Air Canada / Aeroplan Card / Points were canceled without notification!

I have been a Aeroplan Card holder since 1993. At that time I was using Air Canada for business trips and the point system seemed like a great way to save up for free trips.

I had hoped to save enough points so that when I retired I would be able to go on a nice Holiday. It is now 2007, I am now retired. I hadn't used my Aeroplan card since 2002. I phoned the 800# to see how many points I had... they said 0. I found my 2002 statement and it showed 36,835 points. I phoned them back and they said if your card was unused for 3 years that the points were canceled and the only way to get the points back is by buying them. A starting fee of $30. Plus 1 cent for each point I wanted back... that would be $398.35 (Ca). I was shocked to say the least. I asked why they hadn't notified me of this cancellation. They said it was posted on their website. So much for my retirement holiday. The decision is do I pay the money or has anyone found a better way to deal with this problem?

Plz advise smb!

Va

Comments

• Mi
      21st of Mar, 2007

My husband was in exactly the same position. Members since the early 90's. Suddenly we found out in July 2006 that all his points were gone.

No notification. Air Canada when contacted has been totally uncooperative. In fact after the first phone call, they marked our file as closed. Subsequent agents have totally refused to discuss this matter with us as file is now "Closed". But... like yourselves we can purchase back the point we earned... for a price.

Current system is even worse. If your account remains inactive for 1 year - your points are gone.

• Kj
      13th of Apr, 2007

Same deal to me ... those "SCAM ARTISTS" called EXECUTIVES of AEROPLAN can just screw people and have no obligation to answer for it! I am just sick of CORPORATIONS doing this to people .... have you no conscience.

Guess not, you probably rob your grandmother while she's sleeping, you son's of .... you know who you are. After just wasting 30 minutes of my life with an agent named Bosco in Vancouver, his official statement ... "We've gone to the executives and the marketing team of Aeroplan and brought the consumer's issues to the table .... and they continue to stand by their statement that they have no obligation to notify you ... because after trying to do a "Notification" system, they felt the cost was too great and not enough people were renewing their aeroplan account's ...

YOU KNOW WHAT I SAY TO THAT .... BULL --HIT .... they had my phone number in the account and could have called at anytime, or even had a computer do it ... what would have that cost??? 25 cents ... wow, You COWARD EXECUTIVES .... who live a big fancy life, and FLY FOR FREE .... should be lined up and ... have paint dumped on your stinkin' head! I HATE AEROPLAN NOW! I HATE CORPORATIONS .... I HATE ALL OF THEM! jerks.

Yours Truly,
    Not-an-aeroplan member (I wonder why?)

• La
      17th of Jul, 2007

I have been saving points for as long as I can remember. Times have been tough for the past few years and I now have the ability to travel again, but my points have been taken away. Air Canada should be ashamed, bad customer service and ever falling standard are what I have come to expect. There are many other choices for air travel and the points system was the only reason I have kept going back to air Canada, now I guess I’ll start flying cheaper and more pleasantly with another company. I am ashamed that this terrible company shares the name of this country.

• Da
      24th of Jul, 2007

The same thing just happened to me. I've been saving for 12 years with the intention of traveling right away since I finally got all my ducks in a row. I've been robbed of 109,000 Aeroplan miles. No notification ( apparently a letter was sent to me in May / I'm still awaiting this letter and have requested it yesterday from the friendly people at the call canter ) and of course no contact via email since my new email address hasn't been updated in three years and there was never any phone call since that would cost them a quarter and instead it cost me all of my points plus the cost of my Visa Gold card each year for nearly 10 years. This entire thing turned out to be a multi thousand dollar investment on my part that realized no return whatsoever. Not much of an investment. However, the stock of Air Canada rose dramatically on July 1st. Check that out on the net. I guess if you drop a good majority of your dept by screwing over your customers, it's a good financial move for your corporation. It appears that Aeroplan doesn't care that former customers will take their business elsewhere and make sure that they let everyone else know how they have been treated. The complaint lines on the net are coming back with the " It's beyond our control at this time to reply...". Any ideas as to where to go from here? Apparently the executives who could actually make this entire thing better for this company are unavailable to hear any of the issues that are arising since implementing this expiry date policy. It must be nice just to deal with happy, friendly, and pleasant customers, while the call center people simply deny everyone their earnings and then wishes you a nice day.

• Su
      24th of Jul, 2007

Aeroplan just cancelled all of my points. They didn't say anything in their June statement about cancelling all of my points in July. I can't believe they can get away with treating customers like this!

• Tr
      25th of Jul, 2007

The cancellation of points without fair warning is unfair. The aeroplan website suggests the policy is effective July 1, 2007 but does not say that it will start the clock for inactivity prior to july 1, 2007. What would be fair is to give specific notice that you have 12 months from July 1 , 2007 to use your account or lose it. They should give that notice in terms as clear as that to each member's last known address (snail mail or e-mail).

