Aspen Dental - Orange, CTconsumer beware!

R Review updated:

I went to Aspen Dental looking for an extra set of upper dentures. The main reason why I went there. The dentist told me that on my lower teeth I would need 2 teeth pulled. All of a sudden they were just doing work on my lower teeth. I did not mind the Dental Hygienist doing her job, however she could not do the complete procedure & recommended I go to a Periodontist. I went to the Periodontist who then told me I do not need those teeth extracted that he can perform gum surgery on it. What upsets me the most I applied for the CareCredit and was approved, BUT Aspen Dental submitted charges to the CareCredit for services that were not rendered. For instance the extractions. They also knew of my appointment & at the request of the Periodontist asked for the xrays to be sent to him so I would not have to be xrayed again. Aspen Dental had never sent those xrays to the Periodontist, so needless to say I had to get more xrays done on the teeth they were going to extract.

1. They charge CareCredit in advance for work before it is done. In other words they charge for services not rendered.
a) pay for an electric toothbrush by just giving it to you as part of the visit & not asking if you would like to purchase the item. $125.00 for that. I have an electric toothbrush I am very happy with. So this company sells a bunch of goods without consent of the patient (me).
b) An extraction $229.00.
c) Incomplete work from the Dental Hygenist because she told she couldn't do the deep cleaning because of my gum infection & recommended the Periodontist. Hygenist charges were $376.00 which should be less because she could not complete & suggested I see a periodontist.
2. They didn't send the xrays to the periodontists, therefore made me have to go for more unnecessary treatment.
3. Kept me in a dental chair for over an hour without acknowledgment.

I was not happy with the way I was treated as a human being. Aspen Dental seemed more corporate instead of a dental health facility. It seems to me it is a money making scam to charge for services before the services were even done.

I am working on to get credit from Aspen to the CareCredit for only services rendered & not to pay for the toothbrush that I did not ask for, especially I have an electric toothbrush that I am happy with.

They are very misleading. BUYER BEWARE!!! CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

Rita.

• Updated by Catherine Chapel · Oct 10, 2017

Cannot wear denture doesn't fit right also have a sore which I call a bubble. I am getting phone calls 3 to 5 times a day 7 days a week recorded message .I refuse to pay for something I can't wear

• Updated by Catherine Chapel · Oct 10, 2017

The denture does not fit right can only keep them w/paste for a few hours then I have to take them out or they come loose and fall out. They have also have formed a sore in my mouth which describe as a bubble. I refuse to pay for something that I cannot wear and not able to eat with. I cannot enjoy a lot of foods that I use to enjoy

• Updated by Vivian Catt · Feb 23, 2018

I really hope Aspen will do the right thing and reimburse my money. This denture is not worth paying for.

• Co
    Courtney Gold Oct 31, 2006

I went to the Aspen Dental office in Stratford last night. I had a coupon for free xrays and a new patient exam. The dentist said I should get one tooth capped, and to watch 2 teeth because they might turn into cavities, nothing else. I'm 24 and I brush and floss daily.

Then, without the dentist or assistant leaving the area, they direct me to the receptionist who shows me a piece of paper with a $579 amount on it. Suddenly she's telling me that because of the state of my gums (which the dentist didn't say ANYTHING about) I need a special "under the gum" cleaning, and should come every 3 months for a regular cleaning instead of 6. The amount included the special cleaning, one of the 3 month follow-up cleanings, and that special tooth brush you're talking about!

I didn't sign anything and I'm really upset that they didn't say anything was wrong, then they seem to be reccomending "scaling" it sounds like. They did a very quick check of my teeth (didn't check the gum pockets), didn't tell me the condition of my gums, then told me I'd need an expensive cleaning? Ridiculous!

My husband has an appointment next week, but we're DEFINATELY not going back!

Margaret Aldridge Nov 10, 2006

Can a dental hygienist be in an office in Fl seeing patients , cleaning teeth, xray, without the supervision of a DDS. He was out of the office. Wondering what is the standard?!

Debbie DeNardis Jan 23, 2007

I went to Aspen dental and they did an extraction of my eye tooth that could have been saved. I was in the chair for 6 hours for this and they charged me on my credit care card for work that was not completed.

I ended up having to have a very painful bone graph and will have to have another one in April. They did not recognize that this was caused from the Aspen dental. She took off so much bone that 2 teeth surrounding the area are also loose. They want to charge me to have those fixed.

Can not find a dentist that will testify against Aspen. They are really really a poor excuse for a dentist!!!!

Debbie

• Ca
    Cassie Mar 31, 2007

I agree, I got scammed for the toothbrush as well and since I refuse to pay for it I can't make another appointment there. This happens to be a problem because my pulp was damaged in the botch job of a filling that was done 7 months ago and I am in extreme pain. My new filling was never contoured to match the bite on my other teeth as well, and this has led to grinding of my teeth at night. I have gone to a different dentist, but still need my xrays and other files from Aspen before I can continue at the new dentist. Of course, this is a pain to get from them. Aspen in Albany, NY was good to me, but Tonawanda, NY is the WORST!!!

