Having problems with Capital One?

1800 481 3239 (USA and Canada)
+1 877 383 4802 (General Customer Service)
+1 800 227 4825 (Credit Card Accounts)
+1 800 867 0904 (Small Business Banking Products)
+1 888 810 4013 (Capital One Bank Products)
+1 800 289 1992 (Capital One 360 Products)
+1 800 946 0332 (Auto Financing)
+1 877 464 2151 (Home Loans)
+1 866 435 6299 (Home Equity)
+1 800 926 1000 (Personal Loan)
+1 855 780 5047 (Investing Products)
+44 800 952 5267 (United Kingdom)
+44 344 481 4814 (United Kingdom)
15000 Capital One Dr.

Sending a Cheque
P.O. Box 1000, Camberley, GU15 3ZQ

Complaints & Reviews

capitol one sucks

Earlier this year someone got my credit card info and tried to purchse something online fraudulently. A month later I got an email from capitol one about it. I called them and they cancelled my credit card and issued another card in it's place. When it came payment time I tried to do online banking but my savings account info was gone. I contacted my savings bank online and asked for the bank routing number. I made the payment but it was refused as 'no such account'. I contact capitol one and found out what happenned and the rep reversed my late fees. I went into my bank and found out the routing number was for wire transfers and was given the correct number for online banking. Now every time they get a payment a 2 week hold is placed on it. In July a rep got rude with me saying it was all my fault and hung up on me when I demanded a supervisor. I called back and complained about that and a supervisor made a notation on my accout to fix this problem. So, I just made my sept payment and the hold is back again. I'm so sick of their crap!!!

santanderbites Jun 28, 2010

I have 2 Capitol One credit cards I've been attempting to pay off to no avail. I called their 'customer service' and of course was met by someone who can' t speak English. I asked him to close both accounts. One had been paid off by check, which of course had been converted to something on my bank statement that made no sense and the copy of the check disappeared. The other account had disappeared and there was no trace of it. I'd sent in the payment stub with the full amount. The payment stub didn't have the full account number on it. They've always taken my checks before but decided this one was special so the payment was not taken nor was the check returned nor cashed. As far as I'm concerned this account no longer exists if they can' t find a record for it so it can be turned over to their favorite collection agency and they can eat the loss. These people are idiots and parasites. I hope they go under along with all of the other crooks that have failed in the last 2 years and they can take Chase and Santander with them. There should be a law against the type of usurious theft.

• Da
    Dan Webber Mar 03, 2017

I am trying to close out an IRA account and they are setting up roadblocks as well as charging me $75.00. They need to be investigated

Resolved money stealing company

This company needs to go out of business!! We hit a deer with or vehicle that is financed through them. Our insurance company made the check out to them and us. Their policy of course. They will not endorse the check and send it back so we can fix it anywhere we want. Their customer service is horrible they do not want to listen or help their customers what so ever. They just want to steal our money. I also did complain to the BBB and others should too!! They are rip off artists and do not care about any thing.

• Me
    Melody Lee Nov 16, 2008

Had the exact same thing happen, but they convienced the insurance company to write a second check $6700.00 to them, Capitol One approved the body shops quote for repairs and agreed to pay them when the repairs were done. Once the repairs had been made and payment was due, Capitol One said they applied the check to the balance of my account. How can they do that my payments were up to date even though the car was in the body shop.

When I called them they said there was nothing they could do I would have to pay the repair shop myself, and that I had a payment due three days ago. I asked what did the insurance check cover, meaning what months, the lady said the check was put at the end of the note, that's why I'm going to have to keep making payments. They told me that with the insurance check was paid on the account my balance was less than $4000.00.

I went to the body shop and explained the problem, they called Capitol One and was told the same thing. Body shop is out over $4800.00 for repairs I don't have the money to pay for, body shop put a lean on the car, against myself and Captiol One.

Talked with several attorneys but they said there is no LAW to prevent the insurance company or Captiol One from doing what was done. Who interests am I paying insurance for, my intestment in a car or Capitiol Ones.

