ADVERTISIMENT

Arizona Medical BoardI was verbally and mentally assaulted by the office mgr/husband of my doctor.

Y Sep 01, 2021

To whom it may concern,

My name is Yvonne de Anda [protected]. I'm a 57 yr old, 5'1 woman. My primary doctor is Punya Ramen with Avista medical center in Gilbert, AZ

On July 16.2021 I called my compound pharmacy to see why my estrogen was not filled. They informed me my doctor had NOT approved it. So I call the doctors office and spoke to a woman. In error this woman faxed progesterone over to Strive Pharmacy. I picked up the prescription not knowing it was not correct. Note: The medication looks the same because they make it there. I then had my son's wedding on July 30th and I was on fire!!! The hot flashes were unbearable!!! I go to the doctors office in the mean time for bloodwork and waited for results. May I note, I've NEVER had a problem with staff. I then had my tele-med follow up with Dr. Raman. She stated my estrogen was 1/2 of what it should be. Now the unbearable hot flashes made sense. I then retrieved my Strive Pharmacy bottle (All other meds are filled at Fry's pharmacy) and it was PROGESTERONE!! Dr. Raman assured me she would fax over the correct med request to Strive. This was on a Friday, strive is open M-F and not on weekends. I was going out of town and called strive first thing Monday and begged for meds next day. The pharmacy pulled up my history and the fax and said the doctors office requested the wrong meds. I then called the office and asked to speak to the lady I spoke to on July 16th. She was very combative and would not admit error at first. She insisted I get both meds at Strive. I implore you to check my history at both pharmacies. After explaining to her if Strive had progesterone requested its because she requested in ERROR!! (She eventually acknowledged the error and apologized but not before raising her voice) I then told her that her being so defensive made me feel that it may not have been an accident. She then yelled at me "I'm offended" I then yelled back "I'M OFFENDED THAT I'VE HAD TO LIVE WITH YOUR ERROR FOR A MONTH". I then left a strongly worded voicemail (no profanity) for the office manager. With no response, I left 2 more messages for the doctor directly. What kind of doctors office does not return patience calls?? At this point my mental health was not doing well!! Knowing this doctor did not care about me as a patient and my mental health for which she prescribes me a generic of Effexor and generic of Seroquel. My last tele-med visit I had told her I had been robbed, so she knew I was fragile, and then to ignore my calls is appalling! Fast forward to yesterday, Tuesday, August 31, 2021. With 2 weeks that has passed and no return call, I have resolved that fact that I will seek another primary doctor. I went to Avista medical and asked to speak with the doctor (I wanted to be sure she knew why I was leaving and also because I needed to get my medical records) I asked several times for my records with no acknowledgement. My luck, it was the lady that sent the wrong prescription at the front desk. When I asked to speak to the doctor and said my name, she very rudely said if I don't have an appointment, I cant see the doctor. It was close to lunch time so I said I would wait. She basically said I'm not going to see the doctor and I said I'll sit here and wait all day if necessary. So I sat down and started watching Netflix. I have to say I am now feeling very anxious. I noticed a man come in with the lady who spoke to me rudely. At the counter he stated very aggressively "CAN I HELP YOU" I took the ear pods out and said "excuse me"? He repeated aggressively "CAN I HELP YOU"!! I said yes and who are you? He said the office manager. I said "Great!!! I've been wanting to speak to you, can we go somewhere in the office"?? He said NO!! talk to me right here (at the counter) Where are my HIPPA privacy laws??? I started to speak, when he abruptly cut me off and said I know the story and you can leave!! I'm now in shock and shaking that this man is truly yelling at me!! I told him "You won't even listen to my side"?? Again yelling at the top of his lungs GET OUT!! I called out for Dr. Raman, because now I'm in full mental break down, I'm shaking and felt so violated at by doctors husband and the office. Now this man knows my chart and knows what medication I'm on, and clearly used it against me. I said I'm not leaving until I see my doctor. He proceeds to call me names like Psycho, crazy [censored], your mental and I'm shaking so much at this point I'm in defense mode. There was a big [censored] YOU from me. I know the doctor can hear her husband verbally assaulting me and my mental history, I really thought she would come to my rescue and tell her husband he cant talk to patients that way. But the woman who was in charge of my medical needs and my mental well being was nowhere to be found. Dr. Raman's husband then flew around the counter to physically attack me, I planted my feet ready for is attacked and said "put your hands on me, you son of a [censored]! I dare you".
I'm sure you can imagine my terror that this man and I were touching toes. I'm only 5'1 and he knew he was terrorizing me!! He said "Look at you!! You're crazy!! look the cameras are seeing how crazy your are!!!" I said there going to show you attacking me!! Mind you his staff including men witnessed this behavior. He then told the lady to call 911 and I gladly waited until the police arrived. I have been unable to stop crying and I'm now in a very bad place mentally. This man has triggered me and took me back to a very physically abusive time!! I'm absolutely devastated that my doctor had no concern for my well being. Isn't that why they take their oath is to protect us patience. I hold Punya Raman responsible for what happened in her practice. Shame on all of them!! SHAME

RESOLVED

• Arizona Medical Board's response · Sep 07, 2021

If you have a complaint against a licensed Arizona physician, please go to the Arizona Medical Board's website and file a formal complaint.

This forum is not the appropriate forum for the Board to receive complaints against doctors. Visit www.azmd.gov and go to the Regulations tab, then navigate to the left margin where it says "file a complaint."

Comment Guidelines