[Resolved] Whirlpool Hot Water Heatersproduct is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks!

I have been living at my current residence for 2 yrs. In that time I have had trouble with my whirlpool hot water heater, which is still under warranty, three times. The first time we paid out of pocket for parts and labor to fix it. The second time it quit working the repair man noticed it was still under warranty. I called Whirlpool and they sent parts and we paid shipping and labor to have it fixed. Now the water heater is leaking all over my bedroom carpet and whirlpool refuses to honor the warranty. so now I have no hot water except on my bedroom carpet. What good is that? This product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks.

• Whirlpool's response · Mar 19, 2012

Hi Tigolde. We are sorry to learn about the concerns you have experienced with your washer. If you would like us to look into this issue further, please contact us at [email protected] Please provide your name, phone number, address, model and serial number, as well as the website we contacted you at. We will look into this matter further. Thank you, Melanie.

• Whirlpool's response · Jan 16, 2013

Whirlpool water heaters are manufactured through a licensing agreement with American Water Heater Corporation. Per their legally binding agreement, they have requested that all customer concerns be directed to them. You can use this link, http://www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com, or you can call (877) 817-6750 for further assistance.

• Whirlpool's response · Jan 16, 2013

Hello Ernest Hackler. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Whirlpool. We apologize about the concern you have experienced with your ice maker. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard), your user ID name (Ernest Hackler), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number of the unit, your ticket number (29630 ), and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Melanie.

• Ra
    Rajkumar.K Feb 14, 2007

Dear All Indian and International consumers Pls don’t buy never ever Whirlpool products because of their poor quality product, inefficient service and very poor response to the customers. I had a very bitter experience with my europa classic washing m/c. Which was bought 3yrs back and we had not even used once in a month? But the total m/c was getting iron rest formation and the model also been withdrawn by the company. So, we are unable to service and change the spares now. After registering so many request for exchange against new m/c they are unable to attend our calls and finally they said that they don’t have any option to exchange for a new machine with some values neither fm whirlpool nor fm their dealers. One of their sr. marketing executive Mr.Muthukumar and his assistant Mr.Dinu was responded and behave very harshly and they are not even bothering about the existing customers. So, I here by requesting all you peoples not to buy the whirlpool products. If you need any clarifications pls feel free to contact me thru my mail or hand phone.

sabra litherland May 16, 2007

In a little over one year's time, we have had two Whirlpool sport duet front loaders, model wfw 8300S. The first was replaced by Lowe's in the first week. The second has had: 1) broken knobs 2) ball bearing replaced 3) two control panels replaced, 4) and now a pressure switch. We have been without a machine for over 13 days. Based on the other complaints I have read, this is nothing. This will be the 5th repair for this machine. I have no expectation that the machine will not break down beyond the warranty period. This concern is supported by many of the other complaints I have read concerning recently produced appliances. The American public is being hyped by the 'blue star' energy efficiency stuff. Yes, front loaders save on water, but a normal wash cycle is 54 minutes. Most top loaders did the job in 25 minutes or less. These machines are quite susceptible to break down issues ranging from broken door latches to mold beneath the rubber lips. The list is endless. I have been told the Whirlpool is the best of this batch called 'front loaders'. If that is the case, I'm going into the used top loader business - the ones that don't use computer boards and chips to get the job done.

Robert E Newman Jun 02, 2007

I too bought a Whirlpool Hot water heater. It quit working two weeks after it was install by the plumber. I called for service and was told that the thermal coupler was bad. I had a new one put in. It last about a month. I called on the warranty. A service rep at Whirlpool took my info and said that a new part would be shipped the next day which I paid for the shipping. I waited almost two weeks and called back. Another rep said that the first rep never completed the order. He then shipped it over night and I received it the next day. However, it was for a different model meaning it didn't fit mine. I went to Lowes where I bought the water heater and purchased the correct part. They burn out quickly. I have since replaced the thermal coupler about eight times. I replaced it tonight and an hour later it was bad. Sure it is energy saving because it doesn't work. Whirpool needs to make good on this JUNK.

charan vir singh sehgal Jun 16, 2007

I bought a whirlpool refrigerator 450 ltrs and is having a valid 5 years AMC contract. I lodged a complaint regarding insufficient cooling on 11 june 07. The complaint no. 4843. Till today no service personnel has visited. The after sales service of whirlpool is atrocious. I have a whirlpool w/machine also for which i faced` similar situation.