• Di
    disgusted customer Aug 28, 2009

I agree they should be out of business!!! We had a van and were making payments on time however one month the payday didn't fall right and we were TWO days late. From that time they refused to discuss the account, refused payments we tried to make through western union quick collect and NEVER called, emailed or mailed us. Yet they called all our references and anyone else that they could find that knew us and let them know we were "behind and refusing to make the payments" . Today the van was repossessed and the repo man (thank God) was on top of things and stopped their attempts to file charges on us for "hindering a secured creditor" My husband has worked the same job for 30+ years and we mailed them a letter and changed the address online the one time we moved. Our phone numbers never changed. How could they accuse us of hiding the vehicle or not making payments and what else could we have possibly tried? This company is bad news and I would advise anyone to stay clear of them!!!

Resolved scam and lies

I recently received a "special offer" for 0% APR for 12 months from Capital One. The letter stated that if I used any of the three attached checks by the deadline, I would receive this low interest rate for a year. So I used two checks (both of which were attached to this letter).

However, when the transactions went through, one apparently came in as a convenience check and the other as an access check. So they started charging me a finance fee for the so called convenience check. The problem here is that it was not a convenience check. They came from the same stub, attached to the same letter. How can they come in differently? I even verified that I met all the requirements - use by date, etc.

So I called customer service and the woman was very helpful at first. She told me that I was right and that she would have it fixed. "Just check your next statement." Guess what happened?

I had to call a second time because not only did the balance not move over to 0% interest, but now they need to credit me the finance charge for the last two statements. The first woman apparently only "put in a request" and it was denied by the higher-ups. Was anyone going to let the customer know?

Now, I must call a third time to talk to a "senior account manager" because this second woman can't do anything about it.

The moral of the story: MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR FINANCE CHARGES AND QUESTION FEES THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE. And here's probably the bigger lesson: don't ever use the checks that come in the mail claiming 0% interest b/c even when you read the fine print and everything is what it's supposed to be, they still get you. Though I will continue to try to get my money back, this "processing error" is a pain in the you know what. I wonder how many processing errors occur each day.

After reading about how unhappy the company's consumers are, I wonder how they are still in business - maybe they get the first time credit card holders. (They were my first, and after almost ten years, I'm still at the same interest rate (the 0% was too good to be true). My other credit card companies reward me with low rates for my good credit.)

• Valerie Sep 26, 2008

Capital one is the absolute worst financial institution out there they try to devise ways to make you fail, I have been paying a car loan for five years without fail on time they then at the end of the loan lifr coun days you did not pay exactly on the due date (due date on the 8th of each month online banking sometimes takes a day or two to submit to them sometimes they would receive payment on the 9th or 10th at the latest falling well within grace periods allowed by all othee institutions now they say I owe an additional 87.00 bucks and I can no longer submit this final ### payment via online banking I have to send a money order to plano texas, what a crappy institution please if you are considering any business with them you should really re-consider, lets put them out of business!!!

• Lo
    Lori Feb 08, 2009

I have had a similar problem with this company. I was offered a 0% introductory rate for purchases and balance transfers until 2/2/09. I contacted Capital One to determine the exact date the 0% was good to and was told by the representative that a finance charge of 14.99% was being charged on my balance transfer and the offer for 0% was not good for the transfer. I asked to speak with a supervisor who then determined it was Capital Ones error and they should have processed the balance transfer at 0% so he transferred me to another person to get it corrected. The next lady said no that it was correct at 14.99% but then proceeded to tell me that the offer when I opened the account was 0% on purchases and balance transfers were the same a purchases. Which would be 0%. She told me I was incorrect and who ever I spoke to earlier misinformed me on the error on Capital Ones part. She then transferred me to another account manager who again told me that the rate is correct at 14.99%. She asked me if I had my offer paperwork and explained that I no longer had it but told her I was advised by two representatives that my offer was 0% on purchases and balance transfer. I told her why would I transfer a balance to a card that is 14.99% when I have excellent credit. It makes no sense. They have over charged me over $1000 in interest. I have been reading other peoples complaints and it seems that this company is scamming customers and when they are called on it they will do nothing to help. You have some reps that will tell you it is their fault and they will transfer you to someone who will correct it but when you get the next rep they blame it on the customer. I worked in credit for many years and would never dream of treating customers this way. Something needs to be done with Capital One and the way they are doing business.

