Having problems with AT&T?

AT&T reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jul 19, 2006. The latest review first time log in was posted on Sep 24, 2021. The latest complaint rewards card was resolved on Nov 03, 2015. AT&T has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 1835 reviews. AT&T has resolved 641 complaints.

AT&T Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 288 2020 (Customer Service)
+1 888 333 6651 (Order New Wireless Service)
+1 877 782 8870 (Check Wireless Order Status)
+1 314 925 6925 (Support For Travel Abroad)
+1 800 901 9878 (AT&T PrepaidSM)
+1 844 827 7057 (Order New U-Verse TV Service)
+1 866 861 6075 (Order New Digital Phone Service)
+1 800 331 0500 (Wireless Customer Service)
+1 866 294 3464 (ConnecTech PaidTechnical Support)
+1 866 435 3264 (Dial-Up Billing & Payments)
+1 877 990 0041 (Order New Fixed Wireless Internet Service English)
+1 866 975 0050 (AT&T PREPAID Wireless Home Phone)
+1 855 288 2727 (Digital Life)
575 Morosgo Dr., NE Rm 14f67
Atlanta, Georgia
United States - 30324-3300

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with AT&T Customer Service. Initial AT&T complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for AT&T above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about AT&T. Discuss the issues you have had with AT&T and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

AT&T Complaints & Reviews, Page 76

AT&Tscam and lies

I am a small business owner and have done yellow page ads with Bell South now AT&T since about 1991. They now sell internet yellow page ads. About 4 years ago I tried the internet yellow page ad and decided on renewal that it did not increase my business and cancel that part of my yellow page ad with no problem. In 2007, I decided to try the internet yellow page again and decided on renewal that it was not increasing business and told the sells rep that I wanted to cancel my internet yellow page ad and keep only the two in column ads in the printed yellow pages. The sell rep was very pushy and kept insisting that I keep my internet yellow page ad. I actually got upset and finally he let it go. He told me by keeping my two incolumn ads that I would have two more smaller ads free. He wrote up the contract listing the two incolumn ads and the internet was listed but had to two stars blotting out the payment columns. I made an assumption that it was zeroed out and canceled. Instead of the cost listed for each item he hand wrote at the bottom of the page the total amount of the ads. I got my new bill in July and the internet ad was listed for $98 dollars. I called AT&T and told them I had cancelled the internet ad. What the sells rep did was those stars did not mean it was deleted he never took the internet ad off the contract but lead me to believe the ad had been removed. The inside person at AT&T said she could do nothing for me because I had signed the contract. That I should have wrote on the contract no internet. I told her I have been doing business with you since 1991 and I have never had to do that. That I had just been scammed and that AT&T was allowing their sell rep to get away with scamming an excellent customer. I ask to speak with her manager and she said that they could not change this. I told her your sells rep lied to me. The internet ad could be deleted from their website and I could have the $98 dollars taken off my monthly bill.

I insisted on speaking to a manager and she said she would have one get in contact with me.

• Re
      rexs Feb 04, 2010

I am sorry that you are not happy with yellowpages.com. I was looking online and found a website that you can have a FREE ebillboard. You can also do advertising on this website. Just go to seekshallfind.com. I was talking to my friend Mike that has a ebillboard and like it. He was telling me that he can go and make his own changes on this ebillboard. He like it because he can see how many people has been looking at this ebillboard. I hope this helps you.

• Bn
      Bnae Aug 11, 2009

make sure that they didnt credit your account for this eqipment and try to call the customer service dsl billing and inform them they might give you credit because I order my modem after I realize it was free and they credited me

• Mr
      m.rice Jul 31, 2009

I purchased FastAcess DSL from At&T. The agreement was that I pay $100.00 for the modem, and then I would receieve a rebate for $100.00. This was in Feb. 2009, the "rebate" would be mailed to me within 4-6 weeks. It is now July 31, 2009, and after many calls and new information sent to AT&T, still no rebate. Each time I am told that I will receieve my $100.00 within 3 weeks. How many more "3 weeks" will it be??? I am very disappointed in this company.

