1-888 Junk Van / overcharging

1 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

I purchased a Kijiji Daily Deal for junk removal by 1-888 Junk Van. When the truck arrived, there was already a load of wood in it. I was assured by the drivers that my junk was less than the 400 pound limit for the coupon and there wouldn't be any additional charges. Boy was I surprised when I received an invoice for over $100 the next day. When I called to inquire, I was told that the coupon amount would be credited and the credit card would charged the difference. After several calls and emails, the coupon credit was not applied nor was the charge reversed on my credit card. Lodging a complaint with the Better Business Bureau solicited a phone call from the franchise owner but his promise to call back on Tuesday didn't materialize. This business is a blatant sham. BTW - I also reported this fraudulent behaviour to Kijiji Daily Deals. Guess what they did?? They ran another coupon promotion for the company! I wouldn't recommend this service either as they certainly don't care how the vendor represents their service.

Comments

• Ld
      14th of Sep, 2011

Yeah, I'm having the exact same problem as you. I'm from Vancouver and also read some complains from Alberta, so it seems they just suck across the whole country.

I called before I bought my coupon to ask how much extra they'd charge for dumping mattresses. The lady on the phone assured me there wasn't any extra charge. I found this odd but proceeded to buy the coupon anyways. When they arrived the man loading the junk told me there'd me an $80 charge ($20 for each mattress). I agreed, as I half suspected the woman was wrong anyways. However, he also assured me that I was DEFINITELY not over the 250lbs limit for all my junk and that I would get an invoice in my inbox later that evening.

Since this deal was already seeming kind of sketchy I gave him my pay-as-you-go Money Mart credit card and told him I'd load the money once I got the invoice. Next thing I know they're trying to charge the card to the card $125 every day. Today they tried 3 times actually! I haven't called them yet but I've kept emailing them and asking for my invoice and to explain why I'm apparently paying for their false advertising in regards to the mattresses, and what would be an extra 148lbs of junk - which is completely impossible. They've not bothered to reply to any of my emails, so I suppose I'll be calling them tomorrow. Doubt I'll have any more luck than you did. At least they haven't gotten any money out of me yet, but I'll probably end up having to pay it instead of it going to collections. Thanks JunkVan. You're completely awesome. I'm angry at how many people they must be ripping off across the country.

• Bc
      19th of Sep, 2011

I purchased the coupon for 250 lbs of junk removal online for 1888 JUNKVAN. I was assured that the weight of my junk was under 250 lbs, however a 25$ dollar charge would apply to a old mattress. To that, I agreed. I was told that I would receive an invoice by the next day, since its coming from 'back east'. This was over a week ago now and still no invoice. They immediately charged my credit card 140$ additional on top of the coupon itself. After THREE phone calls have been told each time that the invoice was sent and re-sent. THIS IS A SCAM!!

This charge would equate to over 300 lbs of additional junk. All I gave away was one normal size couch, two small chairs, one small tv stand and a few wood scraps.

I will be waiting on the phone for the email when I call in next.. Warning to all reading this, DO NOT give a credit card number until you receive a invoice with a weight ticket from the dump or some proof of the applicable weight.
    If that doesn't work, Im going to contact the credit card company directly and get the charges reversed.

Hope this helps. Be careful with this company.

• Va
      4th of Oct, 2011

I bought the $25 coupon from indulgeliving for 250 lbs junk removal. I took a day off and scheduled 888-Junk to come and remove my junk. The day before the removal, 888-Junk customer service called me and said they are not able to come on that day. So I told them I would put the junk on the drive way and the driver had to transfer the junk into his truck as I had to go to work the next day. Couple of days after the junk removal, my credit card was charged for $218. I was so surprised and call 888-junk. They email me an invoice which indicated I had 826 lbs of junk removed. It's amazing how they can cheat people like that, my junk was around 200 lbs and should be well covered by the coupon I purchased. In last 3 weeks, I kept calling 888-junk for more than 15 times. They kept giving me false promises of investigation and informing me the result. I kept waiting after each call and finally I know that it is the way they do business. They will never call me back and just took my money from processing my credit card.
    I had no way to turn. I had to report a fraudulent charge on my credit card provider and ask them to do investigation and hopefully can reverse the charge.
    Don't provide CC # to 888-junk and don't deal with them.

