Afni Collections / past due verizon phone bill

I am yet another person sent a collection bill for a phone bill from a telephone number I used to have about 10 years ago with Verizon. This is not my bill. When I went to go online to contact afni collecitions, I found a torrent of people that have been subjected to scams from this company. These people need to be stopped. It's a shame that normal people have to spend time and energy fighting against things that other people try to get you with. You're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

Comments

• Je
      4th of Feb, 2008

I knew the afni collection notice was a phony when I got it. It listed my old phone number in Los Angeles, and to the best of my knowledge, it was my home phone number, not a cell phone with Verizon. I have to say "to my knowledge" because it refers to an address over 10 years old, and I have no records dating back that far. (This notice came in October 2007, 10 years and 1 month after I left California.)

I've been waiting 30 minutes to speak to a Verizon billing agent to verify that I've never had an account with them, but am losing patience. While waiting, decided to add my complaint about phony collection scams that seem to be of little interest to our Justice Department. I feel SO SORRY for people who get these things and just pay off the scammers out of fear and befuddlement.

The American consumer has been declared fair game for scammers, con artists and usurio0us credit card companies. If you are tired of seeing them get away with it, VOTE IN 2008 for a change in Washington, in your state, and in your community.

That is, if you can still vote, and if your vote is counted correctly. Hell, try anyway! It's our only hope.

22nd of Sep, 2008

You, too? I got one a week ago from Afni stating I owed $942 and some cents for a bill from 2003!My ex and I did have modem service in May 2003 and had Verizon cut if off in Sept. 2003, but we came to find out thru MANY phone calls and letters to Verizon that the termination of service order wasn't put thru till many moths later. During that time somebody hijacked the line and made calls to Pakistan (!) at all hours of the night for God-know-long. After the back-and-forth with the Verizon reps, and payment of the portion of the bill we DID owe, my ex was told by Verizon that the bill was settled. How is it I never got a bill from Verizon after the thing was settled? How is it no one ever sent me any kind of notice that money was supposedly still due till now? I talked to a rep at Afni named Tess who was not rude or nasty, and I followed up with a written dispute of debt letter. But I'm taking Fred's advice an will file a report with the FTC about Afni about the BS they're trying to pull.

• Nu
      9th of Mar, 2009

I just recieved a bill from the same company saying i had a phone after i cancelled and moved to new address