Associated Bankchecking overdraft fees

K

My bank continues to charge me overdraft fees of $35 each time I am over drawn. While I know this is a fair practice, it seems they are being underhanded on this. I will check my balance on line, I will check my balance with the debit card, both will show I have the funds. I will withdraw the funds, and then the next day, or maybe not even until the 2nd or 3rd day, it will show up on my account as a overdraft and they will not only charge me the $35 for the over draft, but $35 for EACH over drawn I might have done during the time, and THEN charge me a CONTINUEING overdraft fee of $65 or more. I feel this is unethical, but is it also illegal? Pleae email me at bonnie.[protected]@ingenix.com

• Rj
    RJ jet Oct 24, 2009

Associated Bank has given me and my husband nothing but problems. I have had so many overdaft fees like in the other complaints I have read about. I have looked at my bank account online and have had the money for transactions, but there is something funny going on that they do to manipulate the numbers. Keep in mind that when you get gas the credit card companies that are approving them take more than what you pumped, from your account. I just checked my account today and seen that there is a continuing overdraft fee and I have carried a balance of over five hundred dollars for the past week and have had no overdrafts. I don't know what is going on, but they need to be investigated as well as other banks that practice this type of banking.

• Ju
    justmeventing Oct 28, 2009

I also have problems with this bank. I wrote 3 consecutive checks, the first 2 were for $10 each and the third was $124. Instead of taking the 2 $10 checks, which were the first in a sequence of numbers, they took the higher check causing the 2 $10 checks to bounce causing a domino effect and in the end costing me over $700 in overdraft fees. I kept my register updated and knew the last (the bigger of the 3) would bounce, and even entered it into my register with an OD fee; however, the Bank itself chose the bigger of the 3 thereby resulting in $70 I had not been prepared for...according to my register, I still had $3.93 before my last deposit, but according to the bank, I was in debt to them. I have been on the phone with several people at the bank, and the most they will refund me is $280. I have reported their improper practice to the Better Business Bureau in hopes of getting this nonsense to stop. Also, I was curious as to WHY they continued to allow me to make debit card purchases, which 90% of them were under $10 each, and they said because they allow a $500 overdraft before they start denying any debit purchases.

If you ask me, they are wrong in so many ways for allowing this. Did you know the banks are making a killing on people who go into overdraft? I saw it on the news and sure enough, I got slammed with their malpractice. I just hope the BBB can do something for me. I work hard for my money, and not to line their pockets either. I am furious about this...somethings gotta happen to make them stop.

• Fu
    futurcop04 May 16, 2010

i agree with what all of you are saying... the NSF fees and overdrafts are a joke. My girlfriend as well as myself all in one week had the same problems. mine was slightly different though. on paper it says "4 ATM transactions per month free" with advantage checking. not 4 free or 3 or whatever else they can come up with such as per cycle. everyone at Associated bank words everything different than thier customer service department and vice versa. i got my pay check through direct deposit and then paid my bills. Thier security team thought it was "suspicious activity" so they froze my account with 1.84 left in it. Now, if the activity was so suspicious why wasnt i notified? i could not get anything under that amount or equal to that amount. they then charged me 3-1.00 fees for "balance inquiries" when in reality as soon as i put my pin number in the only service i got from that ATM or Associated bank was " contact financial institution" so i called customer service to figure out why my account is frozen even after i told them to unfreeze my account i was charged these fees. so at this point im at ($1.16) in the hole.because they were ATM fees i was not charged the 35 dollars. because thats fees that compound fees for getting fees that they gave you, which i was told is illegal. nothing would tell me my balance anywhere. online, or phone service. a couple days later my vehicle insurance company tried to push something through and put me in the negative which i knew would happen. this has happened a few times and never been an issue and i always repaid the bank in a timely fashion. that im not disputing sometimes you have to pay a little extra to make ends meet. Because my account was still frozen at this time Associated bank gave a "returned service fee" of $35 then also charged a $35 NSF fee. the $35 NSF fee is a charge for them having to pay the item. Now the problem with this is my item was never paid AND THEY EVEN CHARGED ME FOR HAVING TO RETURN IT when it was thier fault they did not unlock my account prior to this incident at my own request with proper identification and passwords. so at this point they owe me 73 dollars. by the time my direct deposit comes in again it would be a total of $105 for problems they created by "trying to secure my financial stabilities and gain" stay away from this bank im getting out as soon as possible. please contact me if anyone can help R.A [email protected]

• Ka
    Katie93 Jan 22, 2013

I also had been charged four overdraft fees of 35.00 dollars a piece in the last week, of which NONE make any bit of sense when I had money in my account by checking my mobile banking app, so I got gas. Then saw three overdraft fees the next day. Worried, I called customer service and she refunded me one due to "confusion" . But couldn't explain why the other two were there, they took my whole paycheck and had no remorse that I work part time for minimum wage and try to get by every month. She told me she switched my account to overdraft protection... I got another charge two days later when a fitness club deducted their dues..I called and told them if they weren't closed on Martin Luther king day I could have deposited money for that! I told her that the lady I spoke with the othe day assured this wouldn't happen again...not worth my breath I told her ill be in today to cancel my account with the worst bank I've ever experienced, they took a total of 150 from me!