Yankee Candlegel air freshener can melt plastic

I purchased a vanilla scented yankee candle gel air freshener for my 2007 toyota tundra. I hung it on one of the knobs on my dash and when I went out to my truck after it had been there several days, I noticed a messy substance on my dash behind the freshener. I got a rag with warm water to wash it off and the plastic finish came right off and the plastic dash is actually pitted from the gel, like it had melted a little bit. I looked for a warning on the product and there was nothing that said not to let it come in contact with your cars interior. I have contacted yankee candle company but have yet to hear from them. At this point, i'm just posting this as a warning. Hopefully the company will own up to it. If not, i'll be back...

• Pe
    Peggy K. Apr 30, 2017

Had friend give me one for gift, was on my dresser. Wentcin today and big circle into dresser. Picked it up and sat it right down
    Made another circle in about 30 seconds
    Will have to be refinished

• St
    StickyNM Apr 09, 2013

Sticky car dashboard? Sticky upholstery? Sticky yacht interior?
    Though irritating, it does not mean you need to throw away your sticky stuff Or replace it totally with new one.
    Sticky and melted vinyl surfaces have been around for many years. So far, no one has ever come out with a solution for it.
    Saving the environment that encourage using less plastic and promote cost saving. This formulation is a non corrosives treatment that can restore melting vinyl surfaces back to good condition. The treatment will clean the dirty plastic surfaces, remove melted surfaces and protect vinyl surfaces from becoming sticky.
    This treatment process not only can be used for Automobiles interior & exterior, it can also be used on leather or vinyl surfaces that were damaged due high heat, dirt and wrong protectant used.

• Gh
    G. Hollis Dec 06, 2011

£2133 damage to my Merc CD player and fascia. Insurance co has settled so am asking YK to pay the £250 excess or will send off N1 form to the UK small claims court for £ 35 as the evidence is pretty damning. They have 14 days to agree before I send the claim and documentation/pictures to the court. Wil probably use my solicitors to rep. me so thieir costs will escalate and if I wee in their shoes I would pay up and avoid the bad publicity and WITHDRAW THE PRODUCTS that cause these ( DOH!)

• Af
    afhsheldon Nov 24, 2011

I wish I would of knew this sooner :-( My center console of my car has drop indents in the plastic and i also all the plastic is bubbling up and coming off...is anyone starting a class action law suit? for the damages?

• Ta
    TAMMY14048 Sep 19, 2011

this happened to me in my toyota highlander. I have damage done to the middle console as it took the paint right off! Please tell me who to complain to or any other advise. I would appreciate it!

• Ru
    Russo33 Aug 07, 2011

Just happened to my new Denali, please let me know if any of you receive feedback or resolution as I will do the same.

• So
    Soaplady Aug 02, 2011

Yankee knows about this problem...they have now discontinued this product because of this. They have been clearing out the overstock for 5/$10. I was an employee there and we were pushed to sell these things.

• Dc
    dcordash Jul 29, 2011

I would seriously take part in a class action suit. I've been researching this and I've found complaints as far back as 2003. The company had to know about this but doesn't seem to take responsibility. There is nothing on the packaging that notes the product could leak and damage a car.

Comments

• Dc
    dcordash Jul 29, 2011

Just happened to my 2010 Prius. Toyota quoted $700 to replace my console.

• Hy
    hypnoj Jul 24, 2011

2009 G37 infinity: ruined dashboard, shifter, and leather seats because of this product. I will be contacting the company to complain and if they don't pay for it I think we should ban together and start a class action lawsuit against yankee candle company

• Hy
    hypnoj Jul 24, 2011

2009 infinity G37 with ruined dashboard and leather seats because of this stuff. I am going to be contacting the company. If they don't pay for it, I suggest we start a class action lawsuit.

• Js
    j stuart Jul 14, 2011

My daughter just experienced the same thing on a NEW (2011) car. Anyone take action on this with attorney general of their state or with Yankee? It seems to me all need to make this loud and clear. Maybe all complain to Consumers Union www.consumerreports.org?

