Amana Bottom Freezer Fridge / A lemon by any other name... is still a lemon!

I have called two service technicians and noone could figure out the problem. I complained to Amana/Whirlpool/Maytag/Kitchenaid Consumer beware! These are all the same product ! A lemon by any other name... is still a lemon! The service at the store I purchase it at wasn't much better. After purchasing all my appliances there, he was rude to me when confronted by a problem and refused to take any responsibility. The store is called Morley's Appliances, in Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada I would spend my money elsewhere. Once he had my money, he couldn't care less about me.

Back to the product. The Amana built in look Fridge with bottom freezer. At first it made strange noises turning off and on fan noise,then clicking sound, then an electrical buzzing sound. At first the vegetables would freeze at the lowest setting. I found myself needing to defrost a frostfree freezer. Then the freezer would defrost and refreeze again. I had to throw out all the food. The repair man could not see the problem so he couldn't fix it. I worked for a while after I defrosted it 2 months later again spontaneously defrosts. The layer below the tray under the freezer collapses and gets stuck to the floor because it is wet and made of cardboard ($2,500 for this...!)The technician can't do anything. Again the freezer refreezers and when the technician gets here he can't figure out what's wrong. The fridge is barely 6 years old MAY 30, 2001 purchase date. When I voice my complaint to Amana (Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid amalgamated, so it is the same company), after waiting more than an hour on line to get through to their 800 number, the tell me that they are not sure they can help me but can send a technician for a second opinion . Even if he manages to fix the product I still have to pay for labor, but she'll do me a favour and not charge me again for his service call ( his drive to my house) since my warranty from my last service call was less than 30 days ago to their factory authorized dealer recommended by them. The customer service agent assured me that the technician knew what he was doing except he doesn't know how to fix compressors, but his diagnosis is that it is the compressor. Furthermore their warranty is only for 5 years, but my booklet indicates a warranty of up to 10 years on sealed parts such as compressors. It is so frustrating, especially when all she can tell me is that we are upfront about our products, the warranty is for 5 years only," things break down she tells me, I know you are disappointed...".

Is that the understatement of the year... I have 3 kids, I had to throw out the food and Even the second opinion is not come till some time tomorrow between 8-4:00 pm.

I live in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area. I will update you. Even if they fix the product estimated $600, warranty is only good for 3 months.

A  7th of Sep, 2007 by
I have e-mailed you about what seems to be similar problem that we are experiencing but I thought I should comment openly.

The problem started about 2 weeks ago with our Kenmore bottom freezer fridge (AKA Amana). The starting relay will buzz trying to start the compressor, the buzzing will last about 5 seconds and then click off leaving the cooling fan running. It was doing this 4 -5 times and then on the sixth time the compressor would start and run normally. I replaced the starting relay on the side of the compressor on the advice of a technician. This has had no impact on the problem at all. Yesterday the compressor would not even start, just buzzing and clicking. When I got home from work I put my hand on the compressor to feel the temperature and it was extremely hot. We unplugged it for the night concerned about the heat being generated and this morning plugged it back in and it started and ran as normal. Unfortunately the problem has returned and our food is softening as we speak. My gut feeling is that the compressor is failing/failed and is possibly seized or seizing?

Our fridge is only two years old and out of warranty. My understanding is that the compressor has a 10 year warranty and all other sealed items like the cooling lines are 5 years.

Like you, we are awaiting a technician tomorrow sometime between 8 and 4.

Amana Brand Logo Amana Brand