American Eagle / collection of account that was paid off

1 FL, United States Review updated:

I had an account with American Eagle Outfitters (GE Money Bank). The account became past due because I was out of work for 5 months. When I regained employment, I paid off the bill that had been turned over to a collection agency by the name of Encore. I had paid Encore in full.

Two months later, I received a letter stating that I owed them the full amount of the past due GE account. I stated over and over that I had paid them off. I even gave them the confirmation number. They told me that it wasn't enough that I would need to call Encore and get copies of the pay off. Which I did... I didn't hear from them again... until 3 months later. I again told them that the debt had been paid off. The gentleman on the phone called me a liar and said that if I continued, he would report me as "refusing to pay" and it would affect my credit. The bill had been paid off for 5 months. The guy on the phone was very rude not once, but every time that they have called. Even after I have proven that the account is paid off.

Now, Here it is again, and it's 2 months later, and this morning I received another call from Aegis. They are still trying to collect a PAID OFF bill, and still don't believe that the bill has been paid off. ... So I called Encore again. Spoke with a very nice fellow, who indicated that AEGIS DOES NOT HANDLE AMERICAN EAGLE... WOW... He said that sometimes they will get a name; Jane Doe;... and they will call 20 Jane Does to try to find the correct one... in order to collect a debt. That the debt that they are actually collecting may not even be yours. He also indicated that I should await another call, and make the company verify all information about me and my account. He said it's possible that they are trying to collect on an account or a debt that isn't even theirs... He told me not to worry about the bill, if they try to collect on it again, simply hang up on them, and that the account has been recorded as paid off on October 8th, and that there should be no more responsibility for this debt.

So the information from MY previous collection agency is that you should make THEM verify YOUR information... Put the "ownness" on them. DO NOT allow them to make you verify it... ask them to give you the information... There is a possibility that they may be trying to get personal information that they are not entitled to have.

Be

Comments

• Be
      6th of Mar, 2009

So sorry...the complaint is about AEGIS RECEIVEABLES MANAGEMENT...not American Eagle