Having problems with Lady Of America?

+1 305 266 7472 (Miami, FL)
+1 940 270 8900 (Corinth, TX)
+1 817 306 7200 (Saginaw, TX)
7300 Corporate Dr., Suite 702

• 7650 I-35 E. South, Suite 134, Corinth, TX 76210
  • 900 N Blue Mound Rd., Ste.100, Saginaw, TX 76131

Complaints & Reviews

The mafia gym

Im a Client Of lady pf América in miami lakes fl, where their steal your money the trainers trying to...

Deducted commission/Negative Future Balance

I have a friend that they deducted past commission earned from current commission earned if the customer defaulted payment on their account, which shouldn't be right considering commission is earned as a benefit of performance and hourly wages are paid to employees. So essentially the next sale that is made will have a portion going to the owner of the establishment rather than the employee who earned the initial start-up commission as well as processed the information into a computer, requiring no work from the owner; mind you this resulted in a negative amount of commission earned in a later month. I may not be a CEO Executive, but I know for a fact that by deducting a "bonus" given and then some due to the irresponsibility of consumers (which is eaten as uncollected debt and absorbed into the company, and it's directed to National Fitness to take care of for collection) creates a disincentive for your employee to generate sales as well as lowering overall morale knowing that once a sale is made it can be taken away at anytime.

My complaint is also a question, is this legal for them to deduct commission earned (while an hourly employee) and create a negative balance to collect on future commission earned (before sales have been made). Assuming that employment discontinued could they collect on that amount owed despite how little it is. Apparently instead of being paid to work, you have to pay your employer for future possible results which can be seized whenever costumers default on their accounts. Other individuals' negligence costs hard working and high performing employees who generate sales and revenue for the company; time money as well as feeling devalued for having worked hard and been punished for it.

If someone can tell me if Lady of America Fitness for Women is legally able to seize future commission earned as well as past commission paid for prior sales then I would greatly appreciate it, from the content on this website as well as others it seems there are discrepancies on both sides of the business transaction process with this company.

Membership cancelation

I am European and when I was sighning my contract I specificaly asked what would happen if I'll decide...

Run-Down Facility

I have been a member of the Chantilly Lady Of America fitness center for over 5 years. It used to be a wonderful, convenient, well-run and staffed gym which I used 5 days a week. No more. Beginning last year, it went into a noticeable decline. The franchisee is unwilling to spend money to repair air conditioning (only the arrival of Fall in 2012 made the gym bearable) and heating (In early January, 2013, the temperature was in the low 50's. I left.) No one in a position of responsibility is ever available to answer questions. Instructors for classes are quitting. It has all the earmarks of a franchise about to go under. And, also aggravating, an e-mail to corporate headquarters (Dallas) didn't even get the deceny of a response. In the good days, I would get two and three year memberships. No more. I now go month-to-month. Unfortunately, I don't see this location staying in business beyond Spring of 2013.

National Fitness Center contract scam

National Fitness ( Lady of America-Facily located in Herndon VA ) is where I used to go twice a week. last year I no longer used that facility because i move 50 miles away. So I cancel my membership on September 20th 2012. I was told since I cancel middle of the month there will be a charge in October $25 dollar and you can still use the facility till the 31st of that month. However they charge me $25 dollar yearly maintenance fee in NOV 1st. I called to find out, National Fitness center Rep. explain me since I am still active ( As of Nov 1st) member cancellation notice does not start from billing date ( Oct 1st -not Sep, 20) I would still have to pay for Yearly Membership fee fo $25 dollar. I will no longer be using this facily and I still have to pay for Yearly facility maintenance fee that is COMPLETE SCAM. Their Supervisor will not talk That explain they all part of this SCAM.

DO NOT RECOMMEND THEY ARE BUNCH OF ###.

• Andrea Hudson Nov 24, 2012

Dispute the charge with your bank and they will deal with the fitness center. While they are working on the dispute, you are not responsible for the charges.

