Bell Canadacustomer support, technical support and management

This review was posted by
a verified customer
Verified customer

On Thursday, August 16, 2018, I was asked by a Bell Representative if I would like to receive a free upgrade to fiber optic that would increase our internet speed from 25 to 300. I said yes. After that it took 8.7 weeks to perform the upgrade and correct all of the mistakes that were made during the upgrade.

To get the resolution to all of the problems, I needed to have 60 different communications with Bell which included 44 contradictions, 52 serious mistakes and 7 disconnections! I spent over 40 hours of my time searching for solutions and was refused escalation of the matter to management.

I have clearly documented every communication in an 11 page document that I can provide upon request. I've pasted the text below but it is a lot easier to read in the properly formatted, colour-coded Word document.

Gayle Freeman's Bell Support Fiasco Summary
Time span of this fiasco: 8.7 weeks
Days met with or spoken to Bell personnel: 22 days
Hours spent communicating with Bell personnel: Over 40 hours
Bell personnel sent to the house: 14 people (including two who came more than once)
Bell communications by phone, text and email: 46 communcations / intrusions
Contradictions: 44 contradictions between Bell personnel
Serious mistakes: 52 serious mistakes made
On Thursday, August 16, 2018, I received my Bell bill and saw a charge for a call that I never placed as well as a note warned about a pending increase to my bill. (~15 minutes)
• Called Customer Service at 4:45pm and spoke with Tenee. Tenee reversed the inappropriate charge and applied a new discount to counteract the upcoming increase. New monthly bill will be $146 plus tax (~$170.88).
• Tenee then asked me if I would like to receive a free upgrade to fiber optic that would increase our internet speed from 25 to 300. I said yes.
• Tenee said she would send someone to swap out the modem. I asked Tenee about rewiring with fiber but she said that would not be necessary, just a modem swap.
Received confirmation email from Bell on Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 5:02pm saying that a Bell professional technician visit is required for Fibe TV and Internet (but no mention about any changes to the home phone)." Email also said that I "chose not to purchase a backup battery" for the new modem but a backup battery was never even mentioned to me. Appointment set for Monday, August 20, 2018 between 1 and 3 pm.
Called Bell on Thursday, August 16, 2018 about the need to purchase a backup battery in order to avoid losing phone service during a power outage. I was told that this was NOT true, that I wouldn't lose connection on landlines and that I should just ignore that message. (~10 minutes)
Technician called on Monday, August 20, 2018 at 11:27 am to ask if he can come in 15 minutes. He came by but couldn't do anything because the wires do need to be changed and he needed access to Sandip's garage. I called Sandip and he said no one would be home before 5:30pm. Technician said he could come back later but would need access to their garage during the day and said the job requires two technicians. Technician checked and said there's room in the underground conduit to run the new fiber cable. Called Sandip and he said someone would be home the next afternoon. Technician made follow-up appointment for Tuesday, August 21, 2018 from 12 to 5pm. (~30 minutes)
Two technicians came on Tuesday afternoon, August 21, 2018, only to tell me that everything the previous technician told me was false. (~60 minutes)
• First one of them said they'd need to dig up the backyard to run the cable to the house and was surprised when I told him that there was already a conduit underground.
• Then the other one said there was nothing they could do until I paid a contractor to run fiber optic cables from Sandip's garage to my condo. I asked why they couldn't just tie the fiber cable to the copper cable and just pull it into my condo. They said this is technically possible but they're not allowed to do it because it's a condo. They said they could do it if it was a house or an apartment but not a condo. I found that ridiculous but asked them to at least run the fiber cable from the yard to Sandip's garage while I still had access to his garage. They refused and said it's against Bell policy to start a job that they cannot finish. I said that's was ridiculous and the tech said he would call his manager to ask permission but quickly got off the phone and said he wasn't allowed.
