[Resolved] Whirlpoolbeware of best buy during the christmas holiday!

I purchased a Gateway Notebook for my husband on Dec 9, 2006 as a Christmas Gift. When I purchased it I asked the young man if I could return it.

He said, "yes". I asked if there was a restocking fee. He said, "only if the item had the seal broken." On Christmas day my husband graciously declined my gift, so we decided to return it.

On Dec 29th, I tried to return the notebook and was told it was over the 14 day return policy and I could get store credit. I paid by check and their company cashed my check. I wanted my money back. I was furious to say the least. I, also, called the Customer Service number and was told the same thing. I know they say they have it posted in their stores and it's on the receipt, BUT do you honestly think that at the Christmas holiday customers are reading YOUR store signs or looking at the small print on receipts. The standard customer thinks that you can return just about everything within a 7 day time frame, especially at Christmas time. I think their employees should inform customers of their policy at this particular time of year. Wouldn’t that be a novel thought??

Well I've learned my lesson. I will never make a major purchase at your store for the Christmas holiday again.

I will inform all I can to BEWARE of Best Buy during the Christmas Holiday.

• Whirlpool's response · Aug 02, 2016

Hello Krikalde. My name is Melanie and I am a representative of Whirlpool. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the site you were contacted on, your user ID name, your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Melanie.

• Ni
    Nitin Jaisani Feb 06, 2007

Yes, It happened with me, I bought a camera from Best buy. before buying i asked them what if the pictures doesnt come out good. The guy over there said that you can return it within 14 days. (half truth, he didnt mention about the restocking fee or something). I tired to take the picture out of it and that was the worst camera i have ever seen the night pictures were terrible.

When i went back to bestbuy to return it. They charged me $35 restocking fee on it. When i asked why didnt you say that at front when i was buying it. They said our policy is written on the board and behind the receipt. Now who reads all the boards and small letters in receipt before buying anything. I think the Best buys policy is to play with customers innocence.

From that day onwards I never bought anything from Bestbuy.

• To
    tony downs Feb 14, 2007

Best Buy refused an exchange of a 360 x box game even with a receipt because of the return time policy... We ended up with 2 of the same game due to a gift... Never opened and only wanted to exchange it for another title of the same value or even more and we would pay the difference...

Never again will I purchase anything from Best Buy...

Terrible customer service and their return policies are borderline fraud if you ask me...

• Ll
    Lloyd McFarlin Mar 28, 2007

I agree completely. I just purchased a Sony Vaio SZ430N/B laptop computer for $1899 and could not return it without being charged a 15% restocking fee. This was only two days after the purchased (I'm typing this at 1 week since the purchase). It turned out that the DVD player would randomly become disabled. However, at the store, they put the Top Gun movie DVD in and it played, therefore nullifying my argument. I explained that it happens randomly, just out of the blue, Windows would stop seeing it as if it didn't exist. No luck. The defect has to be proven to them on the spot. Guess the customer's no longer right.

I understand these policies meant to prevent abuse, but c'mon, this is two days after purchase! Expecting someone to pay a fine of almost $300 to resolve this is insane! I will do all that I can to ward as many people as I know away from Best Buy.

• Ne
    Never Mind Apr 02, 2007

Oh yea, its the stores responsibility to read the return policy to the thousands of customer they service every week! Give me a break, read people. You can say your never gonna shop their again but where u gonna shop that lets u return electronics for cash after 14 days? Its your responsibility to read the return policy that is written on the back of every receipt at every store.

• Pe
    Perrey Apr 09, 2007

Best Buy or should i say WORST BUY has been known for years to use deceptive and misleading practices when it comes to returns, exchanges, and purchases or their so-called ESP/PSP warranties or improper ways to manage rain checks.

My advices to all who read this is, DO NOT expend your hard-earned money at Best Buy, bestbuy.com Magnolia Hi-Fi or any other entity run by the same organization. Theses crooks need to finally learn how to thread their paying consumers.

marcustechnicalservices Oct 02, 2007

I bought a camera with accessories. They shipped a wrong tripod and charger. The "professional" parts turned out to be nameless and brandless boxes, making me wonder about quality. The 4-year warranty was with a fly-by-night company.

The camera I bought (a Sony, amazingly) took very poor motion pictures. I asked to have the wrong parts remedied, and spent many hours waiting on hold, being passed from person to person. Finally I demanded an RMA. After many more days and hours, I got the RMA. I returned everything.

