Ally Bank / Illegal Banking Practices

1 PA, United States Review updated:

I opened a checking account with Ally via the internet. Supplementing the application, I mailed the signed signature card and a money order to be used as the initial balance for my account. After waiting 4 weeks, I finally call to inquire when I will receive my debit card, checks, etc, only to be told that there is a "block" on my account. The person who put the bock on my account - Cathy Kaufman - is the only person who can answer ANY questions I have and also remove the block. I was given a number to reach Cathy, which I called several times and even left voice messages for. She never returned my calls because she vacations 80% of the time. I finally didn't reach her until 2 months later! When we spoke, she informed me that the block was put on my account b/c my address couldn't be verified against public records. Given her nasty attitude throughout I told her to just forget the whole thing to close my account and send me my money back. She said she will NOT close my account and will NOT refund my money until I send her a copy of my driver's license that shows the same address that was used to open the account with. WHAAAAAAAAAAAT???? THAT IS ILLEGAL.

According to CIP laws, when a person opens an account, the bank is to only take money from customers AFTER they have been fully verified. Since my account was never fully verified due to this address issue, Ally should've never cashed the money order I sent them and they certainly shouldn't be refusing to return it.

STAY AWAY FROM ALLY. THEIR POSITIVE CUSTOMER REVIEWS ARE A JOKE.

Al
May 14, 2013

Comments

• Bo
      18th of Feb, 2014