Choice Home Warrantybeware contractors - do not pay bills

D Review updated:

Choice home warranty requested that we perform service at (2) different locations. We followed all the procedures, given them full documentation of the bills, got authorization #s by choice home warranty employees, sent invoices within 5 days and they have since owing the bills have hung up on us, not returned our calls, lied repeatedly and given the following excuses several times: ***the employee names are erica greene, rebecca and marie***

1 need new contractor application to process your payment
6 we will call you back
7 we do not have a signed ticket
8 we didn’t receive your invoice
9 we do not have the authorization #

Now they are saying we have to sign a bogus contract that states we release them from any payments or litigation... Before we get paid... Um yea right... Beware to any contractors or customers!!! Read that contract before you sign anything!!! If they treat the contractors this way how will they treat the customers after they already got what they wanted from you!!!

As for choice home warranty if I lived in nj I would be stopping by instead of calling.

• St
    Steven626 Jun 14, 2010

Yea i got the same thing from Mrs Green just like you. They wouldn't pay me a lousy 47.00 thank god i didn't do anymore work for them. I think the goverment should step in on this company and stop this from happening to some many ppl.

ANS Plumbing Jun 05, 2019

@Steven626 Contact Randy 'at' ansplumbing 'dot' net for help in getting your money owed.

• Mr
    Mr. Sherman Jul 01, 2010

Thank you for the post. I almost purchased a warranty with Choice - they offered an excellent price to replace my current company. Then I checked this board and the BBB. They are rated F by the BBB and seem to have more complaints than any other home warranty company. I think I will go with American Residential instead. They get very good reviews on several sites.

• Sh
    shane86 Jul 21, 2010

I represent an attorney in Tennessee that handles class action cases across the United States for individuals and companies in situations similar to this one.

We have recently been made aware of this company Choice Home Warranty and the complaints about account maintenance, billing errors, and other issues regarding accounts, payments, and service. We are investigating the potential to file a consumer class action against this company to get them to honor their contracts and pay their bills to hard working people trying to survive in these tough economic times.

Please contact our firm to discuss the situation and possible class action at (901) 759-3900 or (800) 485-8049 or you may also email me at [email protected]

@shane86 On it

Gbiinvestigator Jun 28, 2018

@Gbiinvestigator This has gone on long enough and we're going to shut the doors on this place . scam isn't the word . I've seen it all worked as contractor lol and paid for their service and I've seen it all . enough is enough.

Gbiinvestigator Jun 28, 2018

@Gbiinvestigator I'm using federal money to run a undercover business and yes you guys are right . you get authorized one amount and then they go in the invoice and start taking away money from what they owe you . or how about this one . 83moo board for Lennox . $300.00 part right . billed out for it and 1 hour labor and they went in and changed the price from what I was authorized and now they want to pay $125.00. I see that the worst part of it is that I even played the role of being a customer and well the sure find their way out of replacing compressors and condensers and evaporators .lol . We're going to let it be know on national TV how big of a scam this really is .. Money laundering people.

• Go
    God Bless The World Dec 27, 2018

@shane86 Is this class action still ongoing? If so, please include me. This company needs to be held accountable for their actions.

• Bi
    Bianca.A Jun 05, 2019

@Gbiinvestigator I called the number above and they are invalid numbers. Does anyone have any updates on the lawsuit? I have been scammed too.

• Ra
    Rands007 Dec 07, 2019

@shane86 What's the attorneys name, choice locked my acct out and I know lots of customers that were taken by choice .. They owe me about 5000 dollars..

• Ru
    Rusnas Dec 01, 2010

They are the biggest scamsters going around. They should be investigated and put behind bars.