The customer service department had assured me that I would only be charged a 10% restock fee on what I had ordered and what had been properly shipped. When the credit came through, they took $254 off of my $1836 purchase. They never even sent me any paperwork. When complained, they said that some fine print on their site qualifies them to take "an additional 6% for shipping" on returns. In fact, they had already charged me for shipping the original order. It is a line item on my invoice.

When I complained about this treatment, they put me back into the voicemail tree and wasted time until I finally gave up. I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau.

They still owe me $150.

• Al
    Albert Raymundo Oct 17, 2007

I went to Best Buy in Sunnyvale, CA on Oct 16th @ 9:45am before the store opens just to get a DVD and two Tranformers Exclusive Toys. There are only two different Transformers toys and I just want to buy one of each but the sales person doesn't want me buy two because it's only one per customer. So told her I'm only buying one of each and it doesn't say "One per customer on your ads. So she called the Store Manager her name is Linda Ruiz and explained her the situation. The manager then check the ads and I was right it doesn't say anything about "One Per Customer" but the manager still doesn't want to sell me one of each toy. She said I can only buy one. So I told her again I'm only buying one of each and I'm not buying two identical items, so that still consider as one per customer. After arguing with her almost 15mins. She ask me "which one you want to buy because you can only buy one. The supply is limited we can only allow one per customer. So I said "I already told you I just want one of each". She rudely pull one toy from my hand and told me "Sir, If you don't want to buy just one I'm asking you to leave". I was so upset drop all the items I was going to buy and left. Another issue is she was allowing one of her employee to complete with the customer by grabbing one of the toy for himself as well. And when I was driving back to work I just realized that I have a two inch cut on my right pointing finger from the plastic case of the toy causing it the way she roughly pulled the plastic case of the toy from my hands.

The issue here was Linda Ruiz doesn't know or understand what is the meaning of "One per Customer". I wasn't buying two identical toys. I was trying two buy two different Transformers Characters. Same thing as buying two DVD's with different titles.
    I took off from work, spent gas just to be there on time and this is what I get as a regular customer? Fry's Electronics isn't the best with customer service but never treated me like this.

I would like to address this issue with Best Buy Manager Linda Ruiz of Sunnyvale, CA for being rude and miss treating me as a customer.

• Ro
    Ron Ford Dec 22, 2007

Best Buy should be embarrassed by its customer service and return policy. Recently my employees gave me a nice camcorder for the holidays. The packaging indicated clearly it came from Best Buy. I don’t need another camcorder so I tried to return it. NO RECEIPT, NO RETURN. PERIOD. I even appealed to corporate customer service who promised to email the store manager, plead for mercy and ask him to call me. He (Dave Pena of the Woodland Hill, California store), never called. After a few days I called customer service again. Again they sent an email to Dave. No reply. Today I called a third time and received a message back from customer service. Their advice? “Sell it on ebay.”

Think I’ll ever shop at Best Buy!

• Ev
    Evan Jankowski Dec 31, 2007

Sir,

I think you must understand that a reciept is everything to a company. Alot of people now are try to return things at stores they they didnt get the product from. So lets say you didnt get the camera from best buy. Now some people would try to return it in hopes of getting store credit for it. The camera did not come from there and they gave you free money. In reality its theft and punishible by law. That why they wont take it back you need to have the reciept. This scam is getting bigger and bigger each year. Companies are doing their best so they they are returning items they didnt sell and giving free store credit to people. This is a loss in pure profits for a company.

• Pj
    pj sparks Jan 06, 2008

Never again will Best Buy get my money!! I purchased a 42" Plasma Insignia TV labor day weekend and it was completely shot by Christmas!! Was told to bring the tv back in for repair, but after arrival (30 minutes in one line, told to go to geek squad, which was another 10 minutues) and was told they don't service that size and to go back home and they would send out a repairman. Couldn't get my money back, past the 60 day return policy, tried to get instore credit to upgrade was told couldn't do that either. Waited a week for repairman (very rude by the way) and was told he would have to order a part which would be another two weeks and and then up to another week to schedule another service call. Finally receive a call telling me go ahead and bring the tv back to the store, the tv cannot be fixed and they will give me a new one!! Great right, but wait!! So we load up the TV again, do the wait in line again, etc. and they take the tv and all my receipts and paper work and then proceed to tell me they are out of stock and it would be another week before they would be receiving any and I would have to come back again to pick it up!! I again tried to get a different model, brand, etc, and was told that is against company policy and I would have to just wait. So I sit here now without a TV and they have my money!!