• La
    Larry D. Jones Jun 21, 2007

I purchased my 50 gallon Whirlpool hot water heater at Lowe's on 6/20/2007 and I am returning it today; 6/212007. When leaving the store, a gentleman approached me with his horror story about his Whirlpool hot water heater and his support nightmare.

After checking on the internet and reading additional blogs and then finding out that Sears is responsible for Whirlpool repairs, I definitely will NOT keep this heater. I will never knowingly purchase any product that is supported by Sears because of my prior nightmare experiences.

It appears there is a problem with the Whirlpool heater and there is definitely a problem with the firm providing the support.

I am purchasing a GE water heater.

• Pa
    PAULA BEACH Jun 26, 2007

Turned microwave on one time without putting something in it. Ran for 30 seconds -everything fine, used it four mores times, fifth time smelled burning and opened it up and there was a quarter sized whole in the back of the microwave. Could have caught fire had i not stopped the microwave-whirlpool did nothing. Not under warranty-bought in 2005 - i feel the public needs to know this is a potential fire hazard and i should have been compensated for it. Nothing from the sears store or whirlpool.

Roberto Perezdiaz Jul 05, 2007

BUYER BEWARE!

On 9/2003 I replaced my original waterheater still working after 20 trouble free years a generic brand, with a Whirlpool one with a 12 year warranty. It stopped working early June 2007. I called the warranty number after a plumber said it was the thermocoupler. Whirlpool sent a whole replacement unit for which I had to pay for shipping. The part was useless because it lacked the orifice. I watched the plumber try and remove the "old" orifice it would not come off. Therefore, the entire part was useless. I authorized the plumber to just replace the thermocoupler with one from his company's supply. I had already been without hot water for a week. It has now been working properly. Today I called back to talk with a "Steve" at the same warranty number. He refused to authorize a return of the useless product; refused to reimburse my cost to repair the waterheater; refused to transfer me to someone with the authority to grant my requests. Buyer beware. I'm filing complaints with all the Consumer Protection agencies state and federal and the BBB.

• As
    asha jain Jul 10, 2007

My machine is about 10 years old. I've taken AMC. I got it repaired in April 07, that time it took almost a month and so many parts were changed, now again few things r going wrong and again it's going to the service center.

The thing is that i'm really fed up with all this. I want to EXCHANGE my machine with a new one?

• Bi
    Bill Dobra Jul 29, 2007

I am nervous now - my plumber installed a 50 gal electric whirpool hot water heater with life time warranty in June 2006. Big Lowes advertised Lifetime warranty on tank and parts; NO disclaimer about labor extra or at you expense. After 8 months of minimal the control module fails, Whirpool says unit must be replaced; part being sent free but I need to get install.

I saw no advertisement of labor extra - lifetime warranty obviously has many meanings. If I bought a whirpool electric range and there was an electric problem with one of the burner, whirpool comes to the house and fixes the problem. Apparently not with hot water heater that I paid a premium for in order not to have problems.

NOT GOOD BY LOWES or WHIRPOOL!!!

Jason Day Aug 06, 2007

I have a 9yr warranty hot water heat that I purchased at Lowes in Feb 06. The control board green light when out on Saturday night an now we are without Hot H2O. Call Monday 8 am because they don't have 24/7 support just to get a person that may knew 3 words in English and had to have every work spelled 3 times to him. He did say that he would be sending me a new board and that it would be here tomorrow, I guess I will see how true the statement is. He never offered to have some one come out and fix the product , they must stick the parts and replacement only warranty "no labor included".

