Having problems with Capital One?

1800 481 3239 (USA and Canada)
+1 877 383 4802 (General Customer Service)
+1 800 227 4825 (Credit Card Accounts)
+1 800 867 0904 (Small Business Banking Products)
+1 888 810 4013 (Capital One Bank Products)
+1 800 289 1992 (Capital One 360 Products)
+1 800 946 0332 (Auto Financing)
+1 877 464 2151 (Home Loans)
+1 866 435 6299 (Home Equity)
+1 800 926 1000 (Personal Loan)
+1 855 780 5047 (Investing Products)
+44 800 952 5267 (United Kingdom)
+44 344 481 4814 (United Kingdom)
15000 Capital One Dr.

P.O. Box 1000, Camberley, GU15 3ZQ

Complaints & Reviews

late fee charges

Sir, Madam,

On February 17, 2009, I contavted Capital one Bank to have my membership waived .I was asked to pay and that I have a late fee added to my membership.

I mentiooned them that i did not activate my credit card because I refuse to pay .

I ask him that in this case I am closing my credit card account.

The gentleman insisted that I have to pay anyway. I mentionned that they were advertising ther product with no fee.

On March I receive a statment showing that my membership was waived but I 've to pay the late fee.

I don't understand why I've to pay late fee for a waived membership.

I do not know where to turn for help specially after receiving a statment showing that I have to pay $15.00 more for late fee.

The total amount now is $30.47 ( $15.00 for the late fee for my waived membership+$15.00 for late fee for the first non payed late fee.

I will appreciate your help for this matter .

Mohamed Damdami

credt card account # ####

• St
    Steve Oct 14, 2008

I was charged the Payment Protection Plan, when I never agreed to sign up for it. I called in on Sept. 13th 2008 to speak to a representative and they kept insisting that I agreed. I have been paying for a feature which I never wanted, and this was only brought to my attention because I went over the limit on my last statement, even though I sent in my payment.

• Bo
    boo7james Jan 11, 2009

Last Saturday--1.3.09--I called CapitalOne regarding letter sent that said their team was ready to offer options for improving the existing my account with a personal guarantee to:
    --earn more miles or points or cash rewards than currently earned
    --improve other features of account
    --lower the APR
    I spoke to Maria to explain to me if I were able to lower my APR--then what would it be? She refused to answer. I asked for a supervisor and Maria hung up on me. She called back and put me in touch with a supervisor who also refused to answer my question. She also terminated the call. I still don't hve the answer to my questions because when CapitalOne doesn't want to answer--they just hang up. I pay an annual fee for this service which I will not do anymore. CapitalOne does not participate in giving out information regarding your payment history either.

• Cr
    Craig Cimmino Mar 05, 2009

I closed my CapitalOne credit card 3 years ago. Every year i get a bill for my membership fee of $39. Every year I call and tell them I don't owe them money because I've already canceled the card. Every year they tell me they didn't close the card because there is a dispute on charges. The dispute in charges they are referring to is me protesting paying the membership fee from the year before. This is a seemingly endless annual cycle.

• Ji
    jim May 03, 2009

I have tried for fifteen years - 15 years - to be rid of Capitol One - with no success. Every late fee payment means another late fee - regardless of how quickly the last late fee is paid.

I used my card three times in 1994 for a grand total of $125. Over the course of nine months I paid over $500 - nearly all in late fees.

Today, in 2009 - my phone rings no fewer than four times a day from a collection agency that wants to collect on unpaid late fees dating over 15 years. This is despite the account being paid in full - over and over again - and despite no correspondance from Capitol One - save applications for new credit card accounts - in over 10 years.

This is an out of control company that seeks profits from extortion, lies, and deciet.

• Mo
    Moonie5353 Jun 18, 2009

They will Harass you and charge you for it.My Lawyer told me not to answer the phone and in time they will give up.But he didn't say how much time, LOL. They filed a small claims case for 4 times the amount of my card limit and I agreed to pay them five dollars a month, and I will, at least until I move and leave no forwarding address.

• Lu
    Lucab May 30, 2012

I asked to close the card, i had to speak with 3 reps but finally i did it.

3 weekslater i discovered it was not yet closed ! I did the whole nasty procedure again
    And now they need 2 months to send back my secure deposit

relentless call center on day of husbands funeral

While my husband lay dying, Capital One took 2 payments rather than 1 out of my account and would not return it... they caused my account to be 600.00 over drawn!!!

And the day of the funeral they hounded me for money after I said he was DEAD and it was the day of the funeral... I would talk to them the next day... NO they just kept hounding me in front of my family. I finally hung up on them. They are relentless on their calling and I have had a loan with them for almost 5 years!!!

Do not ever do a payment over the phone.. they will get it wrong

And after making arrangements, I had a funeral back in the state we are from originally and they did it that day as well!!! in front of relatives again... I was appalled at thier treatment of a customer they are making thousands of dollars off of at a time like that

Infurated in Tempe

• Ke
    Kelly Apr 17, 2009

My husband cancelled a Capital One Visa card because they did the same thing the day of his mother's wake. Our payment was received two days after whatever cut off they wanted it by. You have a grace period and this arrived the day after that. It was an account in good standing not a bit overlimit or in trouble. He must have forgot to throw the made out envelope in the mail for a couple of days because he was sleeping in the ICU lobby for a few days. They called the day of his mom's wake and when he asked them to either wait for the check in the mail or let him pay them by phone the next day, he could not handle this now he was at his mother's wake, they had the nerve to tell him his Capital One Mastercard payment had arrived, but it was one day over the deadline too, and that he would be reported to the credit bureaus etc. etc. unless he made immediate telephone payment by phone today etc. etc. He walked out of the wake for a moment to scream at these people in the hallway...They are explotative and non-human.Kelly

• Di
    disgusted customer Aug 28, 2009

They did the same thing to us at both my mother's and our grandbabies funeral. Telling them you are at a funeral does NO good. I hung up on them and within the 3 hours or so for the grandbabies funeral and the meal afterward they called me 14 times!!! i kept hanging up cause I was too upset to talk(the baby was 9 1/2 months old). Finally my husband just shut the phone off and boy did they let us know about it later. Saddest part is, we had made the payment and they had lost it.

currency conversion fees

Capital One claims to not apply any fees to currency conversion when using their credit card for...

illegal treatment of mititary forces

My Son Vincent Anthony Martone has a credit card with Capital One.
> Vincent joined the Marines to serve his country on January 20th, and
> since that time has been at the US Marine Corp. Training Center at
> Paris Island South Carolina. During the time that a recruit is in
> training with the Marines, he does not have access to his mail,
> checking accounts...nor does he have the ability to pay his bills.
> Before He left for Paris Island he mailed out a Government form that
> informed your company that it is illegal to charge late fees and
> interest to recruits while they are in boot camp and that his account
> should be frozen until he had completed his training. Since then Capital One
> added over $250 in Interest and late charges to my sons account,
> and sent him to collection. We tried to communicate and explain to
> the customer services representative ( now that is real joke,
> because these people do not have the slightest idea of what customer
> service is all about), to no avail. I was just on the phone with the
> so called customer service department, and after being bounced around
> like a ping pong ball for 30 minutes I asked to speak to a supervisor.
> I offered on a number of occasions to pay my son's balance as it stood
> at the end of January before all the late fees and interest charges were tacked on, and he informed me that he could not approve that.
> He indicated I would have to pay the full amount, and had the nerve to
> lecture me that my son had a responsibility to pay his bills on time.
> I informed him once again that my son could not pay his bill that he
> was in a Marine Corps Boot Camp and had no access to the outside world
> until he graduated, and that what Capital One was doing was illegal.
> I asked him if he was ashamed of taking advantage of a 19 year old,
> who had decided to serve his country. And his answer to me was, and I quote:
> " I really don't care, you are talking to Capital One's service area
> in Canada, he's not serving my country"

This company should be put out of business.

• Do
    doitnow1200 Nov 18, 2009

WOW!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!!!

that's so terrible. i'm proud of your son. he deserves a pat on the back and a big hug, not late fees and ignorant canadians.

tell him thank you :)

payment protection

NEVER get the Capital One Payment Protection Plan. Although they take money out of your credit card each...

collection calls

Capital One is so out of control they are truly becoming comic! First they called at 9:53pm (a major no-no), then they call like every 30 minutes and fail to leave voice mail messages. I email them after every call they make and they fail to respond to any of my attempts to contact them. I have filed a complaint with the FTC against them (I somehow doubt that I am alone here).

Interested to know if there is anything that I/we can do to harass them like they harass us!

annie712 Feb 19, 2010

Oh yes. I spoke with a rep last week. I told them I was doing my best to catch up on my payments. I am sending them over $100 a month, but due to the fact that I got behind in the first place (due to financial problems), they are charging me a $35 fee for being behind in payments and then interest of $29, I am barely making a dent. This very nasty rep told me that didn't matter that I was still 3 payments (totaling $330) and that if I didn't pay it today they would send it to collection. A few months ago I spoke with a very very nice rep that told me if I continued to send in $92 a month I would be caught up in about 6 months and that would be fine. She also told me the late charges would be waived hence it would catch me up. When I tried to explain this to the rep last week, she basically called me a liar saying she had no record of it. I told her to go ahead and send it to collections because there is nothing more I can do then what I am doing now. She said "Well, whatever." Instead of her threatening me, why didn't she ask me if there was something she could do to work with me? I was a customer service rep for many years. If I had treated a customer like this, I would have been fired. Our company treated customers with respect and caring. Apparently these reps are NOT on the same page. I am done worrying about this.

annie712 Feb 19, 2010

By the way, I failed to add to my last post. Capital One is calling me 8-10 times a day.

• Br
    brabbit Feb 25, 2010

my God, Capital One calls my house every hour and a half, starting about 8:00 am and ending about 9:00 pm, even all day on Sundays. I am in a situation that I am sending them money every month to catch up on a past due credit card (I was behind 3 months due to an unseen financial problem emergency) I can't pay them any more than I am right now until the spring and I am caught up on my heating bill ($600.00 this month!) They keep leaving me the same pre-recorded message several times a day from Karen asking me to call regarding an important business matter. How do I get the phone calls to stop! It is 6-10x a day, every day! I am paying as much as I can!

• Ra
    Raulene Leedy May 23, 2011

Everything these people are saying is true! Capitol One is relentless! They keep calling and harrassing me! Ihey racked up just sent them $160 three weeks ago and now another $130 and they keep calling me. I have sent them $80 a month and they keep insisting that I am late!!! They keep racking late charges and that is how I got behind in the first place. I did not receive a statement one month and I paid my $80 they came back saying that was not enough even though I paid that amount routinely and did not even acquire new charges! They racked up late charges and now they keep calling me. The harrassment is unbelievable!!! I have told them not to keep calling and that any thing they had to say needed to be in writing!! I do not answer their calls and refuse to do business with them anymore!!! The worst company I have ever dealt with!

overcharged

As with many other people (as can be seen on this website and others), I too received a mailing, very generic...

billing mistake

Received several calls regarding a bill in my son's name notified Capital One Bank that there is an error. I have called Bank One many, many, many times and told them My son is a minor (no credit cards in his name). Advised me they had made the necessary corrections, recived notification from GLOBAL Credit Collection Corp, that Capital One has turned the account over to them for collection. Notified Global but of course they are not interested in correcting the matter.
I have contacted the Credit Agencies (3) of fraud.

fraud committed by merchant and credit card company

While vacationing in Turkey I bought a carpet from Gordes Carpet. Purchased a cashmere on wool carpet. Used my Capital One charge card to pay for carpet. Carpet was switched in store by merchant and a different carpet was deliberatelly wrapped and given to me to take home. When going thru security in Munich, Germany I realized the carpet was switched because I had to show what was in the package. I notified Captial One on 27 October 2008. Gordes Carpet put thru two charges. I informed Captial One of the switch and the scam and told them not to honor the first nor the second charge. I was told nothing could be done for three more days and to call back. Of course on day three I called and was put on hold several times. I called back two days later and told my complaint would be put thru dlispute resolution. I questioned how they could evern honor the second charge when I was home in the United States when the second charge was put thru? I was told they could do nothing. I would have to take the carpet back. That was impossible and I would not chance sending the carpet thru the mail in case Gordes would lie and say the carpet was not received. During the dispute phase Gordes lied saying I changed my mind, the carpet was wrapped in front of me and that I had the carpet I wanted in the store. I was convinced that Capital One was more concerned for the merchant and didn't care if a scam was being committed. Capital One does not represent their customers. When ever I was able to talk to the dispute department I always spoke to someone from India who I could not understand and they didn't have a clue as to what my complaint was about. One even suggested I fly back to Turkey to return the carpet. Another suggested getting a second opinion for another carpet dealer which I did. The appraisor confirmed this was not a cashmere on wool carpet. It didn't matter Capital One honored the fraud on behalf of Gordes. Never use Capital One, nerver buy anything from Gordes Carpet and run in the opposite direction if a quide called Oz, a representative from Lewis cruise line wants to show you were to buy carpets. You will be cheated!!!

• Go
    GORDES CARPETS Aug 28, 2012

Dear Manager of the www.complaintsboard.com,
    The above mentioned comment is totally unreal.
    We want to know the personal information of the writer in order to sue to save our rights and also we ask you kindly to delete this comment if not please be informed that we may use our legal right to sue you too.
    Regards,
    GORDES CARPETS

online banking / nsf check

I was with Hibernia National Bank for 8 years before they sold out to Capital One.
WHAT A NIGHTMARE.
In my eight years before, through times with up to a million dollars or more on deposit down to below $200 I almost never had customer service problems. If I did, the problems were quickly and efficiently taken care of.
Now, I routinely have "Transaction Returned" listed on my online statement with no explanation as to the transaction at all. No amount, no check number, no nothing. When I submitted an online inquiry, I was told that they didn't know what the transaction was. When I inquired further, I was directed to call my local branch. The number they provided to do that went to someone's home phone. The service is so bad it borders on unbelievable.
Once I finish this quarter of business, I will find somewhere else to bank. They took a great mid-size local bank from a 9 - 10 customer service rating to a 2 or less.

• Da
    Dan Hart Mar 09, 2009

They would much rather serve the illegal immigrants and those who do not speak english. Bank of America should be forced to change their name...

Angelo_Frank Mar 17, 2009

Capital One can't even keep their online banking site operational. Is this another case where they will be down for a week at a time? What a bunch of incompetents. Of course their executives will get bonuses for failure just like AIG.

• Pa
    pamela Mar 24, 2009

Capital One is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. I am a small business owner that isn't getting a bailout from the tax payers. I was forced to close my business accounts because they were returning my checks and charging unbelievable fees for the privalidge of being my bank. In December, we only took in credit cards for payment (we had Capital One credit card processing) and I had to make payroll. The credit card payments had not credited to our bank account yet and they would not okay the payroll checks. My son went to the local branch to cash his check with the branch mgr. to okay the check and was told that I needed to find another bank because they would not help us anymore. i found another bank who wanted our business and closed all the Capital One accounts. yesterday I received a letter from the credit card retention department charging us 891.00 for early termination of our account. I called the number on the letter and was told I would have to pay 305.00 in fees. They took our bailout money and they are unwilling to help any of their customers. I hope all their customers close accounts and this bank goes under.

• Jj
    jjmcgee May 13, 2009

Oh please. It honestly doesn't have ANY information about the returned amount? And you have no idea why the transaction was returned? It may have something to do with you not having enough for it to get paid. For example, if you make a large deposit and it is put on hold (something that is federally regulated, not by the bank itself) and a check comes through, it will be returned. And you will be charged a non-sufficient funds fee b/c you had insufficient funds at the time. It's your responsibility to make sure your deposit is completely posted and you have enough to cover your checks. So if you're pissed at anyone, it should be yourself, because it is not bank error.

• Tr
    TrueHeart0130 Mar 21, 2010

Please, remove it from credit bureau
    Thanks!

• Ba
    BANK DRAMA Mar 24, 2010

I REQUESTED A NEW CHECKING ACCOUNT NUMBER...THEY TRANSFER THE FUNDS OF 1, 853...I ASKED AT LEAST 16 TIMES ARE YOU SURE THAT'S THE BALANCE I'M NOT SURE IT IS...THE BRANCH MANAGERS RESPONDS NO NO THAT'S THE BALANCE...I PROCEED TO PAY 2 BILLS BY CHECK...

THEY CALL ME 6 DAYS LATER TO SAY GET TO OUR OFFICE RIGHT AWAY!!! THAT WAS NOT THE RIGHT AMOUNT!!!...THEY NOW HAVE CAUSED ME TO BOUNCE YET WILL NO TAKE RESPONSIBLITY FOR THE ERROR..

I REQUESTED A NEW CHECKING ACCOUNT NUMBER BECAUSE THERE WERE 2 DEDUCTIONS I DID NOT AUTHORIZE..THEY WERE SNOTTY IN TELLING ME I HAD $1853 IN THE ACCOUNT...AND SNOTTY IN NOT TAKING RESPONSIBLITY FOR THE AMOUNT ERROR..I USUALLY KNOW WHAT MY AMOUNTS ARE, BECAUSE OF THE UNAUTHORIZED DEDUCTIONS I WAS NOT CLEAR ON MY CHECKING ACCOUNT BALANCE...AGAIN BECAUSE OF THEIR ERROR THEY CAUSED ME TO BOUNCE...

THE 176 BROADWAY BRANCH IN NY IS THE WORST.

• Je
    Jen of Woodbridge Sep 27, 2010

I was with Chevy Chase Bank for years and their online banking website was extremely well designed. Now I have been forced to switch to Capital One and they have the worst online banking website that I have ever seen. It is hard to believe that in 2010 this is the best they have to offer. All I can see when I go to pay my bill is what account I am paying it out of, as if many people have more than one account. I think to list the account one time is sufficient, but they list it besides each payee. You cannot view the payee's address without clicking on the "edit" button. Only one month popups when you click on the calendar and if you want to see your previously paid bills, you have to go to another screen and then remember what the amounts are.

ripping consumer off

this credit card company does not want to help. I have not used my card in four months. They raised my limit...

auto loan scam

I took out a loan on a new 2007 Ford Focus and borrowed around $15, 000. Never late on a payment and the rate was reasonable. After a year I decided it was time to reduce my debt load and tried to pay off the loan. Tried being the operative word here. Called Capital One for the payoff and was told on 3 separate occaisons the payoff was $11.723.90. Went to my bank, sent Capital One a cashiers check for $11, 723.90 which was processed on 2/23/09 one day BEFORE the date Capital One said the payoff amount was good through. But NOOOOO! Now there is a mystery $50.52 in "additional principal" due. I had to use Western Union for an additional $13.95 to send in the additional $50.52 to "satisfy" the already paid off loan. The buyer of the vehicle is waiting for his lien release having paid cash for the vehicle. Capital One says it will take them another 72 hours to produce a lien release, even though they KNOW the loan has been satisfied.

Take it from someone who KNOWS. Captial One's auto finance rates look attractive to you. Think again. I will NEVER borrow from Capital One again. Ever. Whats in YOUR wallet? It ain't in mine.

• Wi
    Will Mar 19, 2009

I agree with Davy. I was consistent with payihg my loan to COF that I took over be-
    cause I co-sign for someone who lose there
    job. I asked them to refinance for me be-
    cause I'm retired and couldn't pay $471.00
    amonth. Even they got help Nov. 14th with
    $3, 555, 199.00. But still, they want bugg!
    Will.

fraudulent and unauthorized eft

My wife had 2 HSBC Orchard Bank credit cards designed with building our credit in mind. However, they have completely lost our business! My wife called the customer service number (which is an offshore outsourced call center) toward the end of January to switch our bank accounts. She also mentioned something about how she was going to make a payment online when she was able to. However, the agent took her comment and decided it would be a good idea to just debit our card instead of waiting for my wife to do it. Well, my wife made our online payment on 2/9/2009 and the call center also debited our card the next day. So there were two amounts of $414.37 taken out of our bank. My wife and I have a one year old baby and are both going to school. I am the only one who works and she stays at the apartment with our baby. We have very little money as it is and the double dip from Orchard bank made us overdraft severely in our bank. So the 2nd payment bounced from our bank and of course we were charged a $35 fee. Well, since that payment bounced, they went ahead and tried to debit it a 3rd time on 2/17/2009. This time we had 6 purchases that weren't paid and generated $210 worth of overdraft fees because of their incompetence. Our bank was great and said that as long as HSBC Orchard Bank will send them a document stating that they withdrew an unauthorized payment they would refund the fees. We spent 2 hours on the phone with Orchard Bank and they would not send the letter and would not admit fault. They stated that my wife on 1/31/2009 authorized the payment and that all calls are recorded but they are not able to listen to the calls because they are only for training purposes and not for their accountability. I told him that I was there on 1/31/2009 and heard my wife state that she was going to make an online payment instead and if he could provide a call proving otherwise I will leave them alone and not speak of it again. He again repeated that the calls are only used for training purposes and they could not pull a call. Orchard Bank has effectively stolen close to $700 directly from our bank account now and still does not show her full balance on my wife's credit card statement. Where did that money go? Also, as an aside, if my wife authorized a phone payment why would she go and make an online payment? Also, if the calls are recorded, why can't their own supervisors and managers listen to them? I've worked in call centers for 10 years and have been a supervisor in two of them. I pulled calls when there were discrepancies like this. I know they can do it. Why won't they? Also, how much competence is that on the side of the accountants for the company not to recognize that we had already made a payment? Do not! Do not! Do not be suckered by HSBC or Orchard Bank. They are crooks and their customer service is the worst!!!

unauthorized billing

Just received in the mail a notice that my credit card interest rate is being raised to 29.4% and I am never late on my payments. This is criminal that these Banks/Credit Card companies can do this to their good customers after they received Government Bailout Funds from the Taxpayers of America. I plan on paying this off, hard to immediately though cause I am unemployed, and canceling this card. I am sick of the Corporate Greed in this country and upset that the banks and credit card companies are GETTING AWAY WITH IT!!!

• Valerie Jul 22, 2008

I went over the limit by accident for the first time (someone put a charge on I wasn't expecting). I paid the minimum due over the phone which I thought was okay. I made no new charges. The next month I was over limit again because the finance charge was added to my balance, an over limit fee and a phone fee was added. I paid more than the minimum ($23.30 more).

I was over limit again the next month because the finance charge of $24.89 was added. Again, another $39.00 charge. If I pay the minimum due this month, I will again be over limit. I know this is morally not right, but is this legally right? I will pay way over the minimum due this month to get out of this cycle, but this makes me mad.

• Valerie Oct 31, 2008

Capitol One Credit Cards billings are manipulated and charged over the limit fees when accounts are not over the limit. The over the limit charge does however take you over the limit and hense another over the limit fee is then charged. This has been happening the past couple of months since I called asking the my interest rate be reduced. I was told it would be if I had no over the limit fees.

I have watched my statement carefully online and just checked the statement a couple of days ago and still had a small available balance. My credit limit is $5, 000. My balance now is $5, 021.76. It went over the $5, 000 limit when the $39.00 over the limit fee was charged on 10-25-08. Look at the balance and when the only recent charge was the $39.00 to see that my balance couldn't have been over the limit when my account was accessed the $39.00 fee.

I like other Americans are struggling to keep up. I try and make more than a minimum payment every month. These type of company practices are what has helped put this country and our economy in the state it's in. Why isn't something being down to stop them.

• Ke
    Keren Feb 09, 2009

I have a capital one master card.I made a over the phone payment so it wouldn't be late. I wanted to use my debit they said we can't do that you have to use a check.Which they charge $15 to do. So I gave the girl my check # and she wrote the wrong # down.A week later I get a letter saying this is an invalid account.So I call capital one back and tell them they wrote the wrong check # down.So they had me do it again don't they write the wrong # down again. A week later the fraud department calls me.She tells me to call her back tomorrow.I called 29 times left 6 messages and this lady will not call me back.Than shortly after that I get a letter in the mail from capital one saying they have been trying to reach me to take care of this which they haven't.So I call again get the voicemail leave yet another message begging her this time to return my call.She never did so I filed a report with the bbb. That $97 payment owed is now a $300 plus payment.

• Ad
    A. Davis Mar 21, 2009

That sounds like a change in terms. I would call Capital One to clarify what is changing before you get more upset. Also Capital One credit cards hasn't gotten any government money like other banks have. Capital One doesn't do mortgage loans like other banks so, there is no financial strain on them like a regular bank. Change in terms like the one your got are not credit risk associated, so no fear there of that being the reason for the increase. Also as bad as this sounds, your good payment history would not prevent a change in terms.

The right to change your terms is in your orginial terms as that annual fee most likely was. As far as the annual fee goes, sometimes it can be waived, but considering the economy and the fact that the fee pays for the mantainence of your account, it's unlikely you will have the fee waived this year. If you have ever had it waived before, you are fortunate and should look at the years you have had the account, take the fee amount and divide it by the times you have had the fee waived...then the overall cost of your card is very minimal.

If you have not opted out of the change in terms yet, I suggest calling Captial One to get clarification on the change before you opt out.

• Em
    emily Mar 30, 2009

29.4% is your new default rate, not your purchase APR. Read your letter again, or call in to have it clarified for you. I would hate to see you close your account over an APR you may never see (if you pay your monthly payments on time, etc...)

none123456789 Jun 12, 2011

you only go to 29.4 if you are late twice in 12 months.

auto loan

I purchased a car in April of 2007 a Mitsubishi Gallant with and got a 1200 dollar trade in value on the old...

Credit Card Interest

Capitol One Bank is raising my rate from 6% to 14%. Why? Their reasoning is because of "the economy". I have an excellent credit rating, and am not behind in any payments; so their real reason is greed -- or better said, Capitol One expects customers who pay their bills on time to "bail out" the bank's poor decisions. They recently unfolded a plan to "help" those in financial crisis by revising your debt. They make it sound like the "banks" are actually helping ... the fact is the "banks" are merely squeezing the consumer to re-coup their profits. We paid off the card, and cancelled it. I will never do business with Capitol One again!

• Re
    ReRe727 Feb 18, 2009

The only thing I would like to address is the "bail out." It is not actually such a thing. The "bail out" is in fact a loan, one that banks have to pay back, and with interest of at least 6%. So if the bank is borrowing at say 7%, does it make sense from a business standpoint to be charging customers less? Banks have to make a profit, or they dissolve. Do you really want the banks to go under and only have one or two choices of who you do business with? I certainly don't. I enjoy the choices I have for my banking needs, individually and as a small business owner.

• Cr
    Craig Carter Feb 20, 2009

Gee. I told the banks to lend money on a 400, 000 home when the person only made 25, 000 (I don't think so). The problem these banks DON''T know what the value of the loans they made or bought in "bulk". Now they want to keep the money from the federal govt. and make thoses who have been making their payments on time to keep making them at a much higher interest rate (they want the honest hard working person to "bail" them out). Seems like the bail out for the banks is the average working person, who in turn make higher tax payments due to the so called bail outs that is supposed to loosen money. Do we really want 50% of all Americans filing for Bankruptcy? The problem is we have taxation without representation. In the meantime the Speaker of the House is going to Italy on a personal junket. There is not a dime worth of difference between the Democrats and the Rebublicans. Where is Harry Truman when you need him???

• Pi
    pissed customer Feb 28, 2009

CREDIT CARD COMPANIES HAVE GOT TO BE STUPID. IF MOST PEOPLE ARE STRUGGLING JUST TO PAY THEIR BILLS NOW, WHY WOULD A COMPANY LIKE CAPITOL ONE RAISE THEIR INTEREST RATES.I JUST HAPPEN TO BE ONE OF THE LUCKY PEOPLE AND THE ECONOMY HAS YET TO CAUSE A BURDEN ON MY LIFE, BUT I REFUSE TO BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF.I HAVE NEVER MISSED A PAYMENT OR HAVE I EVER BEEN LATE.I HAVE SINCE CANCELLED MY CARD.SO TO THE PEOPLE AT CAPITOL ONE I HOPE YOU FAIL, AND KISS MY A??

• Se
    seedee Jun 25, 2009

Capitol One stinks and I hope they go under! When they start treating their good customers like numbers on a spread sheet, then they deserve what ever happens to them. My interest rate was nearly doubled from one month to the next without warning. I since have paid off the card and canceled my card. I will never do business with Capitolist One again and have warmed all my family members and friends as well.

awful bank

We were recently looking over our capital one credit card statement and came across what cap-one calls 'payment protection', along with it came a charge for $18.15, which looking into we found they charge 1% of your total balance. We went into investigating this, first, we called the number listed along side the charge on our statement. We first spoke to a capitol one representative who said we need to speak with the people at Payment Protection, who apparently is it's own entity outside of Capital One. We spoke with a representative at PPI who apologize for being unknowingly sold the product on behalf of Capital One, we ask the representative how long I've been being charged the Payment Protection Plan and she said it had been since November of 2007! We were blown away, we had never noticed this charge but we didn't expect it to be there in the first place, so we fought with the representative at PPI and after getting forwarded through 4 stages of management we finally got someone who agreed to refund us $100 and that was the maximum they would refund. We appreciated that since the responsibility should be placed on Capital One's shoulder for unknowingly charging for me a product. Our next step was to go back to Capital One to reclaim the remaining charges owed to us, which we feel is in the neighborhood of $235 BEFORE interest. After speaking at length with two representatives we were forwarded to the 'dispute department', and after speaking at length with three stages of representatives and 'managers', one decided to tell me they WOULD NOT refund the money and continued to try to send us back to the Payment Protection Company, which we would not allow them to do. After a heated conversation in which he refused to send us to someone higher or cooperate with us he decided to hang-up! A Capital One representative fraudulently sold us this product for a profit and a commission I'm sure and it is NOT the the fault of the people at the Payment Protection Company since they only provide a product for Capital One the sell and make a profit from, therefore it is Capital One's responsibility to refund us back the remaining balance of what we've been charged.

We've done a lot of research on this and it seems we are not alone, the search engines turned up hundreds of similar cases where Capital has either unknowingly sold or outright mis-sold this product to consumers and refused to take responsibility or properly service it's customers. We've managed to cancel the 'Payment Protection Plan' and as soon as the balances on these cards are paid we intend to cut all ties with Capital One and in the mean time we intend to do as much damage to Capital One's reputation as possible, it sounds like the $135 Capital One stole from me is more important than them retaining me as a customer.

I feel more people need to know about this and should warned about dealing with a company like Capital One who takes advantage of it's customers and then refuses to offer any type of customer services when it comes to handling disputes. Anything the BBB can do to arbitrate this matter we would sincerely appreciate since the last thing Capital One did for us was hang up the phone on us.

Since the amount charges for the Payment Protection Plan is based on 1% of our total balance there is no way to calculate exactly what should be refunded to us. We estimate AT LEAST $235 PLUS INTERESTED paid on the plan has been charges to us, we aren't looking to pursue the interest paid be we feel $235 is the right number, the Payment Protection Plan company has already refunded us $100 of the money, so the remaining $135 is Cap One's responsibility.

capital one customer service is terrible

I had to travel to the UK for work last year and Capital One froze my credit card after making a purchase there, based on the potential for fraud. I called them (a $20/min call), waited on hold for 20 mins, and told them to unfreeze it b/c I had no other source of money w/o the credit card. They said that I have to call them any time I leave the country or this would happen again. They also said that they would reactivate the card, and they did not. I was stuck in another country for 4 days w/o any source of money, so I had to use a friend’s credit card. Needless to say, when I got back, I canceled the card.

Then, a year later, a service that I use still had the Capital One card on file and charged it. I got a bill from Capital One and called them up. I wanted to know why the charge was not denied since I had canceled this card a year previously. They claimed that it was not canceled when I called 1 year ago. They of course had no explanation for this, and so I made it abundantly clear that I wanted the card canceled now. In the process of expressing how this was inexcusable, the representative hung up on me.

I would be very careful that Capital One actually cancels your credit card when you instruct them to. Apparently, there is recollection of events or anyone held responsible for this at these banks, even though they claim to record the conversations. I will never use Capital One again.

• Wi
    William Woodard Jan 24, 2019

Terrible customer service. I have personal and business accounts with Capital One. Every few months, I have to call in because I cant access my online accounts. Three attempted log ins and you are blocked. I tried entering forgot password. I am asked for my name, birth date, and account info. The system verifies me and takes me to the same log in page that I could log in to in the first place. On the phone, I give them all my information and they transfer me to another department "who can better assist" me. Then I speak to this department and they tell me to hold so they can transfer me back to that department. Then they try to High Verify me, but their VOIP technology is so cheap the line crackles while you try to enter in your password. Then you can use that system again (only 1 try allowed). They say they can send me a one time code to my phone numbers on file, but they then say they cant send the code to those numbers. This happens every 2 to 3 month. Capital One is CHEAP. They dont invest in CUSTOMER SERVICE or a proper web portal to log in. I bank with 12 banks around the world and only capital one has these problems. CRAP BANK.

capital one checking account practice

My husband and I have been with Capital One while it was still Hibernia Bank. It has become the most wretched...

recent capital one solicitation cases

We are a group of students in Rockville, MD, who are currently working on Capital One’s deceptive and misleading actions towards its future customers.
We are looking for people who within last year had issues with Capital One.

Those issues include:
a. being solicited by Capital One with preapproved credit cards;
b. unawareness of enrollment in “Payment Protection Plan”;
c. unawareness of the true credit limits, origination fees, and late & over the limit fees;

This is purely educational project.

Please contact us at [protected]@montgomerycollege.edu.

Thank you for your interest.