Avis Budget Car Rentalcar rental

Z

I recently rented a car from dallas love field airport budget/avis, and would like to lodge a complaint regarding the conduct of the staff and the charges that were levied against me. I had booked the vehicle via priceline (for one day, starting 7/1/17), and had purchased priceline’s collision damage coverage.
Upon arriving at budget/avis at dallas love field, I was attended to by bobby (the rental car associate). The office was crowded and quite noisy, and bobby mumbled softly when he was speaking to me. He failed to explain to me what charges were listed in the rental agreement, and rushed me through the entire agreement, asking me to initial at various locations in the document without allowing me the time to read through each item, much less explain them to me. He asked me if I wanted the damage waiver and I answered that I had purchased a collision damage coverage waiver via priceline. He failed to explain to me that the damage waiver he was offering was a distinct waiver, and was offered by budget instead. Instead, he asked me to initial next to the list of charges for budget’s damage waiver, without clearly explaining that this was not the same coverage as the one I had purchased on priceline.
Bobby spent more time asking me about my job and trip, and talking to other associates behind the counter, instead of explaining the charges in the rental agreement clearly to me. Furthermore, a copy of the rental agreement was not given to me, just a budget pamphlet with my car number, model and the space it was parked in.
My car was supposed to be returned by 9am on 7/2/17. I returned the car at shortly past 8am, and showed a copy of the gas receipt to prove that I had filled the tank. I was shocked and dismayed when I received my bill for the car. Initially I was charged $135 (which included charges for filling the fuel tank, and a late charge, which were clearly inappropriate). Instead of being able to return home, I was compelled to go budget’s office to dispute these charges. While the late charge and fuel filling fee were removed, I was extremely shocked when informed that I had to pay $107.66 (this is in addition to my rental on priceline which was $38), which I was told was for the damage waiver.
The bill that I was given upon return of the car is as follows (see attached)

It is very difficult to understand the breakdown of charges and there is a lack of clarity with each charge. It was never explained to me what a “concession recovery fee”, or a “optional products/services taxable” charge is.
I am extremely disappointed and disillusioned with budget as this is practice of rushing customers through the agreement without explanation and these vague charges are very unethical, manipulative, and highly deceptive. I have rented from hertz, national, and enterprise and have never once encountered such deceptive practices. Bobby at budget spent more time talking about my job and trip to dallas instead of explaining these options. I was never given an option to decline these “optional” services/products. I was never given an explanation of each product or service. I was merely asked to initial and sign at appropriate places in a very hurried manner.
These vaguely-named charges are very unethical and take advantage of weary travelers. When I went back to question bobby, he merely said I had already signed and “there was nothing more he could do”. He did not want to discuss it, he was not willing to discuss the breakdown of charges and basically shut down the whole conversation. He told me that since I had already driven the car, there was no way of removing this charge. He put all the blame on my shoulders without taking any responsibility and without an ounce of empathy.
I am very disappointed, dissatisfied, and upset with your company, and would like this issue to be addressed to my satisfaction. I feel strongly that this $107.66 should be reimbursed to me in full because I was compelled to sign the rental agreement in a hurried manner and was deceived into believing that the damage waiver offered by budget was the same as the collision coverage I had purchased through priceline. If this issue is not addressed and resolved in a manner that I feel is just and satisfactory, I intend to lodge complaints with better business bureau, with the texas office of the attorney general, the consumer protection agency, and the dallas regional office of the attorney general. I would also strongly consider seeking the help of local media channels, including nbc 5 responds and fox on your side at kdfwfox4. Additionally, since I work for a multinational healthcare company, I will strongly advise my company against renting with your company.

I hope you will address and remedy (via refund) this situation as soon as possible. I look forward to your response. Thank you.

car rental

Marcio Ramirez Aug 04, 2017

The same thing happened to me. And in my case, I bought in advance informing the insurance that I wanted in the website. No extras. But I saw only at the time of delivery of the car, the inclusion of the extra net charge. My Voucher #: V777534203