Menu
Capital One
reviews & complaints

Capital One
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

732 complaints
172 resolved 560 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Capital One. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
R
11:20 am

Capital One - unwanted mail. unauthorised collection of my name and address details

I am fed up receiving junk mail from companies whose products I do not need. I didn't give them my name and address so they have 'bought' it from another company, or possibly stolen it. When I went to their web page to tell them to delete my details from their database I find that there is no email address, only phone numbers and addresses. I was going to post their application form back to them and tell them, in garage language, where to go. Instead, I type in 'Capital One A**holes' and read about a person getting a lot of hassle from Capital One. I find this Complaints Board procedure at the top of the page and decide to see if it's worth the bother

V
7:01 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

hello.a month ago I started receiving statements that my account was 120 days past due...the problem is I don't have an a capital one credit card.i looked into indentity theft but realized capital one is the one commiting fraud.i asked for proof that I opened the account and they sent me an old application from when I had there card 5 years ago.they just changed the dates, anyone else having this problem?

Q
10:09 pm

Capital One - banking protection from illegal charges

I have run a small business and i have a business account with capital one. On jun 4 i saw a unauthorized debit of usd 530. 18 to my account which was done on jun 2. I contacted capital one and filed a complaint about the unauthorized charge. The agent filed my claim and was advise that i should be hearing from them. Today jun 10 i received a mail from the bank saying that they deny my claim because i did not report within the time frame required. I was shocked. I reported within 2 days of the incident. I called the bank and the agent said capital one policy for business account is within 24 hours only. The agent mentioned over 20 times the same sentence when i try to justify what about the business owner's protection com ? She just wanted to brush me off with the same note. I was persistent and eventually i was transferred to supposedly a manager to lodge my complain. Meanwhile as i was waiting for the manager to come online (Which he did after 10 mins) i placed a call to chase business banking section. I asked them their policy and the agent checked and advise chase allows max 60 days to client to dispute the charge or debit to their account. Same was conveyed to the agent that came on line eventually. Again complained was raised. Explained the whole 9 yards. Now i am given another complain number to follow up. My point is in today's world of cyber hacking and theft how will 24 hours protect us ? Only 24 hours protection is totally not acceptable. Capital one does not want small business owner to bank with them ?

1 comment
Jun 11, 2015 7:23 am

The dispute policy was made perfectly clear to you when you created your account. If you found it not acceptable then, why did you create it and not go to a bank with a policy more to your liking?

W
3:55 pm

Capital One - hard inquiry on my credit bureau

Trying to get my credit score to increase so I would be eligible to apply for a VA loan, I took the advise given to me on Credit Karma's website. They advised applying for a credit card through Capital One. Capital One had a big picture on yahoo, and still does stating the following: "FIND YOUR MATCH NO CATCH" See cards you may be eligible for, in under a minute WITHOUT affecting your credit score. There site once I clicked onto it says the following: See if your pre-qualified for a card in less than 60 seconds. Their 3 subtitles say: 1) see offers in less than a minute 2) There's NO HARM to your credit score 3) it's fast, secure, and easy. Because I was advised via Credit Karma to apply for this card "WITHOUT AFFECTING MY CREDIT SCORE AND NO HARD INQUIRES, I did apply and was denied. Next day I checked my credit score as I had an alert from Credit Karma and there was a HARD inquiry made from Capital One. My credit score dropped from high 570's down to 529. Had I known this was going to be a hard inquiry, I would have NEVER visited this site or apply. I on the same day got a secure credit card from my own insurance company USAA. My credit score is now 596. Had that hard inquiry not have been made, I could potentially been eligible for my VA loan. I feel this was a way for Credit Karma to pair up with Capital One where both make money from the less fortunate. Credit Karma sends you to Capital One, if approved Capital One wins, so does Credit Karma, if your denied, then Credit Karma keeps you coming back for more scams and suggestions. I want this inquiry removed immediately from all my credit bureaus. I have a copy of the ads that were posted. Sad to scam folks trying to repair their credit by deceit.

12:35 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

So their services flag fraudulent charges on my credit card and I call them. The worker in the fraud department says all charges will be removed and a new card will be issued. Splendid, unfortunately that information was a lie. One of the charges was pending so it took a day or two to post. Instead of that charge being removed it stayed on the account an...

10:31 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I opened a Capital One credit card through Guitar center for a little but of fun in August. Small credit line and tiny monthly payments made this indulgent purchase palatable for the wife. All is fine and I register online for automatic payments, however I change banks midway through September and forget to update this banking information on Capital One...

D
4:05 pm

Capital One - mysterious account

I recieved a collection notice from protfolio recovery for a credit card company capital one bank, for $728.00.This isn't account Ive been aware of. Although some years ago I was a victim of fraudulent activities, in which I filed a police report. Mysterious accounts from time to time. Ive gone through a great ordeal behind all of this. As a disabled woman I don't have the means to right any wrongdoing I just know that I didnt personally open account with them years ago. At this time I do not have a police report on this fraudulent activities it was some years ago but its possible its on public records but in my condition its difficult to obtain these as mobility is one on my handicap. Im disputing this account. Thank you.

Update by Dedra Williams
Nov 18, 2014 4:23 pm

Police report.against a coworker at that time Kaye stegale in 1993 has been filed and I had a lawyer Richard Pizzo who also was aware of this matter and he addressed this issue as well as a accident I endured in late 1999 as I became a victim again by another coworker Ladonna Clark. Postmaster had to supple information to Southwestern bell to resolve a bill for a residents I never lived at but that coworker indenty theif had a phone number under my name with a bill of 500.00. From 1993 til mid 2000's I was made aware I was a victim of many different disputes which where resolved at that time.

5 comments
Sep 14, 2011 8:45 pm

I do mostly online banking for bill payment. on 07/13/2010 I posted 4 bills . I got the confirmation as i always
get. but next bill I was surprised to see the late fee on those bill that I sent . I rushed to my bank to solve the issue.
they couldn't help me…just apologized …that's all.. I reckon this free checking bank it crap… I should take my business elsewhere…

Sep 18, 2009 8:03 am

I have a health care loan with Capital one, I have been trying to get them to re-finance the loan so I can have lower payments. I have been having financial problems and need lower payments. My hours at work have been cut. I can't afford the payment right as it currently is. As a result, I have gotten behind in my payments.

Please help

Dec 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Worst bank ever. tried to close out acct got runaround & supposedly mailed check on 5/3/11...still waiting. don't think cks in the mail!

changed names of the previous bank did not inform me that they where changing there guidelines about using your atm/debit cards allowed my account to overdraft without updating my account information cause my account to go into overdraft and is still adding charges torwards the account.

B
Feb 23, 2010 4:34 am

Hey there shoppers. Want to compare notes as to which CREDIT CARD ISSUER SUCKS THE MOST? F&^$$^*%#ING CAPITAL ONE JUST TRIPLED THEIR RATE (4.9% - 15.9%)BECAUSE THE F^%&^^%#ING CAN. What's in your wallet?

1:35 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Capital One - The worst bank ever.

In april 2014 I opened a account on capital one, they gave me a platinum master card, and a credit line of $500, after I made a deposit of $200, and paid the fee of $19, I thought it was a credit card and thats why I got it, but they never let me use more than the money I deposited on this account, and every months they charged me a higher fee, so I feel like I just lost money with it, even after I closed this account they still make me pay for $81 dollar, which I just paid cuss I don't want things to get worse, I am trying to build up some credit and can't have them messing up with it. But I am very unhappy with capital one, I fell like they only use people like me to take vantage of, and will keep doing it unless something is done about it.

2 comments
A
Jan 11, 2008 12:00 am

I can't get a live person to speak with at customer service ,this is terrible what number do I call to speak with a live person Thank You

I was charge for $95.00 for checkcard 1012 FACEBK *X9puy4n3t2 www.fb.me/cc

6:09 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I received a letter from Capitol One stating they were holding $3, 000.00 from a acquired bank I once had and listing a phone number that is a recording. I can't seem to get any answers from them and they never turned it over to the state as required by law. Something smells really bad at Capitol One, , , , What's in your wallet?

11:35 am

Capital One - will not return initial deposit

In September 2007 I opened a $300 secured credit card account with HSBC's Orchard Bank My personal Bank at the time was Wachovia and as far as I remember I transferred the money from my checking account to Orchard Bank to open the secured line of credit. Recently I decided that I no longer needed this card and contacted Capital One for a refund. In the years since 2007, Orchard Bank was taken over by Capital One and Wachovia was taken over by Wells Fargo. Neither institutions have any records that I can access that show how my original secured credit card account was opened. When the credit card account was transferred to Capital One is was transferred as an "unsecured" credit card & Wells Fargo cannot access my records of 2007 (?) I finally got through to someone at Capital One who assured me that my concerns would be dealt with in 5-7 business days - that was over 2 weeks ago and despite repeated calls I cannot get anyone to give me the information of how this account was originally opened. Now I may be mistaken, maybe I sent them a money order or a bank check but they should have some information available to a customer of 7 years! I know the account was opened as "secured credit card" because I was totally unable to get an "unsecured credit card" at the time. Basically they ripped me off for $300 and refuse to contact me with any information. Just another way the banking industry is ripping apart our economy - stay away from Capital One!

C
10:15 am

Capital One - data breach by capital one employee

Capital One bought HSBC. I had an account with them so I received several letters in regard to this. One of them advised that I would be able to link the HSBC account to the Capital One account. When the time came to do this, they wouldn't allow it because I had closed the HSBC account. I can no longer make payments or do anything online in regard to the HSBC account even though it's now with Capital One. I closed my HSBC account myself. This is now their reason for not allowing me to link it. I actually had to call Capital One to make a payment. The employee then took it upon herself to access my Capital One account without my permission. She was reading information from my account to me. I told her that what she had done was wrong because I didn't give permission to access that account. I then spoke to a supervisor who pretty much ignored my complaint about what the employee had done. All he cared about was getting a payment. I called directly to their corporate headquarters this morning and basically got the same information. They didn't care that the employee had breached my account without my permission. They only want their money.

A
5:33 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

The Capital One facility in Plano is intentionally abusing the H1B Visa system. They have approximately 70% of their intellectual-educated workforce composed of all H1B Visa workers. It is statistically impossible for C1 to post jobs and only be able to find foreign workers for them. What is really going on? They are actively falsifying H1B Visa...

11:20 pm

Capital One - short line long wait

While the bankers are all real nice and helpful there is no reason that with 4 tellers behind the counter i had to wait 45 minutes to deposit a check...there were 3 people in front of.me. ive opened accounts at other banks quicker than that...they take the quick out of a quick stop at the bank. Now i dont go to the bank unless im free all day

K
3:31 pm

Capital One - false sales receipt

A few month ago I notice a charge of $64 on my credit card which was not mine.
The alleged purchase was made at a shop which I had never set foot in in my life before.
I disputed the charge and capital one send me a letter which had what appeared to be a photo-copy of the sales receipt on it... And a signature which did not look like mine.
Capital one claimed, that I indeed made this purchase and they had the proof... Right on this piece of paper they send me... Dispute denied.
I wen to the store (Krogers here in houston) and the manager (A lady) told me a few things I did not had realized.
The apparently copy of the sales receipt on the letter from capital one was a fake.
A fake done by capital one, because 1) the kroger's logo was an old one. 2) the street address of the shop was mis-spelled 3) the tear-off line of the sales receipt looked very artificial. 4) the sales receipt is never scanned. This is a 100% electronic transaction.
With other words, capital one generated an artificial sales receipt.
After talking to the capital one investigator (Who did not admit to anything I said above), the charges on my credit card were finally dropped.
I will never know what really happened.
He said, that someone made a copy of my credit card... Maybe... I got a new card, just to be sure.
My advice:
# like hell if the truth is on your side. You have to spend a lot more sweat and tears than $65, but I will make a stink for a nickel.
The credit card company will not make it easy for you to dispute a charge.

2:44 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I made a purchase online with Amazon.com and sadly my payment was declined. As I looked over my Amazon payment method account information, I noticed that my bank account number was of a number I never had, causing this decline. But as my payment was declined, the money to cover these purchases was stilll extracted from my account, one even stated as a...

5:44 pm

Capital One - scammed into paying off balance early

I have a platinum capital one card I wanted to use to rent a car because it provided insurance saving me $20 a day with the rental agency. At the airport while out of town I called the credit card company to pay down my balance enough in order to have the funds for the rental transaction. I was told the only way for it to go through immediately was to pay western union or moneygram and call them back with the transaction number, all other methods would be the next day. I was fine with this and found an airport terminal with a western union where I set up this transaction paying over $400. I called back with the number for it to go through to be told it would not go through for two more days. My account had been over balance for 28 days which could not be released. So the lie by the first agency was in order to trick me into paying off my entire balance when I could have just paid them $80 as my regular payment. They tricked me into spending all of my travel money on the card that was not unavailable to me. Also I had to pay for the rental car agencies scam insurance (i don't own a car and have private insurance) this cost me another $20 a day for the length of my trip adding up to another 200. I can't split the rental into different transactions and it must go on that scam of a card with capital one in order to get the insurance. The agents the second time around told me first it would be available tomorrow then realized they were again correct and it would be available in a few more days because of the cut off time and weekend. In response to stealing $600 dollars from me and ruining my vacation they gave me a $35 credit. If I had not been lied to in the first call I would have just had to pay the expensive insurance and be done with it. Now I have paid off a credit card and paid for the expensive insurance because they are scam artists.

L
6:37 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Legal Helpers, LLC, a Debt Resolution Company, negotiated for my wife and me on December 23, 2011 with Northland Group, Inc, (Minnesota), a collection agency, in behalf of Capital One. It was agreed between Northland Group, Inc. and my wife and me, that we would pay a settlement of $6, 084.69 on our credit card account with Capital One. The amount would be...

O
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On August 29th, 2012 Homeowner retained Amerif Mortgage and Associates to help her with the loan modification paperwork and process. Throughout the process it was extremely difficult to get in contact with the assigned Point of Contact to confirm receipt of documents, receive status updates, etc. After many internal complaints on our part as the Authorized...

11:26 pm

Capital One - tv-commercial

Dear Gentlemen,
Your commercials featuring Vikings I find to be one of the best commercials on TV. However when watching tonight 2-11-13 your Viking commercial was featured with Alex Baldwin. In my opinion that was a mistake on your part. First of all your Viking commercials DO NOT NEED A CELEBERITY especially Alex Baldwin to start with. Each and every time I see this commercial I will promptly change the channel as I'm sure many others will do the same. Bottom line, Dump your commercial featuring Alex Baldwin and any other celebs you might be thinking about adding. Bottom line: If it's not broken. don't try and fix it. Stay with what you have been doing,

John,
Texas

3 comments
F
Aug 23, 2011 2:27 am

I am receiving multiple calls a day from Capitol One and I don't have a account with them nor have I ever! I asked them to stop calling about a month ago and I still get calls daily. It was said it would take 72 hours which hasn't happened. Them they call from different numbers repeatedly. some numbers they use are [protected], [protected], [protected], [protected].

K
May 19, 2009 8:46 pm

I just got off the phone with Capitol One and I was out of work and called in Jan if there was anything to help me out with. Nope.
They closed my acct because I told them I was out of work, then in the mail today My Apr went from 8.9% to 23%. That was great to kick someone when they are down.

I will never use Capitol One again. Hey Capitol One guess what is not in my wallet ever again!

Sep 11, 2008 6:41 am

We've been customers since 1999. This year they have chnaged our credit card number 3 time. Once without notice, once after agreeing NOT to. This has caused payments to be misdirected resulting in penalties.

Then they put a HOLD on the account because my payment was TOO large. This caused my card to be declined.

No one ever will take responsibility just puts me on hold until I have to hang up.

8:51 pm

Capital One - id verification

WOW! I wish I would've read this complaints board before I opened up my account. I moved out to phoenix temporarily when I was unemployed hoping to get a job out there, mind you I closed my regular bank account and didn't make a change of address request because I was unsure if I would get the job in phoenix or not. If I got it I would make the change of address. So i signed up for a capital one prepaid back in august while I was over there and had them send it out to my friends house that I was staying at. I never got the job and was only in phoenix for no more than 3 weeks. So I came back home. Never used the card. Got a job and everything in el paso and was using another prepaid card but that had limited funds allowed per day for direct deposit, and I had my student financial aid getting refunded, so I checked on the capital one card to see how much they allow per direct deposit and was happy to see they allow $7500. so I switched my info with my school so they could direct deposit the refund to the capital one prepaid...lo and behold...it goes through but when trying to access my card online it says in red "that i need to call customer service"...I called and was informed that my account was frozen due to needing to verify my address. I explained to them that when I first got my card i had just moved to phoenix and received the card in phoenix and was not a tenant but living with a friend until I got a job that I was offered, job fell through and I moved back to el paso. So I had them change my address in their system to show my current address and I sent them a copy of my drivers license, a copy of their stupid prepaid card and two pay check stubs on tuesday. The next day they say it is not sufficient info and still need me to send in my ssn...so I did and even sent in a copy of my birth certificate just to be a jack ###. I call them to see if everything is ok and if they could finally release my account, they tell me no, that they still wanted a utility bill or my vehicle registration that showed my address. After fighting with them and calling them every name in the book, I finally got a manager that told me the truth, they basically wanted proof of address from my phoenix location (which I have nothing to help prove that since I wasn't living there long enough to change my address) and that it would take 3-5 business days to view my info i already sent them. and they don't count the day you send it to them, it takes effect the next day. And he told me it wasn't even a guarantee after those 3-5 business days that my account would be unfrozen because they were still going to need proof of my address in phoenix. Who does that?!?!?! I am proving my current address right now! I sent everything they asked and yet after every call I still felt like none of my questions where answered. All i kept getting was "we're sorry, we completely understand your frustration"...SHUT UP! NO YOU DON"T! how would you like it if you gave me your $3000 check and I didn't let you access it unless you verified a address that you don't live at anymore and don't have proof of it, but have proof of a new address?!?!?!? I hate when they try to make you feel like they are sorry and doing everything they can, when in reality they could care less about you. Now my rent is due, Im late paying my school which I could get dropped out of because of this. It has been a 3 day nightmare and all could've been avoided had I read this earlier. And why do they wait til they have my money to decide to let me know they are going to freeze my account, wait i take that back, they didn't tell me, i had to find out on my own, luckily i didnt go out and try to purchase anything so i saved the embarrasment their. Luckily i talked to my school and they are going to do a stop check payment and issue me my refund via paper check. If you are thinking about getting this card...DON"T! if you already have this card, DON"T LOAD ANY FUNDS! If you got screwed already by capital one...I FEEL YOUR PAIN!...its not surprising they are "stopping their prepaid accounts" as of march 1st. GOOD RIDDANCE CAPITAL ONE! never again! ugh im so livid

1 comment
N
Jun 14, 2011 6:58 pm

We ordered a card then ordered one for a secondary card holder. it is a prepaid card so we didnt think getting one and loading our funds would b a problem. i had my tax return deposited on card then was notified my card was on hopld to verify id i sent in what i had at my address since i do not own the place nor do i hav rental ins or lights in my name these being the only documents they wanted they still have not reliesed the card. i sent in id and ss card which shows every detail of me who oprdered the card now i am trying to get my 1800 $ back. which by the way came to them beqaring the same name and ss num thats on the account and my id.

Capital One contacts