• Ab
      19th of Oct, 2011

I bought a voucher for 250 lbs of junk removal. When you book your appontment they ask for your visa number before you know the amount that is going to be charged on to it, this was the first indication that this company is not being run properly. I was told by the booking staff that after my stuff is loaded into the truck, they will go directly to the dump so I will have a receipt with the in and out weight. The truck arrived with stuff in it already, and I never received an invoice just a charge on my visa for over $250.00 which is not correct, this is a very high amount considering the amount/weight of my stuff, in addition I have no invoice from the dump. I called twice and still no response. I can not find a business office to call, when I call the people who answer the phone say they are working from home so they can not transfer me to a manger or the owner. This has been very frustrating and upsetting, BEWARE!!!

• St
      9th of Nov, 2011

My issue is the same - purchased the 250lb deal. I knew that I would be over that weight, so I did expect a charge, however the truck that showed up was already full of someone else's garbage, which explains why the driver was so adamant that I didn't need to be there for him to load up.
    They then went to the dump for the weigh in/out. Naturally I was charged for my load plus the previous load.
    Then of course they absolutely refuse to return phone calls. I phoned 6 times, left 6 messages, sent several emails all to no avail. Very brutal company to deal with.

• Li
      22nd of Nov, 2011

WARNING! STAY AWAY!
    I purchased a daily deal for this company. They were unprofessional and arrived without a rake(!) for junk removal in a rented Penske truck. They left a mess on the street and our yard.
    Unfortunately, they required a credit card number on file to book.
    They emailed me an "invoice" that showed they had removed over 1000 pounds of junk, which was just ridiculous. The links to the weight scale did not open and the email did not show what rate they were charging me. They also did not deduct the daily deal voucher, which was good for 250lbs. I emailed them 4 times and left messages asking to see the weight scale ticket and looking for a proper invoice and a correction of the amount. They ignored me.
    If you look up this company in other cities, you will see this has happened to lots of other people too. It is consumer fraud. BE WARNED! I wish I had looked them up before buying the daily deal or hiring them.

• Ba
      22nd of Dec, 2011

They do nothing they advertise...they say they are accredited by BBB (are not calgary.bbb.org check it out) They say they would call 30mins prior (Nope) They told me I would be given a estimate before they took the junk (Nope, I wasn't present and they didn't call me)

I got charged $1300 for dried brush and a couple items I didn't want them to take. After about a month of calling and leaving messages, being given the run around or told a manager would call me back. I finally said I was going to the BBB if they did not get me a manager. Marcus the owner calls me, said the spoke to the driver and they did call me and left a message (Nope) They were willing to give me half my money back but still had bills to pay themselves so that was the best they could do. Well with that I accepted and made sure to warn others about this company.

Last week some guy calls asking me to take down my complaints, asked if there was something they could do to get me to remove them. I politely declined, said I had such a bad experience I couldn't bring myself to remove them. He shrugged it off and said he had 5 complaints removed today, he would simply have their lawyers arrange to have them removed. Go ahead and take them down, but I am warning as many people as I can before they do. Be careful with these guys, they don't believe in customer service just in ripping people off.

• Al
      29th of Dec, 2011

My complaint is the same as everyone else. I purchased the coupon online and after the garbage was hauled away my credit card card was charged for an exaggerated amount of garbage removal which the coupon didn't cover. After numerous calls requesting a copy of the weigh bill from the dump and to speak to a manager (neither happened) I refused the charge on my credit card. The company supplied a spreadsheet listing the services provided, the time and date of my complaints, and a cell phone photo of some kind of digital reading which they claim to be the scale at the dump. Unfortunately, my credit card company accepts this as proof and has refused the credit. When I tried calling the person listed on the letter to the credit card company, I reached them on their personal cell phone with horrible reception. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! EVER!!!

• Ro
      6th of Jul, 2012

Hi 1-888-JUNK-VAN is a very shady company. I recommen sticking with 1-800-GOT-JUNK in the VAncouver area. We purchased a voucher through SWARMJAM. It was $35.00 for a $152.00 voucher. The terms and conditions state that the $35.00 does not expire. The Voucher did expire and Swarmjam releases the $35.00 to 1-888-JUNK-VAN. I called them for a pick up, I did not want the 152 value but I assumed that the $35.00 they already collected would be applied against my pickup. Instead the rehearsed answer was "Go get a refund from your advertising agent (ie swarmjam). THEY have the $35.00 but they watn SWARMJAM to take a $35.00 hit. . AVOID THEM!!!