ASF International / Have been billed after canceling service

1 640 Plaza Suite 300Highlands Ranch, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 18002273859

This company has been withdrawing money out of my account even though i have canceled the account over a year ago. I noticed that i was being billed and notified them immediately. Their "records" never indicated that i canceled. The cancellation was done over the phone and in person with the agency that asf was with holding for. I have tried multiple times to correct this situation over the phone and each time i have been told that it was never canceled because it wasnt in writing. After reviewing my copy of the contract it was found that technically they were never authorized to with hold any money. I have no problem paying for what was used but i dont feel it fair or just for them to continually bill me. I have put a stop payment with my bank because they would not stop and now they are continually billing me and adding on other charges. Please help me with this annoying situation. Thank you

Comments

25th of Feb, 2008

Mr. Erdmann never sent any request to cancel. He state she cancelled with the club, but the club does not handle that process and would have referred him to us. We cannot hel Mr. Erdmann with his cancellation unless he submits it in wrting to us.

Chris Peterson
    Customer Relations Manager

• Pa
      28th of Feb, 2008

ASF is a complete scam. BUYER BEWARE

20th of Mar, 2008

This Company is terrible! I have been trying for a month to cancel my membership at a Gym that uses them, because I have moved away. I have mailed and faxed them on numerous occasions everything they requested, and they keep coming up with excuses why they cannot cancel the contract! The Customer Service Reps will not allow you to speak with anyone else nor will they give you names to contact anyone that has any authority! This company is a HUGE SCAM!! BEWARE!! Very unprofessional and completely uncooperative!

• Do
      24th of Apr, 2008

actually i have sent in a letter to asf, it was faxed along with all the documentation of being "payed in full" which was actually over paid by two years. it was addressed to cody he wouldnt give me his last name, gloria she also wouldnt give a last name and to chris peterson. now that it has been two weeks later i got another bill with late charges added on to it, as well as it stateing that i was past due on the month previous. i would be more than happy to fax anyone a copy to review along with my confrermation from asf of the account, the contract, the letter that they recieved, the activity of the account ect. ASF IS A HUGE RIPOFF AND I HAVE YET FOUND A WAY OF GETTING THEM TO STOP BILLING ME!!!

• Br
      28th of Apr, 2008

I have had similar issues with this unethical company. I faxed a medical letter from a well respected Orthopedic MD here in Birmingham, AL stating that a tear in my tendon would not allow me to work out. There is a medical consideration in my contract with allows me out of it and they would not honor that. This came after my bill for the first two years of the contract went from $19 per month to $45 after they auto renewed (that was my fault for not reading the contract). I have been paying $45 per month to not attend the gym. They also would not allow me to speak to a supervisor after sending me a letter stating that the letter I faxed was not enough to cancel and that I had to be "permanently disabled" to be relieved from my contractual obligations to them.

THEY ARE UNSCRUPULOUS and CORRUPT. I am filing a Better Business Bureau complaint, notifying the gym. Due to the fact that I lost my debit card they no longer have me on file so they have been sending late fees and membership fees to me by mail. They also indicated that should I provide a letter stating that I am permanently disabled I would still need to pay the full years worth of "gym enhancement fees". That seems ridiculous considering I was trying to cancel only 2 months after my contract was renewed.

I am certain they will try and attack my credit report but I will dispute it considering I have tried to cancel, received a ridiculous denial letter, waiting over 20mins for someone to answer on 3 occasions, have been denied access to a supervisor AND THE KICKER, when I asked for a copy of my contract after receiving a denial letter stating my contract notes that I have to be permanently disabled... the rep told me that they DON'T HAVE THE CONTRACT on file at the office.

HOW DOES A COMPANY SEND A LETTER STATING THAT MY MEDICAL LETTER DOES NOT COMPLY WITH THE GUIDELINES FOR THE CONTRACT WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE THE CONTRACT IN FRONT OF THEM????

1st of May, 2008

I am awesome.. A few clicks on the computer and I found out how to really reach them... Plus if you scroll down you'll have the info for the att gen in CO. The ONLY way to stop them is to call the Attorney General
    CAll them here...

FAX: (303)866-5691

• Al
      6th of May, 2008

SAME problem-

Keep Faxing, mailing - THEY NEVER SEEM TO RECEIVE my correspondence! Hmm... well since they get to bill me for thirty days after they receive my cancellation AND you cannot contact them to find out if they got your letter for ten business days, or fax for 24 hours. I am out of my contract period and have been on a month-to-month plan. These people are scamming $35/month from me since the beginning of March. I really loved my gym but cannot attend due to family reasons. Unfortunately, I will not be joining again if they are still working with this company.