• Ab
    Absolute Climate Control Dec 27, 2010

I am a HVAC contractor and those lying, thieving SOB's pulled the same crap on me. I will say this for them they have a system and they are very consistent. I could cut and paste the 9 items listed by deborahsmithmd in this forum because that is exactly the same BS I got from them. The company rep. I dealt with is Stanley Goodspeed
    and he can lie with the best of them. It is too far from Texas to NJ for a personal visit but I am not giving up. Getting ripped off by trash ### upsets me just a little bit.

notpaid Mar 05, 2011

I am a HVAC contractor as well. They definately lie. Stanely Goodspeed is probably the best liar ever and he does say be patient and I will send you your money in 10-15 days. At first he told me I needed to refill out an agreement with the company because the old one expired and I asked him then why did they call me if everything wasn't good to go. His reply was he didn't know why they called me. Later on I looked at my contract and read that it said the contract is automatically renewed every year unless someone in writing cancels the agreement. So I called him to confront him about it and asked him where in the contract does it say I have to refill out the agreement each year and he said it wasn't in the contract but it is their rule.

Master greg Apr 21, 2018

@notpaid Wish I would have researched first. I was scammed out of a 363.45 bill for replacing two parts on their customers furnace. I have submitted my information 3 times and they refuse to release any funds. They are the biggest scam I've ever seen and it pisses me off more that I actually fell for it more then the amount of money i lost. I guess I am now a member of the "will not pay club"

• Gl
    G Loomis Redfish Jun 28, 2019

@Master greg JJ’S Appliance here I got out just in time I almost took a hit for $500 bill but kept insisting they pay me my money for parts and services rendered, after 30 days I got my check from them and to this day they send me work but I decline it never again will I fix there crap they want service fast we’ll pay me fast bitch

Winsome Mar 18, 2011

Hello, Everyone! Since August, CHOICE has given me lies and now owes me over $1, 000.

I have field a complaint against Choice with my Attorney General here in Virginia--who then contacted Choice. Choice told them how reputable they are and that I need to resubmit the claims. That same Stanley Goodspeed at CHOICE told me they already have my papers-duh, and also has been lieing to me for three months!

I also filed a complaint with the office of the Attorney General in New Jersey--who then told me they were passing on my complaint to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

The FTC wrote to me two days ago, opened a file (complaint#: 29573592), and said, "The Federal Trade Commission acts in the public interest to stop business practices that violate the laws it enforces...This computerized system enables us to identify questionable business practices that are generating numerous compliants..."

So, if you would mail to me your complaint, I will compile them to PROVE to the FTC that CHOICE has a HISTORY of questionable business practices.

If you choose to send it in yourself, then use my complaint # 29573592 so that your complaint can be added to mine and it will generate the numbers needed for the FTC to BEGIN to move AGAINST CHOICE. My email address is [email protected] or phone 540-662-3311

• Ai
    AimeeMW Jul 03, 2019

@Winsome I am a contractor and we serviced a septic tank in April for them and they are refusing to pay the invoice. CHW also lied and said we only charged $100 which is a lie because my invoice was $275. They told me that all I billed was $100 which is a LIE!!! They changed my invoice and said it was me and that they never approved the services or fees!!! This company id a SCAM and needs to be SHUT DOWN!!!

• La
    Laurie Jensen Jul 19, 2019

@Winsome They owe me $500.00. The title company that was used paid the wrong home warranty company. Unfortunately it was Choice Home Warranty. They cancelled my policy, but have not refunded my $500.00. I have spent numerous hours getting the run around from these people. They transfer from agent to agent and then place you on hold for hours. When they do come back on the line, they claim they can't hear you and so hang up. I have had it with these crooks. If you want to include me in your case, I will be happy to send my documentation to FTC.

jay gee investments Apr 25, 2011

I have the same problem with Choice. They did not pay the contractor that fixed my furnace. 5 mos later I got the bill directly from the contractor, so I paid it. I then wrote to Choice and got called by Stanley Goodspeed. The only thing this guy is goodspeed at is lying. I am going to the Attorney General in New Jersey to get this taken care of. James Gregory 916-834-9771

• Aa
    AAirLLC Sep 04, 2011

We too did work for Choice Home Warranty and never received payment. Stanley Goodspeed is nothing but dishonest. We are now having to threaten the home owner with a mechanics lein to attempt to get our $1250!!! BBB is notified (which means nothing beings that CHW has an F rating) and we are trying to collect from the home owner. Please contractors..do yourself a HUGE favor...dont do any work for CHW!!!