Misrepresented SCAM!!

I was misrepresented by this company. I signed up for a month-to-month membership with NO contract. The company moved from the location I attended, and I could no longer attend at the new location because it was inconvenient. I faxed over a cancellation letter (30 days) and now I'm receiving harrassing phone calls that I owe them $158.00 from 2009, even though I clearly cancelled the membership (as requested). BEWARE BEFORE THEY SCAM YOU INTO A NO-CONTRACT MEMBERSHIP DEAL...THEY ADVERTISE THEM ALL THE TIME!!!

Cancel Membership

I have never had a bad experience while at Lady of America. However, dealing with their corporate...

Membership cancelled

I went to the LOA in person to cancel my membership. She "cancelled" it for me on the computer & told me to email the corp office, I had asked them to reply- but they did not. This was in August - Oct 15 I receive my credit card bill and I am still being charged. When I called the LOA - she said "Oh there is a 60 day notice! so your membership expires in 3 days" Wow!! what horrible service, not telling me that up front- I would have gottem my 60 days worth- a little shady if you ask me!

cancellation/billing/customer service

Not only was the staff unprofessional, but I didn't even receive my one hour of personal training that...

Poor customer service

My memebership is finally almost over!!! I've been a member of a fitness center since 1994. It was very considerate for my first 3 centers to contact me to see what was wrong if i wasnt sticking to my workout regime.That concern motivated me to keep on track !!

I was in the gym at least 5 out of 7 days a week. this fitness center "Lady Of America", was just the opposite. They had a 3 yr membership contract, that made me think these people were really concerned about my fitness... not once did they call with concern!!!

Closed gym

On Feb. 11, 2009 I signed a contract with LOA for 36 months. I had read on the internet of an LOA gym not too far from the area closing its doors just a year before and even questioned the sales associate about stability and was told they were doing well with membership and not to worry. On Oct. 14, 2009 (just 8 MONTHS) the doors were locked without notice. When I phoned National Fitness who does the billings/collections for LOA - they said our accounts would be froze until January, 2010 and there would be more information to come. I proceeded to send certified letters of cancellation as required by the contract to get released. On Oct. 29, 2009 I received a phone call telling me that my gym membership had been sold to GOLDS GYM -which they say is a comparable gym within the 10 mile radius as the contract states and I can not cancel my contract - they then informed me it was being turned over to a collection agency and would go against my credit. LOA advertises as a "specialized workout setting for women" and Golds Gyms is listed as "the world's largest co-ed gym". Gold's Gym is huge, it is co-ed, its classes are co-ed and personal training is done in co-ed areas. It's nothing in comparison to the "nice women's only gym" I joined. BE AWARE OF THE CONTRACT YOU SIGN AND THE INTEGRITY IF THE COMPANY YOU SIGN WITH. With later research I find there have been at least 9 LOA gyms within 25 miles of my home that are listed in the phone directory and they are all CLOSED. If I wanted to be a member of Golds I could have joined them for around $35.00/mo not the $64.90 I've been paying to LOA. I'm at risk for over $1, 800.00 There are over 100 women from my gym fighting this same battle. PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE AND GO WITH A MORE STABLE COMPANY - What you pay for may not be what you get!

spa membership

DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM!!! when the new owners took over they decided to down size into a much smaller, cramped area. Everything is compacted together. Then they decided to change the hours!!! They decided it was not worth it to them to keep the hours that they had when I joined originally. The owner showed no remorse in her decision and added that she could do this whenever she felt it necessary. They would not give me my money back - I had to join a real gym and now I pay for two memberships. Lady Fitness of American is not a real gym. They don't even have full weekend hours!!!

• Ge
    Gerri584 Nov 28, 2009

I find this gym to be everything I need in a fitness center. The vstaff is wonderful & help me with all my needs. I would recommend this facility to anyone. The best classes & instructors. Best gym membership I ever had...

