Menu
Yelp.com
reviews & complaints

Yelp.com
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

107 complaints
18 resolved 89 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Yelp.com. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
11:20 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

As an elite member of yelp from April 2011 to March 2012, the website encouraged me to post my real first name and real photos. When I was being harassed by a gang of yelpers and wrote to yelps headquarters, I was sent a no reply email, that the yelp community polices itself. Later yelp closed my account because obviously I complained too much about the...

View 0 more photos
N
2:18 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Don't trust Yelp. I was considering purchasing advertising on Yelp to help my business. I spent 54 minutes on the phone with a sales representative. While it looks like they offer some nice SEO and advertising I was, in the end, surprised at the monthly cost and declined to buy in. At that point the sales rep asked a few questions, then a few more, growing...

12:55 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

There was a false review that a wacko person made against my business since June 2010, I have sent complaints to yelp to remove this review since this is absolutely false! I don't know who this person is making this bad review against me, but yelp replied and inform me that they were not going to remove this review because they had an intelligent computer...

6:42 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hi Lucy, I see that Yelp has moved my open letter to Yelp, and the FAKE "reviews" to the filtered page. You seem to be doing an awful lot of juggling things around for a "filtering" algorithm that is supposed to work "automatically" You first moved two of the FAKE "reviews" to the filtered page after my first letter to you, and one 5 star legitimate...

9:16 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Gotcha yelp! proof that you published a fake review about my business - look at bottom of complaint. The same fake review that was posted about me on yelp had been previously been posted about others on other sites. see screen shot. 1 reviewjim l. Union city, nj 12/30/2011 dec 29, 2011 | 12:22pm pst Hi jim, Thank you for contacting yelp. We've looked...

View 0 more photos
10:20 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

DEC 29, 2011 | 12:22PM PST Hi Jim, Thank you for contacting Yelp. We've looked at the reviews by Sean T, Lindsey L and Monika K, and since they appear to reflect the personal experience and opinions of the respective reviewers, we are leaving them intact. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to verify that these reviewers have a conflict of interest...

H
5:48 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am an owner of recently open Thai restaurant. Below is solely my personal experience with Yelp that I would like to share. 1. Biggest mistake I made was talking to Yelp. Once they know I own the restaurant they keep on calling to get us to subscribe to $300 per month advertise with them. There is nothing wrong with that; however, there are no reason for...

J
2:55 pm

Yelp.com - Don't believe anything on yelp

Yelp is hot right now, I hope they crash and burn. Yes my account just got canceled, and I have just spent several hours checking out others experience on different sites. Go ahead, if your a business use them while they last. If your looking for a place to go, filtered reviews which lead to deleted reviews are more of the truth. Yelp will probably change this soon. Don't believe anything on yelp. Its a shakedown operation for businesses where positive reviews are the carrot and negative reviews the stick. For us, the curious public, its just a road they walk.

5 comments
Jan 08, 2016 2:20 pm

why are most of your restaurant menu's out of date... at least 2-3 years old

Jul 12, 2012 9:15 pm

i AM A SMALL BUSINESS OWNER.. YELP REMOVES ALL REVIEWS UNLESS WE AGREE TO PAY A MONTHLY FEE.

SCAM.. ILLEGAL... PLAIN WRONG..

J
Jul 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Who is this idiot Libbybastard? I have to agree, we have over twenty reviews on yelp yet only two show up. We have all positive reviews so shows positive, but the one that where filtered make no sense as to why they were filtered. If someone reviews a number of businesses on yelp why on earth would their reviews show up on some yet not others. A simple study of the filtered reviews for any business reveals that something VERY bogus is going on at Yelp. As far as I am concerned it is a completely useless and fraudulent website.

L
Jul 05, 2012 6:18 pm

ALL as in how many? That means nothing to me. Was it 100? Did you have like 2? Yelp is used by Apple for it's search services. If you think Apple would align with a huge scam company, you're nuts. For all we know, you and your family put all the positive reviews up and Yelp's filters caught you.

The very ugly truth about Yelp is that until you pay to advertise with them, all your positive reviews will be filtered. A few months ago we received a phone call from an employee at Yelp asking us to advertise with them. We declined their offer, it was going to cost us somewhere around $350 a month. The very next day ALL of out positive reviews were filtered and all of a sudden there were two one star, very negative reviews posted. Ther are scam artists and the site is completely fake, created to bully business owners into paying them for positive reviews. They did the very same thing to my friend who ownes a Pilates studio in Miami.

P
2:08 am

Yelp.com - Take action!

My story is the same as thousands of others. I intend to help get the word out to business owners and consumers on how we can take action. Visit saveusfromyelp.com to voice your complaint then visit https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ to file a complaint with the ftc. If you are wondering about laws governing consumer testimonials visit http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm

2 comments
Mar 16, 2012 1:47 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

This is true. When you search for my business a paying competitor comes up with 5 stars in bigger type than my listing. They are positioned right over my listing. I have 7 5-star reviews, every one of them filtered.