• Ga
    GA HVAC Sep 16, 2011

This is from the New Jersey website for Choice Home Warranty:

BBB rating is based on 16 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.

Factors that lowered Choice Home Warranty's rating include:
    Length of time business has been operating.
    428 complaints filed against business
    6 complaints filed against business that were not resolved.
    Length of time business has taken to resolve complaint(s).

According to information in BBB files, the business was previously headquartered at 244 Madison Avenue in New York City. As of May 2009, that location has an unsatisfactory record with the BBB serving Metropolitan New York due to a pattern of complaints, and the business has not corrected the underlying reason for the complaints.

Prior to May 2009, BBB serving New Jersey has processed no complaints against the location in Edison, NJ.

• Az
    AZ Delta Sep 21, 2011

We are an HVAC Contractor as well. Really wish we saw this article before doing business with them. Every complaint on here is valid. Absolutely terrible experience, we just ended our business relationship with them today. I just wanted to point out that "Stanley Goodspeed" was Nicolas Cage's character in the Movie The Rock - FRAUD!!

• Ho
    hobbs ac Oct 03, 2011

they got me too for 3, 000 now its been 90 days and all of a sudden the invoices they said they had they don't have and they are not filed correctly even though they said the check is on the way. don't know what to do now wish i would have done research on them. Hobbs AC Suffolk Va

• Fr
    Frustrate with CHW Dec 20, 2011

I am currently dealing with CHW regarding my HVAC. I purchased a 3 year warranty from them in August 2011. This is my first claim and it has been a nightmare. Even the contractor they called complained about them stating that they are almost impossible to get in touch w/and even more difficult to get approval from.
    They are refusing to authorize work after I have supplied all requested documentation. After going around and around w/numerous customer service representatives and Authorization reps, I asked to speak to a manager. I was reluntantly transferred to Troy Mc Dermott, he claims to be a customer service manager who answers to the President of the company. He also states that he is the highest Manager available. He was very rude and short (everyone I have dealt w/seems to have that same tone and demeanor; snappy). After getting nowhere w/him, I requested a full refund Troy is stating they will only give me a pro-rated amount back, they have done nothing for me but cost me money (I actually paid the $45.00 for the tech that did nothing) and a LOT of time.
    I have been dealing with them for over a week on this. I have been placed on hold in excess of 30-minutes. Placed on hold when I asked not to be, and again, in excess of 30-minutes. Told I would receive a call back on 3 seperate occassions and didn't. Told by one representative (in a harsh tone) that they were busy. Honestly, so am I. It has been a total nightmare.
    I informed Troy that I would be informing as many people as possible of my experience and would be submitting a complaint to The BBB. He said "and what does that do". I replied "nothing, if you don't care about customer service". Which, if you have read the reviews and their "F" rating on BBB...they obviously do not.

• Ro
    Robs Plumbing Dec 26, 2011

I found out the hard way myself! I am a Plumber from Orange County NY and got the run around even though I did get so called approval form Choice to perform the work, then Stanley says " Oh why did you put that kind of pump in, we only approve home depot grade pumps not plumbers grade pumps. Then it was be patient it takes a while to process the payment this time of year, that was in October! Please tell me why because you are busy "trick or treating" then it was " Oh you need to fill out another contract and send that in, which basically says we can pay you if we want, you can't pursue any actions against us if we don't, and you can't go after the customer if we don't pay you! Yeah well I may have been born at night, but not last night! Stan if you read this you messed with the wrong guy brother! I will do everything within my power and then some to legally come after you and your company! I will be contacting the Da's Office this week along with the Attorney Generals office as well. In New York we have a section in the NYS penal law called Scheme to defraud, and I'm sure that Jersey has one similar! I have a A plus rating with NYS BBB you on the other hand have a F - Go look for yourself! Your past will now come back to haunt you, mark my words!