Maria Muntean Aug 07, 2007

I ordered service just after beginning of June 2007 .45 days and 9 appointments latter my microwave oven is still not working Technicians are very poor informed about this appliances. I one occasion I was told me as a owner "If you don't know to remove the microwave then I will live because I never serviced this kind of appliance". Another occasion I was told to hire professional electrician because is some problem with my power supply. I am in process with store where i bought the appliance to get help because at this point i have no idea where to get some help. I called to the factory and they told me they need from service technician to tel them the microwave is not reparable and than I will be qualified for replacement. Will never happened because the technicians they are not ready to give up they want to give them more chances. So far they been for the same problem 9 times. By the warranty agreement after 3 repairs for the same problem I am in title for replacement. The argument also from the factory is also the microwave was never repaired so they have to fix it first second and third time to be in title for replacement. 9 times for the same problem to them is counted as only one because repair was not done yet. I am wandering if they will never figure out the problem I will ever be in title for replacement?

People beware!

• Ji
    Jinny Sep 06, 2007

I had purchased a very expensive Whirlpool Europe deluxe Sl. No. 0000790 front loading washing machine in 2001 and I'm pretty disappointed with it. Since 2001, I have had regular visits from Whirlpool authorized technicians to fix lot of its mechanical and electrical issues, which in turn incurred me more than Rs.5,000 and even some of the expenditures are not covered under warranty period (You may check your records).

Now this machine has become a burden for me as we are facing a problem in the electrical control board and presume that shortly the machine will no longer usable. I was told by the service personnel that Whirlpool has stopped this model and need to write to overseas office for its part which will cost around Rs.6,000. We do not have any hesitation in spending the said amount for the smooth functioning of the machine subject to providing a guarantee by Whirlpool on the same.

Since it is a discontinued model and the parts are no longer available in the market, will it be possible Whirlpool y to take this machine back and provide a brand new in lieu. We are ready to pay a reasonable difference if Whirlpool does so.

Jinny.

• Ni
    NIRANJAN SINGH Sep 13, 2007

I am an disgusted customer of Whirlpool India. I never expected the kind of problems i will have to face after buying the whirlpool refrigerator. I purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator in the 2002. From 2002-2007 the refrigerator has been under outages four years in last four years since purchase. All the times i have lodged the service engineer used to visit my house and straight away replaces the compressor. Since purchase the compressor of refrigerator have been changed 3-4 times. all the times when the compressor has been changed i had to pay a good price as visit charges, relay charges, transport charges. Till now i have paid 1/4 -1/2 of charges of the fridge and still again the fridge is under outage this year. i am very unsatisfied with service engineers at faridabad. What should i do now.

Advise smb!

A disgusted customer.

Charles Haynes Sep 16, 2007

I have a side by side ref about 2 yrs. old. icemaker stopped working. Repairman told me to take it out and bring it to him and he would repair it. After I removed it I discovered the ice tray had a coating on it that was chipping or falling off, and I thought that was in my ice that I have been using. My ice has been contaminated for who knows how long. There should be a recall on this product Whirlpool must not care about what they do to anyones health.

• Um
    umesh chander Oct 30, 2007

Subject:- Deficient service after sale of product & consumer harassment

I purchased the “Fusion Maxigerator 6 sence” of your company from “Next “ retail shop ludhiana on 9th April,07 vide bill no BTC/07-08/74.
    But the company did not bother to depute any person to my residence for installation and demonstration of the refrigerator.
    On 21st September.07, the cooling in the refrigerator stopped all of a sudden & I lodged a complaint with Next retail shop which, in turn, forwarded the complaint to Whirlpool service center who charged Rs.2000 for replacing the freezer despite covered under warranty period & fridge was delivered to me on 30th September,07 i.e. after 9 days. The detail is as under-
    • The representative of the service centre visited my residence on 24th September,07 & after inspection could not locate the fault & informed that the instrument has to be shifted to workshop for locating the fault.
    • On 25th September,07 , he informed on phone that there is a cut mark by knife in the rear portion of the base of the freezer & the freezer has to be replaced. The service centre refused to replace the freezer & insisted me to pay Rs.2000 . As the refrigerator was in their possession. I had no other alternative but to pay the money.
    • On 28th September,07, the service station owner informed me on phone that the refrigerator has been repaired.
    • I went to service station at 7:00p.m. & requested the owner to send the refrigerator to my residence. The owner asked me to pay Rs.2000 to which I agreed with the request that the fridge should be sent immediately. But he informed me that it will be sent next day.
    • I paid him Rs.1000 with the promise that the balance of Rs.1000 will be paid as soon as the refrigerator reaches my residence to which he agreed.
    • But on 29th September,07 , he didn’t send it & when I phoned him in the evening, he insisted that the refrigerator will only be sent after I pay him the balance amount at his office. As I have no other alternative , I went to his office on 30th September,07 paid him the balance amount & then he sent the fridge to my residence.
    In the above context, I may bring into notice the following points-
    1. It was the duty of your company to depute some qualified person for installation of refrigerator at my residence.
    2. We are 3 members in my house & all are literate & know how to use the electronic goods.
    3. Further we don’t require any ice in the month of September when there is no much heat.
    4. If, for a moment, it is supposed that it was a cut made by knife, how it can be made at the rear end of the base of freezer especially when it is covered with a utensil containing ice. As such the plea of service station that the cut been made by knife in freezer is not maintainable.
    5. Moreover, the representative did not locate the fault at my residence & informed me about it only when the refrigerator reached their workshop.

