Ancestry. Co. Uk / Incompetent administration

United Kingdom Review updated:
Ancestry swiped 83 pounds out my account under the guise of a subscription fee ( card not present transaction ) I haven't logged onto the site for six months and I deleted my direct debit to them from Barclays bank terminal. Yet they reinstated it with Barclays help. Ancestry agreed to refund it in 5 working days. Two weeks later the money has still not turned up and Ancestry said it may not be there for another week because they are having "problem" with their new payment system. ANCESTRY NOT ONLY DOCUMENT THE PAST, THEY'RE LIVING IN IT. In this modern age bank transactions can be made in one day. If your systems are failing go to plan B. It could be done quickly they just don't care or feel any moral responsibility fix there mistakes quickly. My advise is DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO ANCESTRY.CO.UK UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. They won't stop taking your money and they wont give it back.

Comments

To
  26th of Feb, 2009
yes i had the same experience recently. Didn't read the small print and was taken for a ride.
You take advantage of their 14 day offer and then lose interest and then find they are billing you and they cite the contractual terms that you nevere read! They must swindle millions worldwide. Am writing to my MP!
Mi
  1st of Apr, 2009
Ancestry have told me they intend to renew my subscriptio if I don't cancel by the 8th April. I have gone into their website but there is no way one can cancel a subscription. They give you the steps to take but when you get into the website they are not there.
I feel frustrated and find it difficult to believe they would do this but the proof is in the pudding. I don't trust them at all.
Michael Young
Jo
  21st of Aug, 2009
I have paid a sub for a year and have had hours of fun researching my family tree. I have been able to make contact with distant family members and have found family all over the UK. It has been a real treat. I dread when my year is up as I do not know if I will be able to afford another year. By then I hope to have done all I need, have all the addresses where my family lived, Then I, from South Africa, a brother from Australia and a brother from London are all going to meet in London and explore where the family all lived and get an ide of how they lived in those days gone by.

Ancestry Logo Ancestry