BB&Taccount freezing

BB&T, without any good reason, froze my account and refuses to release it.

I sublet an apartment I had in Pennsylvania to a longtime friend. He paid his rent with an automatic online payment system. The account was with an institution based in Utah, which sent a check every week and automatically deducted the amount from his account.

Since April, I have been depositing these checks in my BB&T checking account with no problem. On Aug. 27, a teller placed a five-day hold on two of those checks, totaling $200. Later that afternoon, the branch manager called me, informing me BB&T was placing a freeze on my entire account. The bank security department believed all the checks were fraudulent and would be returned, even though they had cleared and been paid to my account. Today, Sept. 1, with my friend on the line with me, we verified with a representative of his bank that his account is in good standing, that each check was valid, and that each check was paid to BB&T.

The branch manager at BB&T said her security department was more advanced and was going through their own channels. My account will have a hold on it for at least 30 days so thier advanced department can verify what I verified in 20 minutes. Meanwhile, I have no checking account with which to pay my bills.

My friend warned me that he stopped doing business with BB&T because of their arcane rules and disregard to the need of their customers.

• Mi
    Mike Lawter Dec 22, 2011

BB&T took $110 dollars from me! I appreciate my customers; does BB&T?