Dr. Ron's Animal Hospital & Emergency Logo

Dr. Ron's Animal Hospital & Emergency

Having problems with Dr. Ron's Animal Hospital & Emergency?

1376 Erringer Rd
Fri8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sat8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sun8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

negligence animal cruelty, animal endangerment, rudeness, and price gouging!

My name is Robert Kopp. My dogs, Lola (8-years old Yorkshire terrier) and Tasha (5 years-old Pit Bull) have been Dr. Ron's patient for their lifetime along with our three cats (Harrison (deceased), Gracie (deceased), and JC (18 years old). We have always had the deepest respect for people that choose their life's work to treat and care for animals. Having animals all of our lives, my wife Sandra and I have had cats and dogs for over 35 years.
Dr. Ron has seen Lola all of her life and we have been pleased with his care until he decided to abruptly stop caring for Lola due to the fact I questioned Dr. Ron's assessment of Lola's diabetes diagnosis and failing to let us know we should seek out an ophthalmologist when she was diagnosed back on July, 03, 2018.
Dr. Ron diagnosed Lola with diabetes on July 3rd, 2018. Lola was prescribed a special diabetes diet and insulin (2 units) per feeding, twice a day, 12 hours apart, and must be injected with 15 minutes of being fed. Dr. Ron never mentioned Lola should see an ophthalmologist at any time from 07/03/2018 through 10/09/2018.
On Wednesday, 10/10/2018, Lola developed discharge in her left eye. We immediately made an appointment with Dr. Ron's office and we saw a technician at Dr. Ron's office Wednesday night, 6:30 pm, to diagnose her discharge in her left eye. The technician performed a stain test to determine if there was a scratch in her left eye. Lola was taken to another room in the office. When Lola was returned to us, approximately 1o minutes later, Lola was unable to see. Lola started walking into the office furniture, walls, and doors. Lola's eyesight was fine prior to the visit and the discharge was the only symptom prior to Dr. Ron's visit that Wednesday. Lola was still unable to see Thursday, 10/11/2018, and we contacted Dr. Ron and we were told Lola should see an ophthalmologist. We made an appointment with Dr. Goldenberg at VCA-Veterinary Specialist of the Valley for Friday, 10/12/2018. Dr. Rosenberg diagnosed Lola with cataracts and 90% loss of sight in her left eye, and stated Lola still was able to see a little out of her right eye. Dr. Rosenberg prescribed Lola different eye medication that would treat her discharge more aggressively than the medication prescribed by Dr. Ron, along with pain medication for Lola. We were provided pamphlets for diabetes for dogs, along with other documentation regarding diabetes, cataracts, and cataract surgery information to prevent further loss of eyesight for Lola. Reading the pamphlets on diabetes, it states that once dogs are diagnosed with diabetes, the owner should make an appointment with an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. On Friday, 10/12/2018, when I was told of the pamphlet information I called Dr. Ron's office and asked to have Lola see Dr. Ron and not a technician, or other staff member. Dr. Ron was able to see Lola on Sunday, 10/14/2018, 11:00 am. Dr. Ron saw Lola on Sunday, 10/14/2018, and when I mentioned to Dr. Ron that Dr. Rosenberg provided us pamphlets regarding diabetes and within the pamphlets it stated when a dog is diagnosed with diabetes, the owner should make an appointment with an ophthalmologist within a week, Dr. Ron stated that was incorrect and became defensive and left the room with Lola and a technician entered and told us we needed to have Lola return to perform an all-day blood work. We made an appointment with Dr. Ron for Tuesday, 10/16/2018 for the blood work he recommended. On Tuesday, 10/16/2018, Lola was dropped off at 9:00 am for the blood work, and was picked up at 6:30 pm. Dr. Ron visited us after the blood work results were in and he stated her glucose numbers were still high and Lola should see an internist for internal diagnosis. We discussed the diabetes pamphlet and the statement within the pamphlet to immediately make an appointment with an ophthalmologist and Dr. Ron stated this was incorrect. We accepted his professional opinion, although my wife, my son, and I disagreed with his opinion, although we did not verbalize it to Dr. Ron.
My wife Sandra Kopp called Dr. Ron's office on Thursday, 10/18/2018, to re-order Lola's prescribed diabetic food. Dr. Ron's office told Sandra that Dr. Ron no longer is willing to see Lola due to the comments made regarding the diabetes pamphlet and denied Sandra and Lola her prescribed diabetic food. Lola had only four cans of prescribed diabetic food left, which meant that we had to find a location that would sell us prescribed diabetic food, and we did not have any documentation from Dr. Ron that would allow us to procure prescribed diabetic food. Dr. Ron has put Lola's life in jeopardy as a diabetic, in addition to Lola's loss of eyesight within the last week of visiting Dr. Ron, and nowhere to turn to feed Lola her prescribed diabetic food. I tried to order the food that evening on-line from Chewy.com, although the website requires veterinarian information to purchase the prescribed food. Dr. Ron failed to authorize the Chewy.com order leaving Lola with no choice but to be fed un-prescribed non-diabetic food violating her prescribed diabetic diet prescribed by Dr. Ron. I am not a law professional although in my opinion, this is not only cruelty to animals, but in my opinion, this is a derelict in duties, negligence, lack of professionalism, and minimum responsibilities of a veterinarian. In addition, Dr. Ron's negligence for Lola is life threatening and Dr. Ron should be held accountable for placing Lola's life in danger.

