Apple Computers / Fraud and cheating

I bought an iPhone 3G on Sept 20, 08. The phone broke at 32 days (Oct 22, only white screen can be seen) while I was charging it using a computer and Apple's USB cable. I did not abuse it nor drop it at all. I bought a protective skin right after buying the phone.

After hours of conversation with Apple technician, I was told to go to the Apple store at Northbrook, Illinois. It was swapped with a refurbished phone only. After using the refurbished phone for a few days, it started to behave funny, the light had problem. After another round of conversation, the customer support finally agreed to send me a brand new one. The brand new phone is concluded as a broken BRAND NEW phone since it does not take any SIM cards AT&T put in.

I went back to the Apple store, I was offered another reburbished phone again. I refused to take it. I was told by the technican in the store if the phone was bought in an Apple store, it is subject to be replaced by a brand new phone. Since the phone was purchased in a AT&T store, only refurbished phone can be offered as a replacement. I feel unreasonable on this kind of arrangement since customers who buy iphone from AT&T are treated unequally and were not warned in advance. Moreover, AT&T is the only phone company which is authorized by Apple to sell iphone. Even if I go back to AT&T, Apple does not authorize AT&T to swap a brand new for the customer either.

Another thing is : a customer uses $299 to buy a brand new phone and if it broke, there is no reason it is replaced by a refurbished phone when the phone is still under warranty. All the technicians and customer support person keep telling customers 'refurbished phone' is not being used by anyone before but were heavily tested. I think this is a big lie since they could not answer me how they first justify to make a brand new phone to become a refurbished phone.

Va

Comments

• Da
      25th of Feb, 2011

My son has been trying to buy a new Macbook Pro on the apple.ca site. He is a student at University. The cost of the computer on the apple.ca site is: $2, 049 base price, plus $90 for an upgrade to the high res glossy screen, plus $5 Alberta recycling fee, for a Total of $2, 144. The website does not disclose to customers what the tax will be, BUT in Alberta it is a flat 5% GST. The total should be $2251.20. He has tried to put this through on his VISA card BUT Apple tries to charge his card $2, 487.54. I have talked to numerous Apple employees, some of whom have tried to tell me this is not Apples problem because Apple does not collect the tax, the government does. (Wrong, Apple collects taxes and remits the tax collected to the government). Other Apple employees simply have no idea what I am talking about. Just what Apple does with the extra 11% is unknown. Is it remitted to the government or is it simply a skimming operation? Whatever, my son wants to buy a computer and not get cheated by Apple.
    A) Does anyone at Apple have the intelligence to comprehend this? So far...no.
    B) Does anyone at Apple care? So far...no.
    C) Can this person that cares fix this problem? So far...no.

• Da
      25th of Feb, 2011

Still no response from anyone at Apple