• De
      20th of May, 2008

I agree with the comment that this company is fraudulent and unethical! I moved away and fortunately had a copy of my contract that stated the cancellation requirements. I met the requirements with documentation and was met with the comment that the contract I signed wasn't even valid in the state I live!
    I will NEVER USE ANY COMPANY THAT ASSOCIATES WITH ASF INTERNATIONAL.
    I HAVE SOUGHT LEGAL COUNSEL REGARDING THIS AND AM ALSO FILING A BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU COMPLAINT IF THEY DON'T REMEDY THE SITUATION ASAP!

23rd of May, 2008

Good luck even getting through on the phone!

• Al
      27th of May, 2008

THIS IS RIDICULOUS I HAVE DONT EVERYTHING TO CANCEL A ONE YEAR GYM MEMBERSHIP THAT EXPIRED AND THE GYM NEVER TOLD ME I HAD TO GIVE 30 DAYS WRITTEN NOTICE THROUGH THIS OTHER 3RD PARTY BILLING MONTHS LATER AFTER I SAW I WAS STILL BEING BILLED! THEY TOLD ME BACK AND FORTH, OH U HAVE TO GET A LETTER FROM THE POTHER COMPANY OR FAX THIS OR THAT, FINALLY THEY SAID I HAD TO GO ONLINE TO CANCEL, WHEN I DID IT TOOK A MONTH TO HEAR BACK THAT I WASNT APPROVED FOR THE CANCELLATION. NOW IM STUCK! WE ARENT BEING CHARGED FROM OUR ACCOUNT, JUST BILLED BUT I DONT WANT MY CREDIT RUINED. THEY HAVE TACKED ON MAJOR FEES!!! CONTRACT ENDED IN FEB. STILL CANT GET RID OF THEM..AND WHEN I ASKED TO BE SENT THE CONTRACT WHICH WE SIGNED UP WITH BEFORE ANOTHER COMPANY BOUGHT IT WAS IN THE NEW COMPANY NAME SOMEHOW..SOOO FISHY!! THE OLD COMAPANY WE WOULD SAY OH WERE DONE WITH OUR CONTRACT AND THEY WERE LIKE OK.. NO PROBLEMS SO WE DIDNT KNOW IT WOULD BE LIKE THIS!! THIS IS CRazy! HAS ANYONE MANAGED TO GET OUT OF THIS??? OR MANAGED TO GET THEM REPORTED? OR EVEN MORESO DOES DOING NOTHING AND IGNORING THEM RUIN YOUR CREDIT? HAVE U BEEN REPORTED TO THE CREDIT AGENCY???

• St
      2nd of Jun, 2008

I am another getting the run around with this unscrupulous company, anyone for combining resources and erasing this stain for good? Please e-mail me if you are, as I am past irritated and feel like going straight for the throat. I have experienced the exact same thing as the rest here: Denial of receipt of cancellation, they state that their records show that I owe, regardless of the proof I have, long delays (20 minutes or more) on hold, Managers that do not contact you as promised, oh..If they send bills to you in the mail for money you do not owe, isnt that mail fraud?

• Am
      5th of Jun, 2008

We have a contract through our martial arts studio to pay through ASF International. We tried to set up an automatic draft but my bank has a block on this company which would not allow the payment to go through. (After seeing these complaints, I can see why.) So I set up my bank account to automatically mail the payment to ASF the first of each month. ASF is now sending me a bill charging me an extra $10 each month for "manual billing". I called them and explained that my bank wouldn't allow the automatic debit to take place but that I am having the payment automatically sent and that they don't need to bill me. They say they can't stop sending the bill, and can't stop charging me the $10 per month.

After seeing the other comments posted here, I'm guessing they are trying to force me into giving them access to my account.

Who charges $10 to mail a bill anyway? I know of no other company that does that!

11th of Jun, 2008

I am so unimpressed with ASF... First of all I live in Canada and have had no luck with Sign in. Doesn't recognize my SIN # or Phone #. Actually the funny thing is that it did when I first got my Gold's Gym account... then when I first called about my Payments and possibly cancelling my account, suddenly I couldn't sign on anymore.
    I had been advised that if I paid Gold's Gym three months of Gym Membership fees, I could cancel my membership ( as I no Longer use it) I called ASF to check into my options as to paying this and have the membership cancelled. They told me I was past due on my account which I was not aware of... it shows it coming directly off my visa every 2 weeks. Then informed me that they were charging me $5 every time it was completed... because it had to be done "manually" ???
    Now it appears that my account is three months behind and they are also charging a $9 late fee.
    When I asked about getting out of the contract they said they had nothing to do with that... Now I see it's ASF you are supposed to send the Cancellation request form to. It's right online!!!
    I am in the midst of trying to contact them again... as they have been harrassing me ( Calling up to three times a day) to get payment from me...
    Bunch of Idiots and completely useless...

