Acer / Aspire 9500 / Failure to honor warranty

Bought an Acer model Aspire 9500 laptop PC fully loaded for more than $1950.00USD in March of 2006. Came with 1 year warranty.

With better than 50% battery the unit died while I was using it on a recent plane flight, I had an isle seat, no one in seat next to me, unit was being used as per the Acer intended use instructions. Sent the laptop to repair facility. Received voice message on cell today by Acer 12/21/2006 that a gooey substance was found inside and I must pay $449.00USD for repair by tomorrow or else.

After many attempts and failures to reach Acer tech repair by phone, (their phone system is a real wonder), I had to call the selling dealer to report the complaint.

Finally Acer called and insisted I pay or else. I made 1 statement: "There was no gooey substance around when the unit failed." and 1 question: "Was there an engineer or something tangible Acer had that proved said gooey substance caused the failure and that this same unidentified substance they found got into the damaged unit before the failure?". This proved too much for the Acer rep. I was placed on hold for 10 minutes, presumably for them to get an answer to my question, but was promptly disconnected after the 10 minutes. Later today Acer calls once again demands money or else all the while completely oblivious to their earlier conversation with me, my response was they fix my laptop as their warranty requires.

Russell Divvens

A  19th of Apr, 2007 by
I bought an Acer Aspire 5000 in February 2006 and the unit kept shutting down, even when plugged in. I have sent the computer back FIVE TIMES since, with the same "customer service" problems. It cost me $63.00 to sent it once.

The first three times Acer sent it back and said no problem could be found. The fourth time it came back with a new screen and no explanation. The fifth time it came back with a battery and charger, still no explanation. Needless to say the unit still doesn't work.

Now Acer tells me they won't fix it! I told them the unit was never repaired in the first place. No Answer.
I am sick and tired of the run-around, should I seek legal action, or what? I'm already out $1263.00, I think I've spent enough on a defective computer. Don't buy an ACER.
A  19th of May, 2007 by
I bought acer 3260 since jan 2007 and its hard disk got bad sectors on it. I send the unit to mdi for replacement. Now they have replaced it with other hard disk which has less capacity and also they have not loaded the software fully. Most software is missing. Moreover the have very bad telephonic contact no body can contact with mdi. Thousands of time i try to call them but failed. So it is strongly recommended that contract with mdi may be cancelled and they may be warned for this attitude. My code no with acer was (1875419s) during complaint process and phone no of mdi is (0030210-4804500). Moreover i visited three time to mdi to know about my unit and every time i lost 50 euro thus i lost 150.00 euro. In future we will not buy any acer product
A  11th of Nov, 2007 by
I bought 2 acer laptops in Sept/06, both of which are crap. The mouse pad and keys quit working, one went on fire. I had also bought a 2 year extended warranty which is a big waste of money, because nothing seems to be covered.