• El
    Electric Guy Jan 31, 2012

If you are a home owner do not use this company if you are a contractor do not do any work for them. You will not get paid and the run around and hoops they make you jump trough making you think this is necessary to get paid and it won't happen. These people are liars and cannot be trusted. I feel for the home owners and contractors that have been scammed by this company.

Winsome Feb 17, 2012

My Name is Winsome Sears and my company is Shenandoah Applaince Plumbing & Electric in Virginia ([email protected]). We are owed money from Choice Home Warranty over 2 years now. But I have been in touch with the New Jersey Attorney General's office and they are now DIRECTLY investigating the cases where before they had passed it on the the Federal Trade Commission.

I just spoke with the state attorney handling the matter and they are asking for you to contact them to file a complaint. Without that, it is only heresay. In fact, they have already been in touch with Choice Home Warranty's attorney. So, I have been given this number for you to call and there will be a person to answer the phone: 973-504-6200 . Tell them you want to file a complaint against Choice Home Warranty.

Richard Zitelli, Investigator
    Tel# 973-504-6213
    FAX# 973-648-4595
    e-mail: [email protected]

Winsome May 09, 2012

Hello, everyone! I have a followup. Choice Home Warranty has finally sent a check to me for all they owed me and also for the late fees that I invoiced. Their representaive told them that Stanley Godspeed is no longer with the company and that if you are owed mmoney to contact them directly: Troy McDermott

Choice Home Warranty

Vendor Relations Manager

888-531-5403 ext. 8248

[email protected]

Please include “UNPAID INVOICE COMPLAINT” in the subject of the email.

Winsome May 09, 2012

Troy McDermott

Choice Home Warranty

Vendor Relations Manager

888-531-5403 ext. 8248

[email protected]

Please include “UNPAID INVOICE COMPLAINT” in the subject of the email.

Sabastian Jul 10, 2016

Worst company ever I still have bills left unpaid they said I called to close our account, When I called to correct them they said I was loud and threatening and they will hold payments for a year. They are dirty and need to be put out of business.

• Wg
    WGV1966 Jul 19, 2016

I have had my home Warranty for 8 month i called in the month of July 2016 to make a claim on my hot water heater, the tech comes out says it is a flame blow out and a fire hazard that it needs to be replaced, CHOICE HOME WARRANTY called me and proceed to tell me the claim would not be paid due to lack of maintaining it, (CALCIUM and SEDIMENT BUILD UP) Please explain to me why should i have something service that i haven't owned a year yet. i paid for this warranty at the time of closing when i purchased my home again not a year old...I'm absolutely amazed at the negative remarks this company has, and i will tell everyone that i come in contact with my opinion about CHOICE HOME WARRANTY and my experiences with them...i have cancelled my contract as of 07-19-2016...i can assure you that AMERICAN HOME SHIELD will get my business after all at least their CEO will talk to you...

• Mi
    mikes refrigeration Oct 08, 2016

I was a contractor for choice warranty I noticed that only if the repair was under $200 they would approve with authorization number but they would almost always find a way to get out of paying for major repairs by saying the home owner didn't have there air unit serviced regular I have sent invoices in with authorization number and what we did they would send check 30 days after invoice is faxed to them I have had nothing but run a round and still have not got a check my number is 2052173463 if anyone needs any more information about choice warranty

• Ms
    Ms. Sampson Nov 17, 2016

Choice Home warranty is the worst company I have ever done business with. I have contacted the company several times in regards to a claim that was made. A claim worker emailed me and stated that someone will be contacting me shortly. Therefore, I was contacted by someone stating that they will contacted me again with a date and time that is convenient for me. I never received a call back, so therefore I call Choice warranty and briefly described the situation. Additionally, I emailed Choice warranty and received a respond and was told that someone will be contacting me shortly. I received a call with a apology and was told that my claim will be reassigned. As of this date my claim has not been properly taking care of and no one has contacted me in regards to the claim. I would not advise anyone to use this company service is very poor.