• Br
      30th of Jul, 2007

I just discovered that my Aeroplan account has been closed without notice and 45,000 miles lost. Is there some kind of ombudsman or complaint service the government of Canada has set up regarding airline service? Could someone start a class action suit? Could an MP bring this up with the federal government? Isn't this the kind of treatment that ordinary citizens did expect without recourse, in the former Soviet Union and not in Canada? I had figured out a long time ago that WestJet is far and above better than Air Canada. This just seals my decision.

• Ri
      30th of Jul, 2007

I just found out my over 100000 points are gone, I changed my account info over the phone with new info and it was not updated, I recently checked my account and my balance was zero. These assH*les took all my points, I am so PO, they had some SCAM stating that you can buy the points back at one cent per point, I would have to pay $1000.

My wife is Fijian and I planned to travel there, it cost about a 100000 points, I priced it out with Air Pacific and it is less than $1000, so what is the point of paying a $1000 to get my points back, so stupid.

• Ve
      8th of Aug, 2007

Same story here, we saved up for 3 years so we could get 1 free flight to Japan this Christmas... i checked our account yesterday, ZERO??? I called the call center in Vancouver, even spoke to the supervisor... the guy was totally out to lunch and had a few corporate memorized lines to tell me? They have no sympathy whatsoever and totally no client service skills! It's not like we're trying to get something for free here, we've earned these points and it's only right to redeem them.

I'm just so disappointed with this company and will be looking into other alternatives when traveling.

• Da
      18th of Aug, 2007

THANK GOD FOR WESTJET!!! Just had Aeroplan steal 210,000 points from me and offer to sell them back to me for $2,000! What is wrong with this picture?
    I am not sure when the class action law suite is going to begin but hope its soon! I feel completely cheated!

There are two corporations that fail to live up to their Canadian names:

Air Canada should change their name to Air Up Uranus because that is the way they treat even their most loyal travelers. Maybe they could offer Aeroscam points - points that appear on their statements however have no value and are not redeemable for anything - but thanks for the support!

As for CIBC - the one's who convinced us that it was worth $120/yr (and only an additional $50 per extra card!!) because we could build up points to use for future travel... well, lets take our country's name from them as well and just call them IBC - Imperialist Bank of Con-artists.

I sincerely hope that somewhere there is a voice loud enough to hear what everyone is saying and will stand up for what is right - too bad that in both our Corporate world and Political arena - there are few with a backbone strong enough to stand up for what is right!

WHEN there is a class action law suite, as proud and HONEST Canadian, I will join the list of abused who are seeking revenge on these selfish fools who believe they have done the best for all stakeholders!

In the meantime GO WESTJET GO!!!

• Jk
      3rd of Sep, 2007

Don't don't don't don't ever use Air canada , worst airlines with 60 years and above old crew.

I had night mare traveling with air canada with my family.

Air crew asked me to bring food from my home, in spite of my vegetarian request. Not a professional airline to use . Secondary my baggage was lost which came after 2 days with not even apology. Customer service is full of attitude carrying people , good for [censored].

• Al
      15th of Sep, 2007

My wife and I were robbed also by Air Canada and CIBC of a large number of points. Both AC and CIBC when contacted were evasive and passed the buck. Got absolutely no where with them. So I have moved my accounts from CIBC and only fly Air Canada if there is no other way to get where I am going. I also make sure friends and neighbors know how I feel and urge them not to use either AC or CIBC. As already mentioned by others it is time for a class action and more boycotting.

• De
      25th of Sep, 2007

I wanted to fly to las vegas so i decided to see how many aeroplain miles i have well i am new to this but i was told that when i transfered my account over to areogold that i would get the air miles on previous balance of my classic visa plus another 15,000 areoplain miles just for the sign up. Well i phoned to ask about how many miles i had and it added up to 11,000 and of course the ### i was talking to knew nothing about it. I am paying 120 dollars a year for this card and if you think that i am going to let these people rip me off well my banker will be getting a visit from me and if they won''t cough up the 15,000 then they can transfer me back to classic visa

• Ia
      12th of Oct, 2007

Exact same story....lost 68,300 points I have accumulated over the years, planning on a nice trip when the joys of raising a child give us a few days to travel and take a vacation.. I have also used the CIBC areogold card for years, and bought everything on VISA, including about 12,000 dollars on oil for the house. I always traveled AC when ever possible, but my travel slowed down after I got married , and haven't used the points , and let the VISA card expire.

Having been robbed by Aeroplan of these points, I contacted the call center, and went through the exact same discussions as mentioned above. I had the letter in my hand, but when I read it, all I saw was that the points will expire in July 2013. I am a landlord, I get tons of mail, I don't have time to scrutinize all the mail I get, AEROPLAN mail got no more attention than the phone bill. I look at the number and pay it. I didn't see in the letter that it expired July 1 2007...this is completely ridiculous.

