Amazon.com

amazon refund nightmare

4.8
Amazon.com
www.amazon.com
Well, I have shopped with Amazon for years and was one customer who spent a lot of money with them. I did most of my Christmas shopping thru them as well as gifts all year round. I never had a problem with them until now and did it turn out to be some mess!!!! I ordered a camera from them on Dec 8th. I received it on Dec 12th and realized I ordered the wrong camera. I called Amazon and Mary was the person on the other end. I explained to her I ordered the wrong camera, that the mistake was mine and can I return it ASAP so I could re-order the correct one.. She assured me I could and sent an UPS shipping label to me. I then explained to her that I wanted to place an order for the correct camera and get it in time for xmas but that I would need the refund credited back to me before I could do that.

Needless to say, credits go much much slower than the debits!!! I asked if there was anyway she could expedite things for me. She advised me to get that return camera back out to her as soon as I can. A little while later I get an email from Mary saying: Due to the circumstances surrounding your order, I have made a one-time exception to our standard policy. For an advance refund.

I thought that was a great gesture on their part and I was praising Amazon!!!!! Indeed on 12/13 I went to the site and found under that purchase: refund settled; amount of $216.31 (minus shipping) refunded back to bank account and they sent me an email to confirm.

I waited a day and then re-ordered the correct camera thinking that the deposit from them would should be back in my account before they took the new amount out.

On Dec 17th I get a notice from my bank that I have an overdraft and I find out that Amazon never deposited the money back into my account. SO on the 17th I placed my first call and got Miah and after going over everything she advises me to contact Telecheck. Now, this just did not seem right to me. I didnt pay with a check and I didnt like the feeling of being blown off by her. I call Telecheck and after a long waste of time I find out they cant help me. So I call Amazon AGAIN and now I get Mary!!!!! Now Mary seems very helpful and assures me with a speech that this is going to be settled, not to worry, she will take care of this for me. She advises me to fax my bank statement to her for verification of bank fees and showing no deposit yet from Amazon and also advises me to call my bank and check on their end as she felt they could be holding things up for some reason (huh?) Yeah, whatever. One other thing: she is forwarding an inquiry to their billing dept to find out where the money went. She follows up with an email confirming her advice to me and ends with saying I will hear from them in 1-2 days. I faxed my bank statement and also called my bank and the manager did a search of their records and just as I had suspected, they had received nothing from Amazon. I call back a third time that day and got Reena and just asked her to update my status with a note that my bank is not the one holding up the money.

Well, I had received no communications whatsoever from Amazon and decided I was going to call on the 18th and see if someone could give me an update and see if anything is moving ahead here and making progress. Now I get a Ron who gives me that very same speech about being certain he could resolve this and leaving me all warm inside. I go over the whole story AGAIN and he then proceeds to put me on hold. He comes back on and tells me it's too bad I didnt get him from the beginning because he could have helped me then. Now, it's too late, everything is pending and everything right has been done on their part and there was nothing more to do. I was getting the blow-off!!!! Oh, he says, one last thing, he'll give me a $30 gift certificate for my troubles. He'll get that off to me right away. Well, thanks for that gesture.

Dec 19th- no word from Amazon regarding anything, no money and no stupid $30 gift certificate. Now they are just adding insult to injury!!!!!

Dec 20th-called AGAIN got Angelo this time who gives me the very same exact speech but says it like he REALLY REALLY means it!!!! reiterates all the same things to me: sending an inquiry to billing and now he'll up that gift certificate to $60 because he's really really sorry about all this!!!! He makes arrangements to call me between 10 and 11 am the next day to tell me how the inquiry with billing goes.

Well, by 11:30 the next morning after getting no phone call from my friend Angelo, I call and get Alvin who makes me go through the whole damn story AGAIN and he proceeds to give me that VERY SAME EXACT SPEECH and I realize now with horror that they are all just reading a speech off a piece of paper. I get a chill from this. I ask to escalate this now and pass me along to a supervisor. After making me hold for 45 minutes (!!!!!!). I'm pretty sure that I spent an easy 6 to 8 hours on the phone by now.

Now I get Kirk the supervisor!!!! Now here's someone who should be able to get to the bottom of things. First I get that speech which she recites a few times during our conversation then makes me go over everything all over again!!! No one seems to pass on the info or read the notes that everyone tells me there are entering into the computer. Just wasting my time......

What do you think happened???? After much pleading with her to please give me my money back before Christmas as I could really use it, she implies several times that she's suspicious about my bank being the problem, she will forward this to billing (this is the third freaking time I heard this). I told her this was done twice before without results and why did she think I should expect results this time? She told me she has friends in billing and she will get to the bottom of this eventually. Essentially, the supervisor offered nothing more than all the other people I talked to, she really blew me off and didnt even comment on the missing gift certificates. She wasnt going to go there and made that perfectly clear. She also made it clear that I wasnt going to get this money by Christmas and she didnt know how long it would take. Basically, I have been given a royal run around by this big company who have wasted hours of my time, cost me bank fees, took my money and kept it and didnt keep one promise any of them made to me. I am disgusted big time with Amazon and will do everything I can to publicize my story and embarrass them!!!! Also, I paid with a credit card and am filing a complaint with them to recover my money as I dont think Amazon is ever going to give me back my money!!!
Complaint comments Comments (13)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category E-Shopping

Comments

N  21st of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
A) Have you considered contacting the BBB to help mediate this situation?
B) How about PC World Magazine "On Your Side"? They are a good mediator.

Your situation seems very unfortunate and I am wondering if you could try a mediator to get your money. It seems what has happened that either their billing department has denied the money sent to your bank or there is some type of computer error that didn't get the money to your bank account. It seems at least they should issue you a paper check if they are having all those computer errors.