Resolved rip off

I have a personal loan with Capitalone. The payments come out of my checking each month, so they know they are going to get paid. There was an accident in front of my house and two of the family cars were totaled which made finances tight. I ask if they would defer a payment until the end of the loan. Do you think they would, of course not. They didn't even look at my account to see that I had been paying double on everything for over a year. They are uncaring individuals. I am very unhappy with them.

fraudilent practices!

When I received a pre-approved credit card solicitation from Orchard Bank, it said nothing about annual fees associated with the card. So when I called to respond to solicitation, the first thing I asked an account representative was whether or not the card had an annual fee. I was assured it did not. I made it very clear that unless the card had no annual fee and the introductory APR was locked at 0% for the first 12 months, I had no interest whatsoever to open that account. Again, I was assured by the account manager on the phone that the APR was indeed 0% for the first year and there was no annual fee. I also stated I was not interested in any other bogus fees, like proetection insurance, and such. I stated that the only thing I want to see on my monthly statements, were my purchases, and nothing else - otherwise, I have no interest in the product offered. Lo and behold, when I got my first statement, annual fee of $39 was listed there. After calling the 800 Customer Service # being placed on hold for about 6 minutes, I finally got to a customer service rep. After hearing my complaint, she informed me that she needs to transfer me to another account manager. I then repeated my complaint to the account manager. She informed me she regretted I was "misleaded" (her words, not mine - unfortunately, the lady possessed very poor command of English language) and said she will go ahead and close the account even though they were "sorry to lose my business". I pointed out to her that if she was truly sorry about losing my business, the right (and ethical) thing to do was to deliver on their promise of no annual fee card and waive that fee. She said again she was very sorry but she could not help me in any other way. I asked he if she really thought that the bank was actually going to collect the fee I was promised not to be charged in the first place, to which she replied, "if you don't pay us, we'll report you to all three national credit bureaus". Great practice, eh?

• Gl
    GLC53 Jun 27, 2010

Orchard bank has a great way of ripping you off. Their credit protection elite is nothing more than a scam. and trust me when I say this I am having this issue looked at legally. I have the protection and have always had it since I got the card. So I get some Hindu clown who stated by the way he was in the USA. What a crock anyway. I retired in 2008 from my job. In october 2008 I had to go back to work at another job due to my wife being disabled. I worked there till 03/15/2010. This is when the company shut down our operation. I filed this paperwork along with the unemployment proof and I get a letter stating retirement is not covered I filed on the unemployment not retirement and by the way retirement is covered it is on their insurance page so they lied!. But take a look at the protection elite page. This Bin Laden sounding clown states that on page 15 it states retirement I asked this idiot what page 15 I only sent in 3 pages. Any way I believe Orchard Bank (HFC of Nevada) are guilty of Bank and lending fraud. So Now I will talk to a lawyer and My Attorney Generals office here where I live. But trust me when I say I have proof that they are guilty of bank fraud. So now it is time to stick it to them and their associates. ENOUGH OF THE ORCHARD BANK RIP OFFS! CARD HOLDERS IF YOU DONT FILE CHARGES AGAINST THEM THEY WILL ALWAYS GET AWAY WITH THEIR ILLEGAL ACTIVITY.

abandoned property

I had a 3 year Cd with Green Point SAvings of New Hyde Park that expired in Feb 06'. I received a letter...

Resolved poor customer service

Rcv'd phone call alerting to fraud activity on my CAPITOL ONE credit card - when contacted c/s serv was constantly transfered around reps would not give me any info unless I went personally to my bank for verification of my identity - next business day went personally to my bank & contacted c/s serv once again was transfered around & each time was asked same questions to prove my identity which was an extreme embarrassment to me & employees of my bank - then was told need to contact back in 2 hrs because of technical difficulties. again contacted c/s serv 2 hrs later & again tansfered around again - recv'd nothing but hassels from the self proclaimed no hassel company.

Resolved fraud and scam

I had been a customer of Capital One for quite sometime starting in 2000 and ending in 2004. The reason I...

switch scam

I requested a auto refinance loan and then I did not receive a denial, instead it was "referred" to Roadloans.com who charges 12% interest. I am guessing that Capital One gets a fee out of this, so maybe this is how the loan crisis began by turning people down who have good credit, so they pay a higher interest.