To me, it feels as if I had been robbed. When I log in, it says I have been a valued member since 1989.....thats a long time to be a member. I only was reimbursed for 2 tickets, and was looking forward to a nice trip after saving all these points. If there is a class action lawsuit, please contact me. ianmacdon@yahoo.com
    I spent 1/2 hour with the supervisor at the call center, I might as well been talking to myself. He said no and I said yes...I want my points back, and I refuse to pay a penny each for them, that is almost equal to the price of a ticket, not to mention the cost of the aeroplan VISA of $120.00 a year, over 5 years is again, equal to the cost of a ticket. My friends , we have been victims of a corporate robbery. Those points are a commodity, no different than cash in the bank. Stolen, by the stroke of as pen...how can that be legal>>???Any living person should be able to ask for their points to be re-instated.. No ombudsman??? no recourse..???

Sad indeed.
    Ian.

• Sh
      13th of Oct, 2007

I recently found out that my wife lost 91,000 Aeroplan miles due to inactivity. I have also discovered, via sites such as this one, that there are many similar stories out there. In one such other site, there was talk to taking legal action.

If any of you are seriously interested in pursuing a class action lawsuit against Aeroplan for forfeited miles contact me at ‘sueaeroplan@hotmail.com’.

Although not currently practicing, I am an Ontario lawyer in good standing and I am willing to devote whatever time I can to this project. We need to consolidate our efforts.

• Je
      22nd of Oct, 2007

Same story. Just lost 28667 points because I was 3 months past one year. These people are crooks. Where is our government? A 30$ charge is bad enough but 1 cent per mile is adding insult to injury.
    Most of the time you can't get a flight and a "30000 mile flight" would rarely cost over $330.

• Ga
      30th of Oct, 2007

We also lost 40,000.00 hard earned points. some from various "loyalty partners".

Thing is we paid for those points and they were our property. Air Canada cannot just steal them with ambiguous wordings which (even though we are reasonably well educated and fairly intelligent) are difficult to interpret.

There are two things you can do about this.

1, Write a letter condemning the program to all of their "loyalty partners" such as Esso, (list can be found on Aeroplan .com.). The letter should be brief and to the point do not whine. Ensure it is addressed to the CEO, and cc'd to the VP Customer Service, and the president of Aeroplan. All names and addresses are available on their respective websites.
    2. Join in on a lawsuit to be brought by an Ontario lawyer (see sueaeroplan@hotmail.com.

Or you can be a true Canadian and roll over - which is what Aeroplan expects you will do.

• Na
      12th of Nov, 2007

Same I lost 100,000.

Pretty bad business model for AC as there are alot of better programs out there let alone all the folks that will remember this the next time they go to fly.

Pretty stupid!

• Ta
      26th of Nov, 2007

WE HAVE BEEN ROBBED TOO! Between my husband and myself, we have been robbed by Aeroplan of 80,000 miles. They claimed they notified us, but that is not the case. I received notification of my account balance in March 2007 and it showed balance of 44K for my husband and 35K for me yet nothing about our account being expired THAT SAME MONTH!!! When I called the 800 number today they said my account is 0 and my husband's account is 6900 (which is for the flight he took to Europe and back a couple of months ago). I spoke to a representative named Mary from Vancouver today and she said verbatim 'the directors and president will not take your complaint seriously ma'am, I mean it was all over the website'. OH SORRY, I guess I have nothing better to do with everything going on in my life that I should've found the time to browse through the Aeroplan website to see if they are planning to screw us over. Had I received a notification, I would have used them up asap. No warning, no nothing! I am so disappointed and I'm wondering why more people are not joining the class action law suit against them...

• Ab
      26th of Nov, 2007

I had 107000 points and my wife had 58000 points. Oh wait, save for actually engaging in the program (Esso, CIBC [my account], American Express [wifes account], Tropicana, ING, online surveys & Rogers Magazine, oh yes and Home Hardware) our points haven't been affected by the expiry program.

When I call the 800# the agent that answers in a pleasant voice and asks me if there is anything she can do for me. I explain that I am just calling to verify that a credit was properly posted to my account and guess what, its usually there. If for some reason it happens to be missing the agent on the other end of the phone lets me know what the procedure is on getting the credit posted to my account. Usually, I need to send the credit request to the partner (makes sense since the partner is paying for the points after all). Then, after all this the agent actually takes the time to thank me for calling and tells me what a pleasure it was helping me today. Nothing like the obnoxious person she had just had the misfortune of dealing with. I'll refrain from using the language this agent told me this person used toward her, only to say it made me feel bad that the agents at the Aeroplan call centers need to put of with people who not only don't know the simple rules of the program, they choose to lash out on an agent because Aeroplan wants to get rid of its dead weight and move on with its members who actually know are engage in the program.

In short, get over yourselves. Either pay the piper or get on with your life.