I will do my absolute best to advise all consumers to avoid Best Buy and go to Circuit City!! One person can make a difference!!

Chad Jan 22, 2008

I've done business with best buy for a number of years and have yet to have a problem with their return policies. The policies are very specific, and if you take a moment (that's all it takes) to read the policies you'll know exactly where you stand. I've returned many items for many different reasons and have yet to have a problem. Whenever I couldn't get the full purchase price, it was clearly a matter of me falling outside of their clear policy guidelines. Moral of the story? Never trust some "young man" working for near minimum wage for proper information. Read the policy like a responsible consumer.

• Pr
    Pro-i79 Feb 07, 2008

I bought a laptop at bestbuy. It broke and was under warranty, I was very pleased that they did keep there promise and fix it. However it turned out an employee stole my power cable, 150$ later I had one that got fried because it was wrong!
    I stopped buying at bestbuy and bought from laptops for less and got it for 80$ with next day shipping. Its still working.

• St
    Steve Feb 14, 2008

My Wife bought me a Sharp Aquas 52 " LCD for Christmas. TV has an excellent picture but unfortunately the TV died on Jan 27 just before the Super B()wl. I called Best Buy support and asked if my TV was within the return window since I was told by the check-out person I had until Jan31, the support person disagreed. The support person stated it was Jan 15 (30 days from purchase). OK, fine I said. When can I get it fixed? Well, it is still not fixed but that is another complaint.

My wife and I called the store manager and the supervisor hoping to get a replacement before the big game but we were told the same story- "You are outside the return policy window, nothing we can do." The funny thing was the person who initially answered the phone told us the date was Jan31 the same as the checkout person, the manager quickly dismissed this as a mistake.

3k and 3 weeks, later still no TV.

Way to keep us coming back Best Buy. Off to the complaint boards!

• Ji
    Jim Vadevoulis Feb 26, 2008

Purchased a Kodak Printer All in One 5500 from Best Buy. (Worst Buy).
    When I opened the box I found a used printer with ink cartridge installed and paper laded. No installation CD No manual and the power cord was in a staples bag.
    I called the store where I had purchased it and they clamed that I had purchased a refurbished printer.
    I paid regular price the box did not indicate used and I picked it up were all the other NEW? Printers were.
    They have refused to get me a new printer as I purchased and the Manager is very rude! NO CUSTEMER SERVICE
    They told me to write or call their HD to resolve it.
    This is the second incident that I went thru with this store about a year ago when I purchased A HD Camera and when I opened the box at home there was no camera in the box. at that time they did get me the camera when I went back immediately a I was going on Vacation.

The Store is In Deerfield Il.
    On Wakegan Rd and Lakecook Rd.

• Ka
    Kayla Apr 11, 2008

When will consumers begin taking responsibility for their own mistakes? Come on, people! If the cashier HAD explained the return policy completely and thoroughly to every single person, you people would be complaining that they took too long! You're at a major electronics store making a BIG purchase...isn't it YOUR responsibility to make sure you know the ins & outs of this purchase? And if returning is potentially on your to-do list, why would you not take the 30 seconds to read the advertised disclaimer on the return policy? Seriously, people. Grow up.

Jeffrey Apr 18, 2008

I had a sililar expierience at Best-buy. My wife purchased a $249.99 item with cash for my birthday. When she asked the salesman if she would get her money back if I wanted to return it he told her yes because it was under $250.00. Well I did want to return it, so when I went to the customer service desk to return it with the receipt I was told they would send me a check in ten days because with sales tax the refund was over $250.00. I was told this information was on my receipt. She received the receipt after the purchase (a little late seeing how the transaction was already made). Why didn't the salesman mention sales tax was counted against the price when it comes to refunds? I now make all my electronics purchases at circuit city wheree if I pay cash they return cash on the spot!!!

• Od
    ODJ Apr 19, 2008

Well I am a Best Buy employee and also a customer service rep. Noone but the customer service reps know our whole return policy. I was a cashier and they never told me any policies or anything so please don't blame the employees. Blame management. I have heard and seen it all with angry customers from "I'm never shopping here again" to "F*** You". Really it's not the employees fault we are following rules given to us. If you guys have any complaints about thepolicy complain at 1888-BESTBUY and they handle it all. You cannot return any form of open media for a refund or exhange it for a different one only a identical copy. All open undefective cameras, laptops, and GPS's have %15 restocking fees everything else is returnable within 30 Days. Open video games and movies are not returnable only exchanable for the same thing. Really as a tip you can use Best Buy as a rental store. If you want to clean your house then buy a vacuum and use it and return it within 30 days, same goes for a TV or anything else. YOU HAVE 30 DAYS!