• Cl
    clearblue Dec 07, 2009

I just applied for a capitol one auto loan and I already have a loan with them on a previous car that is almost paid off. I am going to trade it in on another car. They refused the loan for no reason. They say they will send a letter. This is very disconcerting since I have an excellent credit rating with clearly enough income to qualify. I wish others would post if they too have excellent credit and have been refused a low rate used auto loan through Capital one auto finance. This is a totally different complaint but I am wondering if they are going to pull the switcheroo the person complained about above.

• Re
    reddfoxx Dec 21, 2009

I agree. This is the second time Capital One did it to me.
    They send me an email and they offer me a car loan or a car loan refinance.
    Then they decline my online application and an hour later I get an email "offer" form RoadLoans.
    Last time the RoadLoans called me and offered me some idiotic loan terms. I declined.
    I guess they will be calling me tomorrow offering me the same exact bologna.
    I have an average credit score close to 760 so I guess Capital One is playing some kind of a game here..
    Naughty bankers, naughty naughty..

• Ro
    roaddog44 Feb 25, 2010

This is insane ! and really funny at the same time ! ... same thing happened to me today, as described by reddffox . Applied on line to Capital One for a auto refinance. Credit is strong ... same thing ... would get their decision in 24 hours ... Boom .. one hour later 4:15 pm ( log that time in) I get the email from Cap One ... declining the loan ... they would send a letter ( why not an e-mail?) with reasons why they declined.
    Boom .. at 4:17 pm I get the Roadloans approval email.
    Now, folks, I admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer ... but get out of town .. even I know these guys are scamming. The funny thing is .. I would have thought somebody in the scam planning meeting, somebody with average intelligence would say ... na, they'll (the consumer) never go for this ! But, nnooooo, greed has these num_nuts blinded.
    OK, here's how they play the on line scam: Cap One sends the email out to a huge list ( some call it broadcasting) They're fishing ... Boom .. got one ...

At this point, it was never intended to run the loan through Cap One ... (I believe reddffox when he says he has excellent credit) they're using their image as a large financial institution to push good credit and OK credit people to RoadLoans. They get a commission (percentage) of the loan... even if it's less than the 4.34 they scam with ... they still don't have to carry the paper. Free Money !
    Think about it ... with all the spam that tries to get to you ... would you have responded to an unknown company like Roadloans ... filled out their application ... given them your fricken SS number ! NO ! No way .

Summary: Cap One and #1 Roadloans have a deal ... some where some how ... hey if they read this ... so, sue me.
    #2 They have covered up their tracks like a cat in a litter box. You couldn't find the connection any better than a blood hound with pepper up his nose.
    #3 It's a scam ... and hold the phone Millie ... even guys like me now know it !
    But, it doesn't matter ... even the internet can't stop them ... how many people will come to this web site ? To them(Cap One and Roadkill) it really doesn't matter .. they play the percentages .. so many get hooked ..so many get away ... ... it's all free money ... the Banking community put us in the recession ... and we bailed them out ... the same idiots that screwed things up the first time are now using our tax dollars to scam us ! Geez, only in the good old USA ... what a country ! ... I love it. Being hosed by your own banker ... now that's real message.
    Good Luck Friends ... we're still in the ground war and the bank idiots are our home grown IED's

• Js
    js163154 Dec 04, 2010

I agree this is B.S. for you guys with good credit. However roadloans is a reputable company and provides a good service to guys like me with less than perfect credit. I will say cap 1 is getting shady the dont wanna lend for anything anymore like all the big banks they got their bailout and their not sharing.

terrible policies and customer service

After owning a credit card with Capital One for nearly 3 years and paying down a credit line in excess of 5...