AT&Tunfair billing

In Oct.2008, my husband and I called ATT to switch our phone to just basic service with maintanance and DSL Lite. We made payment arrangements.
    We found out that ATT left unlimited long distance on our phone, *69, answering service, and all the other bells and whistles.
    We called back..still in Oct 2008 no less than 10 times..STILL THE MATTER WAS NOT RESOLVED.
    We called in Nov.2008 at least 10 times..again in Dec.2008..Jan.2009..Feb.2009..Mar.2009..Apr.2009..May 2009..June 2009, and also in Feb.2009 we started sending letters to the FCC. We just sent 2 letters to the NC Utilities Commission.
    A guy from an Atlanta office called today and told me our bill was almost 800.00 and that we never called them to straighten out this matter, ATT was not responsible if customers call in to make changes and they are never done that it is always up to the customer not the company.
    Needless to say HE PISSED ME OFF BIG TIME.
    What are you suppose to do when you make an agreement with them and they continue to give you a service you do not want and they say its your fault?
    The guys name..I forgot..but I posted his number. I hope a few people call and tell him its unfair to the customer when their customer service lies and refuses to correct a problem, and blames the customer for it.
    The idiot who blames his customers is at
    404...362...0021..thats in Atlanta y'all

• Ge
        George DeCrescenzo Aug 12, 2009

I was billed $ 12.95 plus applicable taxes for monthly Efax and Voicemail services from Rocket Communications via Transaction Clearing (3rd party billing company), which I didn't authorize. I saw it on my AT&T bill and called Transaction Clearing, Rocket Communications, and AT&T (who are aware of this scam) to have the charges removed.

I would like to know how someone can open an account with Rocket Communications without proper authorization. Apparently, anyone with access to the Internet and the White/Yellow Pages can open an account for someone else with this company. I can see from your web site that I am one of many who have experienced this scam and yet AT&T still allows it to occur.

Att.com / Rewardscenter — there is no reward

they told me after 21 days to contact them to redeem a giftcard for $100. i can't even get on the...

AT&Tdisgusting service

I thought my number was unlisted but it still appears in AT&T online white pages. No wonder, I have a lot of telemarketers calling. I called to complain and to ask for credit. AT&T admits this is a problem but would not give credit. They said my number will not longer be listed in October 2008. I was disgusted. I have been payig for unlisted service since August 2007. The attitude of the supervisor, was arrogant and unhelpful. Now, they are calling to ask me to switch internet service to them? NO THANKS. I am looking around to switch my phone service.

• Su
          Subbdag Jul 31, 2009

I was promised $250 cash back and I have it in writing, but only received $200. I called and asked what happened to the other $50 and they said that they didn’t have any record of it, when I informed them that I had a copy of the IM conversation with their sales rep. they said “well we can give a $50 gift certificate”. Personally I think this is just a bait and switch. They hide the rebate in a letter looking like an advertisement, which I think they hope that you will throw it way thinking it is an advertisement. . When you open the letter you have to go on line to claim it. Why! They have my address, why not just send me the money promised. I have written the Better Business Bureau and my states Attorney General. My advice is simply think twice before getting this service. The system is not bad but if they treat me, the customer this way now, what will they do latter.

att DSL/internet/Modemreward/rebate

I signed up for DSL internet service from att in April, 2009. I was given two forms that would allow me to receive a $50 rebate debit card for signing up and an additional rebate of $80 in the form of a check for the modem rebate. The reward center received my request form for both rebates on May 4, 2009. The forms states that I would receive my rebates within 4-6 weeks. To-this-date, I have NOT received any rebates. I have contacted the rewardcenter several times. I get didn't answers with each person I spoke to. I get different dates the rebates were sent out or they said they have no record of my request, or they have promised to reissue the debit card..but no one can tell me who to talk to regarding the $80 modem rebate. att representatives are being completely deceptive about this issue. They told me my rebate card was mailed on June 13, 2009 and at another call, they told me it had been mailed out June 10, 2009. Now they say it will take 7-10 days to MAIL a replacement card. This is too much!!! Something should be done about their bad business practices. I live on disability income and was depending on this money to pay for the services which they told me I could do with the rebates. Now they tell me I can only use them at other businesses. Please help..if you can.

• Rg
            rgiper34 Jun 05, 2010

Signed up for AT&T internet service here in Houston, Texas. I was told my first bill would be about 103.00 dollars. They demanded that I sign up for direct withdrawal. After I signed up for the service they mailed me a router and service that did not work. Then they said they had no record of my service. So a service technician came out did absolutely nothing then charged me 200.00 for coming out and an extra eighty dollars for a second router. Guess what he never brought a new router to my house I already had the one they mailed. When i got my first bill it was a whooping 450.00 dollars for the internet to be turned. Disputed the charges which they withdrew directly out of my account. I had a bad experience with AT&T. They did nothing to correct the bill.

