American Express / charge denied for no reason
Amex card holder since 1974. Always paid off the entire balance every month. Used it three times sunday night, nov 9, 2008, for about $200 total. Less than 24 hours later, a $50+ was denied at a grocery store because I had never shopped there before! Don't ever recall being declined before.
First, that's bull. It had been two years since I shopped in one of those stores, but I had shopped with them before.
Second, try and get a believable answer by calling one of their "service" numbers. You end up talking to someone in india who obviously has no idea what standing in a grocery line is about and told me I should have called them on the spot to clear up the matter! Next time, i'm leaving the groceries and walking out.
Third, even if it was a fraudulent charge, it was just above $50. Technically, i'm responsible for teh first $50 of fraudulent activity and they cover the rest. So why decline a charge that's so small? Seems more like harassment than protection to me!
More American Express Complaints & Reviews
- American Express - canceled card with no notice 
- American Express - debt collection 
- American Express - interest rate increase 
- Your Centurion Card - fraud 
- American Express - penalty for paying bill early 
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - my card 
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - customer service, zero help! 
- American Express - credit card/ my account was closed without my permission
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - american express - car hire mileage [ref: 180222-004261]
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - trip id: 2471-8267; return flight