American Express Logo

American Express

Having problems with American Express?

American Express reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 21, 2006. The latest review accessing my account was posted on Apr 2, 2021. The latest complaint refuse to reserve the emergency credit was resolved on Jul 16, 2014. American Express has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 296 reviews. American Express has resolved 144 complaints.

American Express Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 528 4800 (Personal Cards)
+1 800 492 3344 (Small Business)
+1 800 528 5200 (Merchant Service)
+1 800 528 2122 (Corporate Cards, Cardmembers Only)
+1 888 800 8564 (Corporate Cards, Program Administrators Only)
+1 800 492 3932 (Platinum Customer Service)
+1 800 297 3276 (Membership Rewards)
+1 800 297 2977 (Reservations for Air, Hotel & Card Rentals)
+1 800 297 5627 (Cruises)
+1 800 446 6307 (Personal Savings)
+1 800 954 0559 (American Express Serve)
+1 877 297 4438 (American Express Gift Cards)
+1 800 221 7282 (Gift or Travelers Cheques)
+1 844 273 1384 (American Express Loans)
200 Vesey Street
Sat24h
Sun24h

American Express Complaints & Reviews

American Express — false advertising

Numerous complaints: 1) travel website does not allow you to reserve more than one round trip. Create...

Oakhurst

American Expressfroze expenditures and card payment was due in 13 days

I have always paid my AE card off in full. My next payment was going to be due in 13 days. I had the payment scheduled. They called and said they were not going to allow anymore charges unless I paid the balance off in full early! What a way to get rid of a customer fast! I told them that was crazy! I offered to pay in full 2 days early but asked they continue to allow me to expend. They said no way. So, I cancelled the card. I can't imagine continuing to do business with them when they are obviously not there to suppor the very basis of what built their company --- small business'es just like mine!

American Express Goldcancelled card — no warning

I have read over several other complaints with the same basic heading and I guess I can just say DITTO. I have had my amex since college (which they practically forced on a college student--who has no income anyway). Anyway, for the past 20 years I have always kept up payments no matter what because I cared immensely about my credit score plus I felt privileged to have an American Express card. No longer.

I got into a little trouble (like others lately) but I made a payment plan with the Amex rep over 6 months. She never told me my card would be canceled or anything negative would happen. She said that it wouldn't even be reported to the crediting reporting agencies if I paid the debt. I was on the last payment when I got a letter in the mail saying that my Gold card was being cancelled. WHAT? Also, I have an American Express Blue which I had been paying on time (it can carry a balance with interest) and had not had any problems with it at all. BUT, they cancelled that card as well. Double WHAT.

When I called American Express, I also (like others) was answered by someone in a far away country but the accent was so incredibly difficult to understand. However, I could make out that he was telling me that he couldn't tell me why it had been cancelled. Well, I didn't think that was sufficient. Transfer me to a supervisor. I got cut off a few different times as well.

I have spoken with a few of my close friends (since this is an embarrassing situation) but have found out that it has happened to a few of my friends who didn't even have ANY negative actions on their accounts. It seems like American Express is just picking and choosing and axing those they just feel like letting go. Too bad because I had been an excellent payor (as I should be) for 20 years. Oh durn AmEx. I'll never go back. However, I have been sent several letters asking me to come back--for a fee. And yes, the fee varies per letter as well. It seems to me that American Express isn't the icon it once was and I wouldn't even feel proud carrying that card anyway.

I hope there is a class action law suit because for once in my life, I would actually sue someone.

• My
        my truck rocks Mar 29, 2011

Well I am glad you have never had an issue with Amex.
        How about you go through a layoff and attempt to do the right thing by going through a credit counseling agency. Then YOU will have BIG issues with them and others. How about you NOT being able to find a JOB that pays what you were used to pay. Then you tell me what you do! I did pay my bills when I had a decent paying job, NOW I still am having issues EVEN though THE BILL was CHARGED OFF IN 2008. So NOW YOU TELL ME WHERE IN THE "HE **" AM I SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO PAY THE A**'S!
        Till then I do have a RIGHT to BI*CH especially since they REFUSED to work with me!

• My
        my truck rocks Mar 28, 2011

I know about American express first hand. They scam you into getting the card then when you start to work with a credit counselor agency, Amex turns you into a collection agency. Then when they charge it off since they refuse to talk to you. They then continue to turn you over to different agencies after that. I know I am on the 4 collection agency from them and I just keep sending the agency the charge off paper. I send a copy not the original. That ends them until the next one hits.
        Tell Amex to take the card and place it where the sun doesn't shine.

• Ke
        Kevin Wilson Mar 26, 2011

I recently received letter correspondence and email advertisement since the month of January 2011, asking me to join AMEX . the attraction to me was NO ANNUAL FEE the first year, I signed up for the card. Upon receiving the card and letter I called the number to activate the card. In the conversation I asked the rep does this card have an annual fee waived for the first year and her answer was yes, I believe her name was Stacey. Upon receiving my statement I noticed that there was a fee for 125 dollars in annual fees. I contacted AMEX and got no resolution, the tone of the LEAD REP was I'm sorry and are you going to continue to use the card? Very mean and cavalier. I feel this is a case of BAIT and Switch which is clearly a violation of Illinois credit law. I want this matter resolved and the fee waived for the first year. I have contacted my attorney and he is prepared to move forward with this matter. I WANT RESOLUTION!

• Me
        melvin Apr 13, 2009

it sucks

• Me
        melvin Apr 13, 2009

hello my name is melvin s i too had all of the same problems net trust representitive ask me for all my info to verify my id and thats all they said they wanted my info for.next thing i know them and all of their affilites are charging me 4995 here 495 there 4995 again and again. its sick these people can get away with al this crap if i wasnt a god fearing man i dont know whatid do...