C
Oct 29, 2011 7:11 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I totally agree, since they are doing advertising you can not trust them at all... They filter the revues if your are not paying for advertising, they will only keep your bad revues in order to bring more business for those other businesses around yours that advertise with them...DO NOT TRUST Yelp reviews they are only base on money the business owners are willing to spend in advertising!

G
2:57 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Announcement:  We have recently implemented a system to outsmart yelp from hiding our filtered reviews: Step 1- first of all, if you're advertising with yelp, stop doing so and shift that money to optimize your own web site instead Step 2- have a graphic designer make a yelp badge that is placed on your web site. It should say "we have... Filtered and...

K
3:18 pm

Yelp.com - I can't believe how unethical this site is for business owners

I can't believe how unethical this site is for business owners! They use this so called filtering system for user reviews when in fact it's just a cover for extorting businesses for money. I just hope that people continue to sue them and spread the word.

8 comments
Jun 15, 2021 6:47 pm

They did it to me, I think they pick and choose who and what we are talking about, if they are connected to the business your review won’t even go through..

Dec 26, 2016 6:20 am

I like advertising with them; what I don't like is how much it costs and the fact that if you try to get out of the contract, they charge you approximately $800 if you get out of the contract before the year is up. I didn't get much business the first two months, but things to better and they did give me useful advice about beefing up my ad; however, the fee is exorbitant (about $350 a month to advertise), and then I just told you about the $800 travesty. Waiting on April to arrive.

Dec 26, 2016 6:21 am

things GOT better (I meant...)

Dec 26, 2016 6:22 am

I don't see where I can edit my post here...

C
May 20, 2016 11:30 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

They are a confused mess. No customer support contacts, inaccurate business categories, when on review added the deleted the first and there is no means by which you can complain to them about. One should be aware of companies that hide from their users like Yelp does. Not a good sign.

B
Dec 23, 2015 11:28 am

They removed a negative review for a few month only to find out that they reposted it back because I didn't go through with advertising my business through them. Why doesn't the attorney general do something about this company, this is a business that has repeatedly been linked to extortion and fraudulent activities. It's clear that people are increasing more aware of there unscrupulous practice, google Yelp going out of business by CNN.

Jun 15, 2021 6:50 pm
Replying to comment of Bethany_!

Well it’s hard to get them to do anything to them, the bbb is no better they are a joke no call backs nothing, so why are they there?

Aug 24, 2015 12:49 pm

O hear that. I have 1 bad review and 10 good I complain that the bad reviews was just an appointment I missed because going to the hospital and they removed all of my good reviews and left the bad. It's bull shi

4:02 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

To: BBB of the Golden Gate & Northern California (Oakland, CA) 1000 Broadway, Suite 625 Oakland, CA94607 August 9th, 2011 I have had a advertising page on Yelp for over a year. I had four legitimate 5 star reviews on my page that were removed by Yelp's "filtering" process. This is their right, it's their site. I wrote to them and explained why I...

Read full review of Yelp.com

Yelp.com - Yelp is a scam!!!

I own a beauty salon in Southampton, NY. I had nothing but positive reviews. As soon as one bad review came up, Yelp filtered all the others and dropped my star rating down to one star. I am a destination, resort community business. There are transient clients that look to sights like yelp for reviews. That type of negative publicity could hurt my business severely.
To make matters worst, someone countered the bad review. That never even made it passed the filter. It was filtered automatically! Also, when you try to read the filtered reviews, the verification letters that pop up are upside down and backwards, making it impossible to even read the filtered reviews. This site is a complete scam! They want your advertising money to show filtered, positive reviews! Do not advertise with them!

H
Jun 26, 2011 6:41 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

They remove complaints .Therefore they are uselees to consumers.

6:44 pm

Yelp.com - Nothing, but problems, stay away

We have a restraining order from a past employee who TOLD US he posted a completely false and slanderous review and Yelp will not consider removing it. I've sent 14 emails to [email protected] Each time, they answer me, but there's no progress. Our lawyer is building this into our case, but it might not be resolved until 2012. Does anybody have any advice as to what we can do in the meantime? I want them to look into the email address that the account is registered under and any activity on the account (i.e. changing the username) which I'm certain they can track, but they refuse. Urgent advice needed!

2 comments
B
May 26, 2011 7:31 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Hey man I suggest keep doing what your doing. Keep fighting yelp. However there are things that you can do in the mean time. Take a 3rd party approach. Get a company that helps broadcast positive reviews from your customer base. The best way to combat the negative is to empower the positive. I would love to discuss this further with you. Feel free to contact me if you get a moment.
[email protected]

S
May 19, 2011 6:55 pm

I have a psycho ex and I am always having to watch my back. Well recently on yelp I found out I have a "fan" and what they do is track your reviews. Well there is no way to find out who this fan is. I emailed "customer care" at yelp and they flat out refuse to tell me who this fan is. They are saying for the fans protection they cannot tell me who it is. I explained the situation about my ex and how I have a restraining order and they still would not help me. So more or less they refuse to protect me from some nut who follows all my reviews. I think I have the right to know if someone is tracking my reviews. For a site that gives people the opportunity to rate about customer service they should look more closely at their customer service because it sucks. For your situation have you considered talking to a lawyer about possible slander charges?