Resolved reimbursement for disputed charges

On Nov. 21, 2007, I purchased a round trip ticket through Expedia from RDU to HYS. My return flights on Dec. 11, 2008 were cancelled. Cancellations were weather related. Great Lakes Air and American Airlines (AA) re booked me with the same itinerary for the following day. However, the AA agent told me that because the initial leg of my flight on Dec. 1, 2007 was via United (RDU to ORD; ORD to MCI), United would have to issue the new ticket. I spent the remainder of the afternoon and a good part of the evening on the telephone trying to get this ticket issued. Out of frustration and desperation placed another call to Expedia. I explained to this agent that the first UA agent told me UA could not issue a ticket for another airline. Subsequent calls to Great Lakes, AA, and Expedia told me that under the circumstances UA could. Relaying this to the next UA agent I spoke with, he told me the ticket would have to be issued at a United counter and he could not help the fact there were none within hours of HYS. Although Great Lakes Airlines appears to be a United partner, this agent claimed Great Lakes could not issue the ticket (ultimately they did the following day and my itinerary says I flew United 5041, operated by Great Lakes Airlines). Conferring again with a Great Lakes agent, I was told they would accommodate me and fly me to DEN or MCI where there were UA counters (the agent confirmed I already held a reservation on their flight 5068 to MCI). Relaying this to the next UA agent I spoke with, he told me I did not hold a reservation on flight 5068, the flight was fully booked, but he could book me on a later flight. However, he was sorry to tell me I would not be able to make my connection on AA 4695, and I would have to be routed on other UA flights to RDU. I next called Great Lakes and their agent assured me I still held a reservation on flight 5068. It was at this time I called Expedia again and talked to an agent who was able to act as an intermediate, by simultaneously contacting a United agent. He told me United was not willing to accommodate me with the reservations I presently held because it was not in their financial interest. He told me United was willing to accommodate me with two itineraries, both with United as the carrier. I choose the one through DEN, even though the weather forecast was for freezing rain through the night. Safety, my disabilities, and recent surgery are another issue I won�t address; UA didn�t care and I wanted to get home. The Expedia agent relayed my choice to accept the flight through DEN to the United agent. I was told to check in at the Great Lakes' counter in HYS at least an hour prior to my flight.

I should have filed a complaint pursuant to my experience described above, but I had already expended considerable time and was content this ordeal was over, but in reality it had just started. When I received my Capitol One January statement, I noticed two charges on Dec. 11 to United, $649.90 and $15.00. This was the date my flights were cancelled; the day I was not even able to travel to the Hays airport. I never gave my credit card number to a United agent for these charges, nor authorized Expedia to do so (recall, the Expedia agent was my mediator; I never even talked to a United agent in finalizing my flights). I don't know how United was able to obtain my credit card number.

In addition to fraudulently charging my credit card, United Airlines violated the terms of their contract. Rule 240, section C 1 A in the United Airlines Contract of Carriage states that �UA will transport the passenger without stopover on its next flight on which space is available � at no additional cost to the passenger.�

Capital One violated the terms of their contract by not removing these fraudulent charges from my account. Initially their contention was the charges were legitimate because the service was provided (UA transported me on a flight). Subsequently, their contention is there was no fraud; I actually purchased two tickets with different itineraries and it�s inconsequential how UA obtained my credit card number or if the charges were made without my verbal or written authorization.

In trying to recover these charges, several contacts were made to UA:

1. There is an average waiting time of 30 minutes to speak to an agent

2. Agents have no authority, although you must tell every detail of complaint before being referred to a supervisor

3. Referrals to supervisors incur additional waiting time, or voice mail instructs consumer to leave phone number for return call

4. Return calls not usually received (I received only one after having left several messages)

5. All agents I spoke to in refund department with UA were difficult to understand because English is not their native language. Either my wife had to speak in my behalf, or we had to request another supervisor � more delays.

6. On March 7, 2008, via e-mail, UA issued an apology and offered me a $100.00 travel voucher on UA, but no additional refund or compensation for fraud or violation of contract

7. UA finally agreed to refund charges if I could provide proof flights of Dec. 11 had been cancelled. This information was provided by phone on March 11, 2008 by Great Lakes Air agent

8. On May 28, 2008 United only offered to refund an unspecified value of return portion of original ticket (original full round trip ticket was purchased for $554.20)

Having not received a refund, I disputed these charges with Capitol One because they were not authorized:

1. Pursuing dispute through Capitol One required at least fifty hours on phone and preparing and sending documents.

2. Every phone call requires navigating through several layers of automated menus, holding time, and frequent misdirected and dropped calls

3. There is no was to speak to the same agent after misdirected or disconnected calls, and the entire history has to be repeated each time (Capital One agents are prohibited to initiate outgoing calls)

4. Identical documentation and information was requested several different times

5. Although Capital One initially refunded these charges, following their �investigation� the charges were reinstated. In their analysis, the charges were not fraudulent even though documentation was provided substantiating I was using a previously purchased ticket in accordance with United Airlines Contract of Carriage

6. On May 28. 2008, after four hours of calls to several agents and departments, the individual agent I was speaking to at the time discovered I UA had actually issued a credit on May 6, 2008, but the credit had somehow gotten lost

7. This lost credit would take an additional seven to fourteen days to appear on my statement

8. My last balance on Capital One of $156.90 was due on June 20, 2008. If the credit was not found and applied to my account, I would be required to make a payment towards this balance

I have volumes of notes and documents, which I would be happy to provide in part or in full upon request.

Resolved penalties & finance charges despite payment in full

Last month, Capitol one stuck $64.68 of charges on my account, ostensibly because my payment was late. After I showed that my bank had made the payment on time, the charges were removed.

This month, however, I have a new charge of $9.56 because I paid the balance less the $64.68 (which was credited to my account before the due date.)

Today I had to listen to Tara and Shirley from Capitol One "Customer Service" tell me that a zero-balance isn't proof of payment in full...that I should have overpaid the account by $64.68 in order to avoid the $9.56 finance charge. What rubbish!

Let's do the math, too...assume for a minute that the erroneous charge of $64.68 was valid, 9.56/64.68 over 30 days amounts to %177 APR.

stolen card

My home was broken into in April - the thieves took and used my Capital One Credit Card and AOL Visa credit card to make gas purchases. I called Capital One and AOL Visa immediately. A fraud representative from Capital One told me she would be sending out fraud forms for me to complete and the amt of 106.00 would be removed from the card. It is July and I am still waiting for the fraud forms and the 106.00 dollars to credit to my acct. I have made numerous phone call regarding this matter- still with no results. The 106.00 balance is still being carried on the card. As soon as this matter is resolved I'm canceling this acct-never to return.

As far as AOL credit card- they resolved this matter in days!

• Je
    jenn Oct 15, 2008

I can relate. I reported my card so long ago I had to choose the option that says 'report your card as lost, missing or stolen'. Those options are probably separate now. Anyway, it vanished at a restaurant and I reported it promptly. I was told the typical (at that time) this and that about it - I wouldn't be responsible for fraudulent charges, I didn't need to report it to the bureaus, blah, blah, blah... I had done what I was supposed to do and the canceling and such of the account was going to be done on their end.

I found out years later that not only had the account never been canceled or whatever but also that it had been accumulating compounding fees and interest for all that time and that they never did report that I reported the card as stolen (even up to - literally - today). After several years they decided that they wanted a police report, which was not expected nor asked of me at the time and I obviously couldn't get after half a decade, not to mention a whole bunch of other things, when I hadn't even heard from them for years and my credit report with them showed as okay.

They have harassed my family relentlessly, calling up to 17 times a day- knowing that I don't live there and that they are calling a business number, not a home one. They finally stopped when my mother told them they had been and would continue to be reported every single day they did it and that she had no problem with suing them as well. This is about the time they decided to report all details of my "delinquent account" to the bureaus.

This card, I might add, had a balance of less than 5 dollars when this happened - that money was sent to them and they accepted it, had been payed on time the entire time I had it and payed at 95% of the total balance each time. I was trying to build credit since I had none. Needless to say, my credit is now hosed and I wouldn't be all too surprised if they've tried to get some kind of judgment against me without my knowledge.