Robert Clark Jun 25, 2007

I Absolutely agree Aspen is a Poor excuse for a Dental Office. I had to have all my teeth extracted ,I have know they were going for a couple years. so i fell into Care Credit and Aspen. Definitely my worse mistake. I set through the pulling of 22 teeth both upper and lowers ( They billed me for 24), I counted them during the week prior to the extractions. I was on Penicillin for an abscess I guess. I got the immediate dentures ( Yeah Right) I was able to wear the tops ( Barely). I had a couple of nasty bone spurs on top, a hole in the bone where my eye teeth were drilled out and the dentist got a little too happy with the drill.I went to see their Oral surgeon he advised me that i needed to have all four quadrants done( at The cost of 1,000.00). I finally complained enough ( after several calls to Aspen Corporate, What a Joke I could get no one at first ) they promised a call back finally after several calls and 3 manager levels later i finally got a person) I went back to another dentist of tiers he helped some removed 3 or 4 spurs and did a realigning of my plates. I can wear them now but I still cant eat at all with them. I now look like a chimp due to my plates being too far forward due to the realigning. So tomorrow we get back to the phone and try for a couple layers higher in management I need new plates these will never work correctly I can't even bite soft cookies due to them flopping around in my mouth. I could go on even deeper but I'm tired of typing, so wish me luck and at all cost avoid Aspen Dental.

• Di
    diane michael Jul 20, 2007

Yes, I feel they scam the public. Most people obviously don't see it. If they did,the company would be out of business. I can't solve my problem with them either as yet. They have not completed my work, yet they took the whole amount of money instead of the 60% up front, using Care Credit. That was a year ago. I'm not happy with partial dentures they practically forced me to buy, with one of their scam packages and they refuse to acknowledge poor workmanship and want to charge me the original price, not the package price, so they won't have to lose the money they took from me. I am reporting them to the Attorney General of my state, and considering consumer protection mediation. SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT ASPEN DENTAL!!!

• Ga
    Gay Ewing Aug 02, 2007

I am going to one Aspen Dental Glastonbury, CT, and they are charging me $4,500 and I now have a partial and two teeth removed some cavities to be filled and they are now cleaning my teeth two times, before giving my fillings!!! Last time they cancelled my appointment after I walked in and I am not happy and I have no "paper trail" nothing to show what work has been done, I want a full printout of what is being done and what charges are made Help me!! My new phone number is (860) 216-0923

Margo Blake Aug 02, 2007

My husband and I signed up as new patients with Aspen Dental in Fairfield (our previous dentist no longer accepts our HMO). I should have known something was wrong when I made the appointments.

I asked to make appointments for our regular cleanings and xrays. We were told that on our first visit we would have xrays taken but the cleanings would have to be scheduled for another appointment. Apparently the dentist needs to evaluate our current dental situation and recommend the type of cleaning to perform (didn't know there were options). So my husband went to his first appointment last night. They took a ton of xrays, and the dentist told him he looks to be in good shape. When he went to the receptionist to make his appointment for the cleaning, she told him he will need the "deep cleaning", of which $120 is not covered with our insurance. My husband said, no thanks, I'll just take the normal cleaning to which the receptionist said she could not set it up as the dentist had specified the "deep cleaning". She acted like a used car salesman trying to negotiate with my husband. For a dental cleaning??? We are not familiar with a deep cleaning nor was he told what the benefits of this procedure is. All he knew is that he would be paying $12o out of pocket for a cleaning that he has never been told to have in the past (we go to the dentist regularly and are 40 somethings).

He would not leave until the receptionist agreed to set him up for a regular cleaning. I myself plan to switch to a new dentist and avoid this pain altogether.

After reading the other comments I can see that clearly we have gotten off easy. I am sure Aspen will try some kind of bait and switch with my husband on his return trip. At least he is ready for it and will be sure not to let them sell him unnecessary services.

Janice Campbell Aug 29, 2007

I completely agree with the sentiment that Aspen Dental is a high-pressure sales vehicle NOT a reputable dental practice. I took my son to the new Aspen dental office in Robinson, PA. He is five years old and this was his first dentist visit, which I fully explained to the receptionist who set up his appointment. I called to get an appointment for him only but the receptionist said that I should get my teeth checked also so that he could see me do it first and wouldn't be as nervous. I agreed and we got two appointments back to back.

We arrived 15 minutes before our appointments were scheduled to make sure our insurance information was in order. We proceeded to wait in the lobby for 45 minutes before I was called in for my x-rays. I have never had so many dental x-rays taken for a routine check-up in my life. Not even when I had two root canals after an injury!

20 minutes later my x-rays were done and they called my son in for his. Now, this five year old boy has been sitting in the waiting room with his father for over an hour fretting about his first dental experience! OVER AN HOUR is an incredibly long time for a nervous five year old.

The doctor wanted to get bite-wing x-rays on him but the technician said she would only do a pan x-ray because he was too little to tolerate the bite-wings. Thank god for that technician! She proceeded to do the pan x-ray but their equipment was not adjustable for children and my son had to stand on a box to be high enough for the machine. He was petrified, but the technician was very personable and helped to put him at ease.

Then, we were taken to the exam area. The dentist came into the area, did not introduce herself, and said, "I'll do him first" pointing to my son. Now, the only reason I made an appointment for myself was so that he could see me do it first so he wouldn't be scared! She didn't even address him as a human being, didn't extend her hand to shake his, didn't try to put him at ease in any way. Luckily, he was sitting on my lap during the whole thing so he did OK.
    Then, the doctor started to look at my teeth. Now, I knew I would need some work, especially since one of my molars had cracked the night before at dinner, but the laundry list of work that they came up with was astounding! They recommended the deep cleaning procedure after telling me that my gum disease was so bad I was going to start loosing bone and teeth very soon. My gums don't even bleed when I brush my teeth how could the gum disease be that advanced?!?! They said that one of my teeth that was cracked and fixed over 10 years ago was going to need a crown. WHY? it doesn't bother me. My teeth crack because I clench and grind, have all my life. They identified four other teeth that needed fillings but didn't point those out on the x-rays. They finally dealt with the cracked molar and said it would also need a crown.
    We were then sent to the "financial consultant" who proceeded to lay out this laundry list of treatments and explained the deep cleaning process, claiming that it wasn't really all that painful. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! They take an instrument and clean down between your gums and your teeth, irrigate it and then put antiobiotic in there and that's not really all that painful?!?! I've talked to people who have had this scaling done and they've said it is painful, but worth it if you have advanced disease. Why would they lie about the degree of pain! I'm an adult, if it is going to hurt, tell me. Childbirth hurt, I knew it would, I was prepared, I'm over it.