Called customer service on Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 5pm and explained the situation. I was promised that a manager would call me back within 30 minutes but no one EVER called back. (~15 minutes)
Called customer service again on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 3:10pm and complained about never having gotten a call back from anyone. Spoke to Medissa who spoke with the manager of the technicians and arranged for the manager to call me back. The manager's name is Adele Densouia. (45+ minutes)
Adele Densouia called back on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 4:05pm and said he will send his "best technician", Eric Furlong, along with a second technician to do "whatever it takes" to add the cable and perform the upgrade. Adele confirmed that he will be sending Eric and one other person on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 between 1pm and 3pm. Texted Sandip to let him know that I need his garage remote for tomorrow afternoon. (~30 minutes)
Eric Furlong came alone before noon on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 to check things out and then came after 1pm. Eric had asked his manager to come by to speak with me and help with the job but Eric's manager only showed up a couple of hours later and only stayed for a short time. Eric was polite, profession and extremely knowledgeable! Eric ran fiber cables from Sandip's garage, through the stairwell and into our condo but was too busy to finish the job. Eric said someone would need to come back to run the cable from the backyard to the garage and then replace the modem inside. Eric was alone for most of the time that he was here so I assisted him while he worked. (~210 minutes)
Two technicians from Bell showed up on Thursday, August 30, 2018 around 1pm and spent several hours trying to get the new fiber optic cables connected from the back yard to Sandip's garage. At one point Adele Densouia arrived with another man from Bell to speak with me and check things out. First technician damaged Sandip's garage wall unnecessarily and then left sometime after 5pm. Second technician (Tevi) stayed even longer to setup the modem, get the house phone working again and help us configure the new modem. Tevi left at close to 7:30pm! (~390 minutes)
Tevi promised that someone from Bell would call me on Friday, August 31, 2018 to arrange a time for someone to come on Monday to fix the holes they made in Sandip's garage. Emailed Sandip to let him know. Sandip asked me to get Bell to fix the holes. Nobody called from Bell and no one came on Monday to fix the wall in Sandip's garage. (~15 minutes)
Called Bell on Monday, September 03, 2018 at 12:45pm to follow-up on pending garage-repairs for Sandip, reinstate missing caller ID, reinstate missing call waiting on home phone and get wifi-extenders. Spoke first with Miguel but got disconnected during a very brief power surge and Miguel did not call back despite having my home and cell phone numbers. (25+ minutes)
Called Bell again on Monday, September 03, 2018 and this time spoke with Claire. Claire was very polite, professional and apologized for all of the inconveniences as well as thanked me for my patience. (45+ minutes)
• Claire opened Ticket # [protected] to send someone to repair the holes in Sandip's wall. Someone should call me today or tomorrow to make an appointment for the repairs to be done.
• Claire confirmed that caller ID is no longer showing on the account but said that visual call waiting is. Had Allan call the house line from his cell phone and he got a busy signal. Told Claire that call waiting isn't working either. Claire opened ticket # [protected] escalated the call to the field team.
• Finally, Claire said that Bell can provide 4 wifi-extender pods for $5/month. Told Claire I don't see why I should have to pay anything when I was promised a stronger modem with the upgrade, only to discover that the wifi is now worse on Windows 8.1 devices. Claire asked supervisor what she could do and was told she should placed the order and bill the $5 but then I should call customer care right away to dispute the charge. Claire had repeated problems processing the order for the 4 wifi-extender pods so she said I should call customer care and have them send me the pods and process the discount at the same time.
• Claire said to call customer care at [protected], enter language selection, then press #, then request option for residential billing and request the 4 wifi-extender pods at no charge due to the fact that I was promised better wifi in the bedroom and now it's worse. Also, make sure no charges were added to monthly bill when Caller ID and Call Waiting were lost and reinstated.
Got call on my cell phone from Bell on Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 1:40 pm with a recorded message saying to press 2 to speak with someone about my issue but when I pressed 2, I reached another recording saying to call [protected] to speak with someone about my issue. (5+ minutes)
Called Bell back right away on Tuesday, September 4, 2018 and spoke with someone named Charles. Charles confirmed that the call I received on my cell phone was regarding ticket number [protected]. Told Charles that Caller ID and Call Waiting haven't worked since the technician was here on Thursday. Charles kept me on and off hold for over 45 minutes and then after having me test the Call Waiting 9 times, he asked me to unplug and reconnect the modem. I didn't know at this point that our home phone was working through the modem but Charles should have known this! I told Charles I needed to put the phone down to do this and he said sure. Rebooting modem disconnected the phone and Charles did NOT call back despite having verified my number in case of disconnection! (45+ minutes)
I kept the house line open and called [protected] again on Tuesday, September 4, 2018 using my cell phone. After over 15 minutes on hold, I was transferred to a rep named Andy. (55+ minutes)
• I told Andy what happened with Charles and he didn't apologize for the terrible treatment, nor did he even acknowledge it but he was polite and asked me what the problem was.
• Told Andy that Caller ID and Call Waiting haven't worked since the technician was here on Thursday. Andy asked me to dial *98 on our house phone. I did this and got a busy signal. Andy then put me on hold for a long time, came back, thanked me for my considerable patience and put me on hold again. Andy came back and confessed that he doesn't see the Caller ID or Call Waiting services on my line and that he's trying to add them. Told Andy he was the third person who said they were adding the services to my line but that so far they're still not working.
• Andy finally came back and asked me to test the phone by calling the house line from my cell phone while he called me. Call waiting worked. Caller ID did not work but Andy said that's normal because it doesn't work when Bell technicians call. Hung up on Andy from the cell phone to call the house line from my cell phone and Caller ID worked! Thanked Andy profusely and told him that he deserved a prize. Andy said it was his pleasure and thanked me again for my patience with the extremely long wait times.
