Bensons for Bedspocket sprung mattress

J

I have been a victim of Bensons for Beds. They really are a bunch of cowboys.
I sent this letter to them on 21/03/2011. They wrote back to me telling me how sorry they were, but there was nothing they could do. (so tough)
I realise now, I should have paid that bit more and gone to John Lewis. I guess I thought I was saving money. I finished work last May and my partner passed away in October, so one thing I do have now is time. I'm going to be a pain in the backside to Bensons. I even thought about standing outside the shop and handing out leaflets regarding my experience, but that's silly. We should do whatever we can to name and shame this lot, even though I think they're probably used to it.

Dear Sir / Madame
On 31/01/2011, I purchased a Posturecare Pocket 1000, 135cm mattress, from your Doncaster Branch. I explained to the assistant that I had some back pain, and my existing one was far too soft.
I told her that I wanted a firm mattress that would support my back. She recommended the above, and after laying on it, in the shop for a short while, it seemed firm enough.
I paid with my debit card and received the goods on 09/02/2011.
I now find that after sleeping on it, that it sinks where I lay. It doesn’t even spring back, when I’m not in the bed. It most certainly does not support my back, as I was told it would.
I have persevered with this for over a month now. I sleep on the edge of the bed, in an effort to get some sleep, but still wake up with chronic pain in my lower back every morning. I now suffer constantly with back pain, which I didn’t before.
I had one night in York Hospital last week and woke up pain free. This just confirmed what I already new.
I did not ask for a mattress that moulds itself to my body shape..
Under the sales of goods act of 1979, the mattress is not fit for purpose.
Please get back to me straight away, as I cannot continue like this.

Yous sincerely

J R Ashmore

Matthew1981 Feb 27, 2012

I am too currently experiencing the same problems with my £300 matress and all "customer services" (If you can actualy call it that) keep telling me is that it is a cheap matress and that its out of its miniscule warrenty period. Poor effort all round so I will be writing to trading standards if I get the same response to my letter to them of 27/02/12.

John Ashmore Feb 27, 2012

Dear Matthew 1981. I do hope you succeed . I kept on at them and with the help of Trading Standards, they persuaded Bensons to send someone out to inspect it and I finally got my money back. I now have a mattress I can sleep on, from John Lewis. They told me I could send it back even after 30 days. The difference is that John Lewis care about their customers. Best of luck . John Ashmore

Matthew1981 Mar 12, 2012

John. Thank you for the information, its much appreciated. I intend on compiling as many screen shots as possible of unsatisfied customers online complaints to issue to Trading Standards in an effort to help me receive an amicable resolve with mine. Fingers crossed. How long did the process roughly take through Trading Standardsif you dont mind me asking? Matthew Lamprell

John Ashmore Mar 12, 2012

Hello Matthew. It went on in total for just under a year. Trading Standards had so many complaints about Bensons. Just when they thought they were getting somewhere, the contact they had there left. Bensons sent someone from a company, called Homeserve, to check it. He said there was nothing wrong and it was just settlement in the mattress. They finally got them to do a second check by a different technician. At last, by just putting a plumb line across it he found it to be faulty . I eventually got my money back. I know just what you are going through. Best of luck anyway. John