Apple Vacationapple vacations rating system and lack of follow up customer care

This was my 8th trip to the Mayan Riviera, the first stay at the Riu resorts, and for the first time in my travel experience I was counting down the days to coming home. I have previously stayed at the Grand Palladium, at the Grand Bahia Principe, and at the Iberostar, so when the Riu was suggested, (a 5Golden Apple property, the same rating as the palladium and the Bahia) I thought we'd be staying at the same quality resort as the aforementioned. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT as soon as we arrived! We were initially placed at the Playacar. Having read reviews prior to departure, we were aware this would be a smaller property. What we didn't expect was a filthy, old, tired resort where everything you came in contact with, from bedding to couches to blankets smelled of URINE and STALE SWEAT. DISGUSTING!! Our beds were falling apart, the sheets were frayed, and the mattress was covered in rubber sheets. The stench of the blankets and the dirty bedspread quickly made us realize that this was not a 5 Golden Apple property as described by Apple Vacations. We had to spread towels on our beds to sleep on, as we didn't want to touch the bedding. When we asked the front desk manager for a bed topper, we were told it would be provided the next day. Nothing came. The shower had BLACK MOLD, triggering an allergic reaction, so off to the pharmacy to get meds! The a la carte dinners are a joke! The steak at the makeshift steakhouse restaurant looked and tasted like bad hospital food. We left halfway through dinner completely disgusted. The pool was cloudy and yellow. No toilets available in the pool area, so the natural conclusion is, pool probably urine infested too, just like the bedding. This hotel is 20 years old, and according to staff, in need of major renos! By the third day of sleeping on towels and doping myself with allergy meds before entering the room, we were shocked to discover cockroaches. We killed one, then saw babies crawling into the wood doorframe and On the night table. Then, I found a COCKROACH in one of the drawers. Realized it was time to LEAVE. Went next door to the Riu Yucatan and asked if they could accommodate us, having seen one of their rooms. We spent half a day transferring to the Yucatan, but nonetheless the rooms here looked slightly updated (fresher sheets). When we went into the lobby to relax, we discovered that the couches and chairs at the yucatan were just as foul and decrepit as at the Playacar. Ripped up, sagging, again stinking of old sweat; DISGUSTING! We spent most of our days on the beach and walking around playa del Carmen to get away from these foul resorts. Couldn't even relax in the lobby, as the furniture was too foul to sit on. This was the first time I got sick from the foods spent a night purging (not a drinker so it had to be the food). The first time I wanted to stay away from the resort. RIU is a COLOSSAL DISAPPOINTMENT ! Upon return, I contacted APPLE VACATIONS and filed a complaint. After 3 months of waiting, I was offered a $100 voucher with restrictions on travel (can only be used during winter travel). INSULTING! Riu resorts offered a 4 night voucher at their lower end resorts (again, restrictions). This, after 10 years of travel exclusively through Apple Vacations, and investing $30, 000 in these trips.

• Vanessa Moore May 13, 2013

Thanks for the waring, and once you're in Playa del Carmen, you should also beware of the Royal Elite/Sandos resorts. As many people have become victims of a timeshare scam at this resort, i'd suggest you to stay VERY far away from it, or at least from their sales pitches. This is a forum with more complaints made on Royal Elite timeshare scams:

Mark Miles Feb 25, 2016

It is always best to hire someone skilled to do so, unfortunately in most cases these companies dedicated to cancel timeshares usually cheat for the second time to their customers since they are vulnerable and desperate. If you are thinking of hiring them you just have to make sure you do not have to make any payment upfront ... I found these articles that speak precisely about this, you should read them, that might help you to resolve many doubts:

I hope you can solve your problem, good luck!