for him in Feb 2010. I was confused...this was supposed to be the last one. I called Banfield and they told me that the contract automatically renews so to end the contract, I'd have to call customer service, which I did. I finally did my research and was upset at what I saw. All the things that it cost me to care for my dog was significantly cheaper anywhere else. I called to end the contract and they told me that the new contract had already started and my dog had already had an appointment using money from that contract. She said it'd be cheaper to just finish another year's worth of that $22 payment every month. I was obviously upset and asked if there was anything I could do to get out of it. She said I could pay for those months that I won't use. Paying for service my dog won't recieve? She said she could get rid of January and February's "payments" which brought it down to $197 that I could pay before March 5 to get out of the new contract. She said that in the meantime, Banfield would automatically take out $22 every month on the 12th out of my checking account. She said that it would make my payment lower, but I'd still have to pay for it. I don't know what to do. She's saying that in that one visit with a renewed contract, I've wasted $197 that I have to pay back to them. No visit is that much! My problem with this is that I can either pay the 197 for visits I won't use or I can go a whole other year with a total of 264. And if I pay for the 197 and take him to another vet, that's more money! It'll be cheaper for the things the plan hasn't covered, sure, but I'm not sure if it will be more than $60, the difference between the 197 or 264 I'll have to pay...ugh...i know i messed up. i guess i was desperate to not lose another dog to illness when there was a convenient clinic...what should i do? the only thing that absolutely *** me off is that banfield knew that by making the appointment a few days after the contract ended, a new one would start and i'd have this problem...
Ic
  22nd of Jan, 2010
Whenever you sign up for anything, request the contract of what you're signing up for. Legally they have to supply the contract to you and what you signed up for is correct. Your plan auto-renews at the end of the year, most people who find themselves in collections regarding this have no clue it does this. And legally they're responsible for it becuase of the contract they originally signed up for.

Also when you cancel your contract with them correctly you have to do it 30 days prior to the renewal date of the contract ending. Otherwise the plan will just auto-renew even if the Banfield rep tells you you can cancel over the phone.
Th
  13th of Mar, 2010
We went thru almost the same thing. our beloved dog past away on Jan 2, 2010, when i called Banfield's Wellness Plan to cancel, i was told I still had to pay out the contract because of PREVIOUS services the dog received. I was furious!! my dog is gone and they're telling me i can still use the services cuz the contract is up until Oct!! I was so upset! whats the point of having this "HMO' plan? there is no savings. don't get me wrong I loved the vets there, they were very good with my dog, but this so called health plan savings is totally bogus. I have to pay $49.99 til the plan expires in OCT. I made sure there is a not on my account that says DO NO RENEW. trust me, NEVER AGAIN, rather deal with VPI-pet insurance
He
  2nd of Apr, 2010
I do agree my previous boyfriend gotten a dog and I took her in the vets at the banfield office and they got me to sign up. Well later approx 3-4 mths later him and I parted our ways and I sent the dog with him for she was too agressive and destructive. I immediately called the rep. and she stated that I would have to pay the remander of the year of service. 130 bucks. I was blown away I could not believe that I still had to pay for a dog I no longer owned. Its a complete rip off.
Ma
  23rd of Aug, 2010
I took my toy poodle to Banfield Sunday with an upset tummy. They did some initial tests found no parasites but wanted to do further tests. The initial "estimate" was $94.00 which seemed reasonable.

The doctor came in and check my puppy and said they needed to do an Iv for dehydration, xrays, led me to believe he may have "twisted intestines" so I had no choice on Sunday but to let them test.

The fial bill came to be $661.05!! When I picked him up after 5 hours, he was fine and has been fine ever since. All he needed was something for his tummy. They wanted him on a Prescription diet dogfood for a few days and I had to buy that separately, nor did they start him on any medication - told me to do it at home.

This place is a ripoff from the word GO. They obviously take advantage of people in their time of stress over their dog. I have written their Corporate office but imagine nothing will be done. The charge for blood work was $126+ - the dog weighs 3 lbs, how much blood could they have taken!

I will never take any animal to them again and will tell all I know to leave them alone. Emergency vets are more reasonable than this place is.
  24th of Aug, 2010
Mario,
It’s our mission to provide our clients and their Pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit. We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals was unsatisfactory. To address your specific concern, and to help us improve our overall service, we would appreciate it if you would call us at 1-877-500-2288 to discuss your visit.
Ra
  25th of Aug, 2010
We have had our GSP hunting dog in the Top Wellness Plan for years.
Last year these Hacks, butchered our dog. Removed a cell mass, and only put in a few stiches.
Leaving their office the dog bleeding would not stop.
Next day they needed to put in staples, as they should have to begin with.
The bleeding still continued, I called they said he can't move or it will still bleed.
Next day the staples began coming out. During these days of recouperation, I had to hold the dog not to move at all just to stop the bleeding.
After the staples came out, the wound would get bigger and bigger every day.
I called daily asking what I needed to do next?
After 5 daily trips to their office, they said now we can only treat it as an open wound.
Now it is 3" by 4" square of open wound. Treat it as an open wound was their only cource of action?
After a week of this, I took him to the Specialist and had a real Vet. DR. redo the operation.
Another $1, 500. to correct their hack job.
Staples were again used to close the wound. This time put in correctly, and they held and healing began. Bleeding was never an issue.

Thinking this was only one bad operation, we stayed in the Wellness Plan.
Yesterday he went in for his update, shots, X-rays the whole deal.
I dropped him off at 7:30 am. Expecting to pick him up after 2:00 pm. as directed.
12:30 they call me, "we can't mussel your dog, can you come in and help?".
I drove right over to find my dog running aound their kennel area.
I asked, What 's the problem? They said he just growels at us, and we can't mussel him.
I put his lead on and took him outside, where he took a pee as soon as he got out the door.
Two more steps and he began pooping. I thought he had all his business taken care of before I dropped him off at 7:30 am. But I guess 4 HOURS in the kennel waiting for treatment was too much time. He has never in 10 years of life ever done his business inside and never in his kennel.
No there was not any emergency treatments going on, they just knew they had all day to their job.

THESE TECHS CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DOG THAT NEEDS TO GO OUT, AND AN AGRESSIVE DOG? Where do they get these people?

Our GSP is a lover of all. And has never snapped at anyone.
I went back in to talk to the Vet., and discussed What took so long? And why hadn't treatment started. He said, "I don't know? They said they couldn't put a mussel on him?"
I said, "Why don't you have any system in place to put a mussel on? If that's want you need"
He had nothing to say.
Now I need a new Vet. We only began at Banfield because our family Vet of 15 years with other dogs retired.

Needless to say, NO WELLNESS PROGRAM ever again.

I wish I had read more about these Hacks before we ever began any program.
  29th of Apr, 2011
They must answer to the medical fraud they are billing and stealing your money they only pay the DVM 20% commission on each bill.
  29th of Apr, 2011
All the DVM's are paid 20http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YugT3uDpinA% of each bill, it is a comission job!
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Sorry for typo
All the DVM's are paid on comission, 20% of each bill.

Banfield Pet Hospital Logo Banfield Pet Hospital