The financial consultant called me today to let me know how much my treatments would cost me. I've tried to call her back three times now and the line is constantly busy. I can't even get someone on the phone to tell them "Thanks, but no thanks, I'm getting a second opinion. And, they will never touch my son's teeth again.

Bottom line, this place is a cattle call, no human touch, the doctor had no personality, the receptionist got snippy with my husband when he complained about the interminable wait. AVOID ASPEN DENTAL!

Jacqueline P DiCrasto Sep 05, 2007

I have not finished at aspen yet, but if I had any inkling of how my experience with them would be I would back out now if I was not as far as I am with my treatment. Everytime I go I have a wait 45 min to an hour. My last visit I told the manager I was feeling a little apprehensive and he said in a nasty tone, don't think you are going to have these done and not be satisfied because the color is off, I am not that vain, I told him my main concern is the fit because I did not get a good feeling as these people were working on my teeth. Today 9/5/07 I went to my appt. at 9AM, waited again for a half hour, then when I am called into the back the tech asks me why I am there, I tell her to get my teeth put in, she said no, your appt is 9/12/07 because it takes 12 days to get them back from the lab, I show her my card with 9/5/07 at 9AM well she says sorry but someone made a mistake . I am upset with aspen dental ,the only positive is the receptionist there, very friendly and respectful to the clients, everyone else, thumbs down. I will also be contacting the better business bureau and my dental insurance with my experience there.

Jackie.

• Hi
    Hillary Balestre Sep 06, 2007

For the first time, I went to Aspen dental out of convenience for a cleaning. Supposedly the exam and x rays are free. The cleaning was quoted at $50. I got a filling for $100 + $39 for the white filling. They wanted me to have mouth cancer screening that adds another $98 onto the bill, even though I am not at risk. I declined. They make you wash with a fluoride treatment, which is a hidden fee of around $47.

I will not be back!!!

DEBRA RASMUSSEN Sep 11, 2007

I went to aspen dental in stratford. I needed a new upper plate so i went to my appointment and was called into the office a half an hour later where they argued with me that i needed x-rays - good thing i had a coupon. I was put in the chair in a little room and the door closed. The dentist came in 20 minutes after i got up and opened the door. She introduced herself and couldn't even bother to remove her mask!!! She looked at my x-rays and said that i should have the remaining tooth on top pulled. Any dentist that wants to pull a good tooth is crazy. I told her it was staying!!! She proceeded to tell me that she could still do the denture for me. She then sent me to see the office manager to set up the appointments and the office manager told me they wouldn't do the plate unless i had the tooth pulled, the dentist just told me she could. I then complained about the amount of time i had to wait and she said some employees were on vacation... Shouldn't they allow for this when setting up appointments, needless to say i walked out of there one and a half hours later with nothing. I called customer relations and told them this story and what i thought of their business!!! She set me up with an appointment in the orange office and i was taken care of there. Dr. Lipton was very nice and greeted me without a mask!!! All of my appointments went well except for the final one. They called to reschedule and said the lab had not completed the plate, it would be ready a week later. That was on september 7th.the plate was fine and i was happy. The staff in orange was much nicer than stratford. I don't think i would recommend aspen to anyone after seeing what they're all about. I guess i was lucky knowing what i wanted when i went in...

Debbie

roxene pugh Sep 11, 2007

This dental service is nothing more than a scam. They quote you a price talk you into work that could be avoided and then tell you what your dental insurance will cover, and offer you a care credit card to pick up the balance. I did so believing all would be paid in full prior to my dental work. 3 month later i receive a bill for 687.00 and call to see why and they tell me i owe a balance that they lied and told me my insurance would cover.

IN TOTAL I WAS CHARGED DOUBLE OF WHAT THIS WORK SHOULD HAVE COST. PLEASE ANYONE READING THIS DON'T BE PULLED IN BY A FAST TALKING MONEY ORIENTED DENTAL SERVICE. I HOPE A CLASS ACTION SUIT WILL BE FILED SOON.

• Da
    David Hou Sep 12, 2007

This is a profit oriented dental service company. I went in for a routine check up and cleaning. I was taken aback by how many staff they hire. There are two just for financial consultation alone! No, I can't get my cleaning on the same trip they said. After X-rays and doctor examination, I was ushered to a financial consultant who explained to me an estimate of procedures that needed to be done. I was sticker shocked (the quote was to the tune of $1,500). I said I didn't budget that much money for this year. She then said one procedure can be deferred till next year. I was still hesitant and suspecious why I would need deep cleaning and how much I have to pay out of pocket for it. She then said she can take out the electric tooth brush, but I won't be able to buy it later if I decline now. All of a sudden the red light lit up in me . First, I wasn't told I'd be buying a $130 electric tooth brush; second, isn't it a familiar sales tactic to be told I have to decide then and there or I'll loose my chance. Immediately, I lost all my trust and couldn't wait to leave.