Failure to honor contract

Unfortunately, I'm a memeber at the Reston, VA gym. It is very small and old, but it was cheap. There are no classes after 6 pm. so I can never make it to a class after work. I liked the belly dance class, but the instructor stopped teaching there. So there is nothing there appealing to me anymore. Besides, I moved to Leesburg and could no longer go to that gym. Their website says that you can cancel a membership if you move more than 25 miles away. I provided a mapquest print out showing a 26 mile drive and my new drivers license, as requested. But they still rejected my request! They said that I'm 22 miles away. Just 3 miserable miles! They used the private toll road in their calculation, which costs $5 each way. Can you believe it? I tried to talk to their customer service at ABC Fiancial, but nothing gets to those cold hearts. Don't sign up with Lady of America, you won't like it and there is no way OUT!

Angelica1106 Jul 14, 2009

I walked in to the 152 street and 137 ave in Miami, Fl the sales agent that I spoke with did not speak English well. I speak spanish but not as well as she did. I believe I went the total of 5 times to the gym. I was not happy at all with gym. Then I find out I am pregnant and at high risk therefore goin got the gym is not a option. I want to cancel my membership and I get a call from a collection agency pretending to be an attorney's office. We argue back and forth about the collection and then he tells me that he wants to serve me with papers along with my boyfriendm, which has nothing to do with the contract. The sales rep had asked me for an emergency contact and I named him. On her own she decided to put on the contract, that he was my husband. I am not married to him, he was not present and he did not sign. Now, the sales rep painted a pretty picture with the down payment and monthly payment on a seperate piece of paper showing me a "slash" in price, but what was not mentioned when she transfer it to the contract was the 36 months. I know for a fact I would of never signed it for that long. I do not know what to do, however with the research I have done it seem like LOA is notorious for scamming consumers. HELP what can I do

Double Billed Me Forever

They double billed me forever and took a small act of god to fix that. Then instead of refunding me the money they took, they gave me credit with them. They flat out scammed me. Then after that I fufilled my year contract and thought this nightmare was finally done. Now they claim I signed for a membership in a different county. I would avoid them like the plaque, they pass the buck and are run by idiots.

madatheworld Jun 16, 2010

I too have been scammed by this same location. I am looking for anyone who just signed on for their slim down challenge and a month later they close the doors without even saying a word and refer you to another gym not convenient for you but is in my 10 mile radius by 3 miles off. I received a letter from their collection agency after the fact informing me they were closing the doors that I would be transferred over to the Rockwall location across the lake. I hardly ever go to Rockwall. Please let me know if you are in the same boat I WILL FIGHT THIS!!!

Just want your money

Lady of Americas is the worst company you will ever deal with. Where should I start? First the membership rep lied to me about just about everything. She also never gave me a copy of my contract, which is also my fault for not asking, but I was young when I signed up and it was the first time I ever signed up for a gym membership. If you have a problem you have to deal with another company National Fitness Financial Services. They are no better. I called to ask when my membership was over and was informed that my last payment would be Feb 2009. I couldnt wait for Feb to come and then March came and no shock to me that I was still being charged. I was now informed that my membership goes to a monthly membership unless I send in a cancelation notice which then takes 30 days so I will also be charged for April. The gym in Homestead, FL is dirty and very small. There isnt even a light in the bathroom. Do not join Lady of America, if you do you will regret it!!! Trust me I had to learn the hard way.