jeff Apr 20, 2008

Really Best Buy's return policy of 30 days, or 14 on particular items like laptops, is more than long enough to decide if you want a product or not. These policies are clearly represented on a giant display at the front of each store. I understand that the OP was purchasing it for a gift, next time bring him in to pick a laptop out. No one forced you to go to Best Buy, they have a more than lenient return policy and it is up to you to understand it prior to making a purchase if you think the product may be returned. It was foolish of you to assume that you could return a product, especially something like a laptop, any given amount of time after the purchase. Get real.

jeff Apr 21, 2008

This complaint makes me want to scream, "Duh!" Why should they take it back without a receipt? That's why they GIVE you a receipt with each sale, so you can bring it back and they can verify the purchase. Are you completely daft?

• Vi
    vickie j dunn Apr 25, 2008

I purchased a 50' plazma tv from best buy, it was an open box so we wanted to know why. the sales person informed us that it was taken to a customers home to be installed and it would not fit in the wall opening.. we decided since it had not been handled by a customer we would purchase it... well that was december 23, we did purchase the warranty on the item, (thank goodness) because on april 16 it went out... quit working completely. we called in to Best buy's warranty department, i was told that some one would contact me in 48 hours, , well after 1 week, and not hearing anything, we were getting upset but had not made a second call. 1 week after the first call the warranty department called me and said they were sorry that no one had come out but that some one would be contacting us in the next 24 hours. well two days later I get anther call from best buy they do not have a manufactures rep in the area will i call the manufacture and let then walk me through a trouble shooting exercise. I told them no, i paid for a warranty and I wanted them to send someone out... they transferred me to the manufacture who tried to do a trouble shooting call with me even after i told them no they needed to send a tech... in the process of getting her the information she needed to send out a tech, i found a note in the owners manual... the tv had been called in previous to our purchase by another customer because it was not working... so now best buy says "well the warranty is still good so what is the problem".. i purchased a new tv and expected to get a new tv not one that had alreay had repairs done to it... they have told me if I can get them the name of the sales person that maybe we can do something different. not just a repair it... well 45 minutes after I hung up the repair service that did not exit called me they are busy and will not be able to get to me till sometime next week.. they will call than to schedule something...

• Valerie May 03, 2008

I bought a new pioneer car stereo in the San Angelo Texas store. Not only does it not work but the store & installers have been no help. The manager of the store, installers can’t even set the clock. What happen to standing behind what you sell? I spent 1800.00 to buy & have installed. I’ve been in this store where people are standing in line pissed. The manager shies away from any problems. I will never buy from worst buy again. I will go local where they stand behind what they sell. Bigger isn’t better. Pissed in San Angelo Texas.

• Valerie May 09, 2008

My computer stopped working. I spent over $300.00 at Best Buys and still my computer would not connect to internet. The Geek who serviced my computer withheld very basic information that could have saved me a lot of money.(things I could have done myself like INSTALL my OWN CD)

They wanted me to return for a NIC card (which I did not need) which would have cost another $100.+ with the installation.

I chose to go to a private business and it was repaired that afternoon.

I will NEVER give Best Buy any more money.

The GEEKS suck!!!

• Valerie May 25, 2008

I understand that this is not an issue of material or service received (or not received) but I feel this is still a rip off none the less. I have shopped at Best Buy for years. When I got an MECP certification I applied multiple times to various Best Buy locations using the 'preferred' online application for a job in their mobile install bay. I finally got a call from a vary nice young lady who informed me of an appointment for my first interview. At my first interview the interviewer stepped in with the senior installer and began the interview process with the usual, is this your name, address, phone, etc... and invited me back for a second interview.

At my second interview, the same girl from the first one was there along with the services manager and we basically went over the same stuff from last time but this time the girl had left my application in her car and it was pouring rain so the services manager did not make her retrieve it. I was told I would need my own tools (which I expected) and to take the pre-employment drug screen (which I also expected). After reviewing the test results I would get hours and my pay rate, and THEN I would talk with the GM, who would make me a job offer (it confused me too). The following weekend my dad helped prepare me for what I thought would turn into a career by purchasing $400+ in tools.

Long story short, I was repeatedly lied to by the services manager who told me multiple times throughout the next month and a half that they had not received the drug test results, when in fact they had. I spoke with a supervisor at the lab and not only had the test result pushed through the day after I took the test over a month ago, they pushed through a second time at my request.