• Jc
    JCurriesun Nov 29, 2016

Worst company ever to deal with.. Had an issue here in Nevada with HVAC.. No HVAC for 3 days arguing with them to get the problem fixed. Their own "assigned" contractor refused to come and repair since he had not been paid for previous jobs and stated he would no longer be providing service for HCW... Called them and referred to a clause in the agreement about a turn around time for and emergency situation only to be told they are not an emergency provider - call someone to fix.. Eventually called a service provider to repair and sent them a letter regarding the incident and options, either paying for the service or reimburse the contract fee... Of course we never ever heard back.. They gladly took the yearly payment upfront but made every excuse under the sun to not address..Pathetic organization, pathetic customer service. Every opportunity I have, to let people know of their deceitful business practice, I do!

• Ga
    Gary Hughes May 03, 2017

Yep worst company ever, . They do not care about the customer like our company does. They are all about not paying for the work and not servicing their paying client and the contractors like us who stick our necks out to do service for them. They try to make you feel worthless and they begged us to do the work for them and that there would be no problems. Now the account manager who hired us is going back on his word and is not even trying to help us get paid. I wanted to do a three way call with the customer they denied it, . When i told them they had the customer on the phone they said we are vendor relations and cannot talk to customers and would not! So I had the customer call with a three way call and the customer relations would not talk because we were on the phone. THey Play Games PERIOD!! RUN FROM THEM!

• Cr
    Crawford Appliance May 24, 2017

I too was a vendor for Choice. Signed their contract to do work for them so I could service a long time customer. Did everything right. Then terminated the contract. Because I terminated early I had to wait 1 year before I could call back in and initiate the check so I could get my money. $300.00 total. It has been a year and 3 months. Been told the check is in the mail, was mailed to wrong address and its my fault I didn't change the address. It was not the address in the system so why would I change it. Have to wait 90 days or pay a stop payment of $30.00. They won. I will have the stop payment taken out so I can get my money. Oh the check number for the wrong address check is 38154. I have family living at that old address. They have never received a check from choice or they would have called me. I even asked them to look for the check. I AM TIRED OF FIGHTING WITH THIS COMPANY. If I lived in NJ I would be sitting in their office waiting for my check. I am in tears waiting for money I probably won't ever receive.

• Ra
    Raul Bustamante Jun 16, 2017

I have been with Choice Home Warranty for just 3 months and filed my first claim yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased. I visited the website and obtained my claim number and received an automated phone call within 30 minutes providing me the name and number of the company that was assigned. I called and spoke with a friendly HVAC tech and he advised me he would be out today before 11:00am. The tech arrived quickly diagnosed the compressor as being the culprit and had my unit up and running within 45 minutes. I am so completely satisfied and I hope to stay that way.

• Dp
    Dpmplum May 02, 2018

they did the same thing to our company, did not pay, lots of excuses, never again!
    DP&M Services, Inc

• Ro
    Robert17x May 18, 2018

I have been contracting with Choice Home Warranty for approximately one year. I have not had serious problems with getting paid for work done although a little confusion sometimes but no real payment problems. My only complaint is you cannot depend on calls coming from Choice Home Warranty. For the last 2 months the only calls that come to my email are an average of 50 to 75 miles away. Calls in my local area have totally stopped. I called them and they say they are just slow. They say my stats are good and there is no problem. I have since branched out and taking on more regular service work. I enjoy working with the people at choice But do have to put food on the table. LOL.