• Andy asked if he could help with anything else so I asked about the wifi-extenders but Andy said he cannot place the order and recommended I contact customer care.
• Followed up with Andy on ticket [protected]…Andy checked and said that my call was escalated to management yesterday and that it may take a day or two to get a response.
Called customer care at [protected] on Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 5:30 pm and waited on hold and spoke with Raya.
• Asked Raya to make sure that no charges were added to monthly bill when Caller ID and Call Waiting were lost and reinstated. Raya confirmed that the billing amount would be $146+tax so therefore no change occurred.
• Asked Raya to follow up on status of ticket [protected].
• Finally, requested the 4 wifi-extender pods at no charge due to the fact that I was promised better wifi in the bedroom and now it's worse. Raya offered 6-month credit of $5 and I refused. Raya then offered me a one-time credit of $50 but I refused again and explained that a $50 credit would only cover the first 10 months and after that I would be forever paying $5 per month just to have the range that I was promised for free.
• Raya argued with me and started saying that she'd have to send another tech to the house to be sure the pods will help but I told her the tech was already here and already said the pods would be the only thing that would help. Raya finally agreed to send one pack of 4 pods for me to try and said she will credit me $5 for the first monthly charge. Raya put a note on the account saying that I will be calling back in one month to request a reversal of the monthly $5 charge for 11 more months if I decide to keep the pods. (50+ minutes)
Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at about 6:20pm, I was transferred by Raya to Tech Support to follow up on ticket [protected] about the fixing of the holes in the wall of Sandip's garage. Jim checked ticket [protected] and saw that the appointment was made for 8am on Wednesday but no one had told me that. Told Jim that I couldn't do early morning and asked for an afternoon appointment between 1 and 3pm. Jim changed appointment time to 12 to 4pm on Wednesday and said he would have customer support process a one-time credit to apologize for the delays and inconvenience. (15 minutes)
On Wednesday, September 5, 2018, no one called or came from Bell so in the late afternoon, I called [protected] and spoke with Leslie. Leslie checked and said as far as she can see, no one was scheduled to come to our house today. Leslie said a manager will have to call me before they will send someone and they may even tell me to get my own quote for the repairs. Leslie sent an alert to the managers telling them that I was promised that the repairs would be done today and that I'm getting fed up of being repeatedly told that someone will call "tomorrow". Leslie said she would check again in the morning to be sure that someone called me and if not, she'll follow up again. She said if I do call again, just mention the ticket number [protected]. (20 minutes)
Got call from contractor hired by Bell (Martin at [protected]) on Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 5:17pm. Martin said he got the request yesterday and politely asked me if this was a good time to call me. He was shocked when I told him that I was told he was coming today because no one told him that. Martin was very polite and asked if he could come tomorrow between 10 and 10:30am depending on traffic. I told Martin I have to leave by noon and he promised he would be finished by noon. (5 minutes)
Martin showed up at 10am on Thursday, September 6, 2018 and did a great job of patching the wall in Sandip's garage. Left at 11:00am after taking a brief break to get more putty at Rona. (60 minutes)
Adele called me on my cell phone on Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 11:10am and spoke to me in French despite me responding over and over in English. Finally I asked him if he spoke English and he said yes and switched to English.
• Adele did not reference any ticket number but said "you made complaint about the internet?" I said "yes, but only in the bedrooms". I explained that I had several problems after the technicians left on Thursday including the need to patch the holes his employee left in Sandip's wall.
• Told Adele that I was told that Bell would send pods to fix the wifi problem in the bedroom. Adele insisted that a technician has to come to install the pods for me despite my repeatedly saying that I was told that the pods were pre-programmed.
• Adele made appointment for technician to come on Friday, September 7, 2018 between 1:00 and 3:00 pm. (~10 minutes)
Alain Robillard called me on my cell phone on Thursday, September 6th at 1:25pm to say that the pods had already been ordered, programmed and shipped to my house. Told Alain that Adele said I couldn't connect the pods on my own. Alain said Adele was wrong. Alain told me to just plug in the pods and they should work right away. If they don't help, call Bell and they'll send a technician. (~10 minutes)
Bell wifi-extender pods were delivered by courier on Friday, September 7, 2018 at 11:30am. Connected pods and tested wifi speed. As instructed, left pods in place for a few days to "continue to self-adjust". (45+ minutes)
Martin showed up at 10am on Wednesday, September 12, 2018, sanded and re-plastered Sandip's wall. Martin said he will return tomorrow or Friday to finish the job. (30 minutes)
As per Raya, if pods work, I should call customer support and request a reversal of the monthly $5 charge for 11 more. Called on Friday, September 14, 2018 at 1:50pm and spoke with a woman named Ice. Told Ice that Raya told me to call back to have the $5 per month discount extended for another 11 months if the pods are working. Told Ice that the pods are working so I'm calling back to have the $5/month pod-rental fee discounted for the next 11 months. Ice checked the notes on the account and said she cannot find a promotion so she will apply a monthly credit instead. Ice applied a $5/per month credit to my account for one year. The total monthly credit will be for $5.75 with tax. Current balance outstanding is $165.13. (15 minutes)
Martin called around 11:10am on Friday, September 14, 2018 and came by around 11:50am. He sanded the wall one last time and cleaned up after himself as always. (15 minutes)
Receive another email on Thursday, October 4, 2018 from Bell about the need to purchase a backup battery in order to avoid losing phone service during a power outage.
Called Bell on Sunday, October 7, 2018 and spoke with customer service who transferred my call to Tech Support [protected]). Spoke with Melz in Tech Support. Told Melz this is the second time I've received an email about requiring a backup battery in order to use our landline during a power outage. Melz confirmed that this is untrue and that a battery backup is NOT required for corded phones during a power failure. Asked Melz about the annoying busy signal that we get when someone hangs up, instead of just disconnecting the line. Melz transferred the call to Gille in second tier support. (~30 minutes)
• Melz had NOT documented the problem correctly at all so I had to re-explain the entire problem to Gille. Gille double-checked the settings on our account and didn't see a problem. Had Gille call me on my cell phone and then hang up on my landline so she could hear the noise for herself. Test worked. Gille documented the problem and consulted with her coworkers. Gille asked me to plug my corded phone into the modem directly to see if the problem still happens. I told her that I couldn't do that since it requires moving furniture in the bedroom and the living room. Gille said she would send a technician. (~45 minutes)
• Asked Gille why an issue with our home phone would have anything whatsoever to do with our modem and Gille advised me that our phone line has been switched to fiber so it now works through the modem! I told Gille she could see for herself how many people from Bell I've spoken with over the past two months and this is the FIRST time that anyone has bothered to inform me of this change! Gille confirmed that since our phone line is now working over fiber optics, all phone access WILL be lost anytime the modem loses power! I told Gille that three other people in Support told me this is NOT the case and that I should have been told this PRIOR to the upgrade!
• Gille said she could transfer me to someone in customer support who can assist me to rent a backup battery and my head almost popped off. I told Gille I have no desire whatsoever to rent a battery, that battery backup is only good for a maximum of four hours and that I was NOT consulted, nor did I give my permission to have our home phone line switched to fiber optic cable! Gille's answer was to tell me that most people have cell phones now so they don't care. Gille scheduled a technician to come from Bell on Tuesday, October 9, 2018 between 3pm and 5pm. Gille said the technician will investigate the problem with the busy signal after calls are dropped and that I should speak to the technician at the same time about changing the phone lines back to copper again! (~45 minutes)
Tried to call back immediately on Sunday, October 7, 2018 to request that Eric Furlong be sent to our house but the recording said that the office was closed already. Never received email promised to confirm appointment with technician. Called back again on Monday, October 8, 2018 at 11am and spoke with Miguel. Miguel said the appointment had not yet been scheduled yet. Miguel assured me that I would receive an email confirming the appointment as soon as once is scheduled. Told Miguel I wanted a specialist to be sent so I can avoid further interactions with technicians that don't know how to resolve our complex issues. Asked for Eric Furlong to be sent if possible and said I'd be happy to wait for him to be available. Miguel said he requested for technician's visit to be delayed until Eric Furlong could be sent. (~20 minutes)
Still never received email confirming appointment but got call on home phone on Tuesday October 9, 2018 at 3:33 from Bell recording saying that a technician is on the way. (~30 minutes)
• Technician arrived around 4pm on Tuesday, October 9, 2018 and asked if I could speak French. I said no.
• Technician did not know why he was here. Explained problem to technician and demonstrated the loud busy signal that occurs each time a call is disconnected. Technician proceeded to insist that this was normal and that this has always been the case. He did a "test" and told me there is nothing wrong with our phone.
• Technician spoke English well but kept asking if I could speak to him in French. I kept saying no.
• Told technician in English that this problem never occurred prior to the upgrade from copper to fibre optics. Again he said it's not a problem and that it's perfectly normal. I said it was ridiculous to keep saying that it's normal and he said I could request another technician but they will all tell me the same thing. He patronizingly offered to call Bell for me but I said I would call Bell myself.
• As instructed by Gille, I told the technician that the other reason for his visit was to put our phones back to copper. Technician said "That's not my job. You need to call customer service." I told the technician that I did call customer service and was told to ask the technician when he came to the house. The technician said again "It's not my job" and gathered his stuff to leave. Asked his name and he said "Marian".
Called Bell to complain on Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 4:30pm and spoke at length (politely) to someone named Rio. (~60 minutes)
• I tried to explain my frustration with the technician and she sympathized but only wanted to schedule another appointment with a different technician. I told Rio it would be pointless to schedule another appointment if the next technician is just going to say the same thing.
• Rio asked me a bunch of questions and then put me on hold for a few minutes.
• Rio came back and told me she would be hanging up to "check something" and would call me right back. Rio told me to be sure that no one touches the phone before she calls back.
• I waited well over half an hour and Rio NEVER called back. Meanwhile, there was suddenly a red light and error on the modem and the TV was no longer working.
On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 5:30pm, I called Bell on my cell phone to see what was happening with Rio. (60+ minutes)
• Spoke to another service rep but I forgot her name. Rep said she couldn't contact Rio and had no idea what she'd done. All Rio documented was that she tried to call me on my home phone.
• Told rep that Rio said she was going test something and obviously did something besides just call my home phone. Rep asked me to check to see if the phone was working and I asked if it was possible that Rio was still doing something that I would be interrupting. Rep said no. Checked and phone was no longer working at all! Got a busy signal when turning on the phone instead of a dial tone.
• Rep again asked if she could schedule a technician to come to the house and I said no. Told her the problem was caused remotely so it can be fixed remotely. Rep said all she could do is schedule an appointment for tomorrow or the next day. Said that was completely unacceptable and that if she wants to send someone, it should be now. Rep said that would not be possible but offered to help me "troubleshoot" the problem. All she did was ask me to reboot the Fibe console which I did but of course it did absolutely nothing.
• It was now after 6pm, my phone and TV services had been down for over an hour and nothing was been done about it so I asked rep to escalate my call. The rep said no so I asked to speak with her manager but she said her manager was busy.
• The rep said the best she could do is send someone tomorrow morning at 8am and my head almost exploded. I said that was 100% unacceptable and told her she needed to escalate the call immediately!
• Rep's manager took the phone and abruptly asked me what the problem is. Told her I've been transferred enough times and spoken to enough people who don't know what they're doing and I refuse to do it any longer. Told her that my services were disconnected remotely so they can be reconnected remotely and there's no way I should have to wait until tomorrow to have someone investigate. Manager said she would put me on hold and see what could be done but she never came back on the line!
Around 6:30pm on Tuesday, October 9, 2018, the hold music suddenly ended and the line went completely quiet. (~30 minutes)
• I said hello and a very surprised tech rep replied and said he thought his colleague was going to introduce him but she seemed to have just hung up. The tech's name was Edgar and he was very knowledgeable.
• Told Edgar that someone named Rio had disconnected my phone accidentally and that I'd already tried rebooting the console and the router. Told Edgar the problem should be fixable remotely since it was broken remotely and Edgar immediately agreed. Edgar checked and confirmed that there was no outage in my area. Told Edgar I'm glad he checked because "better safe than sorry" but said I would've rushed out to buy a lotto ticket if there had been because it would be an incredible coincidence for an outage to occur at the exact moment Rio was performing her test. Edgar laughed and said he agreed.
• After a few minutes, Edgar said he thought he saw the problem and asked me to wait before asking me to check the phone. It still wasn't working so he asked me to wait again and then asked me to check again. It was working.
• Next Edgar turned his attention to the TV and asked me to turned it off and back on again. It didn't work at first but Edgar asked me to wait a few minutes. While waiting to test the TV, asked Edgar if he could tell me what the problem was. Edgar told me that it looks like someone deleted the services! After Edgar fixed everything, we tested the call waiting and caller ID and they were still working.
• Thanked Edgar for his help and told him he was the more knowledgeable person I'd spoken with so far. Asked Edgar about switching the phone back to copper and he said it's definitely possible and easy to do. Edgar said to call customer billing and request the switch of the phone back to copper. Got off the phone with Edgar around 7pm.
After getting off the phone around 7:00pm, I saw that I'd gotten a text message from Bell at 6:02pm on Tuesday, October 9, 2018. (~60 minutes)
• The text message said it was to confirm the visit by a technician scheduled for between 8am and 10pm. This is 14 hour window for a visit that I didn't authorize and a note threatening to charge me if I wasn't home when they got there!
• Called Bell again around 8:15 pm and spoke to a nice woman Lynn. Told Lynn that I'm sorry if I sounded frustrated but I'd been passed from person to person for hours (and days and weeks) and I just can't take it anymore. Lynn was kind and patient (and apologetic) and made sure she completely understood the problem.
• After finally understanding everything, Lynn cancelled the service call for 8am and went to ask her manager what to do. Lynn was immediately told to escalate my call to level 2.
