AT&T / unreliable service

We pay for 6mb/s, the service rarely gives us that though. Normally it stays around 3/4. Not only that, but I often find several times a month; we lose connection to the internet, and see a nice splash screen from our router happily informing us that there is no internet connection. It should also be noted, that the ping often drops to unusable levels. As rated by pingtest.net, "F"; with 800 ms ping time. If your happy with having an unstable internet connection that goes down or becomes unusable every few days, At&t is the company for you. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it. On a side note, the blackberry website tends to load VERY slowly, though I can't say if this is At&t's malpractice or just a slow website. I'd also like to complain about the slow upload speeds, which make file-sharing almost unusable. It takes about 30 minutes to upload a small video, which is a consistent thing.

Comments

• Va
      9th of Sep, 2008

I have AT & T U-verse, DSL, and phone service. The first 6 months perfect... since then 12 service calls later. The picture freezes, breaks up, I get knocked off the DSL, phone has static. How many techs does it take to correct the problems? Of course after every service call the techs all say the same - your all set. No I am not. Half an hour after the last tech left same problem again, picture freezing, DSL not staying connected. I would not recommend AT & T to anyone. I am currently searching for new TV, DSL & phone provider. AT & T has the worst Customer Service.

• Re
      13th of Dec, 2010

Your complaint sounds like a technical problem that can be solved.

When troubleshooting Internet problems like this the possible causes could be in any of e parts: Internet, dsl modem and router, and pc/home wiring. The goal is to figure out which of the 3 it is. Then we can either narrow it down further or start trying different things. I'd recommend running the packet loss test at http://www.hostmycalls.com/tools/.

I'm suspicious from your description, that you will find problems only at your site, which means it's dsl modem/router/filter. If that's the case, check the Signal Noise margin and attenuation for your router. If that's a problem, disconnect everything in your house from the phone lines and connect the dsl modem to the closest spot you can to the network junction box. If that improves, then it's something in the house. If it doesn't, get at&t to come look at it.

• Wt
      4th of Jan, 2011
    AT&T - Poor Service and technology
    11445 f dr s
    Ceresco
    Phone: 2699794791

For 5 years we've consistently complained of poor service and quality of lines at our home. Countless trips by AT&T to fix the problem has NEVER been resolved. Countless times we have lost complete phone service. Still not satisfactory and long-lived results. We pay the same rates for this utility as all people and yet we cannot get high speed internet of cable service from AT&T. Why do we then have to pay the same price as people getting all the service benefits? Could there be a legal right to seek damages or resolution to bring our phone lines up to the same standards of the majority? Should people in our area pay LESS than others since we don't receive the same quality and benefits?
    As for wireless - I've had AT&T for my business for years and it stinks. Their ads are misleading and misrepresents the consumer benefit. It's slow, it's not 4G, rarely 3G, and coverage is very very spotty, unlike other wireless providers.

• Hb
      4th of Jan, 2011

AT&T are good at not doing what they should. When I moved 2½ years ago, the area I moved to is serviced by AT&T. I had the fiberoptic option, for home phone, cable and Internet service. I specifically asked for the wireless modem/router to be located in a specific area, where it would be central in the house. The installing technician...??? decided to ignore the instruction and request, and instead set up the unit where HE wanted to and where it was most convenient for HIM to put it. Many requests later, for the unit to be moved where it was requested to be put in the first place have NOT BEEN MET. I have to FIRST pay $170 to havce it moved. This is the kind of CRAP SERVICE that these places are dishing out. AT&T, like all the other money hungry loser companies are all the same, once they have your money, they don't care for their customers.