• Am
    Amy conway Jul 20, 2018

Same happen to use they owe my husband over $3000.00 they are telling us that bc we are not a vender for them any more they will not send any invoice payments for no less theb 365 days.

• Db
    dbuttreychoicehomewarranty Aug 30, 2018

Looking for a lawyer to fight Choice Home Warranty here in NC. They refused to pay AC repair due to a picture of the coils stating they were dirty and not maintained, when their own technician and several other firms validated the coils were clean and well maintained. I contact CEO/COO and senior leadership, but they blew me off.

• Li
    Linda2walker Sep 21, 2018

Often Choice Home Warranty does not have a contractor to assign to your claim. You must find your own contractor. Upon his arrival, you will have to contact the warranty company to get pre-authorization. Be prepared for a long wait (long enough that you'll be invited to leave your phone number and wait for a call-back). In the meantime, the contractor can't begin his work...he has to wait for however long it takes. In one case, I was referred to a web-link which was not functional. This is a difficult "wait period" because the contractor does not have "time to wait". He's got jobs behind yours that he has to get off to. Before Choice can provide authorization, the contractor has to be ready to quote them precise costs (labor, parts, etc and provide a diagnosis). Often, it's the contractor's home office that figures all this up, so the contractor isn't prepared to make such a quote or firm diagnosis. Once you get past all the red tape, you're out all the costs up-front and must wait for reimbursement. I've been waiting for more than 60 days and still don't have reimbursement. In the meantime, the cost sits on my credit card. I recommend you forgo this exhaustive process and just set funds aside in your saving's so they'll be there when you need them. I wish I had done that. It would have been cheaper and less aggravating.

• Bo
    BobbyChapin1961 Feb 25, 2019

This company is a rip off. they own me money and will not pay. Told them I can go after the customer and they said I could be fined that it was in a contract. I have no contract with this company. To All Contractors Stay Away From Choice Home Warranty.

ANS Plumbing May 23, 2019

I had the same problem with these crooks. They owed me over 2500. But do not any of you think you can't beat them because you can. I finally got every penny owed to me. Contact the new Jersey attorney general's office.

I don't see why the attorney general doesn't close them down.

• Fl
    FL Plumber Jun 05, 2019

Good morning;
    I am a plumbing contractor in Florida in the same boat. They owe me in excess of $1000.00 and told me the same "if I don't continue doing calls for them they are not going to pay me". Does anyone have an e mail in management over there. I would like to give them a chance to pay before taking it to them.

ANS Plumbing Jun 05, 2019

Contact Randy at ansplumbing dot net. I'd love to help each one of you get your money from chw.

• Ho
    Houston Texas1 Aug 01, 2019

This is probably one of the worst company I have dealt with. I have had them for the last 5 years.
    I had my A/C go out and they sent out 2 different repair company and each one just said it was a fuse and then some other issue.
    I waited for over 10 days to get assistance and nothing.
    This was mid-July in Texas. I had a tenant with health issue living with us and could not afford being without A/C. I had informed them of this and they did nothing.
    WORST Home Warranty System EVERY.

• Bi
    Billy turner Oct 24, 2019

I had a problem with my AC unit. I call Choice Home warranty. They kept giving me the run around saying they did not have a tech in my town or close by an that I should find one an they would reimburse me. If that's the case what did I need them for why did I pay them every month for their service, i went ahead an paid to get my unit fixed, months went by an they called asking me to to catch my monthly fee up, i ask them why when they have never helped, they said I did a claim back in may an I told them I would find a tech to fix my unit which I did not say that, I told them to end my service an do not take any money out my account if so they will be talking to my lawyer . Who ever read this do not go with choice home warranty it a scam . And I'm not writing or saying this because I'm mad what I'm saying is the truth do go with this company unless u want to just give money away

• Vi
    Victim of theft by crooks Nov 11, 2019

Attention government, shut down this boiler room. Put these crooks in cuffs.