Menu
Cato
reviews & complaints

Cato
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

141 complaints
10 resolved 131 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claimed
This account has been claimed by Cato customer service / representatives through our verification process.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Cato. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
A
8:58 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I would like to let you know how I was unfairly treated at the Cato store number 507, 2095 South Highland, Jackson, TN 38301 cashier 101. I frequently shop at the store in Lynnwood Plaza because of the wonderful customer service, but because I was on the south side of the city, I decided to stop at the south store. I was not greeted with a "hello and notice...

10:05 am EDT

Cato - Employee

The one and only employee that was working the day I was in the store, was on her cell phone from the time I entered the store until I left, including while checking myself and other customers out. She received multiple personal calls from multiple people, including one call where you could clearly hear the person on the other end of the call that was obviously distraught, crying, and screaming. Not once did she ask if anyone needed any help, or offer any assistance to any of the customers shopping, including myself. She remained on the phone and barely spoke to any of the customers while she was checking them out. She continued her conversation with the other person on the phone while checking me out, and only spoke to me when she was done checking me out, only to tell me to select how I wanted my receipt. I visit this store often and everyone is always helpful. I am assuming she was new, as I have never seen her here before this visit.

I just feel it was extremely rude of her, and unprofessional, understand emergencies happen and we sometimes need to take personal calls at work, but I think this was a little extra.

Desired outcome: Maybe disciplinary action or write up, explaining to her that this is very unprofessional.

C
7:53 pm EDT

Cato - Employee

I frequently shop at Cato in Danville VA. Everyone in there is very nice. A new Caucasian woman has started working there and every time I (African-American) go in to shop she follows me around the store. I have never had this to happen. I don't know why she sees me as a threat. I went in the store with my elderly mother today (7/7/22) and the same woman checked us out. When we were walking out, that woman was walking behind us. When we got to the door the alarm went off. She rook our bags and checked them but didn't find anything. My mother told her it was because she has metal in her knee. She also has a card that states that. If people are prejudice they should not have a job working with the public.

The store is #00596 and the cashier & salesperson's number is 166. This

Desired outcome: Speak to her about her unacceptable behavior. If this keeps happening, I will keep filing complaints until something is done.

View 0 more photos
1 comment
C
Jul 08, 2022 10:33 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

We received your e-mail and would like you to speak to the District Manager in your area. Please e-mail your telephone number to CUSCM@catocorp.com and we will put you in contact with the District Manager.

T
5:56 pm EDT

Cato - boss sits in break room doing nothing/is rude to staff

the boss sits in the back room half the time and always talks down to the staff like she's above the rest of us. i started my job almost a month ago and am currently looking for a new job because of her and how she acts. all she does is go to the back room and sits on her phone all day and then talks to the staff like she's better than them. she should not be the manager at all. she's way too young/immature.

Desired outcome: she needs to be fired

A
4:25 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I came in to do a little summer shopping at Cato in the Apple Bossom Mall in Winchester Va. and I was completely ignored. When I asked for help, the lady looked at me and then continued putting the clothes away. I was disgusted with how I was treated and left.

7:12 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I got hired yesterday and I start work Friday but my employer never told me when I get paid. I don't know if cato hold back a week or not.

N
1:03 am EDT

Cato - No break

Today at work another manager from another store was at the store I work at training our new manager. I just started my job so I take a break when I am told to. I use my break to eat lunch and finally sit down for the first time in hours. Today the manager from another store was too busy that she didn't tell me to take lunch. She also talked down to me all day. She shouldn't be the manager at her store if she's going to act like that. I was so disrespected today and all day I looked forward to lunch so I could sit down after standing on my feet 7.5 hours. Also I felt like I was going to pass out a few times for standing too long and going without food.

Desired outcome: I think someone should talk to the managers & let them know they need to tell their staff to take break & tell them not to talk down to their staff. I think the store manager from another store training our new manager should get fired.

9:44 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Cato - Gift certificate. Should not be a deadline.

I called your store where a gift certificate was purchased before the covid pandemic to ask if they have a record of my certificate. They said no certificates are bought anymore. Ok, I understand that, but I misplaced my certificate which was bought before the covid pandemic. Now, I want to use it and was told No. Not a good way for business. If I cannot get credit for it, I will not be the only person to stay away from your stores. Do not like to do that, but $120.00 is a lot of money. Can you help me?

Respectfully.

Judith Varady

[protected]@aol.com

Desired outcome: I would like a refund.

4:09 pm EST

Cato - CATO - No longer selling perfume

I stopped in at the CATO store in Jacksonville, NC, after not having been in a few months. Was very upset that the awesome Dorall Exotic Vanilla(or any) perfume is no longer being sold! I love this scent and have worn it almost exclusively for years! Not only is is a great scent but also so reasonably riced! I'm sure this was a bottom line decision but this particular store did well selling perfume, according to the associate I spoke to. Please reconsider bringing back the perfume line! I've had to resort to buying it from secondary sellers at a stupid mark-up, which annoys me. Maybe you could offer it on your website?

Desired outcome: Bring back perfume line or offer it on website.

Update by Sandy Cence
Feb 22, 2022 4:10 pm EST

Please excuse my typos - I guess I was a little worked up! lol

T
5:41 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I bought a skirt from the Cato store in stone mountain. I went today 01/02/2022 to return the skirt and the cashier #106 accused me of wearing the skirt. she tried to deny me the return. I would have returned the skirt on Saturday, but the store was not open. The skirt had never been worn because it did not fit, and the cashier claims it had a stain and...

10:10 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Edwardsville il Cato to return a blouse I bought the day before. Didn't have my phone and I had the receipt emailed instead of printed. Employee told me no return without email. Cato can't pull up transaction with my debit card? My mom loves Cato, I had to tell her to never request email receipt, as she doesn't have a cell phone, so guess she would have bring her whole computer in for a refund? Ridiculous

5:11 pm EST

Cato - Return Item

Staff was assisting me with a return I purchased online through PayPal and I didn't have the PayPal credit card as it don't have a card attached to it. The District Manager Brittany came up and interfered in the conversation w/o acknowledging herself by saying excuse me or trying to find out what was going on.; she proceeds to tell me without the proper card I couldn't get a refund and will have to have a gift card. Again, I tried to explain the PayPal account I use to purchase the item does NOT have a card attached. I asked staff who were assisting me to please finish assisting me, Brittany RUDELY walked off GIGGLING to herself as if I was STUPID and didn't know what I was taking a about, when I asked the staff for her name she loudly stated "MY NAME IS BRITTANY AND I AM THE DISTRICT MANAGER " She was extremely RUDE, and if I decided to go back there to shop and if I see her In the store I REFUSE to shop there. District Manager or Nit her Attitude and professionalism should be on point when dealing with the customers. Staff like her gives your business a bad name.

Josephine Madry

Desired outcome: Acknowledge my complaint with feedback

Update by Josephine Madry
Dec 09, 2021 5:12 pm EST

District Manager Brittany lacks good customer services, totally RUDE!

D
9:03 pm EDT

Cato - Perfume

I live in Keokuk, Iowa. A town with not many places to shop. There are only two places in this area that I purchase perfume. The Cato's in Keokuk, and an hour away in Illinois at a Rue21. To my huge disappointment, I discovered our Keokuk Cato's no longer sells perfume! Perfume and purses were the only things I bought in that store. I don't buy the clothes because none of them fit me. The shirts are too short, and the jeans are too short also. I am tall, and your clothes are not made for people like me. You took away the one thing I needed from your store today. I'm asking you to bring it back, please. Driving an hour away just for a bottle of perfume is unreasonable. And your employees at that store agree and are on my side about this issue. Please bring it back.

Desired outcome: Bring back perfume at the Keokuk, Iowa store.

H
9:53 pm EDT

Cato - In store experience

I visited the store In Boynton Beach, Fl tonight. I've never had an issue at this store for all the years I've been shopping here. I came in 11mins to closing. I did not have a receipt but I had my form of payment. I was even willing to get store credit. The younger female that was helping me said I had to have a receipt and the transaction could not be looked up by the original for of payment. So, I asked her why it said that on the return policy in front of the register and she again repeated "you have to have the receipt. Come back and talk to the manager, and we're closing in 5 mins" An older lady walked up and kept asking her if she needed help. Then the younger lady replied in Spanish to her. Repeating to her that I can't return my item bc I didn't have the receipt. However, the older female told her the return policy and she was able to refund it to the card I original paid on.
My concern here is, the fact that although I may not look like I understand Spanish… I do 100%- and, nowadays it is not ethical to try and switch languages in front of a customer visiting your place of work. I am not sure when that became a part of the business process. I'm appalled. Secondly, telling me I have 5mins was not something I asked and should never be presented to any customer. Please find a way to train this employee the proper way.

Desired outcome: Train new hires better

M
3:07 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Debbie at Cato's on W Walnut in garland is very rude, loud and unprofessional.

2:20 pm EDT

Cato - General shopping

I would like to praise the Cato store Manager Cherie Harmon and her assistant Kya Jann in Saginaw, Texas. The customer service and professional manner in which I was taken care of goes over and above what you get these days. They made me feel special like I was the only one in the store while still welcoming other customers as they came in. These ladies know how to treat customers, which makes you want to come back time after time... I'm a young 71 and I love your styles. I will be a long time customer for sure.

Desired outcome: Just a good word for the Manager and Assistant

L
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

The cashier was rude and my choltes had stains on them I'm not heaving it no longer

Y
12:11 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On Saturday, June 19, 2021, I went into Cato in Forrest City, Arkansas because I needed to very quickly purchase a new pair of leggings right before I went to work. I came into the store 15 minutes before closing. I knew exactly where I was going, what I needed, and did not expect to spend more than 5 minutes in the store. My family and I have been to thi...

R
6:30 pm EDT

Cato - Service

Hello,
I bought three tops from your store in Selmer, Tennessee. Two of the tops did not fit me properly and I returned them. The lady who assisted me was training a young lady on how to do a refund from my email receipt. She was asking her if the clothes were from their store and I said yes, they are. I work right behind you. Meaning the Walmart behind her store. She rudely told me to make sure the tags were left on the clothes next time. I did pull one of the tags off one of the tops but I had it in the bag with the tops I was returning and I have been in retail for 23 years. I know they can reattach the tags. I can tell you that I will not shop at that store again. Neither will I recommend it to anyone. That was not good customer service.

Desired outcome: Reprimand.

M
8:51 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

It was Saturday, May 8, 2021 at approximately 2 pm when I arrived at Cato in DeSoto. Two females were behind the counter as I approached with my return in hand. I frequently shop at this Cato and had never seen either one of these ladies. As I approached neither one of them greeted me as they watched me approached the counter. So I said hello and told them...

Cato contacts