AT&T Directv — misrepresentation

I am filing this complaint on behalf of my parents ages 83 and 91 years old. A relative gave them a laptop...

ATT — thiefs

In 29 days you are charging me 312 us, not even obaqmas internet is that expensive, you guys lied to me...

AT&Tholding my money as &pre-authorized& amount

I paid my bill on line, and when I looked at my on-line bank statement the next day, I see they are holding double the amount of the total bill - one entry is described as a "pre-authorized" amount. I called AT&T and after 45 mintues talking with 2 customer service and 1 accounting rep I was basically told this is a figment of my imagination - they aren't holding my money and only charged me once for the bill. The bank verified it, and so I filed a complaint with the BBB. Then I get bombarded with "anonymous" calls to my cell phone, from AT&T. I don't answer anonymous calls from anyone so they responded back to the BBB that they determined my complaint was unfounded, they didn't hold on to this money twice, and I wouldn't return their calls when they tried to call me and lie to me also. I sent the BBB printed copies of my bank statements, showing they held on to the money for 4 days with the complaint so I have proof. If I was 4 days late in paying my bill they'd shut down my services. Why companies are allowed to do this and call it "pre-authorized" amounts is beyond me, the gas stations do it too. They immediately charge your card for $75, even if you only get $20 in gas. They keep it until their system reconciles with your bank and you get charged the actual amount of merchandise you purchased. I filed a complaint with the Attorney General on AT&T. Why should they be allowed to attach my account for double what I authorize?

AT&T — overcharged

Since I already had AT&T phone and internet service, I canceled my cable service and switched to AT&T Uverse...

ATT.com — emplyee not doing his job

You have an employee named >steven burtch<, , that is not doing his job, , he is instead tanning at...

AT&T Bundle Packagescam

AT&T reps were on our street offering a fantastic bundle package for phone, internet and dish, IT WAS A SCAM. Horrible service! AT&T promises services that Dish will not fulfill and each blame the other. And you better read the fine print, somewhere in all those pages and paragraphs they have a minimum 2 year service agreement with Dish. After 6 months and double my normal monthly bill I cancelled my service and was told by Dish that I would be billed for the remaining 19 months on my contract at a discounted rate of $10.00 per month...WHAT?!?!? Buyer Beware, the service was horrible from both companies!

• Lc
                LChristmon Aug 28, 2009

I called AT&T in Jan. 17, 2009, my" bundle" is a land line, internet & Dish Network. I don't remember anything aobut a 24 month contract with Dish Network, however February Dish and AT&A split. I have been totally ripped off. I have a contract I never signed(not my sighature) every time I talk with a customer rep they make promises they don't keep AND THERE'S A $200.00 CHARGE TO BREAK THE CONTRACT. I became the proverbial ping pong ball with each question. A class action lawsuit maybe the only way to get these companies attention.

AT&Tat&t service switch scam

I am a day manager at a locally owned franchise. I was visited by two AT&T representatives who claimed they were investigating reports of over charged accounts in the area, and that all they needed was the business phone number and a manager's 'okay' to make the 'fixes'.

However, they were repeatedly told that I did not have the authority to make any changes to the store's accounts: Once by my coworker who greeted them, and then multiple times by me while they were trying to get information and coerce me into thinking otherwise. They even tried to get the phone numbers of the owner's other franchises out of me, apparently trying to switch them all at once.

Even once I contacted the owner and was told that she no longer had a contract with AT&T and there was no reason for them to be there, they still tried to push on, insisting that I was on some 'list' (although they never once referred to anyone by name, or even used a 'he' or 'she') and I just needed to speak with someone on their cell phone to sort things out.

I was disgusted that they tried to deceive me because they thought I wouldn't know any better, and I am astounded that they would continue trying scam the information needed to make the switch from someone who they knew had no authority to make that decision.

I will keep this in mind if I ever decide to switch my residential service or am in a position to choose a provider for a business; I do not like the thought of ever having to deal with this type of business practice again.

• Ho
                  Houston, TX. Mar 02, 2011

Houston, TX.

I got home one day and outside was my husband with a young AT&T male representative. This person told my husband that they had this one month free trail promotion. He ended up tricking my husband to make the change from Comcast to AT&T. BIG mistake three days later my husband call to cancel and he was told that he couldn't cause there was no free month trail promotion. Now we are being invoiced for the whole month at a high rate. What can we do? The worst part is that this person left us a receipt but with a signature that can't be read. Can we sue them for false advertisement? I am sick to my stomach knowing that this is what they have to do to get customers and commission.