As such, I had to pay Rs.2000 for no fault of mine though refrigerator was in warranty period & it was duty of service station to replace the defected part but he rather made me responsible for it. Further the service station didn’t send refrigerator to my place even after payment of Rs.1000 with the promise that the balance will be paid after refrigerator reaches my house.
    In the light of above, the company has failed to meet its obligation towards consumers during warranty period & providing after sale services. As such I lodge my claim for refund of Rs.2000 , within one month after which I will be free to knock at the door of consumer forum & claim my refund with the claim of mentally harassing the customer.

• Bi
    Binay Kr. Sharma Nov 13, 2007

We had purchased Sensation Ex 6.5 Kg. FAFL Washing Machine on 23rd Feb 2006. This machine has been giving problem to us from the very begining. Last time when the machine was out of order, the Company took around 2 months time to repair it (despite of our request to change the faulty machine).

Now this machine is again out of order. We had lodged complain regarding this on 02-11-2007 (complain id : KL1107000350). It is already over 14 days and as per your call centre the faulty part is still awaited to be procured.

I fail to understand, How can a company like Whirlpool take months to repair the washing machine ?

I am afraid as to what will happen after the expiry of the warranty period.

• Pr
    PRADIP KUMAR DAS Nov 13, 2007

I lodged a formal complaint HD1107005151 on 13/11/07 as my washing machine is not functioning .
    The washing machine is loaded with water and cloth.
    The service centre assured me that a help will definitely reach by evening.
    On inquiry in the evening it was informed that by next day (i.e on 14/11/07) the machine will be up.

I regret to convey that till the generation of this post on 14/11/07 at about 23.00 hrs nobody has knocked our door to attend the machine.

Chris Zastrow Dec 10, 2007

In October 04 I had buy new water hearter after 3 years of good service now the pilot light keeps popping out, and no body cares about the warranty! I'll be getting a free thermocouple plus I get pay to have it shipped! Thanks Lowes and Whirlpool for selling and making this pile of junk. I'll rember that with my next cold shower I'll but GE next time.

• Ke
    Kevin Garofalo Jan 08, 2008

Well, I just had the worst 2 days of "trying" to install this junk WHIRLPOOL 40 gal. gas water heater. My dad and I did it ourselves, as we have done them before. A day after we got it in, we start smelling gas in our basement!!! Obviously, after we hooked up the gas lines we checked for leaks with soap and water, and no leaks on the lines. Today I pinpointed the area of the leak and it was coming from the damn regulator!!!!!!!! I called Whirlpool up and they could have given a rats ###, so I called Lowes back and they were most helpful, they gave me a replacement regulator, but it was the wrong type. Now I am without hot water...!!! And to boot the guys at lowes want me to bring back the whole tank now, for replacement,!!!! That's great, after a whole day of putting this piece-o-### in, now I gotta tear it all back out and waste more gas driving back and forth to Lowes for another piece-o-### WHIRLPOOL, gonna see if I can just get a refund and spend my money elsewhere.