Pablo
D  14th of Apr, 2008 by    -1 Votes
1) You shouldn't be riding your account to the point of being easily overdrafted and 2) Amazon refunds aren't instant.
D  28th of Apr, 2009 by    -1 Votes
As a business owner I know when a credit card is refunded it can take up to 7 BUSINESS DAYS for the credit card companies to deposit the money back to an account. Even though Amazon said it was refunded it doesn't mean that it was instant. Your real complaint would be with your credit card company taking so long to process the refund. When a refund is processed it goes from the companies merchant account to a payment gateway, is withdrawn from the company's bank account two days later and then sent to the customer's credit card account. Usually all this is instant and in most circumstances is back in a customer's account within 2-3 days but it does depend on what bank you use and their policies. I think you should have harassed your bank because they were probably holding the money and not releasing it to your account promptly.
N  28th of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
@pdoff "company's merchant"
Fixed.
N  17th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
WOW this is amazing I am so scared now to do my credit...
D  2nd of Jun, 2010 by    -1 Votes
Advanced refunds only complicate matters. It is always better to simply wait until they receive the item back and let them credit the account the normal way. It is unreasonable to expect a company to refund money, without having the item back in their inventory, let alone for the reason of customer error.

My guess as to how this ended up (I'd be curious to know the results)... the refund was in fact posted, and there was either an error on the bank's part or Telecheck's part. The $60 "gift cards" were actually customer service promos that applied to the next order you placed on the website, which you eventually realized. You also eventually realized that when contacting customer service many different times regarding an issue that has already been resolved, and talking to a real human being, you have to repeat the same information many times, and you will hear the same response many times. Calling repeatedly does not change the outcome of a resolved situation, being that Amazon had done their part and requested the refund.
N  7th of Jun, 2014 by    0 Votes
Beware any response posted like the kind posted on June 2nd 2010, those kind are posted by people how are "control damage specialists" .

I was sent the wrong product from an Amazon seller who does not even sell the kind of product I had paid for which I found out about after the fact. Once the item was sent back to the seller and received, I filed a return of payment claim, the seller decided to keep $75 of my money with no explaination and they had no lawful reason to do so in the first place as they were the party in error. Amazon has been no help and simply is giving me the run around. The seller sells motorcycle parts and I order car parts. The hollow thing is insane and yet Amazon simply does not care. Now I'll be filling in small claims court, thanks to the shaddy dealings with the seller and their partner Amazon. Beware of Amazon!
A  30th of Sep, 2015 by    0 Votes
Hello.. even i bought one watch worth of 18495 and have been following uo with them sincce from month.. they are not refunding my money.. really this is very worst shopping website in india.. they are satisfying there sellers not customer..
A  30th of Sep, 2015 by    -1 Votes
Dont buy anything from amazon.in .. this k e is very worst in refunding our money. They really dont care in refunding money. I had been maiked to jeff@amazon.com no is ready to take care if my issue in refunding my money..
N  19th of Mar, 2017 by    -1 Votes
Bought an incubator, wasnt happy with it, egg turner wouldnt turn properly, hard to clean.Contacted seller through Amazon's email system.
Well got a full refund from seller.But, seller asked me to find the shipping for parcel, they sent me the funds through amazon.GBP 12.98.
I am going to copy and paste cos its easyer.the seller first.
We have issued the return shipping fee GBP12.98 and we have issued you the full refund GBP 53.79 of the item . The total refund is £66.77 .Please kindly check your account balance.
Quite clear one would think, and woohoo i got my money back!
Or so i thought, Amazon's mail to me.
Item: Iglobalbuy 56 Digital Chicken Egg Incubator Hatcher Supply Fully Automatic Egg Turning Temperature Control
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B01CJL7TH4
Reason for refund: Customer return

The following is the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: £40.81
Goodwill Refund: £12.98

What goodwill?? that was shipping!!!
Well i have contacted Amazon saying that what they are doing is fraud/theft, cos they have transcripts of emails and the seller gives them the money and instruction to pay refund.
Some might think i am a scrooge, but take the bigger picture, if they do this to half a million customers for 1 GBP or USD that a hell of a lot of money!!!
I will not be buying any more objects from Amazon ever! Just Kindle books, i have jhd problems with these in the past but had it resolved quickly.
Bigger the firm, bigger the crooks!!!
A  2nd of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
Going through the same type of situation. Purchases a monitor for Christmas which was returned 1/13. Amazon stated refund had been issued. The problem was my card number was stolen and had to be cancelled which was explained on the first call to Amazon. They said it shouldn't be a problem and it would still get credited back to my account. Waited a couple of weeks and no refund. I called them back and they said I would have to contact my bank because their processor shows the credit was issued. I called my bank and they researched the transaction and said it was rejected. My bank sent me a copy of the rejection which I provided to Amazon. Several calls later with many promises made I still do not have my money. It is ridiculous that I have to spend so much time and effort to get my money back.
A  12th of Dec, 2017 by    0 Votes
I purchased a Samsung Electronics UN55MU6490 Curved 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model) Order # 112-6572612-9673834 Ordered on November 23, 2017. I recieved it on November 28th and it did not work. Only half the Screen would display. I called Amazon and started a return on the item and UPS picked it up on November 29th. The UPS and Amazon confirmed they received it back on December 4th. I was told that as soon as they recieved it my refund would be processed in 3~5 business days which would mean that according to what they said I should have received a refund no later that Dec. 8. Today is December 12 and I have called many times, still no refund. Very disapointed in Amazon.
N  12th of Dec, 2017 by    0 Votes
Update: after writing to the president I received a call within a couple days and all was resolved. Was also given a gift card for all the problems.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree