Cablevisioncablevision is terrible

Beware of this company. I am in collections with cablevision for $300 when I actually have a credit on my account. Why, you ask? Well, there is another person with the same name at a different address that has not paid their bill. After about 2 hours on the phone, cablevision advised us to go to the police department as it was a case of identity theft. (No, it's a clerical error). Police told us the same thing. Police also told us that they employ companies that use the "pay and prey" scheme. That is, the company calls all the 'sally smith's they can find, not just the debtor, and tell them that they owe the $. They make you prove you are not that person by tricking you into giving them your ss# for verification. Now they have your social and can write off the debt (Goes on your trw), so they threaten you to 'pay the debt and we'll sort it out after'. No thank you. As of today, i've spent over 5 hours on the phone, have gone to cablevision physically to show id, have faxed said id and bank statements and last 4 of social to them and still cannot get them to get the collections agency off of our backs. We have to prove we are not deadbeats because of incompetance and bad business practice on their part. Next step for me is the bbb and possibly a lawyer for harrassment. Stinks, because my condo has a contract with them that includes basic cable so if switch companies I pay for basic cable twice. They still get my $ and I still get screwed.
And by the way they also provided me with the other person's account number and driver's license number.

• St
    Stacey2574 Jun 15, 2010

Update: I now have this on my credit report, AND a second collection agency is now calling me. SHAME ON YOU CABLEVISION

• He
    Herc Isadore Aug 27, 2010

I had a similar problem just now. I couldn't believe while I was talking to them they were saying that all these addresses and names didn't match up, and I realized that they were searching for my personal information. Eventually one of them asked me for my social security number, and I couldn't believe it. They said they wanted my social security number for verification, but how could they possibly use my social security number for verification when I never gave them my social security number in the first place.