BUYER BEWARE

• Yo
    Yolanda Moreno Jan 09, 2008

The technician was very rude. We asked what happened? Because it did the same thing before. He said I don't know what the tech did before. I tried to ask another question and he snapped and said it's done I put a heater in. He packed and walked out as we were trying to ask another question. Very POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

• Ke
    Kevin Garofalo Jan 10, 2008

O.K., so now I went back to lowes, exchanged the tank for another one, and guess what, now more gas leak!!!!!! Can you say defective regulator.... Seems to me that the customer rep. from Whirlpool said this was not possible, well it was.

But now like after like 10 minutes in the shower, the hot water is completely gone. I'm sick of this junk product and I am going to try an see if I can make lowes complain enough to whirlpool to do something about this product.

As far as I'm concerned, Lowes has bent over backwards to help me and whirlpool is doing nothing.

John Conner Jan 17, 2008

Agree one-thousand percent!!
    There is a class action lawsuit against Whirlpool - defective Hot Water Heaters.

The thermocouple seems to be the major problem - but it has a left-hand thread,
    can't be found anywhere.

As above their customer service just doesn't "suck" - it's non existent!

Even their "supposed" support e-mail address is no good.

Could care less about the class action lawsuit - would just like to be able to get
    part/s for the water heater (it's under warranty).

Much longer story than the above . . . . but bottom line is - NO hot water.

NEVER will purchase a Whirlpool product of any kind again.
    JC

• Ka
    Kathy Rodriguez Jan 18, 2008

My Whirlpool refrigerator froze up so I have a service contract with GE and they referred me to A&E because my refrigerator is a Whirlpool and not a GE appliance. We waited all day for them to come and finally he shows up towards the end of the day. The tech was not pleasant at all and acted like he didn't want to be there. Well I brushed it off thinking he is just tired and it has been a long day for him. He took everything out of my freezer, unscrewed the back panel and took that off, and then took a hair blow dryer and blowed on the coils and then put the panel back on and left. Well I thought that was it okay I guess he knows what he is doing. Two weeks goes by and my refrigerator starts doing the same thing again. I called them and they said they can come out but only between 8 and 5 and then they narrowed it down for me to between 1 and 3. So I called customer service to have them tell the tech to call me 30 to 45 min before he comes out so I can leave work and she said she could not guarantee that and I said he would have to wait till I get there because I have to work and don't get paid when I take off and she said he will not wait. I said What! They didn't fix if before and now I have to wait again! So they called me and I was on the phone with my hub for a brief moment because he is ill and I have to check on him from work so I saw they were calling and I hangup and called right back and they said sorry you didn't answer so we canceled your service call and you will have to reschedule. I was raving mad by then! This so called company needs to be put out of business!

• Da
    Darin P. HInkle Jan 27, 2008

Agree there junk not had problem with the termo coupling but the hot and cold water lines are ### to seal. Installed one less than a year ago had to install another because the liner cracked and was leaking water putting the pilot out. The new one from lowes was the same way asa the old on cant get it to seal. Called Whirpool on the first one they did give return code to take the old one back. The inlet and outlet are down below the top of the tank witch makes it impossible to tighten. Tryed every thing nothing works but over 100 pounds of torque on them still wont seal. The last one leak until it sealed itself! Will not buy anything else from Whirlpool. Darin P.Hinkle.

• Kb
    K Bern Feb 02, 2008

I had the same problem as Mr Hinkle. The Hot and Cold inlets would not seal. Even with thread tape and a pipe wrench it still leaks. And customer servise was a joke. I described the problem in detail and the woman asked if i had hot water....I laughed yea but it leaks. She then asked if it was on fire. I guess I should have requested a rep with english as a primary language. I requested a superviser and never got one. I called back later and a second rep was better. They said I could return the 50 gal heater to Lowes for a replacement. I cant believe that Im going to take their advise. This will be a disaster. If you like dancing with water heaters on stairs........BUY WHIRLPOOL!!!!

• Ga
    Gary Babcock Feb 02, 2008

Whilpool products across the board suck. Hot water heaters, Dish washers, Refridge, Washing machines. What has happened to once a good product? I now have two hot water heaters and the last one is four months old and no hot water. Another thermocouple and is isn,t the piece of junk with left hand threads. I will never ever by a product with whirlpool on it or setting on the same shelf. Lowes better drop them fast.

