Aer Lingus / missed flight

1 Ireland Review updated:

my girlfriend and i were booked on aer lingus ei562 to barcelona on mon morning aug 17th. flight due to leave dublin @ 6:40am. we arrived in airport @ 5:45am and went straight into the q for this flight, we could not check in online due to a change in a booking detail during that week. we were in the q couple of mins when an aer lingus employee went through the q calling a flight for lisbon, that flight was closing etc.I did not think to ask him about our flight at this time( big mistake) As gates closed 45 mins before boarding by 6:05 we were getting worried, q had barely moved at all. at 6:15 same man comes by again, i asked him straightaway about our flight, he told me it was closed.. told him i was in q for half hour already, he said he had called that flight earlier. said i heard him calling lisbon not barcelona, he told me he called both. We had only carry on bags surely we could make flight which was still on ground for another 25 mins..but NO as has become the norm there was no discusion allowed THEY WERE RIGHT I ( THE CUSTOMER) AM WRONG.

so had to break this news to my girlfriend who was so looking forward to trip.only option was to spend 2 X €75 to get next flight which was at 6pm that evening. €150 extra for a day less in beautiful barcelona.

thank you Aer Lingus i will never fly with ye again.

En

Comments

• Fe
      3rd of Sep, 2009

Plain and Simple, this is your fault! Every airline tells you their minimum check in times, and for economy even within europe, it is at least 90 minutes before departure time if not 2 hours. You arrived at the check-in 55 minutes prior. You ruined your trip, not Aer Lingus.

• Am
      29th of Oct, 2009

You have my full sympathy. Almost exactly the same thing happened to us this evening. We were delayed on our way to the airport at Dublin and arrived 40 minutes before the flight was due to take off. We were told we could not check in for it although, as in your experience, the plane was still on the ground but we were told a payment of 3 x 75 euros would be required if we were to fly to London on another Aer Lingus flight tonight. As I was accompanied by my 13 year old grand-daughter and 17 year old son, I had no choice but to stump up the cash and add to Aer Lingus's profits. We were flown to Heathrow instead of Gatwick and had to incur extra charges to return home to Brighton.

I had expected to pay late boarding fees but not over £200! Like you, I will never fly with this company again.

Unlike the two contributors before me, I think Aer Lingus needs to treat its passengers a great deal better than it does when problems arise. Since becoming a 'no frills' airline, its customer service ethic has been eroded - it's not the airline it was and might as well be subsumed by Ryanair. I think it's only a matter of time until it is.