Olivia May 10, 2009

I have had the worst experience with the one at Miami Lakes but I have no choice but to continue going since they have me stuck on the contract:
    1) When I fist signed up I explained that I do not live in Miami on a full time basis and that I needed a month to month. The young girl assured me it was not a contract and that it was month to month. Next thing I know they say it is for 36 months and there is no way out and Carmen, the manager actually said, "Well, you should have read the contract." I guess I should have...trusting the girl who clearly explained it as otherwise is not enough...
    2) I emailed Carmen three times and she only responded once to tell me she would be responding to my email. It has been over three months and she has yet to answer any of my emails.
    3) I was stopped at the door last month told that my monthly payment was not made. (I am on auto-pay out of my checking account.) I had 5 minutes to run to my trainer session so I told the girl at the front desk I would take care of it as soon as my workout was done. She refused me entry into the gym and said I could not go in until after I paid. I explained to her it must be some sort of mistake because I have more than enough in my account and it always comes out of there but that I had to hurry or miss my scheduled trainer appointment in the gym. She was rude and singlemindedly refused so I had to just go in and do my workout and tell her to investigate the issue and get back to me so I can help fix it. She was so rude and even threatened to call the police on me to get me out of the gym. She treated me like a common thief and I was so insulted.
    When I explained that I suspected that the problem was that Washington Mutual was changing over to Chase Manhattan and that they were sending new cards out she said, "No, because you are the only one with this problem and there are other Washington Mutual clients." She actually followed me to the treadmill to harass me, tell me this and then tell me she was calling the police. Wow.
    I called the home office and explained the situation.
    I also called my bank and IN FACT they said they had sent me a new debit card that showed Chase instead of WAMU. I went home and got the new card, which I did find in my mail box, and called it into the home office.
    3) I placed a complaint to Heidi in the home office, who was very empathetic and nice, and she said she would forward it on. She did and later followed up with me telling me Carmen said she would call me back. It has been over three weeks since Heidi told me that and still Carmen has not called me or answered my calls.

Not going to back down Jul 05, 2010

Carmen is an unprofessional, no class, cheesy, duck face, plastic surgury, hunchback from all the tummy tuck surgeries, saggy boobs unprofessional who gets off on screwing people over with their unbreakable, iron clad, no exeption to the rules contract! She will belittle you and try her hardest to make you feel as though she is the almighty queen of professionalism and gym god. WHen the truth is all she does is sit behind her desk and hide behind Lady of America's ruthless contracts that trick you into almost promising to give them your first born.

Take your money elsewhere. The girls in the gym are young minions fallowing the great big witch of the west and will do anything to make her happy. Stay away... These women have no shame!

Deducting fees/scammed on 36 month contract

I signed up for Lady of America in Napa, CA. The first owner had signs painted all over the doors saying, "Just $1.00 per day. No Contract." and so on. I talked to a trainer and said "Sign me up." The contract was NOT for 36 months. It was month to month. A short time after, I was contacted by the owner who said, "There's a problem with your contract so I will fill out a new one for you...no need for you to go through this since it's our mistake...all you have to do is sign it. At the time, she told me what the "problem" was, i no longer recall, but it seemed reasonable. When I called to cancel, however, I was told I couldn't as I had a 36 month contract.

By then, the facility's doors were locked and I was assured my payments weren't being taken out. Now, here's what I did that was wrong: I neglected to confirm on my bank statement as we get pages of transactions each month. Further, my husband is the one who usually looks them over and he, frankly, has no idea where Lady of America is open or closed or whatever. He rarely questions charges i have made.

So, they opened a new facility with new owners and I received a letter that they were happy to serve me, blah, blah. This time I was afraid that I was being charged and checked the bank statement and somehow missed the line where it says my money is still being debited. Well this new facility also closed just a few months later. So, thinking about it, I checked the latest statement and there it is again. I have contacted my bank who tells me this is a stop-payment issue and it will cost $30 and last for only six months. This tells me that this unscrupulous company is going to try seven months from now and be able to start taking money from me again. If they'll take money when there is no facility around, they'll stoop to other levels, I'm afraid.

Just a warning to everyone else

Fraud and scam

Lady of America is an elaborate scam. The sales projections are fake and the number of failed franchises is a lie. Be sure to attend their 'Discover Day', and you'll hear how people are signing up over one hundred members per month. You'll break-even in 3 months. And, the number of failed franchises is practically zero.

