Having problems with Ancestry?

360 W 4800 N
Provo, Utah

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Ancestry.

Complaints & Reviews

Ancestryancestry dna

My leafs are disappearing...why? My linked circles have disappeared...why. What is this about? why would I have 4 leaves one day the log on and only 3 leaves appear? Why am I linked to circles one day then the next they are gone. Why pay so much for this service and rely on its capability to connect family together via DNA, to no have it function properly or give you information. This needs to be looked into and someone at Ancestry needs to fix it, pay to much money for the service.

• Ji
      jimeverhart Jan 18, 2018

Feel lucky, It has happened to me twice in the last year. They came back and then after a couple of months gone again. it has been over 6 months with no visible circles just blank white pages. 6 months ago I had 63 circles on 6 pages of results, now 3 circles on 1 blank page. Customer service says they know of the problem and they know what caused it to happen. For the last 3 months I have been told they are re-indexing their files and in a few days they should be visible again please be patient. A few days I can be patient but over 6 months that is not acceptable!!! Circles I know I was a part of no longer show me. If I go to New Ancestor Discoveries I can see the Circles for those people some of which I used to be shown in now do not list me. . I have been over patient now I am on a campaign make sure others hear about this shoddy service. It makes no difference paid member or not, Ancestry Customer Service Reprehensive, nobody can do anything but say their sorry and please be patient. [protected] is the number I will be calling daily to get their attention. I encourage everyone else with this problem, call them daily. After dozens of calls only 3 times over the last 6 months they have entered a problem report, Did the rest of the people just think it will simply fix its self? If you make a customer mad they will tell 5 times more people about how badly they were treated and if they were treated well less than 2 times the other people.. Till it happens to someone high up at Ancestry, they only seem to be able to redesign the DNA webpage and tell people with problems DNA Circles are still in Beta. As a beta tester for a couple of Software Programs they really need to work on that answer and address their beta programs success and worry less about spending so much TV time and print media touting their great results that only partially work.

Ancestry.com$99 six-month subscription paid in may, 2017, being billed $19.99 monthly

I signed up for a special $99 "deal" for a six-month subscription to Ancestry.com which I paid at the time I signed up. I recently noticed that they've been billing me $19.99 monthly...! Their "Customer Service" consists only of a disorganized string of FAQs, there is no chat or email capability. I'm hoping that their phone support (Ancestry Support [protected]; Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 11:00 pm Eastern; Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 am - 11:00 pm Eastern) will prove helpful, but as it is currently closed, I have no way to tell. I will call them first thing in the morning tomorrow to report this THEFT, and try and force them to reimburse me for the DOUBLE PAYMENT. What a blatant rip-off!
    I'm in the process of copying all of the images and documents associated with my family tree, and then will be cancelling my subscription. I just hope my cancellation is honored - and that these monthly charges stop. Errr! So irritating.

• Ru
        Rubyroots Nov 11, 2017

Just reviewed my payment history to find I purchased a six month membership at $99 in 2014, then 7 days later Ancestry started billing me monthly for the same membership. Ive been the n hold now for half an hour. May just send a letter to Provo via USPS.

Ancestryconnecting to ancestry.com on my pc

I have been unable to connect to Ancestry.com for the past week. I am in the area that was affected by Hurricane Harvey. My AT&T land line and internet service went down for about 4 days. Since it came back, I am unable to connect. The message I get is ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT. I have tried all of the suggestions sent to me by the customer service representative with no success. We have two computers using the same wi-fi network and neither of these computers will connect. Is there a solution to this problem?

Ancestryproduct renewal not recognized; locked out

I renewed my 6 month subscription in June 2017. I have subscribed for years. The website still shows me as a "guest" without access to my files. I have called 4 times and will hold for as long as 22 minutes, but no one ever answers the damn phone.

Order Number [protected]
        9 Isabel Circle
        Montpelier Vermont 05602
        United States of America

• Updated by bbowen · Aug 18, 2017

I have verified the renewal through my bank records.

Ancestryunauthorized debit card charges

I signed in for a 14 day free trial but before the time was even up, I was charged a huge fee of 131.00 on my debit card, meanwhile, it was supposed to be only 28 a month if I kept it. I have requested a refund and still not received my refund even the they said I would be refunded and gave me a confirmation number. I am quite dissatisfied with the service

Ancestrydna results

Ancestry.com sent my results to someone other than myself and now refuses to provide them to me. They say the only way I can view them is to contact that person and ask them their sign in information. Giving it to me would be a violation of their rights. What about violating my rights by giving my DNA to someone else? They claim I asked them to do that but I can assure you I DID NOT!