[email protected] Oct 25, 2008

IF YOUR TIME IS IMPORTANT TO YOU, NEVER USE CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD. They are the worst in the industry! For the 4th or 5th time in a few months, they have put a hold on my credit card for no reason. It is so embarrasing! I am waiting in line to pay the cashier at a supermarket and the card gets declined. I know that there is plenty of money on the card, so I called the customer service number. Guess what? I am transferred to India, where I could barely understand the customer rep's thick Indian accent. I had to repeat my card number several times, then she argues that the number I gave is not a legitimate number. I said, "What?!" I am reading the card that you, guys issued me and I have been using this same card for years. Then, she puts me on hold for several minutes. Upon her return, I remind her that I am still holding up the line at the supermarket and people are starting to glare at me like it's my fault that my credit card is having problems. The service rep asks me to repeat the credit card number 2 more times, puts me on hold for 3 more minutes and then says that there is no hold on the card and for the cashier to try to run it again. For the 4th time, the store cashier runs the card and again, the computer screen says that the card is declined. I tell the service rep this, and she still insists that it is not on their end, but on the store's end. The cashier runs the card 2 more times. Same thing. I ask the service rep to be transferred to a supervisor and she says in "an-i-don't-give-a-crap" voice, "I can't transfer you until I exhaust all the troubleshooting possibilities. What are the last 3 digits on the back of your card?" I give her the number and she says, "That is an invalid code". Again, I shriek, '"What?! I am simply reading the back of my card and I have used this code and this card for years? What is going on?" She says (amused), "Hold the line..." Again, I was on hold for several minutes, then she comes back on the line and said, "I don't see any problem on the card. Run the card again... Maybe this time it will work." I ask the cashier (who at this time, is now glaring at ME), to run the card one last time. Guess what? Card is still declined and the phone goes dead!

credit card fraud

My name is Scott Wright. I am a victim of credit card fraud. A girl has gotten my information from my mail...

harrassing phone calls

I bought a car through a Capital One Auto Finance 2 & a half years ago. In good standing. A few months ago...

Resolved midleading and bad customer service

I have been a Cap One customer for years. In January I made a balance tranfer to my current APR which was 0%...

Resolved scam and cheating

I had decided to make use of my time overseas to improve my credit and started this credit card account. As I...

Resolved fraudulent activity

This company is terrible when it comes to customer service. You'd think that you could get someone on...

Resolved scam and cheating!

On monday October 1st 2007 I checked my checking account online normally as I do i see a balance of five...

Resolved they are corrupt

I was VERY dissatisfied with the way I was treated by the Capital One representatives with regard to some fraudulent charges on my credit card statement and I am very suspicious about the way they handle business. By the way, I am an excellent customer.

In November/December 2007, I received a call from Capital One stating that someone was attempting to make charges to my credit card from Hong Kong. My card was cancelled and a new card was issued. This was the first time anything like this ever happened to me. There were no suspicious charges on my current bill and I never really made it a habit to scrutinize my bills on a monthly basis since I have never had fraudulent charges appear before. So when I received my end of year SUMMARY from Capital One in January/February 2008, I noticed that there were three charges made to my credit card that I know nothing about. One was on May 1, 2007 for the amount of $21.40, one was on July 4, 2007 for the amount of $123.90, and one was on August 6, 2007 for the amount of $123.90, for a total amount of $269.20. I immediately made copies of the charges and sent a letter explaining the suspicious charges. On Friday, April 11, 2007 I was transferred and put on hold numerous times. More often than not you could not understand the people you are talking to. I spoke with Florine, Charine (ID XNZJ966), Elizabeth, John, and finally Rudy (ID FQK130) who told me that a credit would be issued, my credit card would be cancelled, and a new one sent out. On Saturday April 12, I called Capital One again, and discovered what Rudy told me was a lie. My credit card was not cancelled and the charges were not removed. Again, I was transferred numerous times, to Sergio (WWE444), Alan (OPG134) and Mohammed (LAE734). I have reason to believe the names and ID numbers are all fictitious b-c you could never track anyone down again once you hung up from them. Since nobody would help me and since this was the worst customer experience I have ever had, I told the last person I spoke with to cancel my credit card once and for all. But I am not done. I demanded credit for $269.20 for charges I did not make, and I wanted a letter of apology for the way I was treated from every person that transferred me and threw me back in Q. I intend on exposing Capital One and telling my story to as many people as possible and to shed light on the corrupt behavior of Capital One in an effort that it lessens the number of victims in the future.

A letter to the Comptroller of the Currency Administrator of National Banks at 1301 McKinney St Suite 3450 Houston, Texas 77010 quickly helped resolve my issue. I was issued a credit from Capital One.