The truth is you might get 30 or even 40 members per month. But given the high royalty rate, high membership processing fee, and high rent, you will need over 500 members (maybe more) just to cover expenses. Be prepared to spend over a year trying to survive. Kiss your $200, 000 investment good-bye. Yes, $200, 000, not $100, 000 or $150, 000 like they told us. Hell, there own start-up equipment list costs more that their equipment estimate.

Franchises are dropping dead left and right, but they continue to sell franchises. What we have here is a used car salesman that sells cars that don't work. It is always the driver's fault that the car doesn't work. Regardless, they keep selling broken cars that no one can drive.

Would you rather resell a failed franchise for $100, 000 or collect royalties? Failed franchises are more lucrative. Just ask the owner, Roger Wittenberns, who lives in a $6.26 million house.

Don't buy a Lady of America franchise. Franchisees are not supposed to succeed. If you do decide to buy, ask for a bankruptcy form with your Franchise Agreement. You'll need it later.

Olivia May 10, 2009

I have had the worst experience with the one in Miami Lakes but I have no choice but to continue going since they have me stuck on the contract:
    I called the home office and explained the situation.
    4) I placed a complaint to Heidi in the home office, who was very empathetic and nice, and she said she would forward it on. She did and later followed up with me telling me Carmen said she would call me back. It has been over three weeks since Heidi told me that and still Carmen has not called me or answered my calls.

• De
    defraudedfranchisee Aug 13, 2010

I feel your pain and so doo 100's of others both franchisees and customers. I was a franchisee and took a hit. Roger Wittenberns did not, when his jig was up he sold the corporation and reinvented the LWE under the name Butterfly Fitness only to defraud 100's more. There was not as much on the internet when I bought my franchise but I sure do hope people google names like Diversified Health and Fitness, Roger Wittenberns, Butterfly Health, Lady of America, Ladies Workout Express so they can start doing some true due dilligence before spending their life savings, mortgating their homes to keep a club running, or like you said they should be prepared to sign up, buy the franchise and then start filling out the bankruptcy forms! I've included a picture of Roger's lifestyle he is a true narcissist as he brags about this lifestyle...You would think that a person involved in health and fitness for a lifetime would actually be fit...Go to the Florida Powerboat website and look at the pics of he and his nasty A$$ wife Patty...They are oveweight slobs. That in itself should be enough to make you realize that the only reason he is involved n the fitness industry is as a scam artist.

collection

I become a member of Lady of America Gym located at 87 Ave and 72 St(already closed)on 01/18/01.My American Express paid every month the amount of $ 21.24 .
When they closed that location I came to another location far from my home and explain to them the need to cancel my contract, because I need a surgical treatment and can continue coming to the Gym.I am a physician and everything was set.
They stop sending bills to my credit car so I supose every thing was clear.
But 3 weeks ago (8 years after that my account was closed)a collection agency was calling me 3 times a day to my phone asking me for a payment of more than $300.00 dollars.
They say that previous letters sent to my office were return to them.
This of course ia a lie, because I never received any letter, and my office is in that location for the last 20 years.They only ask, When are you going to send the money?I told them I have my rights to see what is going on with this matter, but they are disturbing me with that calls, and dont send the papers to see what happens.

How can I resolved this situation, to stop the abuse of the collectiions agencies.

Dues

I joined this gym in January of 2005. I have paid my dues all that time.

This summer, a special was run at a lower rate that what I am paying. I talked to management and they told me that in order to get that rate I would have to pay $49.95 and then my monthly rate would be adjusted.

In my opinion, I think they are punishing the loyal members that have been there for a period of time. The new members are getting a better rate then the present members. I just think this is very unfair.

Beware customer

I belonged to the Lady of America in Deerfield Beach, Fl. My contract with them was for three years with very little room for backing out. I married in June of 2007 and moved to Franklin, Tn while our new home in Athens, Al was being built.