Ancestry.comdna testing.

I paid my money and did an Ancestry.com DNA test. The results were 74% Great Britain, 12 % Ireland and 14% other. My mother was full blood Choctaw American Indian and my father had some American Indian blood. The only way for these results is if I were adopted. I'm not, as I have my birth certificate. So, do they just take your money and make it up or is it a scam.

Ancestrymembership free trial

My name is Maria Volante and you have deducted money from my card without any notice or email, I would like a refund . you deducted 563.67 aed (145 usd) [protected]) on 27th July 2017 . They must give prior warning as it emptied my debit card. I would like to cancel the membership and have a full refund please. They said 14 day free trial but in fact not pre warning email or contact.

I will be monitoring this situation and if i dont get a reply will most surely give my reviews on other media.

with thanks

Ancestry.combasic subscription renewal

I canceled my subscription online in June. Then, the following month they billed me again. I tried to call to get them to fix the problem, but I got an automated menu of options that wasn't helpful and then I was disconnected by the automated system. I could find no way to email them about the problem on their website.

I want to have the money refunded that was charged after I had canceled online.

Angela284 Sep 11, 2017

I have the same exact problem. I canceled the end of July via online. I was never charged for August so I figured that it was canceled. I received a notice from the bank that I was charged again for the month of September. I tried calling and I waited 1 hour for someone to pick up. I sent an email to them and I plan on calling again. I am very upset about this.

Ancestrysubscription charges

I purchased the World Explorer pack and when i went to go checkout it said an error had occurred. The subscription was not showing up on my ancestry profile and when i checked my bank account the transaction went through. I called ancestry about 10 times and they said that they couldn't cancel it because it was not in their system. I went forward to file a dispute with my bank and they haven't even responded to my bank. It's a shame because I was looking forward to this subscription but now i can't even use it.

Ancestry.comweb site

Been a member 10 years for lack of an alternative, and for the last few years at highest level. But they have

1) Never fixed relationship calculation errors that I have alerted them to multiple times. Are not fixing foundational issues chasing bells & whistles.

2) Their servers seem to crash regularly, making parts of tips or trees unavailable. I suspect they have oversold relative to capacity.

3) Charge your payment method without authorization. Make it difficult to avoid auto renewal by not taking checks or prepaid cards. And say they remove payment method but do not if making a one time authorization. I have had this happen several times, & I gather I am not alone.

4) They don't moderate trolls, so one basically has to shut off contact internally from everyone. To avoid those outraged by trees that contradict their info. Or those having done little or no work on their own tree who believe they are entitled to full access of your years of research. PS. This after I stated clearly in my profile that I am happy to answer specific questions but don't share my tree.

5) Early adopter on DNA test, but underwhelmed re level of detail. Feels like it doesn't go very far back either.

6) Long waits for customer service which ineffectual & no real follow-up .

Ancestryancestry.com / ancestry subscription cancellation.

I set up a trial account to like around and look at some old family records. Cancelled, or so I though, immediately, only to find a month later I had a 45 dollar charge on my card for the service... that I had cancelled. I later went back and cancelled, this time for good, and discovered along the way that they possessed no refund policy and that their cancellation process is intentionally misleading.

Ancestry — ancestry.com dna test/ results

Ancestry.com goes to great lengths advertising their abilities to find out what your roots are, in particular...

Ancestrydna testing

As a family project, my children and I purchased DNA test kits from Ancestry.com. I am fortunate enough to know my genealogy and detailed records recording where my family is from; however, I went along with the testing so we could create a family tree and research possible relatives using the company's app. When the test results were returned, it showed my children were all related, but I was not. Having carried them all during pregnancy and birthing all three, I am confident we are related. We all had a good laugh at my results and knew they were clearly wrong. I contacted Ancestry.com to tell them about the error, but instead of offering to do a new test, the representative on the phone argued with me and told me the results were correct and the lab never makes an error. When I asked how it was possible for my children not to be related, she indicated we were not doing something correctly in the system. The customer service is terrible and It seems like this whole thing is a scam; simply a way to rip people off. There are no checks on accuracy within the lab, so I am not sure any of the results are trustworthy.

AncestryTrial period.. Than charged..28.71

Hello I have found it extremely difficult to cancel my subscription with you. I am unemployed and although I used your service to find out a few details I have not used your site or service e for over 6 weeks and was under the impression that i was not going to be charged.
                            please credit my account t to the sum of 28.71 as I have not asked for further subscription and have tried to cancel but find your site very user unfriendly. I am unhappy with this service as Igot nowhete beyond what I already knew. .Ps i cannot afford to be in the red as I get further charges.
                            thank you.

Suzie Lindesay

AncestryAncestry. com kept charging after cancellation

I cancelled, out at least believed I had cancelled my subscription at least 3 months ago. Found out today that I have been getting charged $19.99 every single month. And of course since I didn't write down a cancellation number or keep an email, I'm now out at least $60. When I called in and waited for around a half hour to talk to someone. I'm told that they will cancel my subscription, but can't refund me my money. I told the customer service guy that he could even look up the last time I logged in and that's the date that I thought I had cancelled my subscription. But he wouldn't even do that! This is complete and total crap. How is it OK to basically steal money from people? And not even want to try to make it right with the people your company stole the money from? As soon as I submit this, I shall be filling a complaint with the BBB also. Hopefully other people read this and do not get scammed the same as I did!

• Do
                                  Dot williams Mar 26, 2020

Call your credit card company. They'll take care of this mess!

Ancestry.comTrial membership

Signed up for a free 2-week trial membership, which I cancelled one week into the trial. The woman I spoke to on phone last week told me it was already cancelled. She confirmed it was, and assured me nothing further was needed. This morning I discovered Ancestry charged my account for a month service w/taxes anyway. I called to complain. The man cancelled my subscription again, and told me if I wanted to complain I would need to write to Orem, Utah. He couldn't take it over the phone.

I also didn't care for the service - it was difficult to use, and after one week of inputting my family tree, it became wiped out through nothing I did. It also didn't link my ancestral lines like some other genealogy sites do.

Ancestry.com — Unauthorized credit card charges

My card was charged $9.99 without my knowledge, called company @ [protected] to ask question why was my...

Ancestry.comAncestry search of surname

There ought to be a law
                                  Well here is my story.
                                  I became interested in my family tree about 15 years ago so I started with Family tree Maker but that program was limited so I moved to Ancestry.com. I hired the genealogy staff to trace my surname back as far as possible. I was quoted a fee of $3000.00 for 25 hours of work. Three months later the research was wrapped up. I received a binder which was sparsely filled but I do have a small family so I moved on.
                                  During the research a separate tree was created (ProGen Tree) this tree contained the result of the research for my surname, documentation and the individual family members.
                                  This information was informative and resolved some mysteries of my surname. I now wanted to copy this information along with the documents to my tree. I was given a four step process which did not work. I wrote to the account manager and got this response “Hi, I am not sure why the locations would not match. I wish I could help. That is very strange. Please call our Tech Support Line at [protected] & they will be able to assist you. “Called tech support three times they were unable to copy the documents to my tree. Contacted the account manager again he sent the same procedure, contacted Tech Support again they think my status as a guest on the ProGen Tree is the problem. So I contacted the account manager to have my status changed so I can copy. The account manager responded “. I'm sorry, but it is ProGen's policy not to make anyone an editor of a ProGen tree as it could compromise the integrity of the data if someone uploaded faulty information. You will have to transfer it all individually to your own tree. My sincere apologies, but that is the company policy we all have to follow.”
                                  The result of my experience with Ancestry.com was negative, unacceptable and unprofessional.

• Do
                                      Dot williams Mar 26, 2020

I paid Legacy Tree $2, 350 because Ancestry gets paid by Legacy Tree to advertise on their page. I knew nothing about anything and Legacy Tree lied and told me they were connected with Ancestry. LIARS! Legacy Tree is the worst. They got both of my grandparents parents incorrect. All this money I spent for 20 hours of work. How do you know they work? I think they sit on their duff and pick their noses. Then they wanted $3, 000 for 20 hours of more work. This whole DNA stuff is a SCAM! Plus, I have to listen to filipinos speak that I can't understand. Give Americans JOBS! NOT FILIPINOS!

Customer service is extremely RUDE!

Ancestry.comAncestry.com access

I have paid over $3000 for nothing. Every time I tried to access the ancestry website it told me I had to pay, I already had an account that I have been paying monthly for $19.99. Apparently, Ancestry entered in the wrong user ID for me which caused me not to have access to the website. I have not been able to access the website since I joined. This was their fault not mine but I am being punished for their negligence. I have tried to cancel and contact them for months. When I finally got ahold of someone they said they were sorry but there was nothing they could do to give me any of my money back but they could cancel my account. I have lost thousands of dollars and they are sorry, what a scam. They should lose their license to operate when they fraudulently take money out of your account and you get no service. They don't even care that this happened.