• Ca
      15th of Jun, 2008

ASF is a third party billing. In terms of assigning billing, the companies that use them supposedly get the money from them up front and then ASF turns around and bills you for the 'credit.' What I find interesting is there is no 'truth in lending' with regard to this line of credit or 'cash advance' to the business or to the consumer.

That alone would be reason to wipe them off the planet. We do have a lawyer that we have access to, but ASF is difficult to reason with. I think they took their Customer Service training from credit card companies who shall remain nameless but whose initials are BofA.

• Ca
      15th of Jun, 2008

Marnie, in the US we have Fair Debt Collection laws and I am sure that once you send them a drop dead letter they will stop the harrasment. I am sure Canada has something similar in terms of them not being able to contact you once you have notified them you have contacted a lawyer/counselor/solicitor.
    Check it out, and go to Clark Howard's website. He is a consumer advocate out of the south and has sample copies of drop dead letters on his site.
    Good luck.

• Co
      16th of Jun, 2008

I'm in the same boat with everyone else.

I joined a gym in September of 2006, and my contract was for 3 years. I moved from Savannah to Washington Dc and wrote a letter asking them to cease payment on my account. So to this date--i'm still being billed $29.00/month. I have 15 installments left at a toll of $435.00.

I called today to be told that I have to fax in some cancelation form, a proof of utility bill in my name, and $75.00 cancelation fee- $75! I'm furious- they already have $551.00 of gym membership money that I HAVE NEVER EVEN USED, and they want me to pay an additional $75 to CANCEL.

This company is corrupt and a scam. I will NEVER EVER use or sign any contract that deals with ASF- they are terrible.

Now I have to wait to find an extra $75 to stop this terrible company.

If anyone has any solutions on how to make this stop without having to pay the money- please let me know.

• Ka
      7th of Jul, 2008

I too am having issues with ASF. I called to cancel my membership at the salon I was using. Months later, I receive a letter from ASF saying that I owe money. I called and was informed that I had to give them 30 days notice, by fax, to cancel. Convenient how the bill they sent me gave me just less than the 30 days to cancel to avoid paying the bill.

I called and was told to just fax in the cancellation paper anyway, so I did. Later, I am sent a letter stating that the cancellation could not go through until I paid the dues in full. Why would I pay for something that I cancelled?!?! I called again and the girl on the phone was VERY rude and when I asked to speak with her supervisor, she was conveniently "off" for the day. I was told to leave a message for her and she would contact me within 24 hours. Days later...nothing. I call back and can't get through.

Today I just received another bill...

• Ro
      9th of Jul, 2008

Same sad story. Twenty minutes on hold, they just a biller then they control the cancellation, your cancellation isn't valid (for whatever reason), they ignore the consumer protection laws for your state. They are the worst - in my case the martial arts studio sent in an "automatic renewal" a month early for two years at $4500 dollars instead of the one year "automatic renewal" on the contract. ASF says, "Sorry, the gym isn't responding so we can't correct this."

Automoatic renewals are illegal in several states but in California they are "questionable" so I have to sue the gym and find a way to fight ASF.

Has anyone had any luck with the Colorado Attorney General? Anybody know how to pursue as a group?

• De
      9th of Jul, 2008

I am commencing a class action suit against this unscrupulous company. From the posts that I've seen all over the web I think we can easily reach the $5 million threshold to make it a worthwhile claim. All interested in exacting justice from ASF International please respond immediately.

DAZ

• Jc
      22nd of Jul, 2008

DAZ-
    I'm a law student in the process of terminating my contract with ASF. We'll see how it goes, but so far the service has not been as horrible as some of the other posts above make it out to be. I think it just takes some searching and a little creativity to get through to a customer service rep. [And no, I will not reveal how I did it until the process of cancellation is over.]
    However, because the posts above and on various other message boards online paint ASF as an unethical company, my ears are open to being part of a class action suit. Again, we'll see how well my cancellation process goes. Gym memberships are designed to be hard to get out of, and I think that needs to change. A lawsuit would be one way to jumpstart that change. Just give me a few months to find out what happens... if it gets to a ridiculous point, you can count me in!