Ron Evans Feb 10, 2008

I bought a water heater in Aug of 2004 I have had to replace the thermo cupler this will be the 3rd time. I went back to Lowes where I bought the water heater from and they do not have the right part for it. Here it is Sunday in a small town and I can't find a part for my water heater. I'm not even sure that I can find one on Monday. I can not even get anyone on the 800 number on Sunday to tell me where I can find a part.

• Wi
    William K Cross Feb 11, 2008

There was a judgement rendered against Whirlpool, Lowes, and 2 other companies on October 11, 2007. They will furnish customers with a new and different thermostat assembly (with a reset button instead of the single failure which has occurred over and over again with so many users). This is for water heaters purchased during 2000 through 2006. Claim forms are downloadable from www.waterheatersettlement.com
    They must be mailed before June 28, 2008. I am fortunate in that I have been able to personally install replacement thermocouples. (I have been having to purchase new ones every few months.) Lowes apparently does not have replacements anymore. I am supposed to be able to get reimbursements for 2 of the replacements which I purchased.

• Mw
    mw Feb 20, 2008

Whirlpool sucks! Warn all your friends and family to NEVER buy WP. The warranty is ###. They charge you shipping , THEIR TROUBLESHOOTING IS OFF TARGET AND THEY LIE!

It is a matter of time before a class action lawsuit is filled against them.

• St
    Steven Napoletan Feb 27, 2008

Bought a Whirlpool microwave for over $500, with a three year warranty. No kidding, the thing lasted three years and three weeks then died. Whirlpool would not support their product. I bought a Sharp Mic, and it has lasted the past six years plus, and it only cost $250. Bought a Whirlpool hot water heater, and the pilot keeps going out. The heater has lasted a total of 3.5 years. After reading these stories... No more Whirlpool junk.

• Wi
    Wilbert Whitson SR. Feb 27, 2008

I purchased a Whirlpool Gas Hot Water Heater, back in March 2006. It has gone out 3 times. It was the same thing, the themocuplon. When I called this last time, to get a new part, they sent to me the wrong thing. I have been without hot water for 4 days. I will NEVER buy anything else that has Whirlpool's name attached, never again.

• Ad
    Adrianne Donald Mar 05, 2008

Whirlpool is junk!!! Their marketing is a complete lie!!! I purchased a $1200.00 front load washer in spring 2005. Spending that much money, I thought would last for years. I have had it repaired four times for things from locking mechanism to fuses. Now I am out $500 to replace the motherboard. Whirlpool customer service was unreponsive and not willing to stand behind their product. I was told "oh well, it doesn't matter how much you spent on the washer. " DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL PRODUCTS!!!

• Sh
    shawn Mar 08, 2008

Hi, I am shawn a service rep of whirlpool water heaters, i know that there have been many customers who had a problem with the pilot light not staying lit on their Flame Lock water heater's which have been manufactured in between 2000 and 2006 ,i am just posting my comment in here so that any customer will not have to go through this again and trying to help our customers through getting the right parts at the right place at the right time.Now we have a new manifold assembly with a Thermal reset and we are sending this part which also has an adapter which can turn a right hand thread thermocouple to left hand thread and vice versa and package does not include the burner and the orifice ( which have to be removed from the old one on to the new manifold which we send) .This part will be no chg but the h/o would have to pay a shipping chg ( which is being charged under the settlement) .This is just a trial from my side so that the h/o can be aware of what is happening and how can they get the correct parts at the right time.Any customer facing a prb with the pilot not staying lit for the FG water heater's do call our support num 1-877-817-6750 and the timing's are Monday 8.00 EST to 7.00 EST and from tuesday to friday 8.00 EST to 8.00 EST and on sat 9.00 to 6.00 EST .
    Thank you.

