Allegiant Airlines / closes ticket counter early

1 Las Vegas, NV, United States Review updated:

I recently booked a flight with Allegiant Air over Labor Day Weekend, not realizeing it was Labor Day. I was going from Las Vegas to Monterey CA to visit my brother who lived in Santa Cruz. Everything was fine until I was to return on Sunday, and my flight was to leave at 3:05pm I left Santa Cruz at 12:30 which I thought should have been plenty of time...it was bumper to bumper...I called the rental car office and they said, "don't worry about the car just leave it out front and throw us the keys" which was very nice for them to be so accomdating. I ran to the ticket counter and it was 2:35, no one around? I asked a US Airways agent and he said that they had called for someone to come to the counter because there where about 5 other customers wanting to get on board the flight to Las Vegas. This American Egale Agent came back to the counter at 3:12, we were all very upset. This India Man named Ali was so rude I could not believe it! I had to purchase a oneway ticket from US Airways for 200 bucks because I needed to be at home the next day. I have been flying Allegiant for several years and I have told many many people about them, but not anymore...This same exact thing just happened to a friend of mine who drove from San Jose Ca to Monterey to catch a flight to Las Vegas and she arrived there at 2:40 and the agents refused to come to the counter to allow her to board the airplane and she is watching passengers board the plane and they wouldn't allow her because she was, "Late"! This is crap!!! One of the other complainants who wrote earlier sure got it right, "you get what you pay for"!!! I have had it with Allegiant. They also damaged property that was in my luggage and their response was basically, "Tough"!!! I am going to tell everyone I know NOT to fly this airline and I am going to pass this and the other emails along to everyone I can to promote this airline demise~!!! How dare they treat their customoers in this manner!!!
Disgruntled Customer

Ja

Comments

• Fr
      3rd of Apr, 2010

I scheduled a trip to Blaine Washington from Palm Springs for my wife to spend her birthday with our grand children. I booked the flight 3 weeks ahead of time, and surprised her with the planned trip the morning of her departure.
    On April 1st, 2010 arriving at the check in counter of Allegiant Air in Palm Springs at 10:37am for a flight scheduled for departure at 11:20am (43 minutes before departure) we were informed by the agent assisting a family of 4 (the father was wrapping his Coleman cooler with duct tape) just ahead of us that the counter was now closed, that we were considered a "NO SHOW" and we would not be allowed to check in and that we had forfeited our air fare. At first, I thought this was just a bad April fool’s joke. To my AMAZEMENT, it was not.
    As we argued our importance of boarding this flight, another passenger scheduled for this flight, a young mother, with an infant daughter, whose husband was based out of the local 29 Palms Marine Base and was serving duty in Iraq, joined us in line to check in. This young girl was traveling to Blaine Washington to be with her mother who was in the hospital and was scheduled for stage 4 cancer surgery the following day. She explained her situation to the agent, asked for reconsideration to her boarding this flight, as she could not afford to forfeit her fare, and could not afford the additional $258.00 fare for the flight departing the following evening.
    Keep in mind, Palm Springs Airport, even though it is considered an International Airport, is neither a very busy airport, it is also designed as a rather small, easy to maneuver airport. I have flown out of the facility numerous times because of its convenience, and ability to move thru quickly. I am certain we could have been at the boarding gate with time to spare to board this plane.
    On witnessing this poor display of customer service, 2 couples, waiting to check in at the competitor airline (WestJet) next to the Allegiant Air counter came over and purchased the ticket necessary for this young girl to travel to see her mother the following evening. A TRUE ACT OF HUMAN KINDNESS!! Much unlike the way the agent from Allegiant Air had treated us. I truly feel this agent got pleasure out of denying my wife and this young mother boarding, as she had a bit of a smirk on her face during the entire episode. Her only rebuttal was that we obviously had not read the Terms and Conditions of Allegiant when we purchased our tickets.
    I will admit I did not know the airline REQUIRED a 2 hour check in time prior to departure…which seems rather extreme considering this particular airport. I think it necessary they find a way, besides the fine print in their T’s & C’s to inform their customers of such an unusual requirement. I also feel, if a passenger does not arrive with the RERQUIRED check in time, they at LEAST be given the opportunity to move through the security screening and attempt to get to the gate prior to departure. If at that point, we fail to catch the plane, shame on us for missing the flight.
    Don’t take my word for it…check out the reviews of this airline on www.rateitall.com. You will see ALL airlines rated, and Allegiant has the most reviews to date (153) with the worst rating (2.35 of 5 stars) of all the airlines.
    Needles to say, this is by far the worst display of customer service on the part of ANY company I have ever experienced!

• St
      18th of Jun, 2010

Similar situation happened to me on Allegiant Airlines. I have never had to arrive at airport 2 HOURs prior to departure, but was told by Allegiant Airlines I could not get on my flight 45 minutes prior to departure. I asked if I could apply $ toward a different flight, fly standby and was told firmly "no, I would forfeit all of my money" READ THE FINE PRINT. This discount airline will get your money or your time somehow..trust me.