Afni, Inc. / Collection fraud

1 PO Box 3427Bloomington, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: (866) 307-0283

Also just received a letter from these jerks dated 4/25/2008. The letter was sent to my father's new house, and even he was surprised because I haven't received anything there since 2001. The bill is for $78.40 and they say that they will accept half. When I telephoned them, the guy right away gave up my last four digits on my SSN and an old address from 1999. I went to college there, so of course that is where they must have got the address, but I never had a cell phone back then. The original creditor is from Verizon Northwest Inc. which I thought it was called Verizon Wireless, but when I told the man I have never used Verizon before he stated that it originated from a GTE account which switched to Verizon. Still very fishy. I'm reporting them to BBB, and the Federal Trade Commission [protected] and also the Consumer Protection Agency in Washington: [protected]. I was also advised to write Afni Inc. having them send me a verification of this debt. Everyone needs to report these folks in order for them to be stopped.

Am

Comments

5th of Nov, 2007
    Afni, Inc - Collection fraud!

This fraud should stop. I don't understand why BBB said they are in satisfactory. Where are the justice? I got a letter saying I owe version (which bought GTE company) 300 in 1999. I called Afni and according to what I get from them, the address and the time frame that I have the GTE phone service didn't match. I didn't live in that address during that time. I don't think I have long distance service at all. I never knew GTE phone company. That's one red flag.

Second: It has been 8 years, never receive any bill or any notice from any phone company.

Third: The guy trying me to pay 175 to settle and close the account. I argue down to $25 and after battling a while, they agree to take $25 and I have to provide them my bank account info or credit card #. I am not an idiot and not going to pay, off course.
    This is very frustrating and harassing to me. These guys definitely should get punished!!!

• Ra
      9th of Sep, 2008

I received my second such notice from Afni, the first one having come a year or two ago. Like the one that arrived just yesterday, it's for a bogus Verizon charge (bogus because we've never been Verizon customers) for a phone number we've never had. Last time I called and spoke with someone who initially gave the impression of "oops, we've been caught red-handed in this scam" but then agreed to remove the charge. Now I've got to call and deal with those bozos again.