Baer's Furniture / bad customer service

United States Review updated:

My mother in law purchased a living room and kitchen set at the store. 2 days later we got a call that the sofa was not available unless we took the floor model (no other discount was offered). The day before delivery they called to say the sofa table is broken. I asked to speak to a manager, they told me one would not be in the store until the next afternoon. I left a message on the owner's voice mail. Larry [protected] ext 320.

A call was made to the salesman about the sofa and how disappointed we were, he stated he didn't care if we took it or not, there were plenty of others in line for it if we didn't want it. Nice customer service!!!

Va

Comments

21st of Aug, 2008

Please don't buy from Baer's Furniture. They won't stand by what they promise you.

• Be
      20th of Aug, 2009

Donot buy anything from Baers furniture. They say something and the managers are really rude and doesnt keep the promise. They still owe us money. Try Ashley's, if you are furniture shopping. You can cancel or keep..WITH a refund.

• Ml
      29th of Jun, 2014
    Baer's Furniture - Poor service
    Baer's Furniture
    Sarasota
    Florida
    baers.com

Luckily, we did not purchase everything from them. We bought Tommy Bahama Lexington furniture, so I knew the quality. I worked with 3 different folks during my purchase process trying to get a decent sales person. Only the last one (who was on loan from another store) was helpful. The first two told me repeatedly that they were designers, yet were only interested in getting the fastest sale on floor items. When you asked about special orders they pretty much told you that this option was not reasonable (until they thought we weren't purchasing anything, then the special order because much more attractive). Both sales people tried to sell me high end items that simply would not fit in my area. One suggestion had a love seat abutting up to my tv console (6" room between them). We are not designers and repeatedly told them we were concerned. I had a floor layout and pictures with me, but they were interested in the overall dimensions of the room, not taking the existing furniture into consideration. They were awful. Tommy Bahama is fair traded and there was a sale on so we did buy a 4, 000 (on sale) sofa from them. I held back part of the payment just to help with any problems. I then read some of the complaints, so was prepared to refuse delivery on anything that had even the slightest problem, but luckily everything was okay.

Given the size of the furniture they were trying to sell me I asked what happened if it got there and didn't fit, the "designer" mumbled something about store credit. I am sure the 150.00 delivery charge would have been deducted also. The sofa I did get which was about the size of the ones they were trying to sell me WITH and arm chair or love seat just fits into the room. Anything else would have overwhelmed the room. If you go there PLEASE use your own judgement and do not listen to them because they tell you they are designers. Neither had any MA Design or other valid credentials on their cards, only designer or design consultant.

They also advertise all kinds of support with paint, room layouts, etc. NONE of this was offered or even hinted at during the sale. Any references to help where quickly diverted into another subject.

We went back for their clearance as they are the largest TB dealers in Florida (even something Lexington will tell you) and found 2 dining chairs that I wanted on clearance, I asked what was wrong with them and the manager (this salesperson was actually helpful with these type questions) told us he had no idea, but they couldn't be sold as firsts (implying figure it out yourself). When asking about the fabric insurance, he rolled his eyes and told us, of course they couldn't offer it. Even though I just spent 4, 000 on a sofa with them a few weeks prior, he still acted like we were homeless wandering in off the street and really should stop bothering them.

This site helped my prepare myself in case there was a problem and I hope this message helps anyone thinking about using Baer's. I would go there to look at the items and then get it from a reputable dealer who is actually qualified and interested in helping you. I have another 10, 000 or so to buy, but Baer's will not see a dime of it.

Lexington controls the price of Tommy Bahama furniture, so prices are pretty much the same everywhere, unless they are having a sale. I have gotten two different answers about whether the sale was on. That is just plain lying by one of them. I asked about a sale and got a response about a possible upcoming price increase. They are only there to get your money and then they are done with you.