American Express Cardclosed account for no reason

As most folks American Express decided to one day just shut off our Platinum Card which was used for day to day business expenses and to accumulate points for Airline tickets and other things. We were on a flex pay plan that allowed us to carry a balance and pay less than the full balance, Mind you this is stil around $2500 a month to one card, They shut it down for no reason other than they screwed us out of 100k plus "points" And demanded we pay the balance immediatley, We refused for one becuase we could not afford to pay the balance in full. We still get calls from Natonwide Credit and they want checking information and payments of $1000 set up via automatic payments Iwas advised not to do this, Pay AMEX directly or ask for a settlement? Anyone out there go thrugh this>?

• Dv
          dvarce Mar 31, 2012

I had the EXACT same thing happen...I had a Platinum Card and Green AMEX for two completely seperate corporations. My Fico scores were all above 726, no outstanding balance due to AMEX, ect. They literally just cancelled both cards and then i got the run around as to why. First I was told it was because i had 8 credit inquiries in past 30 days. So, I joined credit service and found outthis was not true! I faxed the credit report printouts to AMEX and was told I would receive a letter. Basically, i was told that i was ineligible for reinstatement!!! I was told that i could write and request exactly how i would like my AMEX Membership Rewards Points used. MEMBERSHIP REWARDS CORRESPONDENCE UNIT
          AMEX MEMBERSHIP REWARDS
          PO BOX 297813
          FORT LAUDERDALE, FL [protected]
          [protected]
          It seems so unfair that a credit card company can do this without any cause!!!

• Mi
          missg Apr 08, 2009

My husband and I went through something similar. We have Amex Blue and they decreased our credit line drastically even though our credit with them is pristine since 1995...it's just a sign of the times...

• Gr
          GRAND HOTEL Jun 27, 2007

We grand hotel having in merchant banking business with American Express Card vide MID No.[protected]. Now the settlement is not effecting with the machine.

American Express Blue Credit Card — increased interest rates jan 2009

American Express Blue Card raised interest rates across the board in January from 9.9% to 12.9% regardless of...

American Expressfraud protection a joke.

American Express boasts fraud protection. Have a bad charge, they'll take care of it right?? Nope. I entered into a 100% money back guarantee, no questions asked service earlier this year. When I requested my refund the company refused. I tried 5 times to no avail. I then disputed the charge and provided AMEX with extensive documentation in emails and web site proving my claims. I was denied, twice. When I spoke with the dispute center the lady, very rudely, informed me all AMEX3e501 can do is request the vendor credit my account. She informed me they never could force the money back to my account (which is a lie). She told me to contact the company and request my refund. I should have used my Visa card. They certainly would have backed me up. Amex, that's twice in 10 years you've screwed me. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Never again.

American Express — boycott american express

American express caused me a lot of grief today. I can safely say that american express really hurt my...

American Expresscancelled my account, which was always in good standing

American Express cancelled my credit account without notifying me. I have consistently paid my balance in full each month, and have never missed a single payment. When I tried to pay for dinner the other night, my card was declined. I was sure there was some mistake, so I paid with my Visa and planned to call AmEx the next day to see what the story was.

After two days of getting the run-around on the phone, I finally spoke to someone who told me that in light of my recent credit profile, I was deemed to be high-risk and my credit account was cancelled. For the record, my credit score is waaay above average and I have no deliquencies on my report. The rude customer service rep told me that a letter was mailed out to me seven days after my account was cancelled. I never received this letter, but that matters not. I am sympathetic to lending agencies given the current economic situation, but the way American Express treats it's customers is infuriating. My suspicion is that because I pay my balance off in full every month, they are not making enough off my account in the way of interest.

My main concern is that this event will negatively affect my credit rating. As far as the account goes, I am happy to be rid of it and will vigorously campaign against American Express for their unfair business practices.

• Gr
              great grandma Aug 14, 2009

While on a weeks vacation last year my credit cards were suddenly refused when I tried to pay a bill in a restaurant . I tried American Express, Visa, Mastercard - all refused.
              When I called I was told that my accounts had been closed and my credit limts lowered
              due to the amount of credit in my name - all without any notification until several weeks later. I am partners in a business and due to the present economy we have had to use our personal accounts.
              Up until that time I had excelent credit and a high Ficas score . My credit history goes back over 60 years. I was never late with any payments and due to my excellent credit history had fairly low interest rates on my accoounts. They managed to destroy my credit over night.
              I am seriously thinking of telling them all to choke on their accounts. I didn't deserve what they did to my.
              Both my attorney and a debt management service I consulted told me that this has happened to countless people.

American Express Cardamex hurting consumer credit

American express used to be a great company. Lately — i've had to report them to the ftc and am about to report them to other banking and credit agencies as well. Why?
            For several months, they have been advertising (With multiple fliers in the mail, at least two times monthly) — suggesting I accept an offer (Due my great credit history and scores) to accept terms to 'carry-over monthly balances over $100). After much disregard, I finally accepted, after agreeing to open a secondary account with amex in light of the 'new' fico scoring system this year. (The second card was not mandatory, it was for purposes of 'spreading' out available credit to debt for several types of business charges as required with my profession and privately owned business.)

Low and behold — within 2 months of owning the secondary card — the 'offer' they gave me was rejected with a simple letter stating I was a credit risk because there were too many inquiries on my credit report (Only 3 in 6 months — (2) of which was by american express for the second card, and to see if I still 'qualified' under their creditsecure program, which I also happened to accept at the beginning of the year). Not only that, they had already reduced my 'no preset limit' option internally with a $20k limit that I had to coax a nicer rep into disclosing (They were not supposed to disclose the amount to me. Previously, I was truly not under a set limit.)

Worse yet — when the second payment for the second card came due — I sent payments for both accounts to the same bill payment receivables address in one envelope. There is no stipulation by amex under any circumstances — that we cannot send payments in one envelope. They also state they support green and other environmental programs — so I assumed saving an envelope and stamp would be fine.

The following week, while checking my balances — I noticed the second card bill was 'unpaid' and almost overdue. They were not going to notify me until it was later. I immediately called to find out what happened — as they had already cashed the check for the other account payment (Both were 'overpayments' to cover new charges as well.)

I was informed the check was destroyed because it was in with another check in one envelope. I was told if I did not pay again, immediately — (My responsibility, not theirs, of course) — I would be penalized. So they suggest electronic payment.

I am with a credit union for 'real' banking — so I requested amex notify me if the routing transaction did not go through correctly on the first try.

An entire business week later — I find out amex has suspended all of my cards, and I am about to be penalized for their ineptitudes — because they did not notify me about the payment not going through. They claim it was because they found out after hours on the friday night. However — they have 24/7 customer service. Instead of alerting me, per request — they put a 'stop transaction' motion on all my amex cards. (Even though they still have $50 additional overpayment on the primary card.)

They also erased the fact that they lost the original payment on the second card from my records (Since they claim they don't have proof.)

I worked hard to have an extremely high credit score. Now — amex is about to destroy it because I trusted them.

This complaint will be posted on every possible consumer notice and federal trade notice site I can locate, as I am not willing to be a casualty in the credit scams and fall outs that obviously has affected amex more than they are willing to admit. Amex also reported to the media and the federal and stock boards they were tightening up their structure because customers were having trouble paying last month.
            I wonder what the truth is — their faulty mail receiving program and lack of warnings and disclosure regarding such, or their refusal to work with customers in a fair and honorable manner???

• Ha
                Hassan Bahadeela Oct 15, 2011

I live in Saudi Arabia I believe you have nothing compare our bad treatment over charge put cards on hold . Stop international payments connect debt and credit card with one payment . Call relatives for credit card blue card payment payments. Hold or service with no reason even if paid calling 10 times a day. Charge late payments with no late payments. Payment shows in weekday only never in week end. Our payment period 30 days only .
                AMEX company charge upon their payment note whenever shows in their system. If client want to complains they can but never wave late charges. Blue cards (AMEX credit card) very expensive credit interests charge and service most the public do not like it they introduce it as internet card. When client request to cancel, Amex never cancel upon clients request .
                Merchants can charge unauthorized payments Cable Company love AMEX for accepting unauthorized payment. If you want to cancel TV cable service we have to cancel the Credit Card first. I for got they change location from Bahrain to Saudi Arabia they lost my 60 000 points reward system.
                No third party to claim AMEX unfairness behaviour. Saudi Government monetary agencies not consider AMEX with banking system no rules no reviews on consumer bad behaviour this organization in Saudi Arabia.
                They put my cards on hold for not real late payments. AMEX SAUDI CLIENT

• Do
                Down id the dumps Apr 08, 2009

BBB is a bunch of paid schmucks that make you look good if you pay them their fee, The aren't what the used to be, Trust me I run a business all the want is $$. You pay them they hide your complaints, If you don't pay them they post all the negative on their site.

• Jk
                JKIM Mar 23, 2009

FYI update: As of today--- after speaking with my bank and receiving the information AMEX needed to tell me specifically the manner in which they were attempting to get payment (after destroying my original payment check and refusing to acknowledge the mistake) --- I get another routing number from my bank. AMEX was not planning to tell me this -- (again, I had to perform due diligence and find out by 'accident') --- AMEX has already charged me $38.00 of nonpayment fees as of last week--- after they have done nothing to acknowledge or work with me to get the payment I've been trying to send in since March 8th. Now, AMEX has made $38 "free dollars" from me, and still, they are still not assuring me they will work with me for payment (they will not let me know if the payment has gone through or not--- they will simply charge me, penalize me and blames my bank and me-- NOT their ineptitudes.) My bank has recommended reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, among other agencies at this time.

American Express — credit rip off

Why are companies like American Express allowed to damage peoples credit because they were unable to manage...

American Expressdisgusting service

I signed a contract for a credit card with American Express that had a FIXED APR of 7.99%; all of the sudden "due to the economy" they have increased my interest rate to 10.99% with no opt out option. This leaves me paying 3% more for the balance on my account (all of this changed without my consent). I have never had a late payment, and they told me over the phone that my account is excellent; yet this is what they have done. I have one other credit card that is doing the same thing, but they are ETHICAL and have allowed me to cancel my account and continue paying the agreed interest rate until the balance of the account is paid off (Chase). I just wanted everyone to know that AMERICAN EXPRESS IS AN UNETHICAL COMPANY; they certainly have NO regard for their customers, nor do they abide by their contracts! Signers BEWARE!!!

• Re
                  reda moselhiy Jul 29, 2015

----- Forwarded Message -----
                  From: reda moselhiy To: OPTIMA CUSTOMER Sent: Monday, 27 July 2015, 9:54 Subject: Fw: WHY IGNORING my emaiL

Dear Optima Card
                  I Would very much appreciate it if I could know why I cannot get the The RENEWAL CARD while I paid the Membership fee.

Thank you.

My Regards,

You’re Sincerely

Reda M. Rahman

----- Forwarded Message -----
                  From: reda moselhiy To: "[email protected]" Cc: American Express Sent: Thursday, 16 July 2015, 9:04 Subject: Fw: WHY IGNORING my emaiL

----- Forwarded Message -----
                  From: reda moselhiy To: OPTIMA CUSTOMER Cc: American Express Sent: Wednesday, 1 April 2015, 9:26 Subject: Fw: WHY IGNORING my emaiL

Dear Optima Amex Customer Service

I don’t understand why you are not replying to all of my email’s ? I received an mail from you dated On 2 / 16 / 15 which is about (Notice of Important Change to Your Account Terms ).

But IGNORING my email!!! ???

Until now I did not get The RENEWAL CARD, moreover the membership was paid on time but for NO CARD .

Please I would very much appreciate it to get The RENEWAL CARD.

My Regards

REDA M. RAHMAN

----- Forwarded Message -----
                  From: reda moselhiy To: "[email protected]" Cc: "[email protected]" Sent: Friday, 26 December 2014, 4:00 Subject:

Dear Optima Amex Customer Service

I sent you before regarding my EXPIRED CARD 10/14 and until now I did not received the RENEWAL CARD .

ONLINE website is very hard to use it, I cannot find ( safe center message )

I would very much appreciate to get it.

Thank you.

Jakarta Pusat 10510
                  Indonesia

• Er
                  Eric6014 Mar 08, 2009

I had the same 7.99 fixed rate with the blue card. I had the card for six years, never made a late payment and my account was in good standing. It was the card I used for most of my major purchases, so it's not like i never used it. After some back and forth with them I recently canceled my account. They increased my rate to 16.99 and then agreed to lower it to 11% variable. I refused, and told them that if they wanted to keep me as a loyal customer, they should honor the original terms of our agreement. No, I understand that they are allowed to do this and it's stated in the fine print, but that doesnt mean I'm just going to suck it up and accept these new terms. I have excellent credit and I'm sure there are other products out there that have for favorable terms. Amex is alientating longstanding customers in a time when they should be trying to keep their business. But it's not just Amex. Most other banks are doing this too. I have a Visa card with Chase with a 7.0 fixed rate. I have had this card since 1999. This month, my rate switches to a 10.24 variable rate. Wht should I keep these cards, when the banks clearly are not interested in keeping me happy?

rousley Feb 19, 2009

AMEX will rip you off

rousley Feb 19, 2009

AMEX keeps on lowering the limit on my Blue Cash card. Why? They don't want me spending too much and getting huge rebates each year. I pay this off every month. Never paid any interest. Now I pay it off at least once a week online because the credit line is so low. I have an excellent credit score and history.

• Re
                  ReRe727 Feb 18, 2009

"Fixed" rate only applies to the fact that the APR (annual percentage rate) or what you pay in interest doesn't change with the prime rate. What you thought you had would have been called a "rate for life" in which providing the account stays current and not go over the credit line, the rate would not change. A card that has a "variable" rate changes typically three months after prime changes. Credit card companies can and do review accounts and if you read the fine print, can increase your APR without notice. This is all determined by analysts who view your entire credit picture. Keep in mind average rates right now are between 15 and 20% on most cards so even an 11% APR is well below average and one many people would love to get their hands on. I encourage you to read ALL of the material sent to you when you open a credit card as you would a mortgage, or a car loan. The information you claim to be missing is in there. Banks are, after all, companies that are for-profit, not non-profit.

American Expressclosed account

I have been an American Express cardholder for 15 years, that is until I received a notice in the mail today that they had canceled my account. I paid my account in full on Feb. 18 and then on Feb. 19 they decided that I supposedly had some derogatory items on my credit report. Now mind you, I looked at my credit report and there is nothing save some medical bills which have been paid in full according to a payment arrangement that I made. For 15 years I have had this account and it has been in good standing. How's that for customer loyalty? They certainly didn't offer me any money or give me the opportunity to close my account.

• Mm
                    M M Smith Jun 19, 2014

I was a customer for over 5 years. My husband and father died within 2 years of each other - resulting in 2 late payments in 1 year. I contacted AMEX to explain my situation in detail. Although their representative seemed friendly enough, she refused to listen to a long time customer and increased my rate to a whopping 27%.

Each time I lowered the balance by making double payments, they sent me letters reducing my credit limit - indicating that their review of my credit history resulted in the reduction of my limit with them. They continued to charge the exorbitant interest rate.

ZERO late payments for 2 years and they sent me a letter closing my account because of 'negative' reports on my credit. I had to endure a short sale of my home due to the loss of one income in my household. Never once making late payments them.

There is no excuse for the behavior. To hell with the credit card, that's not the issue. The issue is their predatory behavior towards people - especially minorities. It's disgusting. They literally hold their customers in a hostage situation. They continue to charge 27% interest every month on an account they closed.

What happened to AMEX - their reputation and consideration for their long time customers is gone.

American Expresstheir site downtime, your penalties and fees

After years of not missing a credit card payment deadline, I missed one on my new American Express Corporate card. I was signed up for electronic vs. paper notification. I attempted repeatedly to pay online, 01/12, 01/14, 01/18. 01/19, 01/20. The American Express site was down, and I could not review my bill. The amount due in the notification email was different than the amount due on the telephonic "pay your bill", so I wanted to understand the difference before making payment. When I finally got a hold of a person on the 20th and had access to the website, I was able to get my questions answered, understand the bill, and make a full payment.

However, I was forced to pay a penalty, and began incurring daily finance charges. I tried to make a full balance payment to eliminate the daily finance charges on 01/31 and 01/05 but the site was down. Once again, I finally got a hold of a person on 01/06, and although the site was down, I was able to make a payment based on our discussion that cleared all the balance, interest, and penalties.

American Express wants to save money by using paperless billing. They therefore incur an obligation to keep the site up the vast majority of the time. The site's repeated outage is more than an inconvenience; I have the right to know what I am paying for and ensure the accuracy of the bill before making payment. However, the company threw the liability of timely payment back on me stating that I could have called an operator; I did not need access to my account to make a payment.

Note that the other financial institutions I do business with, ING and USAA Bank, had no know outages during the same period. Over the past year I have worked with them in a paperless billing relationship, there have not been any unscheduled site outages.

AMEX is responsible for maintaining access to their site. This is not a profit opportunity; their downtime is their liability, not the consumers. They should be compensating the business that patronize them for repeated site outages.

Therefore I am dropping AMEX Corporate as too unreliable of service to maintain a banking relationship with. Began incurring penalties, $59 fine. AMEX reversed the late payment fee, but was not concerned about the site access issues I raised. They did not deny the site was down, but stated that it was "not their problem".

American Express Platinumarbitrary reduction in available credit

American Express is committing fraud in Canada. I am a perfect customer for all my credit cards. That means 10 years, no late payment and always over minimum. Amex Canada has changed the agreement we made in 2004 and reduced my available credit by 10 percent. They say it is because criteria have changed. Their investigators cannot find my income tax information so they can't prove the income I make regardless of the fact that I am never late on a payment.

People need to know what this is, it is extortion and treason. There are taking working capital from perfect customers off the street and burning it like all the bank have done, only now I have proof. They attempted to employ me without pay to do the job that their incompetent investigators could not come up with.

There is a reasons why Amex has never been allowed by me to have my bank information or my income information. Trust and security. I will not allow Amex to hold government data in duplicate in their computers. Why do I not trust a company to hold government or banking information? Because it makes fraud possible. Without co-mingled data in company databases, at that level of privacy, fraud is made possible by not only Amex but the credit reporting companies as well. The credit rating reporting agencies have had millions of file stolen and are circulating now.

Again how do I know? Because I am the freaken rich genius that invented the security systems for banks and I am the hack that gives the power to governments that rise an fall. I can write myself any income I like. And I do that offshore in safer banks where all bank executive and higher government elected and employed do. We only pay taxes on what is brought in the country and spent here. After all it wasn't earned here nor did anything from this country make my income possible, because I didn't learn here either, I am the inventer remember, other learn from me.

Amex has proven to me that the economic is a scam on everyone.

Right now if a bank makes you do something like purchase one product to gain access to another, that is extortion. In my case they attempt to hire me to investigate myself. They want me to stop work at 500 an hour, get my accounts and stop their work for this, then contact the lawyers to see what I am allow to expose. The fact is I am too important to Canada and America and I cannot let them have TAX info on me in their computers EVER. So I will have to go to war and destroy millions of dollars of AMEX capital to get even.

In addition they can see I save money by making prepaid payments and the reduced the limit in an attempt to make me go over the limit so that I would default and go over limit thus causing an automatic increase in interest, all from a PERFECT customers.

AS I pay the minimum I will destroy the company, by many means but mostly by automating a software robot of destruction that will get the message out to millions of people to be cautious with AMEX and expose their attempt to harm these two nations by stealing earned credit off the streets of our countries.

In the next few days the leaders of the investment world who worship genius (not that the working middle class don't appreciate extreme power wisdom and knowledge also) will remove millions and millions from AXP stock. Maybe they want AXP to fall more than it has? Maybe they think they will buy it back then?

My family owns the oldest banks in Europe and you DO NOT mess with me. I am so mad now, watch out that the crops don't fail, again like last time I was this mad. :-(

• Ru
                        RUfedup2 Aug 04, 2012

American Express platinum card did not notify, me that my card had been compromised. I was in Africa and could not check out of the hotel. When I called customer service I was sent to call center in India, and they could not offer me more information for 6 hours, until working hours in the states. After they cancelled my card for FRAUD, and had a fraud alert on my card...they sent a new card to a company in TRINIDAD!!! How did that person have my info? What are they doing to assist me? Despite the fact that they could NOT get me a new card !! I spoke with a different person each time, and each person basically said they could not help me! So why do I pay the extra money for Platinum? Never heard back from anyone! I have been a member for over 20 years!

• Pa
                        Pat K. Jul 10, 2011

POOR MONEY MANAGEMENT AND LOW CREDIT SCORES...I never cease to be amazed at people who think reducing credit limits has nothing to do with the fact that they are credit risks and live beyond their means on a daily basis. Not knowing what a "perfect customer" would be, reading the complaint and diatribe that followed, I marvel that you were able to secure any AMEX card in the first place. Too many people feeling they are "entitled" sharing their woes. You need to step up to the plate and take responsibility.

• Ia
                        Iam Ahab Jul 10, 2011

Apparently crazy people get credit cards too. How's your super-secret-illuminati-conspiracy to destroy AMEX going?
                        As far as the complaint goes, they reduced your credit line by 10% because you failed to provide the documents they asked for. Big deal, and it's well within their rights. I'll say this, not for you but for any poor SOBs like myself that wander into this complaint - YOUR CREDIT LINE IS NOT *YOUR* MONEY. It's the bank's money and they can decide when and to whom they extend credit. And they can change their mind, even without the reason that you gave them to.

Have fun inside your own head.

• Co
                        collinar Sep 19, 2010

In August 2006 I called American Express to inquire why I received a Credit Balance Refund Check for $12, 000.00. At the time my account had been active since 1984. During the conversation the representative uttered the words: “Anti-Money Laundering Regulations.” At the time I had no idea how these words related to my account. The representative did not disclose to me at that time that there were several fraudulently endorsed credit balance refund checks associated with my account. However, in hindsight it is clear they were aware, but did not inform the customer.

Given time to think about the previous conversation, in December 2006 I called again to inquire if any other Credit Balance Refund Checks had been sent to me previously. The American Express Customer Service representative said there is no record of my account.

I repeated my request on dozens of separate occasions only to be told they had no record of my account.

After more than two years and hundreds of hours of effort, I received in March 2009 acknowledgement from American Express that three Credit Balance Refund Checks payable through First Union Bank, now Wachovia Bank Ft. Lauderdale Florida totaling $10, 370.45 were mailed to me in 2001 and had cleared. I replied that I did not receive these checks.

I requested images of the checks to prove the signature endorsing the checks was not my signature. American Express refused to provide images of the endorsed checks.

American Express was in possession of my signature on file as well as the signature on the fraudulently endorsed checks. Comparing the signatures made the fraud evident to them. However, they continued to refuse to provide the account owner with a copy of the checks.

Previously, whenever I asked American Express why I did not receive a statement for a given month they told me not to worry; it is their policy to not send statements when there is no activity for the account. On none of these occasions when I called did they inform me that credit balance refund checks sent to me had been fraudulently endorsed.

• Mu
                        MumLuv5 Nov 15, 2009

Hey ScamTraxx,

I was so glad I had read your post. I FEEL THE SAME WAY. Except I am completely at a lost on what I can do. One month ago, AMEX ( Gold Business Card ) reduced my line of credit to exactly what I had owed. That was half! Now making it look like I am MAXED out. Then a week later, I get a rude call from the credit department saying they require that I FAX over my TAX forms from the past 3 years! I refused! I have NEVER been late and always made more than minimum. Despite the US economy going to the toilet.. where 95% of my business is... I still managed to survive and depended on my AMEX.

Just now, I logged on to my account. CANCELLED. You can imagine how upset I am. Why would they cancel a perfect customer who has never been late or deliquent with any accounts? They are punishing good customers?

I would join a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.

I will keep a watch out for your posts!

J from Calgary

• Sc
                        ScamTrax Feb 18, 2009

Hello friend of the mentally ill, I me and all the voices in my head are happy to meet you.
                        How much do you think I think I know, and what is half of that? And how did you get inside my head to evaluate that? Cool trick.
                        Extortion and treason are the same meaning, I am just exaggerating a point. There is also humor in everything I say and do. Even my rants are funny and I am laughing as I write this. You have to be highly aware to laugh at the sickness out there. It would only cost me about 50 grand to make a point in the high court’s on this one, corporate and banker crime. My time in law school was not long enough to know for certain what the outcome would be. They would lose something and all I would get is some useless glory, big deal, and a thankless public who cannot understand the need to learn the top secret banker scam stuff that is going on.
                        Update. Today I logged in to run the numbers and evaluate where I am now. As we all know Amex has reduced a perfect credit customer by 10%. I talked with one of MY BANKERS and he said that he has other perfect credit customers that AMEX has done this too. Someone in AMEX policy making is a crook or evil or stupid. I side with evil.
                        And guess this blows all your “thinkers” away that have taken law in college like I did, my other bank card from VISA just increased my available credit by 22%. So I am up overall and down on AMEX for sure now, scammers.
                        Within 30 days all my APX and all my associates APX is going in the toilet, sold at the next high mark. Million will be extracted from APX for this attempt at burning good capital off the streets of north America.
                        PS I feed 100 homeless lunches every Thursday at the Church for the mentally ill. That is $1, 200 a month. I don’t have to let them starve on account of the trickle down corruption of AMEX now.

• Ad
                        Adrian Feb 18, 2009

I think you have some serious mental issues my friend. If you knew half as much as you think you know, then you would realize that credit criteria has changed. The scoring models with all three credit reporting agencies have changed. The risk models that all banks use have changed. And most of all, the definitions of extortion and treason have changed since you last looked at them I guess, because nothing you have written even remotely fits. How is AMEX lowering your line of credit a crime against king and country? If you are so important that this could be, then you wouldn't be this mad that your line of credit was affected. You would just go on your merry way. In fact, if you were this rich and powerful then you wouldn't be restricted to a Platinum card. You'd have the Centurion card and be able to flex your 'oh so powerful' muscles even more.

You need some rage management help and you need to get a little more realistic about how credit card companies and banks work. You say you have all this information about them, but you are clearly clueless as to how they work now. Your complaint isn't even a valid one. It is just something that happens when the economy changes and banks have to reassess how they figure risk. You would know that if you really did do all the things you say you did.

American Expresscard closed, wrong info!

After just three weeks of being APPROVED and using my new American Express card, the card was promptly closed on me before the first bill was even due! The reasons they gave for closing the card were inaccurate and after sending in paperwork (my credit score and credit report from Experian, the place in which they say they got all this information) that proved the reasons were wrong, they sent me a letter stating my card would not be reinstated. Why? They used the same reasons I just proved were wrong! My favorite reason is I was past due in the last 12 months with them. Funny. I've never had an American Express card before. They've acknowledged I've never been late with them, EVER, and that that reason was a mistake but it didn't stop them from using it as a reason yet again for not reinstating my card. I will fight this until the card is reinstated as I don't want this to effect my credit score since it was based off of false information. Once it is reinstated I will promplty close the card. I want nothing to do with American Express, ever. If you don't have one of their cards, thank your lucky stars. Terrible customer service, terrible practices. And one other thing. They might have gotten rid of me because I shopped at Walmart for Christmas presents when the card was opened. I hardly ever shop there but found the best prices for toys this year. (I always pay in full. on time, and am never late) Apparently they don't like it if you shop at Walmart and think Walmart shoppers are credit risk type people. Check out Clark Howards website for more information. Stay away from American Express!

• Nr
                          NR1 Apr 30, 2009

My husband's card was also closed by American Express and we got to know about it when he tried to swipe his card.
                          They didn't even bother to inform us that his card will be closed. Thank God, he had a backup card. But why is AMEX discontinuing the card out of the blue and without giving any reason.

American Express Credit cardfalse pretense

American Express sent me an invitation offered credit cards application with deal that if I spend $500.00 before between December 1, 2008 to February 26, 2009 I can earn bonus points and be eligible for 2 domestic flight. I had bad experience with American Express once long time ago, but I though I give it a chance. I get approved for Rewards Plus Gold Card and earned 51, 007 points from spending according to agreement. On January 29, 2009, I received letter from American Express informed that my account has been canceled due to " I did not provide the financial document and/or income tax return information requested" and the letter also thread me with under these circumstances may result in negative reporting of this account to the consumer reporting agencies. When I applied for credit card all my personal information had been given included my work address and my home address. American Express keep sent the bills to my company head-quarter and were forward to my home address. Finally the last billing statement and the letter of cancellation come to my home address. My complaints is American Express offered with the false pretense for consumer to go and change on the credit card and then decided to cancelled the credit card and void the reward points. I was not late or over-due on the bill. I am suggesting that if anyone wants to have an American Express you might think before you do, don't waist you times and effort and get your blood pressure up for it.

Marilyn Bloch Dec 29, 2017

American Express charged me for things I never bought. They refused me dispute resolution.

Marilyn Bloch Dec 29, 2017

American Express charges you for things you never have bought.

Marilyn Bloch Dec 29, 2017

American Express charged me for purchases I never made and refused to put the charge in Dispute Resolution forcing me to pay for something I do not have or will never have from Palm Beach Jewelry.

Marilyn Bloch Dec 29, 2017

I was charged for a purchase I did not make from the Palm Beach Jeweler that I never ordered and never received and now American Express refuses to let me put it in dispute resolution.

American Expressunauthorized charges

12/22/08 I received a $50 American Express gift card as a Christmas gift from a friend in Plano, TX. I tried to use the card that very evening at a nearby Walmart to purchase some last minute gift for my child. The self-check out would not accept the card so I asked an employee to finish my transaction at her terminal. The card kept spitting out receipts with zero balances. I paid for my items with cash and called AMEX when I got home 30 minutes later. I was told that my friend who purchased the card needed to call them with her receipt information before they would investigate.

12/30/08 I sent an email to my friend letting her know what happened and she called AMEX herself. They told her I'd spent the money already and that she could see the transaction online. I went online myself and checked and the website said the information was unavailable. I called AMEX again; just as one other gift card victim experienced the agent explained that although the receipt claimed the card was activated it was not and contained a balance of $0 not $50. I too was told to fax over copies of the receipt, front and back of gift card plus the packaging, a photo id, my name, address, phone number.

01/05/09 faxed over all items; no response from AMEX that information was received

01/08/09 still no response from AMEX so I called yet again. My first call was directed to the resolution department's extension which rang three times and hung up. I called customer service again and the agent Michelle says they did receive my faxed information.

01/14/09 still no response from AMEX. Agent Gail says they are sending me a letter to my home with an update to my case but would not tell me what the letter would say.

01/23/08 still no response from AMEX. Agent Kat says the letter was sent on 1/14 but would take 10 business days (talk about snail mail) to arrive at my home. I found the letter waiting for me when I got home and was sent into total shock when I read it. AMEX claims that I sent them the wrong receipt (total lie!!!) and that it did not match their information. Not only that but if I did not sent them the correct receipt immediately that the case would be closed. This is crazy!!! They show in their system the exact store that I was at when this fiasco occurred, I send them a receipt from that store showing the same timeframe, but my receipt is unacceptable????

Are they really that starved for money? If they treat non-customers this way I can't imagine how actual customers are treated. This has been a month of hell and many times I just said forget it, it was the thought that counts, but I can't back down from a scandal like this. This is total nonsense and I want them to credit my card or my friend for her original funds. It's one thing to read about these nightmares, it's quite another to live through.

• Ex
                              exw27 Jul 22, 2011

What ever happened with this? They are such thieves. They just stole $833 dollars from me. It's disgusting that businesses can run however they want with no recourse.

• De
                              Derek Jun 11, 2009

I feel American Express treats their customers badly and will do whatever they can to make as much money off of you. I had been a customer for over 10 years and had been paying faithfully and on time for years. Then, last year we received a notice--after we made some rather large charges -- that we no longer had a credit limit and that any new charges we incur would be due at the end of the month. I have no idea why this was done other than American Express wanted to get their money back and hurt us financially. I had paid off the card last month finally and tried to close the account before the membership amount was due, but because of delays by American Express, they charged me another $85 for membership renewal even though the amount owed was paid in full and we requested the account closed. I truly feel ripped off by American Express and will never use any of their products ever again.

• To
                              todd Apr 02, 2009

I too had a $25, 000. limit never going above 12k. I recived the phone call of the lower limit. And after paying $4, 000. on my card thinking that would stop them from ever lowering my limit again...not the case . today three months after the time ..they did it again know $9, 900.limit when I have a $8, 800. balance.

I would love to join a lawsuit, this cannot be legal to play games with peoples FICO score.

T Warlick
                              long Beach, CA

• Su
                              Sullivan Feb 28, 2009

I received a letter from AE saying that my card was canceled due to a bankruptcy that I filed for. I have never filed bankruptcy and I am not in the process of doing so. After hours of fighting with the completely surly and incompetent AE front line staff and supervisors, I found out that they had recorded another account holder's bankruptcy in error to my account. The error was due to a data entry error on their end.

AE refuses to send a letter of error and to confirm or deny whether or not they reported the erroneous closure of my account due to bankruptcy to the credit reporting agencies. I am waiting to receive my credit report. Can't view it on line due to 'freeze' on credit, which indicates to me that AE's incompetency has had a negative effect on my good credit.

AE has refused to take accountability for their error. They did send a new card, which I promptly shredded (never will use that card again). And the real kicker of this, is they sent a card with conditions of use indicating a higher interest rate than the card I previously held with an excellent rate which I earned over years of low balance and steady payment history.

Warning to all AE card holders, if AE makes an egregious error to your account be prepared for days of fighting with them, zero customer assistance, being treated poorly and a refusal to document the error and provide you with a statement of error and correction.

It seems ridiculous that I may actually end up having to hire an attorney to get AE to clean up their damage.

Check to make sure your payments are getting posted correctly and you may want to check to make sure no one else is getting your account information through the process of filing a bankruptcy! If they can record another account holder's bankruptcy to your account, do they also disclose your account number to the person whom filed bankruptcy? Makes you wonder who across the world may get your account information handed to them by AE.

AE doesn't give a RIP about customers in good standing. Actions speak louder. than words.

Robin Jan 31, 2009

I own a small cosmetic company that sells all natural skincare and cosmetics via the Internet. Recently my company was ripped off by a customer who presented herself as a new eligible business. She provided me with her tax ID, her address and her website address and she placed 2 big wholesale orders in June 2008.

She had paid by American Express card. Both her orders were processed and shipped to her billing address within 48 hours by USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation. Almost 6 months later, in November, she contacted American Express and claimed that she had never authorized the purchase with my company, without ever having notified my company at all.

American Express had never informed me of her claim and charged back my bank account. I faxed them all the necessary evidence of the order having been sent and delivered to the customer's address. I spent 2 days on the phone trying to convince them that I had 2 legitimate orders from this customer, that were approved by American Express and the charge was authorized by them. Nothing helped!

American Express never notified me of any of this. After having spent 2 days on the phone they admitted that they sent the notification to some incorrect address. This, their error, did not affect their policy. 25 days after they supposedly mailed me a notice they instituted the chargeback. All I know is I never received anything from them and was not aware of any of this until I saw a chargeback on my bank statement 6 months after the original transaction. Dispite their error they automatically instituted a chargeback and informed me that any further dispute is between me and the 'customer'.

Needless to say that I canceled my merchant account with American Express but I still lost my hard earned money.

American Express' merchant policies only encourage online robberies, product theft and online fraud. My complaint is that by the nature of their chargeback policies American Express fairly encourages fraudulent chargebacks and practically encourages unscrupulous thieves in a commission of their fraudulent crimes.
                              Not only was I ripped off by my 'customer' but more over I am convinced that American Express behaved is nothing less than an accomplice in this crime. American Express behaved callously and offered me as one of their participating merchants no protection whatsoever, despite their own errors in this matter.

• Valerie Oct 10, 2008

I just received a letter from American Express stating that they were revising our corporate credit limit down to $8, 000. Our current balance is around $7800. We've had credit as high as $25, 000 on this account. We've had the account since 1996 and have never made a late payment. As a result of this decision, two of our 3 employees will not be payed today and will have to wait until next week.

My concern is not that they lowered the limit. My problem is that they did it without calling or warning or even offering a one week or so grace period. We could have made other arrangements. But obviously, They are not concerned with helping the small businesses they claim to care so much about. Shame on you American Express. We will be closing our account with you and will tell as many associates as we can about your treatment of our company.

American ExpressUnauthorized billing

American Express never notified me of any of this. After having spent 2 days on the phone they admitted that they sent the notification to some incorrect address. This, their error, did not affect their policy. 25 days after they supposedly mailed me a notice they instituted the chargeback. All I know is I never received anything from them and was not aware of any of this until I saw a chargeback on my bank statement 6 months after the original transaction. Despite their error they automatically instituted a chargeback and informed me that any further dispute is between me and the 'customer'.

• Wa
                                Wayne Nov 07, 2008

You don't own the card/account, American Express does. So you want to file a fraud claim for charges that the card issuer put on "your " account? This doesn't sound right. Your story doesn't make any sense. Additionally, the card issuer gave you credit for the charge. I'm sure Amex got consent to enroll you in the magazine. I'm sure you didn't completely read some sweepstakes form or other promotion that was sent to you.

JAMES WARBURTON Dec 06, 2007

American Express is a very powerful company and gets away with a lot of abuses. That are not generally known until an individual uncovers one on a bad day, as above. Most people won't spend the time to deal with this and Amex knows it.

• Mi
                                mistygirl06374 Nov 29, 2007

You are correct on this. If u did not order something and it is sent to you anyway, you are NOT obligated to pay for it and they cannot do this on your behalf.

Contact your state attorney general.

Contact your local media.

Fight Back!!!

• Ca
                                CAROL F. Oct 05, 2007

On Friday, October 05, 2007 at approximately 700 pm, pst, I contacted American Express Card Company and spoke to a card account representative who stated that she would remove the charge from my account. I then inquired as to how this charge was authorized in the first place.

She then stated “We mail out non-requested magazine subscriptions to our card members and if they don’t respond we automatically charge their account with the annual subscription amount. Again I asked who authorized this charge and she replied we just automatically charge it to your account. I asked for a way to make a formal complaint as to how they are automatically deciding on my behalf and without my consent to apply charges to my account. She then gave me an address (American Express, PO Box 981542, El Paso, TX 79998) to send a dispute/complaint letter to and stated that this is just the way they do things at American Express at which time we ended our conversation. I will be pursuing fraudulent credit card charges against American Express because they charged something to my account without my consent. Just because I hadn't responded to the magazine offer thru American Express doesn't mean they have the right to automatically charge my account. Based upon the fact that my LACK OF RESPONSE to their magazine subscription does not give them the right to charge anything without my consent. The question is how many other American Express card holders are being charged for magazine subscriptions who hadn't responded to a non-solicited magazine.

American Express — overcharged

Hey american express customers... is this happening to you? I open a american express account about a year...

American Expressfraud and cheating

That's right folks with a credit score of 719 I found out today that American Express, just this morning, lowered my credit limit on my American Express Business Platinum card. They lowered my limit to $400 dollars above my current limit.

I just made a payment of $1, 000 on this card last week. I was no where near my limit but my charge was rejected, wouldn't you know, when I was trying to buy airline tickets to take my family vacation.

This is a new practice that the financial world is now employing if you haven't heard about it, let me share what I know. They now do periodic reviews of your credit and based on their questionable formulas of the debt ratio you have on other cards and other information about your credit that doesn't pertain to the account you have with them at all, they make decisions to lower or even cut off your credit.

This is what we get for bailing them out with billions. I am sure all the fat cats at the top got their bonuses and instead of opening up the lines of credit to encourage confidence and spending, they are going into a hoard mode. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I have been a member with AMX since 1981, usually the gold card that you pay off at the end of the month. So AMX comes out with this new business card plan and offer me this card to purchase equipment for start up and now they cut my limit in half.

What a way to stimulate the economy and encourage more economic growth. Cut available credit so you can't expand. This is only the tip of the iceberg I am afraid. But as for American Express, they have lost a loyal customer that will find another place to do business.

• He
                                  HessKWEM Mar 20, 2009

What can we do as a group to stop this? If you read all of these AMEX stories from customers who truly don't deserve this, from this website and many, many more...there has to be a way to get this resolved. There must be a lawyer or congressman that will take this on and expose this situation. Maybe CNN, GMA or 20/20 can do a story and expose this now, not later after AMEX has done all this damage to good people and their credit scores!