• Vi
    Vince Mar 18, 2008

I got my new manifold unit from the manufacture the other day, and I installed it and guess what the thermocouple was bad out of the box. Also the adapter that comes with the unit to change the left had threads to right hand thread is made of aluminum and if you over tighten it alittle (as I did) the threads are stripped and it won't hold tight. So I ended up using copper wire wrapped around the control valve to keep it in. I can't believe this company can't make a water heater that works, this is not rocket science and it certainly is not new technology. I wish I had done research on this brand, or I never would have bought it. Now I'm out $400 with no hope for a permanent fix. Sure it has a 9 year warranty but I don't think you should have to keep working on it to keep it functioning. If I knew where this unit was built I would take it and dump it in their lobby! I also can't believe Whirlpool would want there name on a product that has been problemmatic and involved in a lawsuit.

• Dv
    DVolpe Mar 20, 2008

3 years into my 6 year warranty my 50 gal FG unit is cold...Don't be fooled by service rep above, "the new manifold assembly with a Thermal reset"...The ball was dropped again!
    I spent $18 to have the "NEW" unit shipped overnight for quicker hot water. The install went smooth, however, the pilot light still will not stay lit? I've got another call into the service dept. Any Whirlpool product will never be an appliance consideration for my family!

• Br
    Bruce Cohn Mar 22, 2008

I am in the home rehab business. We made the mistake of buying Whirlpool hotwater tanks for our homes from Lowes. Inevitably they all go bad after a year or two. The plumbing company I use said they have PROBLEMS ALL THE TIME WITH WHIRLPOOL. AVOID Whirlpool like the plague. They could quite possible be the worst most incomptent corporation going.

• Sr
    srbgr Mar 26, 2008

I just got off the phone with American Water Heater (when you dial the Whirlpool #, they now give you this number - 1800-999-9515), while speaking to "Paul", who was obviously in India, but at least spoke passable English). Whirlpool is now shipping an entire replacement assembly that includes thermocouple, burner, and wiring. I paid $18 for next day delivery. Got the confirmation # (since I have read that there is an issue with orders actually being completed). I have an extremely nice retired plumber who is my Dad's neighbor who only charged me $30 after running around trying to find the replacement part locally. He cleaned the unit (lots of rust) and will come back when I receive the assembly.

Interestingly, we were talking about the Whirlpoo Water Heaters, and he said he installed 2 after Christmas when his old hot water heater failed. He said that the first one he installed didn't work, so he tore it out, took it back to Lowes and got a replacement. He installed the 2nd one and after 2 days, it failed. He tore it out and took it back again, and Lowe's refused to give him a refund, but gave him a store credit card. He left Lowes and went to Home Depot to buy a GE Hot water heater and hasn't had a problem since.

This just hardens my resolve to not buy Whirlpoo's products ever again. I have their piece-of-crap Duet front loading washer and dryer that is only a year old, but I've had 4 service calls each on both -- and not at the same time!

• Ec
    E.C. Apr 07, 2008

I am a service technician for a large natural gas utility. I totally agree with all these poor people who have bought a new gas water heater then the thermocouple goes out prematurerly. And theres nothing we can do for the customer because the part has a left hand thread and requires major disassemble & reassmebly. The problem is not just with whirpool. I see it with other brands. Theres probably just more Whirlpools being installed than other brands. The problem is the new sealed compartment feature to prevent vapors from accidently spilled flammables from igniting. If the burner and pilot is elevated 18" above ground, this almost eliminates that danger. Bring back the old style tried and true water heaters. The thermouples last almost forever, and when they do burn out, we install a generic RIGHT hand thread thermouple in 5 minutes and the customer is back up. Unforntunately this new useless system seems to be standard in all new water heaters sold. At least in my state. contact your lawmakers and complain.

• Ti
    tim Apr 11, 2008

Lowes will now give you a replcement parts for free, just take in modle & serial #, I installed it in about 15 min

sachin kumar Apr 17, 2008

Getting the whirlpool service in place near by gulbarga is like gods grace or god himself coming to our door steps solving the same.. A panel board for a washing machine of common model is like finding a gem overhere i am trying to find the same for more than 6-7 months any one i call(sevice centre) takes the information of problem and satisfy us they wil let know the same in so or so period and get escaped not 1 or 2 its the case with each and every service centre..!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices