BB&Toverdraft fee stacking

S

We were using the automated system to track our "available" balance, as we were told to do to avoid overdraft fees, which happen when a person only looks at the Daily Posted Balance.
We had 15 charges on 5/7/18, most of them under $8.00, some
as low as $.96. All of the debits were showing as pending or posted. At 7:30 pm, on 5/7, we put $53.00 in gas in the tank, assuming since it was the last debit that we would only be charged for one overdraft. Right before we put gas in the tank, our account still showed in the black ($1 or $2 in account)

The bank intentionally stacked the debits, and we incurred 9
overdraft fees!!! The supervisor, Stacey, tried to convince me that it was because some of the charges had been delayed, and debits could be delayed for 3 - 5 days. But according to my records, no debits were delayed, but displayed prominently.

They know what they are doing. Banks can make up to 60 percent of their revenue in overdraft fees alone. Over 90% of a bank's overdraft fees are collected against people who make less than $50, 000.00 a year. So don't even dare to suggest to me that they are not well aware of what they are doing, and will continue to do so, as long as they possibly can. Stacey,
the supervisor, obliquely told on BB&T when she told me, "When you knew you were overdrafting the account by putting gas in, that set off a chain reaction that resulted in these charges", thus telling me that essentially I had given them the permission to exact all those charges!

We must all protect ourselves with the tedious task of keeping our own running balance and hope they apply deposits and debits properly! The devil is in the details, because they always have the fine print to fall back on. However, they all know they are acting in bad faith. Some of the complaints on this board are almost unbelievable.

I have called the law firm listed in one complaint, and left a message to call me back if they are pursuing a class action law suit. If there is anything I can do to address the injustices, I intend to leave no stone un-turned.

RESOLVED

• Ha
    Hanneke Wasserman May 18, 2018

I have been with BB&T for over 20 years and have been abused by their overdraft system many time but this last one really makes me so mad I wish I knew who to contact since my branch manager had the perfect explanation as to why I was charged $36 OD. On 5/17/2018 my account balance was 161.32, I knew my car payment was coming through so on my way home at 9.25 pm I made a cash deposit through the ATM for $50.00 and got a receipt timed 9:25 pm stating available balance 211.32. I awoke on the morning of 5/18/2018 with a low balance warning, so I immediately checked my balance and it stated $8.12 I knew this was wrong so I checked my account and they posted my auto payment, the my OD charge of $36 and then stated the deposit in a pending status. I called them and was told the computer posts these items and the OD fee can not be refunded because I had an OD fee refunded in April 2017 and the computer allows only 1 refund every 2 years. I earn no more then 11, 000 a year and they don't care if they make you homeless. They took my $50 cash and they took my $36 OD fee and a million reasons why they have to be fair to every client. WTF, I am thinking if we allow computers to determine how to handle our account and no live person can intervene do you realize what will be next. BB&T as well as most banks who do the same our going to ruin all of us who make less than $50, 000 a year. I would love for someone to reply and tell me who I need to speak to next. $36 will feed me for one week and they just took my food of my table.

• Ha
    Hanneke Wasserman May 18, 2018

@Hanneke Wasserman I would like to add...if their is a lawsuit going on please add me to the list. BB&T won't even treat you with respect when you are trying to find out who to speak with in an authorized position to help you. They are rude and do not care. I was told the bank has to make money too.

• RAELYNN35 Jun 15, 2018

@Hanneke Wasserman Umm yes please let me know about the lawsuit! Hi I'm Rachael btw. But the [censored] charged me $2 for every customer service phone call I made to them...they were so rude and acted like they had no idea what was going on with the situation with the account.