We closed and moved into our new home the 21st of August and I stopped the automatic payment from my checking acct at that time and sent proof of my new residence via a copy of our deed and my marriage certificate showing the name change. Please note that there is no LOA anywhere near Athens, Al. If there was I would gladly have gone as I enjoyed my experience at the gym.

They declined my submissions as proof and said they needed closing papers so I sent them. Again declined cause they were not signed copies. Contacted the Title company and had signed copies sent. Again, declined as proof of my residence as I am not on the mortgage loan. I am not on by choice, however I am on the deed and all other legal documents.

Okay, I send them our Homestead Tax Exemption papers which has both our names on it, shows the address and date of closing and can be obtained ONLY if it is your primary residence...again..declined as proof. Finally I send my license but since I did not obtain it till Nov, they want to charge me the extra three months, plus collection fees, plus late fees, etc.

It has been a nightmare dealing with these people. All I owe them is 20% of the remaining months which is under $130 but they are trying to really take me to the cleaners. I am so sorry to have ever hooked up with this company.

I have since checked the Better Business Bureau and they have a D rating. Not good folks. Beware. - Deborah Taylor

• Xi
    xiaoxia chen Aug 26, 2008

Dear Julia:
    Would you please update me how did you do to finally cancel your membership. I am having a similar condition as you. I moved from FL to IL and paid the cancellation fee at Feb but after 4 month they are still charging me.
    Thank you very much!

• Ev
    evyjets Oct 16, 2008

LADIES OF AMERICA IS THE BIGGEST SCAM! DO NOT SIGN THEIR CONTRACT. YOU ARE BIND IT IN FOR LIFE! With automatic pay deductions and AUTOMATIC RENEWAL membership. Should you choose to leave it won't happen! Why you say? Cause you signed their contract which allows them to keep taking your money rentlessly.

This agreement does not include the annual new equipment fee" which I suppose to them means that they can add an annual fee at anytime and for any price that is up to them. It doesn't make sense to me but somehow it made more sense to them and their contract you signed. If you don't pay, they send you to the collection agency which in turn gives you bad credit for 7 years.

You are at their mercy, if you think you can run to a lawyer for help on this fraudulent gym, forget it they won't assist you in it sinced you signed the contract.
    It's bind, & sealed at the mercy of the gym. You have no case here.

DO NOT JOIN ANY GYM - THEY'VE ALL HAVE THE SIMILAR CONTRACT!

• Rm
    RMT Nov 12, 2008

Same thing just happened to me with Lady of America in Los Paseos, Puerto Rico. I was led to believe I was signing a month-to-month contract and gave them my credit card to debit the monthly payments. When I tried to cancel my membership, they took me to a collection agency. I ended up paying over $1, 000 to save my credit.
    LADY OF AMERICA IS A BIG SCAM!!
    You are better off just buying a tredmill and just exercising at home.

• Ev
    E.V. Nov 20, 2008

I am so pissed by the said manager( Twila) of the Lady of America in Albuquerque, New Mexico. They are a scam . Their contract is a joke. I ended paying money they don't deserve. They did not honor my cancellation request and even ask me for more charges when I complained to them that they are still charging my card monthly after I requested to cancel. Demanded to cancel fits better because a cancellation request is hardly acknowledged by this scam company! Do not go to this gym and I will never recommend this gym to anyone.

• Fr
    fredscrown Apr 26, 2012

THIS IS SO TRUE! I EXPERIENCED THE VERY SAME MISREPRESENTATION BY THIS LOA FITNESS CLUB! IT'S FRUSTRATING SO BUYER BEWARE AT LOA FITNESS CLUB IN DALLAS, TX!!!

• Fr
    fredscrown Apr 26, 2012

FILE WITH YOUR LOCAL BBB...THAT SHOULD HELP! I JUST DID TODAY, AND I FEEL SOOOO MUCH BETTER!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices