American Express Logo

American Express

Having problems with American Express?

American Express reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 21, 2006. The latest review accessing my account was posted on Apr 2, 2021. The latest complaint refuse to reserve the emergency credit was resolved on Jul 16, 2014. American Express has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 296 reviews. American Express has resolved 144 complaints.

American Express Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 528 4800 (Personal Cards)
+1 800 492 3344 (Small Business)
+1 800 528 5200 (Merchant Service)
+1 800 528 2122 (Corporate Cards, Cardmembers Only)
+1 888 800 8564 (Corporate Cards, Program Administrators Only)
+1 800 492 3932 (Platinum Customer Service)
+1 800 297 3276 (Membership Rewards)
+1 800 297 2977 (Reservations for Air, Hotel & Card Rentals)
+1 800 297 5627 (Cruises)
+1 800 446 6307 (Personal Savings)
+1 800 954 0559 (American Express Serve)
+1 877 297 4438 (American Express Gift Cards)
+1 800 221 7282 (Gift or Travelers Cheques)
+1 844 273 1384 (American Express Loans)
200 Vesey Street
Sat24h
Sun24h

American Express Complaints & Reviews

American Expressnasty phone calls

I have been a customer of American express for about 4 years. I never had any problems until I got a little behind recently on my monthly payments... Most companies understand and have been very good to work with me, NOT American Express; they have a collection agency out of Florida that is absolutely horrible to deal with. I have gone out of my way to work with them and pay my debt, They want full payment of 12 grand ASAP, they have threatened me with lawsuits, leans on my house, , they will not give me a break on the payments or interest. All I get is nasty phone calls, threats and everything else... I want to pay my debt but because of their business practices, they are making it impossible.

• De
      Defenderofyou Dec 11, 2009

I have had the same thing happen to me and I am also very upset about these tactics. I can tell you this. It only takes 5 people that have the same type of issue to come forward with a claim of unfair and deceptive trade practices to the Attorney General of New York. My credit has unfairly been impacted by this program of which I faithfully complied with. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of individuals being affected by these actions and I think it should be illegal. I am consulting an attorney and will fully pursue any and all remedies. Under the freedom of information act, news agencies can nudge government about any investigations being done in unfair and deceptive trade practices. They must produce documents under these requests. There is no more hiding and I bet this gets bigger and gains the attention of not only the board of directors but stockholders and stakeholders alike. I think they have a real up and comming PR issue here. Maybe they will be able to see the error of thier ways and contact 10 year members and say..hey, we might have screwed up here and need to make this right, then again maybe they just run the risk of facing more srutiny with continuing to mistreat thier customers.

• Le
      leaving Sep 10, 2009

Same thing happened to me. I closed my accounts with them and asked to be put on a payment plan. The first three months went fine, I paid on time...Then they sent a letter telling me I did not comply with the plan. When I called to find out what it was all about, I was told by an account manager that he did not have any idea why I was bumped from the Plan. He had put in an appeal and it was denied. I am now dealing with a collection agency that says they are working for American Express, and they are demanding pymt in full. I honestly want to pay my bill but can't do it all at once.

• Tu
      Tubal Aug 29, 2009

This has nothing to do with American Express. You got behind on your bills, they sold your debt to a collection agency. Even if they WANTED to help you out, they can't, because your debt doesn't belong to them anymore.

American Express Optimaraising interest rates

Just got the same letter everyone else has gotten about American Express raising their rates. Not only are the existing rates usurous in view of the ridiculously low rates in the market today, the new rates are positively shameful. Thus, after being a customer for 28, count 'em 28 years, I have cancelled my account and three other accounts held by family members. I'd like to see how you're going to recoup earnings now, Amex! All the good, loyal customers are going to ditch you and leave you with all the deadbeats. You deserve it!

• Am
        AmexHater Aug 21, 2009

I got the same letter on about the same date. A notice of intent to raise APR. So I called to say, fine, close my account, I'll pay off at the existing rate. Guess what? The very apologetic Customer Service lady said no, actually you can close your account, but we're still going to raise your rate. When I expressed shocked disbelief, she said, "Well, the law changes today so we had to do it."

In other words, "Before they make what we intend to do illegal, we're going to screw as many of our customers as we can." I pointed out that what they were doing was unique in my experience -- i.e., I've had other cards notify me of their intention to raise interest rates, but never had one behave so dishonorably as to unilaterally raise my rates despite closing my account. "Yeah, I'm really sorry, " the nice lady said.

She sounded genuinely ashamed to be party to what the company was doing. I can't blame her. It's like working for one of those telephone operations where they sell fake burial plots or cancer insurance to fleece old people out of their savings.

It is disgusting to think that the law, until now, allowed a company to do as Amex is doing in this case. Amex, despite its carefully groomed image, has decided instead to throw in with the bottom feeders: the loan sharks, war profiteers, companies that sell spoiled food to Third World countries, all with the excuse, "Well, it's legal."

I'm writing to my congressman, both senators, every Amex celebrity spokesman and sending off press releases (talk is admittedly cheap, but at some point one of the press releases will get picked up). And of course closing my account, which I've since 1995. Never made an easier decision in my life.

They're slime.

American Express — interest rate increase

Just got a letter from American Express dated 8/4/09 that they are raising my interest rate. Not beause of a...

American Express Credit cardlowerin credit limit/late fee

About a year ago I signed up for the automatic payment with American Express, in Oct 08 I received a letter saying that my payment was late and I was getting charged a late fee. I called American Express and explained to them how I could not be late because I was actually in their automatic payment program. In other words, they have access to my bank account to take out my payment without me worrying right? Wrong. They stated it was a computer problem and they would fix everything. Well low and behold my interest went up the next month, which I called and complained. They lowered back where it was before. However, the next month I paid 10K off of my 17k bill and they immediately lowered my credit limit. The letter stated due to late payments and too much credit on other amex account which was a zero balance. ?? I called again and they said the computer automatically generated the lowering of the credit limit. OK but what about my credit score now? I was in the upper 700's but now that I started paying off my credit cards other credit companies have started to lower their limits as well. All this means is even though I'm paying off my credit cards and trying to be a good consumer I'm getting it in the ### in the end because my credit report is only going to show me being maxed out on my credit cards as long as they keep lowering the limits as soon as I pay something down. Does this sound ridiculous and illegal to anyone else?e

American Expressdenying they sent e-mail offer for 35,000 miles

I received an e-mail offer from NWA/Delta and Amex on May 1st, 2009 giving me an offer of 35, 000 miles for signing up for the Delta Sky Miles Amex. The e-mail was from account [protected]@nwemail.nwa.com. It stated that I would get 25, 000 miles on my account once I had made $1, 000 in purchases within the first three months. And then the remaining 10, 000 would be posted afterward.

I applied for the card, and spoke with an agent regarding the offer and she confirmed it was valid and that my husband could sign up for it too.

I made $1, 000 in purchases within the first month and paid off the card in full. I saw 15, 000 miles applied to my account, and I was confused because I thought it was supposed to be 25, 000 and then another 10, 000. So I called Amex and spoke with an agent who now said it was going to be 15, 000 and then two more increments of 10, 000 miles. I patiently waited until August to see the miles show up, and they never have. I called Amex and spoke with an agent today who denied that they ever sent me such and offer. Luckily I saved the e-mail offer, faxed and e-mailed it to them. They are also denying that such an offer ever existed now!

I e-mail NWA and Delta executives about the issue too. I'm a great customer with an 800+ credit score and a high limit who likes to travel frequently. I've never had an AMEX before, and I probably won't if they don't remedy the problem for both me and my husband in the next 15 days.

American Expressblock the card without any reason

American Express blocked my corporate credit card account without notifying me. I have consistently paid my balance in full each month, and have never missed a single payment. When i had got a last call from american express the female said your bill is being outstanding. I replied her that if you might have send the bill across then it is being paid. i am not going to seat and see that the bills are being paid or not as being the director of the company.
          A very poor service.
          That female didnt like my tone that is the reason she blocked my card this is the respect and attitude they show to their customers. And block card because of their personal likings or dislikings.
          My main concern is that this event will negatively affect my credit rating. As far as the account goes, I am happy to be rid of it and will vigorously campaign against American Express for their unfair business practices.
          AMEX cardholders should BEWARE! It is sick company.

• Pl
              plditallo Nov 30, 2009

Thanks for leaving your experience online re: AMEX on the complaints board. I wish these practices were ONLY relegated to American Express--but such practices are pervasive in the credit industry in general. I have started a new, free social network where I hope all of us can keep each other alert to these types of practices. I'd love to have you join!:-)

American Expresscancelled card, no notice, loss of rewards points

My Blue Sky card was canceled the day after I paid off my balance. I found this out when I went to use my card and it didn't work so I called customer service to see why my card didn't work to find out they closed my accounts.

I never missed a single payment (on any account) during the 4 years I had the card and my credit rating had gone up since I opened the account. I lost all my travel points and the insurance on an upcoming trip.

I did some research and found out the contact information for the SVP of Card operations. I called Ms Camaraza's office and spoke to her assistant, he was understanding yet offered no resolution. Their form of resolution was to credit me the finance charges for my last months statement... What a joke! My travel points and trip insurance were worth hundreds more.

I urge you to voice your own complaints to Ms. Camaraza's office via her email or her assistant's phone number below. They need to understand the poor business decision they have made by canceling loyal customers' accounts.

Doria Camaraza
            Senior Vice President, Card Operations
            777 American Express Way
            Ft. Lauderdale, Fl 33337

[protected]
            doria.m.[protected]@aexp.com

Her assistant's contact information is:

James Schindler
            Executive Assistant
            Executive Office
            American Express

[protected] ext. 56812
            james.c.[protected]@aexp.com

• Re
                ReamedByAmex Jan 20, 2011

No point touching base with James. He is no good. Just the true blue american express Blooded person. Dont waste your time.. (like I did) with this. Just move on to other Credit cards. Yes, Amex may offer benefits, but at cost of stores expenses and more and more are dropping Amex. Plus, Visa and Mastercard is very competitive and reliable. I am done giving these dorks any business..

• Dk
                DK-42 Oct 13, 2009

Agreed. I had gift cards canceled for no reason, and when I called, Jeri, ext. 55214, was the rudest most unprofessional 'supervisor' I had to speak with. I am actually closing down my card thanks to this snob.

• Er
                EraseYourDebt Jul 02, 2009

It is time we as customers show the corporate banks they cannot survive without us. Remember American Express is in more business that just credit cards. Keep that in mind when you have the opportunity to become a customer. Remember this post and how they treat their customers. I have had a similar issue and they refuse to restore my credit line to what it was. So I refuse to do business with anything boasting the American Express name. In addition, I am making it known, how responsible customers with a long standing history are treated. Please check out my blog @ http://creditlinedecrease.blogspot.com/

American Expressunethical credit line management

Boycott American Express
              American Express does not value customers.

American Express can and will cut your credit line at will! Additionally, they no longer move any of your available credit between cards!

Most importantly, thier revolving 'Plum' card is worst of all. They cut our credit line down around 80% on that card even though we had no outstanding balance. And no late payments on any cards.

Furthermore, American Express sends out requests for financials sometimes, and though they are optional, if you don't send them in American Express will cut your line down though they give you no warning of this either.

Boycott American Express. They have no regard for your history, how long you've been a card member, how dependable you are with payments, or how much you've spent with them in the past. They could care less.

The only way to show them that this total disregard for customers is unacceptable is to hit em where it hurts, their wallet. Boycott American Express. Stop using the American Express Card. It may have a few perks, but when you you think you can depend on them, they'll screw you in a heartbeat.

Check out this quote: "Tom Sclafani, a spokesman for American Express, said credit lines offered when the economy was booming might not be appropriate when growth contracts. The company has been cutting credit lines based in part on the overall debt level of the business.
              “What we are trying to do is strike a balance between a customer’s spending needs and managing credit risk, ” he said.

American Express offered the first credit card tailored to small business 20 years ago. Other companies came onto the playing field over the last decade, when a healthy economy turned small businesses into a lucrative source of new accounts as the consumer market became saturated."

Source of quote: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/19/business/smallbusiness/19credit.html?ref=business

I recommend all small business owners to save more to self fund and boycott American Express. They won't be there when you need them. They don't deserve your business. They cannot be trusted or depended upon.

• Ny
                  NYLisa Nov 16, 2009

yeah well u can thank the new credit card laws and the greedy fat cats on Wall Street who stole all the money and gave us this recession. I had no hand in this recession, did you? Why are we suffering for it? It's very unfair, well this is the cost of living in a dog eat dog country where only the rich can survive.

American Expressautopay

5 letters to Amex, last ones to CEO's:
                Steve.[protected]@aexp.com
                Judson.C.[protected]@aexp.com

Auto pay is designed to generate late fees and finance charges. Sign up takes 45 days, any changes you need to cancel and re-apply and that takes another 1.5 billing cycles. Amex computer pay site AND autopay are not linked. So your bank account info such as default bank, will not be same as autopay, (if you have more than 1 bank account) Two separate companies, yet on same site! Amex is behind the software update time frame. Also notice when you sign up to auto-pay it defaults to the 20 day payment date? That is designed to generate last day to pay bill, so if there is a problem, too late for you to phone or do a computer payment. Zap with late and finance charges. I even tried to pay ahead and Amex wont take $$. For Email addresses go to Corp. site and look at media contact to get email format and then to corp management site to get names!!

Any changes to auto-pay takes 1.5 billing cycles! Poor. I have made changes to Auto-pay, and thinking that industry standard is 3-4 business days for payment changes, I get late fees and finance charges, because American Express is not consumer friendly. Your online site NEEDS updating, code script re-written, Auto-pay and online computer pay sites linked to share information. Or BOLD CAPS DISCLAIMER informing consumers any changes will take affect after 45 days! Your own customer service reps agree site is poor, and designed to generate fees for Amex. I've sent the normal letters to "Email Us" as viewed in the attachment, noting my frustration on Amex lack of updating software. I even try to prepay my outstanding balance, by $2000 to have a credit balance and can't! I have to wait for a billing cycle? A customer wants to give you money and Amex won't take it?

Marklashendock Jun 21, 2018

American Express - Bad experience:
                    After 32 years as a member I have had it with American Express and today canceled the card.
                    Over the past two years American Express has converted my billing to electronic system automatically without my consent. And then my US mail delivery of us statement was discontinued without my consent. Then American Express failed to deliver an electronic notification of a due bill. And proceeded to charge me late fees month after month after month. This has happened four times. Today I got fed up with their failed business practices and canceled my card after 32 years of ownership. That was in April 2018 now and June 2018 I received another bill from them after having canceled my card in April for $226.95 with compounded late fees and after never receiving statements from American Express since January 2018. So I had to call again today in June to dispute this charge is for an account that was canceled in April. Of course, that entailed an hour or more of time on the phone been put on hold being passed on to other people put on hold past and additional people I could I could speak with someonet o resolve The matter. So now they tell me that now my account is cancel it wasn't canceled back in April but is canceled now I was successful however to have them waive the late fees because they did not send me a paper statements in in the mail as I required. American Express is dead to me finally after 32 years and two months. I never want to deal with this company ever again in my life.

• Lm
                    LMFL Dec 03, 2013

This is the same story as mine. Absolutely, hands down, the worst customer service I have ever had with a credit card company. The "update your bank account" link will ONLY update instant payment and not autopay. However, you won't know this because nowhere on the page does it say that you also have to update your bank account information with autopay as well. You won't know you needed to have done this until they send you an email AFTER it's too late to do anything about it. I got charged a $25.00 fee. When I explained to the customer service rep and then her supervisor that I indeed updated my bank account information correctly they kept repeating over and over that I also needed to have updated in autopay. I kept asking how I was supposed to know that when it didn't indicate that anywhere on their site. They just got beligerant and told me that it was my fault and proceeded to lecture me on how I need to be more aware of where my payments were coming from. I could not believe what I was hearing. I still don't think they understood the problem. Account is being closed ASAP!!! I will only use Discover from here on out.

• Sr
                    SriP Oct 29, 2013

These guys are idiots...I was kicked out if autopay for some reason that I still was told and charged me fees...I am canceling my card - absolutely worthless customer service.

• Nk
                    NKP1 Feb 25, 2013

I had the EXACT same problem. Spent hours on the phone. I have a recorded conversation with them. Even with the CORRECT bank info (verified by them 4 times), their system wouldn't allow me to make an electronic payment. I couldn't pay them and they were charging me interest. Definitely a racket! They don't even care in the end if you stick with their card or not. I've had amex for 5 years but I think this is it!

American Express Travelcancellation

Feb 22, 2009 reservations made Double Tree Hotel.
                  May 27, 2009 Called to add a second person to the second room.
                  Diana at American Travel cld the hotel. Put me on hold. Upon return told me the hotel was not accepting resrvations, closed to college students month of August. I said, when we get there we won't have a place to stay. Answer, yes, therefore I cancelled the reservation and asked if my credit card would be credited, she said yes.
                  Now I see I am being penalized for the cancellation. Question how can one be penalized when there would not be a place to stay in August.
                  5/30/09 cld American travel again spoke with Clifton who cld the hotel and came back with a different story. They were honoring the rooms already booked. Now why did Diana tell me different? I would not have cancelled. Misinformation was given and therefore I should be credited the $540.92 to my American Express card. This penalty should not be applied in this case. This is still May several months from August and not a last minute cancellation. Misinformation was communicated therefore I should expect to see a credit on my credit card. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
                  I may have to take this to a higher authority if not resolved.
                  Check google and you will see UMASS Lowell has aquired Doubletree.
                  Your American travel reps need to understand and communicate the americans in the way Clifton did. Diana did not inform correctly nor clearly.

American Expressnotice of future card charge refusal

I've held an Amex card since 1976, loved the convenience of being able to charge and pay in full each month whatever amount I needed to, use the rewards system etc. I gave each of my daughters their own card under my account so that they would have an emergency fund. I signed up with Amex Open/Blue i 2002 when I started my own business. Always paid on time, excellent credit rating. In May 2009, I started getting pressured by Amex Blue to pay off my business balance under the guise of offering me a 'promo', so that they could lower my credit limit. On my Platinum card, I've charged tens of thousands of dollars each year and today I received this email "
                    The balance on your account has reached a level where we must suspend your charging privileges."

The charges were $811!!! I called them and was told that my 'charging privileges' were based on my previous 6 months, that was news to me. I don't even want to think of my reaction if I were to be put in the situation where I would need to charge a purchase and getting it rejected - how embarrassing. I'll empty my rewards account asap and then will cancel, don't need that type of harassment from a financial 'partner'!

• Wr
                        Wronged in Harlingen Texas Jul 04, 2009

AmEx sent me the same email last night, time stamped at 7:30pm. NO phone call, NO letter...just this unjustified email. I have previously charged thousands of dollars per month, of business travel, airline tickets, hotel, car rental, and of course paid it before the amount was due each month. The current charges on my AmEx Green card is $600.00. I am "voting" with my right to use whichever card I choose by the card issuer that deserves my business. I have always been treated well by them for many years, UP UNTIL NOW. Doing the same, emptying my rewards points, paying off the card and not using it anymore. Wronged in Texas...

• Go
                        goinLAte Jun 29, 2009

i got the "phone call" this morning at 8:30am... demanding my balance of $1550 be paid immediately, so they could "unfreeze" my card. The bill isn't even due for 3 more days!!!

And then I though about it... they are trying to punish me by not allowing me to use their card. Oh well!!!

Jason May 28, 2009

I charge and pay off about $4K a month on my amex, never carry a balance. I am dreading that same email.

American Express — cancelled my card

The same thing just happened to me. I payed my amex balance off every month. I went and used the card on 5/18...

American Expressnewest shady practice

It's not new but American Express' new practice of lowering credit limits is very much in their favor. Since it is entirely possible that it will affect your credit score they are lowering credit limits and then turning around and using your new lower scores and debt/to credit ratios against you to hike rates and do some of the other things that they have been doing to their customers that they have had for years. I had a long conversation with a rep at AMX and the one big thing that they kept bringing up was my overall debt to available credit. They cut a $12, 200 AMX Blue limit to $3, 000. That will affect my credit rating I'm sure.
                      And then they turn around and use that against you.

What I came away with from my conversations with AMX is that they no longer want to be in the "credit" business. They are trying hard to get back to being a charge card company where everyone pays in full each month. Their main thing seems to be cards that have a balance for whatever reason. That want that money and they are actively asking for it. Every time I have talked with them they ask if I can make my payments "today", even if it is not due for 2 weeks. They asked me that for each card that I had with them the last time I spoke to them. They seem soooooo desparate it is pathetic.
                      They have absolutely no concern or consideration for their customers. Be warned.

What once was the mighty American Express is no more, and probably never will be.

• Mc
                          McMilln Aug 26, 2009

I have been a cardmember since 1989 - Amex gold and Amex Blue. Recently Amex slashed by credit limit on my Blue from 20, 400 to 6, 500. When I contacted them they said they are reviewing all customers, and because of the current market conditions they agreed to lower the limits on customers accross the board. In addition my Gold card which carries a balance on my 'Sign and Travel/and or Extended Payment Options' was recently cancelled, despite the fact that I pay each month. When I contacted Amex they claimed the decision to close my accounts was in part based on the fact that I was "delinquent" in April - I was less than a week late (not deliberately), and that I did not follow up on their request for "financial information" from me. The latter was a blatant lie, as I spoke with a rep who promised to send me "forms" via e-mail requesting tax forms, etc. I never received the forms. I had no intentions of sending them my tax info but was not even given the opportunity to do so. I think this is such a poor excuse to close my account. I don't know what their intentions are, but this is deception. After 20 years with Amex, I am very disgusted with them. I know treating long-standing customers in such a callous way will eventually backfire on them! Shame on you Amex.

American Express — debt collection

On Tuesday, January 20, 2009 I received a letter from American Express dated 1/14/2009 that stated my account...

American Express / Costco — rebate scam

COSTCO offers an American Express card service that gives 3% back on purchases at their gas station. I...

American Expressthey temporarily froze 2 business credit cards for a payment that was do on sunday and paid on monday

We had a payment due on a sunday that we didn't pay which was $39.99 for a second card that we rarely use. They locked both of our business credit card accounts by that Monday morning (our primary gold card is what we use for all business). We almost never pay even a day late and always pay what is owed. We paid the account on Monday and they unlocked the accounts, but I'm still Pissed! What kind of customer courtesy is that. I've been a loyal customer in good standing, but they halt my business for $39.99. Looking around for a new credit lender as we speak.
                        Keith

American Express (Costco Card)cancelled card

1. American Express reduced my line of credit some months ago, rendering the card virtually worthless for travel, even when making payments "as I went"!
                          2. Yesterday--May 1, 2009--I received written notice of cancellation.
                          In the approximately 2 years I have had this card I have paid by electronic transfer from my checking account as charges were posted. I was not late one time.
                          If anything, I was consistently too early in paying my bills, usually making up to 8 payments a month by the electronic payment feature.
                          Do you think this had anything to do with my cancellation? The fact that I paid so promptly?
                          Does anyone know if American Express (the corporation) is in serious trouble?

• Da
                              david Feb 18, 2010

I only got the card because they were promoting so heavily at the new Costco and it made shopping there easier. Who wants to use a debit card and get the additional charges.
                              So, months went by, we pay in full every month. Last month, we paid the minimum due and then get a call that they cancelled our card.
                              I call and am told since my credit limit is lower than it was when I got the card, they were cancelling. Attitude to me was like tough, its your fault.
                              Well, when the economy and my credit recover, I'll never get or recommend American Express.
                              Oh yeah, I am going back to Sams - no more Costco.
                              They just made my credit score go lower and I didn't wrong them at all.

American Express Delta Skymilesbait and switch intro bonus miles

I was solicited to switch to the Delta Skymiles card from American Express online while visiting the Northwest Airlines site. I signed up for a deal which stated that I would be given 25000 bonus miles after using the card for the first time and 25000 miles would be replenished when used for "pay with miles" program. A free companion airline voucher was also included. When the card arrived I found nothing confirming the above-mentioned terms. I called Amex and asked them to state the terms in their records. The customer service rep was rude and snotty immediately. She listened to my question and responded that the offer carefully stated that the terms which I signed up for were merely a possible award level that may or may not be awarded. Say What! I incredulously asked how they could make the offer only to rescind it once the customer had signed up to their cardholder agreement. I was told by the poor excuse for a service rep that that was precisely the policy!
                            I asked for a supervisor and was told that they wouldnt help me any further and when I asked to be transfered I was put on infinite hold.
                            I called back 15 minutes later and cancelled their cards and cut them up.
                            I post this here so that others will realize that this is the policy of American Express. They are using illegal bait and switch ads which once you've sold your soul to them they immediately renig on their end of the agreement. Screw that!
                            I'll sign up with US Banks Airline points card.
                            American Express Delta Skymiles Card Sucks!

• Ka
                                KatieFletcher Aug 06, 2009

I also received an e-mail offer from NWA/Delta and Amex on May 1st, 2009 giving me an offer of 35, 000 miles for signing. The first 25, 000 would be posted on my account once I had made $1, 000 in purchases within the first three months. And then the remaining 10, 000 would be posted afterward.

American Expressawful fraud

I've been an American Express holder since 1992 (Green card). About 2004/5 I opted for the AE Costco card for the 3%, 2%, 1% cash back program. In Mar '09 I talked with an AE rep about the AE Blue card, which advertises 5% cash back, and completed an over-the-phone application. I was told AE would transfer the balance (zero, as I pay in full each month) from my Costco card to the new card. When I received the Blue card I noted it was the same number as the Costco card, so was not really a new account. The literature informed me - for the first time - the Blue card reward was 1% cash back for the first $6, 500.00, and the 5% cash back kicked in at $6, 501.00. I called AE and voice my feelings over not being informed of this at the time I applied, but got nowhere. I told AE I wanted to revert to my old Costco account, they said they could not do that, I'd have to open a new Costco account if I wanted it. I did so. A few weeks later I received my new Costco card. AE had cut my limit from $11, 000 to $2, 000. When I called to ask why, I was told that's the limit for NEW accounts. I argued that the only thing new here was the number on the card. No joy, AE insisted that I would have to wait three months before I could request an increase and that would be limited to $6, 000. Then I'd have to wait another six months before I could request another increase. The rep said there was no guarantee I'd get the first increase much less the second. I've always paid my monthly bill in full PLUS what I know I've charged after the statement was mailed. I can see no legitment reason for AE to cut me off at the knees like this. What really pisses me off is that my wife is home for her daughters wedding, but I can't afford to go.

It is my opinion that AE tricks members into applying for the Blue card by advertising the 5% cash back reward, then switches them to lower limits if they decide to send the Blue card back when they find out they've been scammed.

I've written snail mails to the top three corporate officers, and one email and one snail mail to the office in charge of issuing cards and approving limits. The letters all went out by Mar 30, 09, today is Apr 18, 09. I have yet to receive a reply from any of them.

American Express/credit Securecancellation

I've been a member of American Express since 2007, and have never defaulted. In fact in quite a number of times, I even made payments twice a month during the billing period. I noticed that after I joined American Express/Credit Secure, my two American express accounts were cancelled without any forwarning. I find this disconcerting since this arbitary cancellation will affect my credit standing. I had other non-American Express credit cards with high balances, and I always paid them on time. No one at American express has given me a valid reason for the cancellations. Therefore, I am making this formal Complaint against their company's practice of cancelling memberships without notice or reason.

No Credit Secure please Nov 02, 2010

Same thing happened to me in 2008. I had a Costco American Express card. I had 2100 spending limit on it. I usually used to spend a lot almost close to my credit line, but I always paid them on time and whether in full or maybe 10 dollars less than the whole amount. My credit score was always between 710-750 and that is good for a 19/20 year old male. I joined credistecure from American Express and all the bad things started happening! The reduced my limit to 1600, a month later 1200, next mont 900 and they finally sent me a letter indicating that your account has been closed due to ... a lot of pardon my language, but crappy reasons. I made the last payment and American Express was gone out of my wallet. However they sent me my points cashback after 6 months as a check. Anyways, even though American express did this, none of my other 3 major credit cards closed my account to date. After two years I came back to Amex for their Platinum card which is a charge card, so they cannot say you have a high balance or etc. It is much more expansive than the other one ( 500$ annual membership) and really it is just a classy piece of plastic not much more. Anyways, I like the Amex platinum but I am sure of one thing and that is not to open the creditsecure with AMERICAN EXPRESS. NEVER EVER!