Ashley Furniture, Chico, CA / unkept promises, poor customer service

1 Chico, CA, United States Review updated:

We purchased a dining room table with chairs in early January 2009. It was supposed to arrive within 6-8 weeks. Didn't arrive. We received one phone call telling us that they would call us when they had an arrival date.

At 10 weeks we still had not heard anything and we went back again to the store... they gave us another date and finally we asked that if the item did not arrive by this 'new' arrival date (12 weeks after the original purchase) that our money would be fully refunded. Agreed. We actually gave them THREE extra days and finally went in and canceled the order.

Since we paid with a credit card they would not write us a check, they had to place the purchase amount back on our card. They promised that within 7-10 days we would receive our refund. Today is day 10, no refund. I just called... oh, silly me, it is 7-10 business days.
So, we are actually only on day six now. I asked if we could have a check refund in four days if the refund isn't back in our account. The very quick and final answer was "NO - you will be refunded in the same manner in which you paid." OH, REALLY... well I am quite sure they had our money within a couple of days - probably hours. They have sat on this for FOUR MONTHS NOW. I bet we don't get our money back with interest!

I have heard horror stories from other unfortunate local customers since our little fiasco started with Ashley Furniture, Chico, CA; people waiting for months for furniture and then having 30% of the purchase price withheld from a refund if one is requested.

I want to warn every single person who is capable of reading these words and might consider shopping at Ashley Furniture, Chico, CA ... DO NOT SHOP ASHLEY FURNITURE IN CHICO, CALIFORNIA. If you do, you better walk out of the store with your product the very day you purchase it - or it will be several months... if ever, that you might get to use your new furniture!

We are at week 15 now, no refund, no dining room table and really... I am not holding my breath for four more days, because with the track record of Ashley Furniture, Chico, CA - we will most likely be dealing with this mess for a while. Regrettable. Very, very regrettable.

Do

Comments

• As
      15th of Jul, 2009

We regret that you had such an experience with us. In this bad economy all of us are feeling hard hit from our customers to our staff members and families. A lot of people are having to buckle down in these hard times including us. We as a locally owned company have been doing everything we can to expedite all of our back orders. Since this is one of the first times we have had to weather through such a bad economy, yes some errors have been made. These errors have been stressful for a small handful of customers, wich we deeply regret. But it has allowed us to learn how to prevent them in the future. We appreciate your input so that we may grow and better ourselves. However allow me to clarify a few common misunderstandings. After 8 weeks we would not have held you or any customer to the 30% restocking fee. All most all businesses will not refund a credit card payment in check form. If this was possible we would have done so with out hesitation. While Ashley Furniture is a brand name, the store itself is independently owned and operated. That means that shopping at our store encourages the local economy of Chico, CA and our local employees and families. So we are sorry for small handful of customers that have had to weather through this with us. We would just like everyone to remember that, by all of us in the Chico community sticking together and supporting local businesses such as ourselves, we can get through these hard times and better Chico in the process.

If anyone has any question I would be more than happy to answer them or do what I can to help.
    -William
    VP of Consumer Affairs for Ashley Furniture of Northern California
    530-345-2616

22nd of Jul, 2009

Ashley furniture stores are the WORST to deal with. The customer service is absolutly terrible. The Roseville, Chico and Redding stores are all owned by the same people, so DO NOT give them any more business. Havent heard of how bad they screwed tons of people? Go to the news web sites, they've done stories. Im out 800 bucks that Im supposedly getting back...we'll see. DO NOT BUY FURNITURE FROM ANY ASHLEY FURNITURE STORE! ESPECIALLY NORTHERN CALIFORNIA STORES! THEY ARE TERRIBLE.

• Ty
      11th of Aug, 2009

My credit of $2700 has still not be put back on my card. They also told me 7-10 business days and it has been almost 2 months! And "William" does not return my calls so the offer of help he has given is useless and another one of the many empty promises and lies I have heard. I am having to deal with this through my credit card company and the BBB. Ty of Redding