• Al
    allycat854 Jul 13, 2011

I have a beautiful '91 Ford Thunderbird SC that I take pride in (especially with its classy tweed and leather material). Went through 2 of these gel fresheners and the second one melted and dripped onto my center console. I wiped up while I could (because it dripped while I was driving) and now I am working on detailing the inside of my car, thinking I could scrub the mess up. Well, of course it's stuck on there forever (and might have even melted the plastic all together). Has anyone found a solution to clean this up?

Jenny8675309 Jun 25, 2011

I have an 05 jeep. I had one of the air freshner cardboard style ones. It fell off the mirror and landed on the console between the front two seats. It -was-a beautiful metallic silver. Now it's stuck ON the freshner and I have a huge melted mess with a nasty hole in it for a console. I just bought the car 3 weeks ago. I was so proud to put my beloved Yankee candle scent in it. I could cry.

• Jj
    jjseabrook May 26, 2011

Stealth Pilot, if you go to the Yankee Candle site, and on the package itself, it is called "Gel CAR Refresher." Yah, it is made for use in the car, and it's defective. Ruined my dash in my Expedition also. It also had very little smell to it, unlike Yankee Candles. Can't believe they're still selling the Gel Car Refresher. I bought mine April 8, 2011 and it ruined my dash on May 23, 2011. They advertise it for use in cars, but it is in no way made for use in a motor vehicle. It can't take the heat. Buyer Beware!

jesuseeker123 May 14, 2011

I am going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs. Anyone else have any other ideas? If we get together on the matter maybe we will get somewhere with this company.

• Jr
    Jr. G May 14, 2011

I had a Yankee gel air freshener hanging from my rearview mirror in my Sierra truck. Just yesterday, when I got in my truck I noticed something on my dash and the face of my radio. It was the gel from the Yankee gel air freshener. It had dripped down on my dash and radio. I wiped the gel off only to see that it took the finish off of the face of my radio!!! I am not pleased with this product and it irritates me now to have damage on the face of my radio when I keep my newly purchased truck in such a great condition. I need to know who I have to contact to get this resolved!!!

jesuseeker123 Mar 30, 2011

Has anyone pursued anything other than casually contacting this company?!! My dash is also ruined! I mean this is the value of my Tahoe were talking about and they are still selling these things all over the place!

• Ni
    Nicole mayers Jan 15, 2011

I own a 2011 ford mustang I had a gel yankee air freshener hanging it melted all over the center of my car and it ate the paint down to the plastic I haven't heard from Yankee yet about this matter but i will not let it go I take care of my car and am so sicken by this please don't use these products in your car

• Pa
    patroll Aug 07, 2010

Had a gel air freshener, melt onto the plastic and wouldn't come off.

Ang613 Aug 04, 2010

I also had purchased the Yankee gel air freshener for my truck. I got into my truck the other day and seen something on the dash and noticed that the gel from my air freshener has dripped down onto it. I wiped the gel off only to find that it took the finish off my dashboard. This made me so upset and even more upset to know that this seems to happen alot with this product. People please don't use the Yankee Gel Air Freshener, for this $5 product has now costed me over $500.

• Lj
    ljhansen Jul 31, 2010

I have used the car air fresheners for over 3 years. This time the Clean Linen GEL air freshener melted all over the console of our 2009 Chevrolet Malibu removing the finish on several of the center console componets.

DO NOT USE!

• Bu
    buddydrool Jul 10, 2010

My dashboard was ruined as well. Warning - do NOT use the Yankee Candle gel air fresheners!

• Di
    DIW Jul 01, 2010

mine got ruined too. hopefully it is not that expensive and yankee will pick up the bill.

ann mcnamara Apr 29, 2010

I bought a yankee liquid freshener which spilled and lifted the varnish off my dining table worth 800 pounds does anyone know who you complain too as it would be much appreciated.

• Do
    D OConnor, Londonderry, NH May 21, 2009

I also purchased a gel car freshener had it hanging off the rearview mirror. I came out to my car and the car gel had melted on my dash. I barely touched it and the finish on my dash board melted right on my finger. I will also be sending pictures and information to yankee candle. Fortunately, I purchased a double pack and still have the original package. My dashboard is now ruined to the tune of at least $1, 500.