• Lynn put me on hold for a couple of more minutes, only to come back and say that the level 2 support department is already closed because it was now after 9pm.
• Told Lynn I don't mind calling back tomorrow but asked for a direct number to call. Lynn tried but found no direct number. Lynn checked for another alternative and said I need to speak with someone in the non-fibre tech department (copper). Lynn tried to reach the non-Fibe department and then transferred my call.
Spoke to Surya on the non-copper tech team around 9:15pm on Tuesday, October 9, 2018. Surya understood what I explained immediately and put me on hold to see what could be done. Surya told me this issue should be handled by billing since they're the only ones with the authority to make the change. They can then arrange for someone in tech support to downgrade our phone line to copper. Surya said the billing department opens at 8am. Told me to call billing at [protected], ask for downgrade of phone line and they will arrange for technician to come make the change. (~15 minutes)
On Thursday, October 11, 2018, spent time gathering and summarizing six pages of details to be documented and submitted to Bell once services are finally all working again. (~180 minutes)
On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 4pm, called billing at [protected] and spoke to Joshua to ask for downgrade of phone line back to copper. (90+ minutes)
• Joshua was very polite and professional and asked me to please explain why I wanted to downgrade and I gave him a brief summary of the problems we've had as well as the detriment of having phones go through the router. Joshua said he understood completely and asked to put me on hold while he investigates the possibility of downgrading our phone line.
• Joshua checked and said they couldn't downgrade the phone back to copper but said that he had a solution involving a backup battery for the modem. Told Joshua that I appreciate his help but that solution is not acceptable to me since all it does is delay the problem for a maximum of four hours and over time that delay will continue to become shorter and shorter until the battery doesn't work at all. I would still lose my phones during extended power outages as well as any reboots of the router. Asked Josh to please escalate my call.
• Joshua was still waiting for a supervisor but they're all busy. He said he wanted to mention that even if I talk to supervisor, I will be told the same thing. He said he already asked and they said that I could request a downgrade of my services but "cannot" downgrade back to copper. Told Joshua that it's not true that the line "can't" be downgraded, it's just that they're choosing not to downgrade it and that's completely unacceptable to me. Told Joshua that I was never asked or even told about the upgrade of my phone line and that if I had been, I would have never agreed to the upgrade.
• I told Joshua that I understand he's just saying what he was told but that either his supervisor is not telling him the truth or he doesn't know the truth. Told him that Edgar and Surya from tech support already confirmed that this could be easily done but they told me that I need to call billing to give their permission and put in the request for a technician to be sent to make the change.
• Joshua transferred me to his supervisor, Jam but Jam did not have the file and was having trouble bringing up my file. Jam eventually found my file and I gave him a reasonably quick rundown of the problem as well as how many different people that I'd already spoken with about this issue. Jam apologized for the fact that the right-hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.
• Jam came back and said that he spoke with someone in tech support who said that it was possible to do the downgrade as long as the copper is still present. Jam said he would now be calling someone from Level 2 support so I told him that I had already spoke with Adele Densouia back at the end of August who sent his "best technician", Eric Furlong to do the upgrade to fiber. Jam came back and said that his supervisor told him to just transfer me to level 2 support.
• Spoke with Cara from level 2 support and she said she would be able to process the request that I've been trying to get done for the past "couple of days". Cara apologized in advance saying that it would take her some time but that she would be giving me an appointment for a technician to come and perform the work.
• Cara made an appointment for a technician to come to downgrade the phones back to copper on Tuesday, October 16, 2018 between 12pm and 5pm. Asked for the arrival window to be narrowed to between 1 and 3pm if possible. Cara made a note to see if it's possible and noted both my home and cell phone numbers just in case.
• Confirmed with Cara that the downgrade is only for the phone and confirmed that the TV and Internet would remain with fiber optic. Cara assured me this would be the case.
• Asked Cara to please be sure that the technician sent would know exactly what needs to be done before coming over since last time the guy just said it wasn't his job and left. Cara assured me that the technician would know exactly what needs to be done. Checked to be sure I would not be charged and Cara assured me that there would definitely be no charge for this service call.
Got call on my cell phone on Friday, October 12, 2018 at 9:30am from Kayla at Bell [protected]) who was double-checking because an order was placed for a new home phone line and she was that we already have a home phone line at this address. Told Kayla that I did not request a new phone line, and that the order was supposed to be to downgrade our phone line from fiber back to copper. Once again I was assured that the order is clear and that a technician would be coming on Tuesday, October 16, 2018 to fulfill this request. (5+ minutes)
Got call on my cell phone on Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 11:58pm from Yousef at Bell [protected]) who was double-checking because an order was placed for the cancellation of my home phone line. Told Jousef I did not request the cancellation of my phone line, and that the order was supposed to be to downgrade our phone line from fiber back to copper. Once again I was assured that the order is clear and that a technician would be coming on Tuesday, October 16, 2018 to fulfill this request. (5+ minutes)
Received Bell bill and saw that we were billed for long distance calls that were made in September despite the fact that Bell is not my long distance provider. Bell charged $1.33 per minute plus tax to call Ontario and then supposedly discounted that charge to $0.40 per minute which is still completely outrageous. (~60 minutes)
• Called Bell on Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 5:30pm and spoke with Kim.