negligence animal cruelty, animal endangerment, rudeness, and price gouging!

&FEES&

Needed to have dog seen today because of blood in urine. Called and asked if they had time. Was told no problem, bring her in. When I showed up was told that there would be an extra $33 "convenience fee" above and beyond normal office visit because I had no prior appointment. Waiting room was empty so it wasn't like they were jammed or anything. . They wanted to call it an "emergency visit" when in actuality it wasn't. What a rip-off.

Resolved rude staff

I went to Dr. Rons because my cat has a fracture and requires surgery when I asked his staff if I had any...

Resolved Heartless

Dr Ron's is horrible. I take 6 animals to them and my cat got sick and had a fever of 104 and blisters in her mouth and tongue. $565 later they said she had a stone in her bladder and needed surgery. They sent me home with a deathly sick cat that needed over night care, but they don't keep animals over nigh. I call the next morning to talk over options and the Dr Ron is off and he would not call me and they said the Doctor on staff that day was to busy. I tell them that I didn't have the money and needed help financially. (This cat has food allergies and can’t eat anything else but special food.) Since I didn't have the money for the surgery the nurse told me that I can try changing her food. Ya right she has blisters all in her mouth and cat eat or drink. When I make the decision to put her to sleep because they said she would have heart issues after and the stones would come back if the food is not changed. They questioned my decision several times and made me feel like I was doing the wrong thing. ALL they wanted was my MONEY!!! They had the nerve to charge me for dehydrating her for the day ($54) and $150 to put her to sleep. All they could talk about is when I am going to pay. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT ANIMALS just MONEY!!! All said and done I spent almost $800 and now I have a dead cat.

Resolved Rude staff

After being billed for an appointment I did not miss and having my bill immediately sent to a collection agency, I proceeded to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the District Attorney. Dr. Ron's office sent TWO different letters in the same envelope to the D.A. The first letter was full of false allegations, the second letter removed the allegations. Dr. Ron's closing statement sums it all up:

"If possible it would be best to charge her some fee either to you or to us for our additional time dealing with this to help send a message to stop behavior of people who feel if they complain enough they will get their way."

Apparently Dr. Ron thinks you should be fined for complaining about his poor service and shoddy business practices.

The guy is a jerk, his staff is rude, and he has shady billing practices. Do yourself a favor, pay a little more and go to a REPUTABLE vet because this guy is NOT!

• Ps
    p.spensieri Sep 12, 2009

• La
    lablvr15 Sep 24, 2009

We love Dr Rons - We are shocked by this review. They are great with our animals!

The Dobbs Family

• Jr
    JRoesch Sep 28, 2009

You know- The best thing about the internet is also the worst thing. Anyone can vent/spew with little, if any repercussions. P.spensieri had a problem with Dr. Ron's., that much is obvious. But I'll be darned if it all makes complete sense. It reminds me of Judge Judy saying, if it doesn't make sense, it is probably not true. IF the above story was explained better, we, the readers could understand the problem more. BUT, as I said, I don't think we are getting the full story. MY full story is I have know Dr. Ron for fourteen years and have taken ALL our animals to him and have found him and his staff to be professional and put the welfare of our animals first and even explaining various methods/ options in order to try and contain costs if something was expensive ( not that our pets don't deserve the best). And believe me, Dr Ron. or no Dr Ron. our pets are family and if he wasn't up to the task, we would take our business elsewhere-it is just too important!!!
    I respectfully submit that he is a VERY good vet and an asset to Simi Valley
    The Roesch Family

Horrible bet office!

UPDATE: I have since file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, who recommended I also file with the...

Watch out for billing practices and rude service!

Dr. Ron's Animal Hospital is Simi Valley is a LOUSY place. The front office staff treated us so badly...

Resolved Poor service!

Dr. Ron Resnic, Dr. Ron's animal hospital in Semi Valley. Poor Service, Rude employee's, Price unfairly charged. I needed to bring my bulldog in for cherry eye. My first mistake was not driving down to Riverside to see a vet that came highly recommended. I asked around and a friend said her sister goes locally to Dr. Ron. She said he might be able to do the operation but just beware the office girls HAVE ATTITUDE! After waiting to get to see this doctor for 5 weeks I brought him in and asked to speak to the Doc about this delicate procedure. The girl who brought me into the waiting room told me I would have to Pay an additional $35 to see the Doctor. I guess The $500 tab I got was not enough to cover the 5 minutes I requested to actually meet the Doctor. The Girl Was So RUDE about it, acting like I was crazy for wanting to meet the DR, I was promised this mystery DR. was good and stood behind his work. Well ..5 weeks later my pups eys still looks bad. So I called to go in for my follow up.. and With out even seeing the pup she (one of the office girls) wanted to refer me to a specialist( Cha CHING) Apparently Dr. Ron does not stand behind his work. When I insisted Dr. Ron see the dog To evaluate and complete his own work The B---- was so happy to inform me the cost would be $35. to bring the dog in. I am so Tee' d off. I'll keep you posted... You can be sure... after taking my money again there won't be anything he can do. There must be very few Vets in that neighborhood because this guy and his rude staff can afford to do REALLY BAD work and service and people still see him. People just don't know until they have a bad experience and it's to late. By the way my friends sister ended up having a bad experience with them as well. Don't go to this Vet for anything IMPORTANT.

• St
    Stephen Singer Apr 06, 2007

You should have gone to Dr Butchko in Riverside. THE BEST.

Madeline Stevens Jun 24, 2007

Your right! Dr. Ron's animal hospital has the most rude service I've ever encountered. We were treated very poorly. The women behind the front desk had a sharp tongue and ignored us most of the time. They were talking on their cell phones and to each other and gave me a dirty look when I tried asking them a question. Unbelievable!

• Re
    Renee - South Carolina Sep 21, 2007

All of this is soooo sad! But let me tell you... They all don't have ANYTHING on Platt Springs Road Animal Clinic in West Columbia, SC!! Even in emergencies I guess it's better to wait it out or deal with MAJOR mistakes! : (

John Hansen Oct 15, 2007

We have taken our dogs and cats to Dr. Ron's for many years. Veterinary care has always been excellent and the prices fair. The front counter staff is always friendly and courteous and helpful.

Perhaps the complainer's bad attitude evoked a similar response from staff.

• Ha
    Harry Thomas Jan 26, 2009

We've taken our dogs to Dr. Ron Resnick for years and he is the best. The staff is OK...have not experienced the ATTITUDE as this person suggests. We understand that you can't please everyone but the experience described by Ms. Troncale is not what we know.