4:41 pm

Yelp.com - This site is very unfair in listing their posting

This site is very unfair in listing their postings. I have posted on several businesses and some recent postings will go to the top while others will not show up at all or be filtered. This seems very unfair to the person posting and certainly to a business when there is a positive posting.

Further, anyone associated with these sites should not be able to post to these sites.

L
Jul 05, 2012 6:15 pm

Perhaps every review should just stand so you get a bunch of fake reviews written by business owners' family members? Haven't you been hoodwinked into purchasing an awful game on Apple's Appstore because of fake reviews that were misleading and clearly written by people who made the game? Reviews need to be filtered to get the best result in the long run. Just because you don't get how the site filter works, doesn't mean it's wrong. You just don't understand it.

A
2:58 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I'm taking time out of my busy schedule to inform the public to not list their business on www.yelp.com, it is a review website for businesses. They are the modern day extortionists, scam artists. I have had numerous clients that have been in business for years.Their reputation has been ruined by www.yelp.com and fake reviews. For example one of my...

V
7:07 am

Yelp.com - Dishonest company

I have a business in Orange County, California. I have had 5 different people review my business; one of them was a terrible review, the remaining were excellent. The one bad review was given by someone who says he was a client of mine, but wasn't. Yelp keeps deleting any review which is good, while leaving the bad review posted at all times. What a disappointment Yelp is. Having seen how they skew the reviews in a very dishonest fashion, I could never believe one of their reviews, again. I'm not sure what their agenda is, but I've heard there are several class action suits against them for shaking down businesses. It couldn't happen to a more deserving site.

Sep 07, 2012 6:04 pm

Did you file to BBB or FTC or just whine about it?

D
3:30 pm

Yelp.com - Fraud

Let me start by saying that I am a business owner, whose business is obviously listed on Yelp.com. We had good & bad reviews as any other place, but more good ones, total of 47 reviews sine we've been in the business for over 6 years.
Couple of months ago I got a phone call from a Yelp.com sales representative (whose name was Mathew) offering me to advertise on Yelp.com for about $300 per week, which I of course declined. A couple of days later yelp.com removed 42 of my companies' reviews! Leaving us with only bad reviews... this type of activity is clearly fraudulent so please sway away from yelp.com!

1 comment

The very same thing happened to our business as well as a friend of mines from Miami! We had plenty of 5 star reviews, a few months ago we received a phone call from Yelp asking if we would like to advertise for somewhere around $350 monthly. We declined and the next day all of our reviews were gone and there was a 1 star horrible review left in their place. We are so upset and just have no clue how this could be legal. I know of other business owners that have had similar experiences, one damaged so badly by the bad reviews that they have jumped onto one of the many class action lawsuits.

9:53 am

Yelp.com - They delete complaints

Yelping on yelp. If you post a consumer complaint and others don't like it including other patrons Yelp will take it down. However, they will let the patrons personally and publicly attack you for voicng an opinion.

5 comments
Aug 11, 2012 6:08 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Any even semi decent and honest company would as is the case with say Kayak refuse to delete both good and bad reviews for payment. Yelp are in a way totally honest in that they tell you if you pay they will fall over backwards to help you, but if you refuse prepare to have your reputation destroyed!

I have reported them to the BBB and my local AG but it seems "money still talks" as nothing is going to be done about their tactics, even though the BBB has admitted that they have told them exactly what I just reported!

Aug 11, 2012 6:03 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Perhaps they are Romney supporters too as in we need the money in order to benefit our rich corporation but the middle class just needs to pay more so we can show them who's the real boss lol.

Aug 11, 2012 5:09 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Phony site. I wondered why all of a sudden they took down bad reviews (including mine). Oh well. Eff 'em.

Oct 02, 2011 1:17 am

DynamicDeebythesea

You are both right and wrong about this scam artist company. If a business pays them they fall over backwards to help them as you have seen. But if you refuse they remove all good reviews and only leave the bad ones. So it would seem that the company you posted about was a paying member (around $200/week) and as such is entitled to have anything they disagree with deleted!

D
Apr 13, 2011 1:16 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Yes. Same experience. I wrote a bad review which was removed. Prior to posting on Yelp, out of concern, I contacted 24 Hour Fitness in San Diego because their head trainer had an assault and battery charge, a restraining order and 3 road rage violations. This is a man who is in charge of young men and women and who works closely with clients. I sent all the documentation, police report, court records, sworn statements. They did nothing. I posted about this company and this situation and Yelp removed it. 24 Hour Fitness spends a lot of money on advertising. I suspect that they "paid for advertising" which it seems is double talk for paying to remove bad reviews.

S
6:02 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am so tired of these review sites that do not allow the company that is being beat down the opportunity to explain why this customer is unhappy with services rendered. In my opinion, they are there for those individuals that are not happy unless there complaining and their family and friends are tired of hearing how they are always the VICTIM. I work for...

Yelp.com contacts