• Told Kim that I had been calling Bell on a daily basis to report problem after problem and that now I needed to report a problem with my bill. Kim apologized for the inconvenience and assured me that he would do his best to ensure that this would be the last time I needed to call.
• Kim put me on hold to investigate the charges and then confirmed that Bell is not my long distance provider and asked me if my coverage with the other provider has a maximum number of minutes. I told him no, my coverage with DCI is unlimited.
• Asked Kim why Bell would charge me for long distance calls if he confirmed that they're not my long distance provider. Kim said he didn't know but that it would be investigated.
• Asked Kim for a case number but he said there was none. Kim said that I would get an email confirming that the case had been taken by a representative and then I would be called with details once they figure out what happened.
• Kim said he would credit me the $10.40 plus tax for the calls that should not have been charge.
• Kim said there would be no further charges. Asked Kim how he knows that other calls in September won't appear on my next bill and Kim said he didn't know.
• When I asked Kim about the charge of $2.95 plus tax for "LD Activation fee", he said he would credit that amount as well. I told him that I was not impressed that he didn't offer to credit that amount until I asked about it.
• Asked Kim what other charges were added to my bill that should be credited. Kim said he didn't know. Told him that the additional internet charges shouldn't be there either. Kim asked me to hold while he investigated and after waiting on hold for more than 10 minutes, I was disconnected at 6:10pm!!!
• Waited more than 30 minutes to see if Kim would call back and Kim NEVER called back!!!
• Called Bell again on Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 6:45pm and received a recording saying that their offices are NOW CLOSED.
Called on Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 5:25pm and spoke with Victoria. Started telling Victoria everything that I had discussed with Kim yesterday and she asked me who my long distance provider is. I said "DCI" and Victoria asked me if I'd called DCI. I told Victoria that Bell has been my phone provider for over 25 years and has not been my long distance provider for over 25 years and that I just told that Kim had already confirmed that Bell is not my long-distance provider so why would I call DCI? Told Victoria that I want my call escalated immediately. Victoria said okay and then disconnected me and did not call back! (~5 minutes)
Called on again on Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 5:40pm after waiting 10 minutes for Victoria to call back and spoke with Aurora. Told Aurora how often I'd been disconnected first by Kim last night and now by Victoria. I begged her to either escalate my call to someone who can help me or promised me that she would call me back if we're disconnected. Aurora apologized for the terrible service I'd received and promised to help me out and call back if we're disconnected. (~20 minutes)
• Aurora was polite, professional, VERY honest and overall awesome.
• Aurora said to ask for employee ID number for all employees in future because it's next to impossible to follow up using just employee names.
• Aurora checked and said that Kim did not process any of the credits that she promised, she did not open a ticket to investigate the long distance charges and in fact there's no mention whatsoever to my having called yesterday at all!
• Aurora said it's pointless to open a case to see why Bell billed for long distance when they're not my long distance provider. She said there's no way to find that out but confirmed that Bell is not my long distance provider now.
• Aurora gave me a number to call [protected]) to confirm who my long distance provider is currently.
• Told Aurora I was billed for long distance calls that were made in September despite the fact that Bell is not my long distance provider. Aurora credited me for $10.40 plus tax.
• Told Aurora I was billed for "LD activation fee". Aurora credited me for $2.95 plus tax.
• Told Aurora I was billed for Unlimited usage promo. Aurora credited me for $6.00 plus tax.
• Told Aurora I was missing $5 monthly credit for Wi-Fi pods. Aurora credited me $55 for this month and the next ten months.
• Aurora had me log on to confirm that the adjustment of $96.99 was processed (and it was).
Called [protected] on Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 6:30pm and confirmed that my long distance provider is Bell!!! (5 minutes)
Still never received email confirming appointment but got call on cell phone on Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:00am, at the exact same time as on my house phone from [protected] Bell recording in English saying that this was to confirm the date and time of service call but there was NO DATE AND TIME provided! (>5 minutes)
Still never received email confirming appointment but got another call on home phone on Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:00am from [protected] Bell recording in English saying that this was to confirm service tomorrow between 8am and 5pm (should be between noon and 5pm or if possible between 1pm to 3pm) saying that there would be no one coming to the house since the work could be done remotely! (>5 minutes)
Called DCI on Monday, October 15, 2018 at 3:05pm and spoke with Prashika. Prashika put in the request to take back the line but warned that it could take between 5 and 7 business days to take effect. (~5 minutes)
Called Bell again on Monday, October 15, 2018 at 3:25pm about recording that said no one would be coming to our house tomorrow! Spoke with Chinny in the customer loyalty department (transferred directly).
