Afni Collections / Something's fishy about Afni

1 CT, United States Review updated:

I am very glad to read that I'm not the only one that's being hassled by Afni for claims of debts to phone companies. I recieved a letter in 1/08 stating that I owed over $1000 to Cingular Wireless for a bill in 2001! Afni so generously has offered to settle with me for $500 and change. I have been sick over this trying to track down old bank statements and old cell phone bills to clear this up so that it wouldn't affect my credit. It is particularly peculiar to me since I have had cell service with Cingular Wireless continually since 1998. Why would they still provide me with service if I owed them that sum of money? Also, I have seen my credit report several times since 2001 and never once did this debt show up on it. I have contacted Cingular regarding this to see if they could help me to settle it and they have been of very little help. They show that my account has had a zero balance every month but they are unable to send me a zero balance letter without me providing them with a bank statement showing that I paid them. Now, if we can only figure out where to go from here... I would really like some advice on this situation. If anyone can provide me with any help I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Ke
      4th of Aug, 2008

I just got a bill for $141 from afni for Qwest. Hmmm, that is funny because I DO NOT HAVE QWEST as my telephone service. I thought I had been the victim of identity theft, but after investigating the phone number they provided, Quest does not even have any record of that phone number.

I will be filing a complaint right away.

This company is a scam. Do NOT pay the bill, and do not worry about any credit ratings by this company. If they do put a bad credit rating on you, you can sue them for $1, 000, 000 or more.

• Cy
      20th of Oct, 2008

Recently pulled my free credit report and credit score, the other night, to see what my score had looked like. My report should have shown no negative entries, just an open credit card account, which is in good standing.
    To my surprise, there was a negative entry from AFNI Collections. I further investigated my credit report, as I was quite shocked as to what I would be reflecting negative on my credit report. It was for a Qwest account, for $142.00. I have not had Qwest service since 1999, it is now 2008 almost 2009. This bill has been paid in full years ago. It states that this account has been past due since 2008. I have disputed this entry on my credit report and hopefully it will be removed soon.
    Also, check out budhibbs.com. We will be writing a cease and desist letter, as well as contacting the Il Attorney General and adding a complaint to there long list of complaints already filed against AFNI.
    This certainly is the last thing I need on my report. I am in the process of buying my first home and certainly do not need this affecting my chances of getting the loan.