• Eo
                  eo925s Aug 23, 2009

I've learned that 2 of the owner's other franchises almost fell for this attempted scam.

I made an attempt to contact AT&T through their website, being that I could find no other way of expressing my concern. The comment section is for AT&T customers only, so put in a family members residential number. I did my best to explain the situation in 300 characters or less, hoping I would receive an email and be able to explain my situation further. Although the response I received was very generic, I could tell they at least skimmed my comment enough to know which 'fill in the blank' letter to use. It claimed they would investigate the concern, so I responded with more details, explaining that the phone number I provided was not the proper location, and provided specific information about the locations, times and dates. A month later, I haven't received a follow up.

Also, last week we received a fax during our lunch rush with information regarding AT&Ts business rates. Hand written at the top of the letter was a message stating that the corporation that owns the franchise's brand name mandates that we use AT&T for our credit card processing services. Although beginning sometime in October, we will be required to process our credit cards through a designated BANK via high speed internet, no where is it dictated that it must travel through AT&T. At the time the fax was received, there were absolutely no regulations regarding who we used to process our credit card transactions, as long as it was secure. Unfortunately, the fax was accidentally discarded as being junk during our busy lunch, and I will not be able to investigate it further.

AT&T DSL — support is a waste of time

Had home office phone and DSL for 3+ years with AT&T... was not getting much use out of the office telephone...

AT&T U - Verse — complete disaster

I signed up for AT&T U-Verse service - internet and TV only. I asked the sales person if it worked with TiVo...

AT"T Wirelessdon't care about customer satisfaction

Att is so useless it is unreal.

I am a 10+ year customer - who needs a new phone. So after paying 15K plus over that time - I really would like to get a bberry bold.

Costs 300 bucks - I figure - why not see if they care to keep me as a customer.

Talked to a rep who offered to cancel my service when I explained I thought they might want to help me out with the pricing of the unit and I was unhappy.

I wrote 2 e-mails which either the person reading them does not actually read the content - or perhaps are system generated responses.

Try another provider - I will.

• Ha
                    HATED_it Jan 20, 2011

WHY ARE YOU "ENTITLED" ? HEY HOWS ABOUT ATT GIVE ALL THEIR CUSTOMERS FREE 300.00 PHONES?? NO. .ITS A BUSINESS . YOU ARE A CUSTOMER.. STOP BEING SPOILED

• Av
                    av8r Jan 27, 2010

During the fifteen years of patronage that you cite, you have used the services of AT&T at the price that you both agreed upon. It is not bad service to deny you "special" pricing because of your tenure, it is simply that they ask you to live up to your end of the agreement. If you want a new phone, pay the price...if you don't want to pay what everyone else does, get two tin cans and a piece of string and stop whining.

AT&T U - Versecan't convert dsl to u-verse w/o loss of service

God help you if you have Earthlink DSL and try to convert to ATT Uverse.

They told me I have to terminate the Earthlink DSL, but they can convert me to ATT DSL until the Uverse gets installed. They told me I can't schedule the Uverse installation until the Earthlink DSL has been terminated.

So they terminated the Earthlink DSL within one day, and they are supposed to give me ATT DSL now, right? We've been on the phone for almost 2 1/2 hours this morning talking to 6-8 people, got hung up on twice, transferred and dropped a few times, and we've heard a whole bunch of "I can't help you." The last person explained that their system won't let them do anything until the Earthlink DSL is out of their system which will take about 10 days! She said she tried to delete out all the codes manually.

Well, they terminated the Earthlink DSL within one day, but now the story is that we will be completely out of internet connectivity until the Uverse gets installed at some ??? date - we can't even find out when that is. They can't tell me an installation date until they call me back, which is promised sometime within the next 24 hours.

I use internet connectivity for professional purposes (I work from home) and job search - what do you think my professional contacts will think hearing that I have no connectivity because my internet is down for an unknown period of time? They will probably think (1) we didn't prevent this disaster ahead of time and (2) they won't be looking to switch service from DSL to ATT Uverse any time soon.

As a 25 year computer programming veteran, I can tell you that the telephone company computer systems are not designed to service customer needs - they are designed to very efficiently bill huge numbers of customer accounts at the cheapest cost using batch processing. Because of the batch processing, customer needs, like converting from one service to another, cannot be handled efficiently, billing adjustments get hung up in the once-per-month billing cycle, and late fees and penalties are probably calculated before adjustments are applied or lost in the process. (I experienced this with AT&T cell phone services 10 years ago, and in my experience, it hasn't changed a bit.) Computers that will handle customer needs better and function more accurately are very expensive, which would take money out of the C-level and shareholder pockets.