• Explained the reason for the service call and the confusion over the recordings.
• Told Chinny that I need her to confirm why the recording said the work would be done remotely.
• Asked Chinny to please call back if we are disconnected and she promised that she would.
• Chinny asked if she could put me on hold and I told her to take her time.
• After about 10 minutes on hold, Chinny confirmed that our appointment with the technician was completely cancelled!
• Told Chinny how long this mess had been going on, how many people I'd spoken with and how many mistakes had been made so far.
• Chinny acknowledged that it won't change anything but apologized profusely for all of the problems and mistakes made by Bell personnel.
• Chinny from Bell confirmed that a level 2 technician will come to our house tomorrow (Tuesday, October 16, 2018) between 3pm and 5pm. (~30 minutes)
On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 Bell technician (Tevi) got here over an hour early at 1:45pm without calling first. Same guy as the one who installed the fibre lines from the backyard to Sandip's garage. (~120 minutes)
• No warning call before the technician arrived (early)
• Tevi said he was sent to upgrade the speed of our internet to 1gig!
• Explained what he was actually supposed to be doing here and Tevi said there would be a charge to put the phone back to copper. Told him I was told there would be no charge!
• Tevi went out to truck to call office and then came back and asked me if the phone is working. It was no longer working!
• Tevi spoke to someone at Bell who confirmed that they had changed the line back to copper. Tevi in house explained to guy on phone that the copper is not connected yet.
• Tevi handed me phone to talk to Tony who asked me to confirm that I didn't want to upgrade my internet speed. I confirmed that there was never any mention of increasing my speed and that I would not agree to pay more for the increase.
• Tony asked if I had any questions and I asked him if the work would still be done today. Tony said yes, definitely.
• Tevi went back outside, came back inside and then left to do something at the main switch
• Tevi came back inside around 3:30pm and asked me to try the phone a few minutes later. Phone and caller ID worked and TV and internet were still working too.
• Tevi left around 3:50pm after leaving his name and phone number [protected]) and employee ID (69218)
• Tevi said there's a good chance that our phone will be disconnected tonight when the automated system runs a review of the day's changes. Tevi said to call him and he'll fix it right away.
Received call on cell phone on Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 3:37pm. Recording said the technician is on the way!!!
Spent time updating and highlighting documented details in what is now an eleven page document of the mistakes that have been made by Bell. (~210 minutes)


  • De
    Denis Flingback Oct 24, 2018
    This comment was posted by
    a verified customer
    Verified customer

    I strongly suggest you contact "Go Public" on C.B.C. Give them a brief summary of your unbelievable problem with Bell. I have twice emailed them regarding Bell's overall attitude towards its customers - extremely poor customer service &, other B.S. we're all subjected to continually. Perhaps if more user would contact them, "Go Public" may finally get enough interest to proceed with one of their exposes. If they did, it would show Bell's real side as reported by their bread & butter - - All of us who would love to dump them entirely.

    I got Fibe in 2012 when it was at its beginnings . It was fantastic - No problems/intolerable on hold wait times - Great support - & so on. It all f!!ell apart in 2015 I believe when they went to what I refer to as "A One Stop Shop." So, whatever prompt one chooses, the rep could then "help" with all other areas like Tech Support. They created Jacks of All Trades & Masters on None. Where in hell should a rep properly trained in Billing be capable of being a Techie - - No other company comes to mind.

    Bell's main concern, once they've got you, is to make certain you pay your E-Bill for their Over Priced Services. Other than that - - Let the customer be damned. I trust, like me, you're looking for viable alternatives!! I dumped their phone after 54 years &, went with Vonage - Never been more pleased with the extremely friendly & capable support team &, the cost - more than half less than Ma Bell - with more services for which there's NO charge. Bell, on the other hand, would if they could, charge us for phone calls for support - - Bad news that has only gotten worse over the last 3 years.

    0 Votes

Post your comment

    By clicking Submit you are agreeing to the Complaints Board’s Terms and Conditions



    Unhappy consumers gather online at and have already logged thousands of complaints.
    If you see dozens of complaints about a certain company on ComplaintsBoard, walk away.
    One of the largest consumer sites online. Posting here your concerns means good exposure for your issues.
    A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices.
    ComplaintsBoard is a good source for product and company gripes from especially dissatisfied people.
    You'll definitely get some directions on how customer service can best solve your problem.
    Do a little research on the seller. Visit consumer complaint websites like ComplaintsBoard.