AT&T CorporationUnacceptable late fees

M Dec 12, 2020

Billing Date: 25 Nov 2020
Account Number: [protected]

I am a client of AT&T for many years with both residential and mobile service. I am very unhappy with AT&T Mobility with their mailing of statements and posting of payments. As a person who has been a victim of identity theft 3 times in one year, I refuse to succumb to going online, printing my own bills, signing up for auto pay just to avoid the late charges and risk identity theft once again. I travel heavily for business and am not always home every day to pay the bill the day it arrives. I am home on the weekends.

The close date for my account is the 25th of the month. When I have been home, the bill is generally received around the 5th or 6th of the month with a due date of the 16th. The bill states it may take 7 days to post. Last month I paid and mailed the bill on the 11th. AT&T posted the payment on the 21st and charged a $7.00 late fee.

If the statement closes on the 25th, why does it take 10 days for me to receive the bill? If AT&T can take up to 7 days to post the payment, and they posted on the 21st, did the payment arrive at AT&T on time and they held posting only for me to incur the late fee? This is happening all too often with AT&T Mobility.

Up until recently I was able to track my AT&T residential service and never incurred late fees. Since AT&T dropped the residential service in my area, I can no longer use that as a gage for posting, however in the past the residential service was always posted 3 to 5 days sooner than AT&T mobility. It should not be the consumer's fault if AT&T Mobility cannot process their statements sooner and post their payments timely.

I firmly believe that if the due date is the 16th and they have up to 7 days to post the payment, there should not be a late fee imposed before the 23rd of the month. Also, it is the responsibility of AT&T to process their statements and get them to the clients in a timelier manner. There are some of us seniors that still believe in the system of mailed bills and paying by check and mailing the bill back.