CarMaxawful, awful, awful

M

My husband has been with CarMax for 10 years. He was recruited from another dealership, in another words CarMax WANTED him, pursued him for a year, as a matter of fact, sought him out and hired him.

My story starts in 1999 when CarMax told him that he had to fly to Florida for 3 months of training, 3 months turned into 12 whole months. Myself and our 2 young children were left at home alone for an entire year based on promises of a wonderful future with CarMax. Finally, after a year of waiting, they relocated us to the other side of the country, leaving our friends and family behind. A big price to pay, but well worth it for a future with this brand new, great company, that seemed to be on the rise. We had to relocate, at CarMax's request, 2 more times before we finally settled down in one place. We have been in our current location for 7 years now. Our children attend High school now and are finally happy because they have friends and a stable home. The constant moving and leaving their family and friends behind was very difficult for them.

Our trouble first started early 2009. My husband had a problem employee that learned that all he had to do is call the "Cool" line and he could get his managers in trouble whether they deserved it or not. Another words, great tool for associates if used properly. Great tool for unscrupulous associates that want to get their managers in trouble, because they CAN. It seems as though CarMax's approach is Guilty until proven innocent. This associated caused a lot of trouble. Long story short my husband's name was now on the radar. Because his name was now on the radar, He was given a Corrective action, for crap that was later proven to be false by their own HR investigation team and one other issue that was thin at best. Was he given an apology?...NO. Was the corrective removed?...NO. He was told NOT to worry that CarMax had confidence in him and was certain that he could overcome these "issues". For the next several months he received nothing but positive feedback from his immediate boss (GM) and his regional team. Several weeks ago one of his coworkers asked for his help on resolving an issue, my husband misunderstood exactly what this coworker wanted initially, but took immediate action to resolve the issue. Through communication with this coworker, he was able to ascertain exactly what he wanted and moved swiftly to resolve the issue. In the meantime his GM caught wind of this "misunderstanding" and twisted it into an entirely different story. He relayed this "story" he had created to the regional team who now stated that my husband is an ineffective manager and is not on the same page as CarMax. Long story short they fired him. They gave no reason as to exactly why (because there isn't one) There was no severance package, no letter of separation, no NOTHING, just three form letters saying goodbye. TEN YEARS of dedication, TEN YEARS of 60-70 hr work weeks and they threw him out on his ear. My husband, my children and I are now in danger of losing everything for NOTHING!! He is in danger of losing everything he has worked for and has NO IDEA why. Countless coworkers have called him in support, they too can not understand why CarMax has done this to him. If he was truly not an effective manager, why are all these people calling???

This is how this Fortune 500 company truly treats there employees. Top 100 places to work??? Not if you're a manager, especially an OPS manager, Long hours, an insurmountable workload and NO RESPECT. No wonder our Country is in such trouble and unemployment is on the rise. Company's like CarMax use hard working people like my husband to rise to the top and then drop them like a hot potato, why? Because they can. No respect! Thank you CarMax for uprooting my family and devastating my husband, my children and myself. My husband feels like he has let his family down, when in true it is YOU that has let us down and from the sounds of it, many other hard working people.

Hopefully he can find work soon...or we will be out on the street.