After reading some of the complaints here, especially about how they try to convince you to get deep cleaning when none of us were ever told it's necessary before seeing Aspen Dental, I can't but conclude that my experience is not an isolated one, but this type of scam tactic is practiced throughout the Aspen Dental network. Be aware! Unless you know exactly what you want done, don't go there!

• Jh
    J H Sep 12, 2007

I began as a patient at Aspen Dental in Portsmouth, NH a few months ago when I was looking for a dentist closer to home and made my first appointment for a consultation. I had never seen the office before and was horrified when I drove up to the building with signs in the front window, such as “Walk-ins welcome” and I just had a bad feeling about the place and as it turns out I was right. I went through with the consultation and it TOOK A TOTAL OF TWO HOURS as I was left waiting half of the time because no one seemed to be organized. As completely ridicules as that was I actually made another appointment for a cleaning and filling which I had to reschedule TWICE because the receptionist was too ignorant to schedule the two together so I had to play musical chairs. I went back on August 29th for the appointment; I have absolutely NO complaints about the dental hygienist that cleaned my teeth and actually learned some valuable information from her but the filling was a different story. The dentist and dental hygienist were completely unprofessional and made me feel very uncomfortable. I have had 2-3 small fillings before that went well so I knew what I was in for. Surprise, surprise this was a mess as well. The dental hygienist seemed like she had no idea what she was doing and was getting water all over my glasses and shirt, making a mess. The dentist tried giving me the Novocain in such a barbaric way that my body went into hot and cold chills and I felt like rubber; he waited approximately a mere three minutes before checking to see if it had kicked in and when it hadn’t he gave me another shot of Novocain. He waited another 3-4 minutes until he started drilling and IT HAD NOT FULLY KICKED IN YET and I was in so much pain I thought I was going to rip the chair with my hand that was gripping it. As I was leaving the appointment the Novocain finally kicked in, how perfect. After the appointment the tooth I had the filling in began bothering me and just yesterday I was receiving shooting pains every time I tried eating and that has NEVER happened with my other fillings. I was worried and went back in today, had an X-ray and was made to feel like a fool by the other dentist I saw and was told “not to eat hard crackers because they are not good for your teeth.” WHAT?! I was told there was nothing wrong and was left in the chair until the dentist finally decided to tell me I could leave. It was awful so I called a new dentist, made an appointment, requested my x-rays from Aspen Dental and cancelled my next appointment-I AM NEVER EVER GOING BACK to that joke of a dental office!

Mary Ferguson Sep 17, 2007

I have had a similar experience to Roxann's.
    I had been using Aspen for a few years. They had always accepted both my insurance and my discount plan. When my daughter needed over $3,000 worth of treatment, they said it would come to $990. After the treatment they told me my discount plan could not be used. I called the discount plan to find out why they were not paying and they said they are willing to give the usual coverage. When I told them my dentist said I could not use the plan, the discount advisor said that that was a decision made in Aspen's office not theirs. In other words, rather than give me the discount I was entitled to AND had been receiving prior to this, Aspen denied me the use of my discount solely at their discretion.
    They just sent me a bill for $1,400 after I already paid $1,000 out of pocket and my insurer has paid about $500 as well.

I would be interested in taking legal action or at least publicizing the deceptive practices of Aspen dental.
    Please let me know if you are interested. Reading the other entries on this site makes me think they are getting away with all kinds of unethical and fraudulent practices.
    Mary

no mas Aspen Sep 27, 2007

Add me to the first class action suit against Aspen Dental. I got a quote for 3948.00 discounted to 2477.00 then covered by care credit 1471.00. When I looked at my statements from Delta dental to see what they were actually billing for I found out they were billing for a partial plate that was supposed to be covered in the 1471.00. I called and the salesperson says right, we are going to need MORE MONEY. I told her to take off the deep cleanings that she never even explained to me. She said there would be enough to cover the partial with thatcancelled. I also received horrific care there too. The x-ray lady kept demanding , not asking, for me to move. The female doctor was all bizness. She did two fillings. One left me with a chipped tooth. She said nothing about it. I got home and felt it with my tongue. Then she did two extractions. I have had several extractions and these were the most painful I have ever felt. In pain for more than a week. I could not even wear the temporary denture they made. I next got a root canal and cap. That was done well by another Dr who filled in for the female dentist. The cap comes in and they put it in. The partial plate that I wear does not fit over the crown so the dentist wants to cut off the wires that hold my upper plate in place. I say whoa. Then I let her grind down some of the pontics on these partial teeth. Now they do not fit over the crown so I have to use poli-grip on my upper and lower dentures. They said i would get a lower plate In January 2008. I am disgusted to the max. If you are a lawyer reading this call me 724-266-7994 By the way this was Aspen Dental in Monaca, Pa.t at the Beaver Valley Mall

Christine Sep 28, 2007

I have been going to Aspen dental in Belle Vernon, PA for a little over a year now. I had teeth pulled in Aug of 2006, they gave me temp partials and were supposed to make the permanent ones within 3 months. Within that 3 months I had to have another tooth pulled, they left this tooth in because they said it could be fixed by just a filling. When the old filling was drilled out the dentist says I don't know if this is going to work then asks me if I would like a while filling instead of silver.....it will only cost me $80 after my insurance pays their part. After hearing that it probably won't work I say no right away and they keep trying to push it on me. A few weeks later the tooth had to be pulled, but this time they have an oral surgeon pull it instead of the dentist so it costs me $40 instead of $5. Now I can't use my upper partial because the tooth that held it in is gone. I am a grinder/clencher and chipped a few front teeth which they filled, I ground out the fillings so many times that the insurance refused to pay anymore. Now they say I should get the 2 teeth crowned it will only cost me $720 for both, I said go ahead because I needed them fixed and I couldn't switch dentists yet(still waiting for them to do my impressions for my partials). The crowns come in and 1 is messed up so it needs to be sent back and remade, 7 to 10 more days with a temp crown that looks like crap. I get the final crown and as soon as it is set I say I need an appointment for my impressions asap, I wonder if they would have ever said to schedule an appointment for my impressions. I finally got my partials about a week and a half ago, the bottom fits fine after a few adjustments, but the top still doesn't fit well and I am not even sure they can make it fit. My second crown has come off and when I went to have it cemented back on there was a different dentist because the regular one was away on a family thing. The fill in dentist says it will need a post to hold it in better and it should be done as soon as possible, I just let out a sigh because I am wondering how much is this going to cost me. The dental assistant says the regular dentist will be back next week and I should wait and see him to see what he suggests. My crown is just sitting in there lose and I can only eat soft foods so I don't knock it out and bite it and possibly break it or another tooth or even swallow it.

I am going to get a copy of my treatments and what I paid for since none of my receipts say what was done, I know my treatment plan included a deep cleaning and I don't remember if I refused it or paid for it. I know now that I didn't have it done thanks to you guys describing what it is. I remember coming home and telling my husband it was just like any other cleaning I have had. As soon as my partials are fit and my crown is fixed I am so out of there, I can't switch dentists in the middle of treatment. Aspen probably knows this and that’s why they didn't get me my partials sooner. I will do some research on the next dentist that I choose.

no mas Aspen Sep 28, 2007

Anyone in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area go to this local call for action line. We may get an on-air investigation by the media...... http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/call4action/1123843/detail.html

• Da
    Dan Olive Sep 28, 2007

Thank you all for your comments.
    I was just about to set up an appointment with Aspen Dental because they have an office right next to where I work.
    I moved 2 years ago and have been traveling 2 hours each way to continue with my current Dentist.
    I thought it would be a good idea to switch to a closer Dentist.
    But after reading your comments, I think I would have to be crazy to try and save a few hours once in awhile, just to end up with a bad Dentist.
    I am happy with my current Dentist, and like they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    THANKS AGAIN

• Ti
    Tina Byrd Oct 07, 2007

IM HORRIFIED!!! I was getting ready to look into useing the new aspen dental we have here in Richmond, Indiana GEE Im glad I didnt after reading all of this. I would rather have my teeth fall out than deal with crud like that! I was under the immpression that they were cheaper than a regular dentist......I have never heard of such high prices or such poor practices in my life. Thanks for all the info people and I hope you sue them and give them what they got coming. People shouldnt have to spend their life savings to have pretty teeth. What is the world coming to? Is this all people can think of is money. What about being people and loving life for what it is and being good to one another. I dont hate people so I wont say it, but come on . Thanks again....and Good luck to all of you.

Robert MacDonald Oct 12, 2007

I had my upper teeth (5) extracted and a partial discarded to make room for a full upper plate. Some of these complaints about Aspen really hit home. I also had one extracted from the bottom. Right now I'm in pain and unable to eat solid food. I am so far along with my temporary plate installed and a permanent plate due in six months. They extracted both wisdom teeth and one has a part of a tooth still there. Well, I found out that they billed Care Credit for the whole job, up front, before they even started so I'm faced with seeing it through and can't just switch. The whole dental operation is run like a movie from the Keystone Cops. No one seems to know what's going on from one appointment to the other. When I went in for the extractions I thought I was set up to have No2 and a drip because I was having so many out that day. "Oh," the financial person said, " we didn't know you wanted sedation, that will cost an extra $430 on top of the $3200." I now realize that I should have visited this sit first. Once out of there I won't ever go back!

• S
    S Oct 17, 2007

Aspen Dental s*cks.

I went to the Aspen Dental in Richland, PA yesterday afternoon. I was having problems wit my wisdom tooth (as in, singular, only one... we'll get into this later) and figured that a free consultation and x-rays couldn't hurt... I had assumed that because of this upfront free offer that the actual work would be a little bit more expensive than just going to my normal dentist but I don't have dental insurance and they offered financing so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Well, I get in there, things seem to be going well, only sitting int eh waiting room for about a half an hour. I get called back to get x-rays...things still seem pretty good. I get ushered back to the room to await the dentist. He starts going looking in my mouth. Says I need to have all my wisdom teeth out, the one thats bothering me is infected and they're all going to be so they all need to come out. Actually, I don't have any problems with the rest of my wisdom teeth. The bottom left is infected and the bottom right is still right at the gum line and yeah, I think, I can understand why he'd want that one to come out ... but the tops? Okay, whatever.

He says I need to have a root canal and have an abscess underneath that he says he's going to get me a prescription for some antibiotics to take care of it... which should also help the infection in my wisdom tooth. He says that my gums are bleeding and I'm going to need a deep cleaning (there it is, the dreaded "deep cleaning") since I hadn't been to the dentist in a few years. Seriously, I could use the cleaning but my gums aren't bleeding...I think I would have noticed that. And he finishes by saying that I need two fillings, I didn't realize this, there are no marks on my teeth and no pain or anything but he's talking like I need it done right now. I kind of expected most of it though, sounds pretty normal.

So I get ushered over to an office to talk to a financial consultant, here I start to get a little uneasy. My bill comes to $3,417. The deep cleaning alone is over $450 and when I ask if I could just get it done later the woman tells me that I'm going to have periodontal disease and my teeth will fall out. Total scare tactics...thats pretty much when I decided to get out of there as soon as I could.

The root canal would be over 1,000 and the wisdom tooth extraction was well over 800 (for all four, that I didn't even need -or want- out). This is crazy, but she says, I'll try to get you onto the credit plan. She takes my information and says that the credit will only cover 2000 of the cost and I'd have to pay almost 1500 out of pocket, which I can't actually afford. So she started breaking things down like a new car salesman... well, you can have these things that will be covered or you can have these... blah blah blah... I could have afforded to get the wisdom teeth out and the root canal but they insist on that stupid cleaning and I can't seem to get out of it. So she said that they could get me in to do some of the work today but as far as the wisdom teeth were concerned I'd have to wait until mid-November until the Oral Surgeon comes back in to get them out. So I said I'd go home and think about it and get back to them. She told me that they wouldn't be able to get me in again until like next week but I didn't care, I was ready to run at that point. She finally let me go and as I walked out through the waiting room to go home the people sitting there stared at me like I was an idiot because the waiting area, the nurses station and the financial consultation room are all near each other and you can hear most of what goes on in any of them.

This place definitely seemed like a scam, I'm glad I didn't go through with it. I'd say avoid them if you can.

• Ke
    Kenya L. Lee Oct 17, 2007

I'm telling you, this is nothing but an act of God. I am in the process of switching dentist and I came across Aspen Dental and had set up an appointment for my son and I. How ironic my son missed both his appointments and was re-scheduled for 5 pm TODAY! My mom was going to take him for me and when she went yesterday (she thought his appointment was at 4 pm and it was really 330) so they gave her papers for me to fill out that I forgot at home this morning. I pulled up this sight by accident as I was trying to find the phone number to call and and have them fax me a copy of the papers that i need to fill out.

WELL GUESS WHAT, I'M GOING TO CALL, BUT IT IS NOT GOING TO BE SO THAT I CAN HAVE THEM FAX ME PAPERS IT IS GOING TO BE SO I CAN CANCEL BOTH MY AND MY SON'S APPOINTMENTS!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Robert MacDonald Oct 17, 2007

Kenya, I wish I had waited to read all these comments before I scheduled my appointments but like a few others they got me and I can't change now, too far along. I just got a statement from their office in NY with the charges to date along with each item. As it stands now, they've got me close to $4,000 and Lord knows what else they'll tack on. They talk affordable but I don't think anyone gets out of that place in one piece! When I went in for the actual extractions they couldn't find the x-rays they took the previous visit and were getting me set to have them done all over again until one of the many people finally found my records. You'd think that 6 extractions would be 6 extractions and that would be it but no , they have the six extractions at $265 ea., a extract surgical Resid root at $345, two Alveo per Quad w/exts at $249 ea., nitrous oxide $90, IV sedation $340. I have to find out what this alveo thing is all about but all I know is that I still have a hunk of tooth still in the extracted area and I now fear they'll come up with further "Alveos" to get that piece out. They even put my bottom partial in over a hunk of filling. I wondered why that hurt so much. They seem to run the place like an assembly factory. Lots of staff running around looking busy but no one seems to know what to do next.

Mac

Robert Francis Oct 19, 2007

I just wouldn't pay. Dispute the charges and refuse to pay them. This place is a chop-shop doing lots of unnecessary procedures to make lots of money.

My brother, just today, got 2 wisdom teeth pulled. They weren't hurting him at all but they told him that he should probably get them removed after going to a cleaning.

He figured cause he has good health insurance and dental insurance that he should have them removed now.

He woke up in the middle of the operation to the feeling of them smashing the 2nd tooth apart and pulling the chunks out. The first tooth area doesn't hurt he said but the other side, in which he woke during its extraction, still hurts.

Who knows if they f'd something up or not.

To top it off when he got there they told him that the operation was more complicated than they thought and instead of having to pay $75 himself, he has to pay over $500.

I wish I had did some research on the company before driving him there.

It just goes to show you, never trust nobody, always get 2nd opinions and 3rd opinions.

I am going to urge him not to pay over the original $75 and get his follow up visit at an actual oral surgeon.

Robert MacDonald Oct 27, 2007

I had 5 teeth and a partial removed and replaced by a full upper plate. I ended up going back for a special pad they put under the plate to better conform to the upper roof of the mouth. This works fine except There was a piece of tooth coming from one of the extraction site. (a back wisdom tooth). I made an appointment to go back and have the dentist look at it and he tells me it's part of the jaw bone. It's miserable cause I still can't chew on the side. I've been hurting with this for two weeks and tonight, in desperation, I reach my finger in and pulled a chunk of tooth out, the so called jaw bone! I'm saving the piece So he'll know what a tooth fragment looks like.

Mac

• Lo
    Louise Smith Oct 31, 2007

I've been going to my local Aspen Dental in Hamden, CT. for quite some time.

I, also, went for the CareCredit plan, to the tune of 2 or 3 thousand, I guess. I'm having that ongoing deep cleaning done, and was given that special electric toothbrush as well.

2 Major (to me) complaints:

1) They once lost my file for weeks or months (can't recall which), and kept Insisting that I had last gone to their New Britain (?) office (not sure of the town they claimed, but it's far away from me), which I'd never even known Existed!! Finally someone there found my file - a staff had shoved it inside another file, or something. To me, this was very unprofessional - isn't all this stuff recorded in their computer system, anyway?? Do they really Need to have such an Antiquated system of business??! It's obviously Far from foolproof!

2) Since my whole long, expensive plan w/ Care Credit began, they have already canceled appointments on me TWICE!! And with No Explanation!!! I work full time - some really crazy and long hours much of the time. It is often Extremely hard to squeeze yet Another appointment into my overly busy schedule. So, this has been the Icing on the Cake. And since I'm hooked into that pre-planned CareCredit thing and I need a molar crown (tooth has already been prepared for it w/ a temporary cover), I don't see how I can cut them loose and find a better dental care provider. I'm a little afraid to complain to them, as things could get even Worse - they could refuse to make sure their dentalwork is painless, for example.

Debra Nov 06, 2007

DON'T GO TO ASPEN!!! THEY ARE LIARS AND THE PRACTICE IS DECEITFUL. They told me $400.00 to replace my mother's dentures, after she was in the chair it turned in to $3000.00. I had to pay the $400.00 for the Temporary but can used as Permant (whatever that means) because I was too embarrassed to tell my mother and this was a gift for her.

So now I will have to get these so called temporary plates and then pay a real dentist to make her truly permanent ones.
    This was the Norwalk Office... I agree BUYER BEWARE... Aspen was meant for those who are desperate because they dont have a lot of money and no dental insurance then they wham you and your stuck. They pray on the hardship of people.

no mas Aspen Nov 14, 2007

I have just registered my complain with the Pennsylvania Attorney Generals Office (Health Care Division) I would advise anyone in Pa to do the same http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/complaints.aspx?id=451#

john parenteau Nov 19, 2007

I went to Aspen Dental about 1 year ago, because i was told they are good. If i could remember who told me this, i would shoot them. because Aspen Dental are true ###. they are rude, uncaring, unprofessional. A dentist from the 17 hundreds know more about quality and care than their whole corporation put together. I went to see them to have seven bottom teeth removed, and a bottom denture built, and to have my upper denture replaced.when i had the seven bottom teeth removed, the dentist had did it, was a real true butcher, wouldn't be a bit surprised if he didn't have a drinking problem. After a year going by, and four sets of dentures later, I have finally got my uppers that work, which makes number five. Putting my trust in these people was a big mistake. On November 12, 2007, I go back to them trying to get the work I started with them almost a year ago i am told, for my bottom denture to work, i should have 4 implants installed for my denture to work correctly. So, like an ###, I believed this line of ### again. So on the 15th of November 2007, i returned to have my implants installed. I get in the dentist's chair, and the dentist does a four-dot impression on my gums, for where the holes will have to be drilled for my denture. Then, the dentist tells his helper that I have to have X-rays done before the implants are installed. So, I have the X-rays done, I sit back in the chair. The doctor looks at the X-rays, and realizes, that something went wrong, and they did not come out. He starts applying Novocaine to my gums, now I know i am in trouble. He starts to drill 4 holes into the bone structure of my lower jaw, without even knowing where he is even going, because he has no X-rays. Two of the implants, seem to be ok, the third is at a 40 degree angle, the fourth one, there is just a hole, the pain was to great on the attempt of installing it. Now i thought i had problems with chewing food without bottom teeth, you should try chewing food, with quarter inch pins sticking out of your gums, impossible. Now take a guess what this cost has coasted my family. A whopping 7,500 dollars, and i am still without bottom teeth.

Yours truly,
    John.

cheryl sousa Nov 23, 2007

I am so relieved by reading all of your comments. I am a woman in my 30s, very healthy, and people often compliment me on my smile. I have never had any serious dental problems before going to Aspen. I started going to Aspen Dental in Hamden CT in 2005. The hygienist told me that my gums were slightly loose and that she suspected I was "low-carb dieting." She encouraged me to stop this for my gum health, so I listened. I am now 20 pounds heavier. To my complete shock, this summer (July 2007) Aspen told me I now have periodontal disease and am suffering from severe bone loss. Since I wasn't experiencing any pain or swelling, my teeth look great, and I had never been diagnosed with gingivitis which typically precedes this, I was beside myself with shock as well as anxiety. The office manager Mr. Sean Williams then told me that I would need to pay over $ 1,000 out of pocket because my insurance would only cover 50%. He said I needed deep cleanings and antibiotic injections. At this point I burst into tears because I knew I could not afford this. His response was completely inhumane and callous, which caused even greater discomfort for me. Finally, I agreed to break the treatment into two payments and they would do half the mouth at each session. I have had one side of the mouth done. My attempts to get the other side done have been difficult. I came for one session, took the day off from work, and they had me wait in the waiting room for half an hour before telling me that they did not have enough staff to do the work that day. I re-scheduled, and called this morning to confirm my appointment time for 9:30. When I arrived Mr. Williams told me my appointment was at 9:00 and rudely turned me away. When I asked for his name, he handed me his card and said, "Let me make it easy for you!" Well, Mr. Williams, now I know why you so confidently treated me with insincerity and disrespect. From the comments on this website, it's obvious that the entire corporation supports you in this conduct. Anyways, thanks for the expensive toothbrush. I will use it religiously... to prevent the need to be seen by your office any further! (Incidentally, the one hygienist there who was actually nice is no longer working there. Good for her!)

• Go
    Gotly Boned Nov 25, 2007

Aspen ; like most dental offices sell unneeded services. They delay treatments and schedule more appointment than needed. Call you state's attorney general and complain. It will be of no use but try anyway. Maybe after enough complaints they will be forced out of business.

• Am
    Amy Rivers Dec 08, 2007

I guess I am confused as to why all of you are complaining. Take responsibility and do not sign something unless you agree to the terms. Are we adults here? If you have had all your teeth extracted or you need deep cleanings, I think you probably should have taken a little better care of your mouth. If you do not agree with your treatment plan, than do not return to the office. It is that simple!

I have been a patient at Aspen Dental for two years. My 5 year old daughter had her first appointment two weeks ago. She was so scared. The hygienist was great. She was very kind with her and even gave her a DORA sticker when she was done. I went up front and the receptionist and office manager were both very friendly. They put on cartoons while we waited, which was only 15 minutes. I love Aspen Dental and would recommend it to everyone.

Do not sign up for payment plans if you do not want them. If you cannot afford to get your dental work done, whose fault is that? Take some responsibility for your own actions!

I will be going back to Aspen Dental for my next cleaning! They charge me $74.00 for my cleaning which I think is very reasonable. I love Aspen!!!

no mas Aspen Dec 09, 2007

Amy, This place is the biggest rip-off joint in America and they will be closed down. They ripped all these people off and you think they are great. You sound like a plant from Aspen to counter all the negative stuff said about them. ASPEN DENTAL IS GUILTY OF MASSIVE FRAUD AND THEY WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT...

• St
    Steve Audin Dec 12, 2007

I used to work for a New York State agency and the union,(CSEA) worked with Aspen Dental almost exclusively. 3 out 0f 4 people that I worked with had to have root canals done which I thought was kind of odd. After I went to Aspen, they told me I needed a root canal also. Come to find out the dental plan through the union pays for root canals 100% (no copays).

I would imagine that very few CSEA workers would think twice about having the procedure because there is no out of pocket expenses. I bet that Aspen thinks the same thing. CSEA workers are the goose that lays golden eggs for Aspen Dental.
    I had the root canal done and now 1 1/2 years later, the work they did is starting to fall apart.

My wife had the same procedure and same problems afterwards as well.

I will see what happens when I complain tomorrow AT the office.

P.S. I got scammed for the deep cleaning and the special rinse and toothpaste (gave it to me but charged me without telling me I would have to pay) and also had WAY too many x-rays.

I wouldn't let those worthless snake oil salespeople touch my dog's teeth... DON'T RISK YOUR DENTAL HEALTH TO A FRANCHISE WHERE MONEY IS EVERYTHING!!!

Sandy Myers Dec 13, 2007

This is from a News Article in the Ithaca Journal 12-12-2007 about a new office opening:

Frank said Dr. Vikramjit Anand of Ithaca, owns the Ithaca practice as well as an Aspen Dental office in Big Flats. Anand will serve as lead dentist in Ithaca. He holds his doctorate in dental science from the New York University College of Dentistry.
    Anand has admitted to filing false Medicaid claims, extracted healthy teeth and “dispensing inordinate amounts controlled substances without medical justification” in a previous practice on Triphammer Road in Ithaca.

Crazy! I've never been to an office, but I know now to stay away and tell anyone I know who may be looking for a dentist.

• Su
    Susan J. Schippel Dec 26, 2007

I originally went to Aspen Dental in Sandusky, Ohio, to get a new upper denture. The Dentist showed me my X-rays and tried to also sell me an enormous amount of different dental procedures to be done to my bottom teeth.I told him that I did not have dental insurance and that I could only afford the upper denture at the moment. I was going to pay cash for the upper denture that was advertised in their newspaper ad and then the salesperson said that the denture that was advertised was only a temporary fix and then I agreed to purchase one upper denture for 849.00 with the Care Credit account that she set up for me immediately.To make a long story short, after several visits and many unnecessary hours spent in the waiting room(many times being an hour or more) the dentist still was not able to get the denture to look right in my mouth. I looked as though I was punched in the mouth and had a fat upper lip. He insisted that it looked fine and I became so disguisted with it that I finally signed the paperwork, accepted the denture and left it at that. I cannot function with this denture in my mouth unless I have a ton of effergrip stuck to it and it still looks like crap. (I am getting ready to slap the old one back in my mouth.) During this time I also have a 17 year old daughter who needed to have a tooth pulled because she complained that it was hurting her. I brought her in to have it pulled and once again reminded them that I do not have dental insurance and could only afford what absolutely had to be done. The salesperson had over 2500.00 worth of procedures that she said the dentist recommended and I only wanted to have the tooth pulled. I then was quoted 234.00 for two extractions and one filling and I agreed and wrote a check for the procedure because I did not want to put another charge on the Care Credit account.When we made it to her appointment it was the usual one hour wait and then the dentist said he could only pull one tooth instead of the two because of where the teeth were located and that she'd have to come back again next week . When we arrived again the waiting time on this occasion was one hour and twenty minutes.The dentist finished pulling the second tooth and filled the other and then charged another 115.00. So now I am wondering what kind of a business is this that keeps charging more on top of what was already agreed upon. (I am also wondering if this crappy denture that I paid 849.00 for is not really the one that they originally advertised for 199.00.

delay Dec 29, 2007

I am having trouble with a new denture that the dentist is trying very hard to rectify as well as a partial on the bottom, in despair,- aspen dental has great page displays in the yellow pages of the phone book --I considered going there for the perfect smile that everyone wants w/ dentures - guess what - after reading all of these horror stories and of course none of this is information on prices and gouging the people is printed, you would think this would be the greatest place to go - this complaint page told me DON'T EVEN GO THERE - THANKS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

no mas Aspen Jan 06, 2008

UPDATE- I received a fill refund (my portion of payment) from Aspen refunded back to my Care Credit account. I had been going back and forth with them and the Attorney Generals Office in my state. They are to be commended for keeping the pressure on this despicable company. Go to the Attorney General of your state and complain and do not back off. If they get enough complaints they may close them down, or severely restrict their business. It seems to me Aspen was created for the sole purpose to defraud the public for as much money as possible. I pray they close them down....