I will update when I get more information.

• Lh
                      l_harb704 Jan 09, 2014

I am also going through this experience. It is unpleasant and not very customer friendly, but is not as critical for me as I use my mobile hotspot via my wireless company which will work in the short term. Since AT&T actually owns my residential ADSL line and only leases it to Earthlink, I have no idea why they have such trouble with this.

AT&T $99 Promotion For Phone / Internet / Cable — fraudulent promotion

I signed up for a promotional package through AT&T to receive phone/internet/digital television services for...

Cingular Wirelessmilitary suspend

In the spring of 2006 my daughter obtained cell phone service with then Cingular Wireless; using my husband as a co-signer (for lack of a better word). At the end of Oct 2006 my daughter was deployed to Germany with the Air Force. We called Cingular and explained to them the situation. They directed us to a department specifically for this issue. We were told at that time we would have to send in a copy of her orders to deploy. Once that was received they would suspend her cell phone service. We were also told that if she was to be shipped home all she would have to do is contact them and they could reactive her account. We at that time told them it would be 36 months at minimum before she returned per her deployment orders. That was not a problem once the received a copy of the orders the account would be closed. Now it is July 2009, our next to the old would like to get her first cell phone. My husband takes her to the now AT&T store to get her phone. After looking at our account they tell us he cannot get a new line of service because we have a $175 collection against our account. When my husband inquires as to why we have a collection he is told it is because of the line that was discontinued due to my daughter being deployed. He explains that we had it shut off due to the deployemtn and the steps we went did in order to accomplish this. He was told that was to bad call the customer service center for AT&T. I did that went through the same explanation. We were told that the account had been suspended for 24 months but the reactivated that account at that time because my daughter did not call AT&T/Cingular back to prove and continue the suspension. We explained that the deployment orders showed she would be in Germany for a minimum of 36 months and most of that time has been spent down range in Afghanistan and would not have been able to make any calls. At that point we were told it was no longer there issue the matter had been sent to a collection agency. We asked for the Military Suspend department and were told they no longer had that department. We then asked who we could talk to, to resolve this issue and we were told that we would have to talk to the collection agency themselves. When we then explained that they would not talk to us because the account was against us, it seems like they would only consider talking to the company that placed the account with them. At that point we were told Sorry but to bad.

AT&Tu verse returned equipment

I have also experienced issue with AT&T, specifically/ U-verse/AT&T Customer Service / AT&T significant errors and their seeming inability to correct obvious problems.
                      Why I returned the U-verse equipment is another whole compliant. But in a nut shell: the scheduled installers didn’t show up and didn’t call (3 times) and then the quality of the product was unbearable to the point where we could no longer watch any TV due to the ‘freezing”. But I’m over that now, and happily back to another cable service.
                      My current complaint based on AT&T’s total incompetence that has impacted my credit rating. I returned the U-verse equipment as instructed, on time and in perfect condition. A couple months later I received the first bill for the equipment asking if I had overlooked it because it was past due. I called AT&T and their representative tells me that it was a mistake and don’t know why we got the invoice and that they would take care of it. A few weeks later I receive the next invoice and a dunning letter from AT&T. This time I called and they said that they could see the equipment was returned in good condition but they had no ability to correct the amounts owed because ‘another department’ was responsible for that: and oh yes, that department does not take phone calls from customer so I couldn’t talk to them. They wouldn’t even give me a name who I could address a letter.
                      They did remind me how high their customer service ratings were from JD POWERS (yeah right) and inferred I was alone in having any issue whatsoever with AT&T customer service and their total inability to help me.
                      Now I have a collection agency calling me and trying to collect the money. I can’t believe that they can just turn this over to a collection agency when their own employees have received the equipment and I have that in writing!!!
                      It is now impacting my credit rating!!. AT&T is totally incompetent and their customer service is shameful. It is almost like they are intentionally trying to harass and irate me. I would like to see this giant monopoly corporation be more responsible and accountable for their actions.
                      I’m cancelling my AT&T land line and warning everyone I know….

AT&T Yellow Pages — auto-renew policy

We have been the victims of AT&T Yellow Pages policy to change without notice advertising contracts to...