It turns out, not only had they lost the physical application with which they originally interviewed me, apparently I am the only prospective employee who made it almost all the way through the application process without ever having been in their system. That's right. They cross checked my SSN and came up with no file under 'Employees', 'Deleted Employees', or 'Terminated Employees'. Then they have the nerve to tell me to fill out ANOTHER online application so we can start all over and that they would 'look for [my] application and flag it for immediate review.'

Isn't there a law or something stating that employers are required to keep a physical copy of an application for some amount of time? All-in-all I am so fed up with jumping through hoops and calling labs doing THEIR job just to get hired. Please do not apply or purchase from Best Buy. Their overall service is by far sub-par to anything I have ever experienced either from a customer or an applicant standpoint.

I hope not all Best Buy stores are like this, but be assured I will not be dealing with any of them any time soon.

• T
    T Jun 02, 2008

I work at Best Buy as a hiring and training coordinator. Your application is held in the online application system we use for 45 days. However, if someone had bothered to put your application into any other status except "new", it can be held indefinitely.

When you were set up for an interview with the Services Manager, someone should have went in and changed the status to "Interview Scheduled." It doesn't sound like this was done...and if they sent you for a drug test, there is a status change for that too so that the number from the form can be inputted and then they know when it comes back as OK.

I think someone made a mistake and didn't know what they were doing in the hiring system, and they are covering for it. However, they are accurate in saying that you would need to redo the online applcation to be hired. And, you would also have to redo the drug test. If no one changes the status from new, the application self-deletes in 45 days, and I don't know of anyway to get it back. I hope you also had them search you by name in addition to your social, since it's possible you could have mistyped the number on the application.

I am sorry that happened to you. I take my job seriously and keep our candidates information up-to-date. Also, unless the person who had your application in her car was a manager, it never should have left the building. If you are in the system, we can print out your applcation numerous times as long as it is in there.

And the GM has a job offer form, and that is where you pay is listed too. The GM is the one that determines the pay.

• Hi
    HipHopapottimus Jun 07, 2008

If you are complaining about the return policy or restocking fee at Best Buy you either: 1. Don't know how to read the terms and conditions or the giant sticker on most boxes that say 14 day restocking fee/ 15% restocking fee that you have to cut through to open the box, or: 2. You don't know how the return policy of 99% of other retailers work. Also stop complaining if your item stopped working 2 days after the return policy, that's why they offer warranties. If you take a gamble by not buying the warranty and the item stops working, that's your fault not the company that sells it.

• Ge
    George Keff Jun 11, 2008

Bought a Panasonic PV-GS90 Mini DV Camcorder from Best Buy. Went home. Put a tape in to test camera and try it out prior to a trip. During playback, I noticed a green dot on the screen. It was a dead pixel. I went to the store that day to return it. After 1st doubting the defect was there, the return clerk finally admitted seeing it. She says they will take it back----but I will have to pay a 15% restock fee. Needless to say, I was furious.
    Charge a customer 15% to return a product bought less than 24 hrs before.
    She said that is the company policy. I ask to speak with the manager, she said that is the managers answer.
    I research the corporate profiles and also the web and THIS SITE. I find the person in charge of Customer Service- for the entire company...Lisa Smith...VP Enterprise Customer Care...ph# 612-291-5421.
    Her assistant is Allison. Allison mentioned Lisa was out of the country but would connect with someone to handle the problem. Dana Willie listened to my issue, called the store manager and assured me if I returned the product, no restock fee would be charged. I will be returning it in an hour. Hope they stick to their word, but either way-they need to change their policies.

• In
    indie343 Jun 16, 2008

For those of you defending Best Buy here, consider that most of the complaints the consumers are in slightly bent circumstances. I work in a PC retail store with identical policies. It it burned into each employee's head to tell the customer at point of sale there is a 15% restocking fee on all returned items opened. It takes 5 seconds to say this. Best Buy stands by the policy written on a wall. On a wall people!!! Most of the time it is difficult to see with the shelf talkers, merchandise and/or promotional propeganda around it. In some of these cases Best Buy is ignoring Federal consumer protections such as 72 hours for any returns period. Any consumer is protected by Federal Law to return ANY purchase made on significant hardware for 72 hours.

• De
    DENISE S. Jun 20, 2008

I will NEVER step foot into a Best Buy Store again! They have the WORST service I have ever dealt with. I purchased a JVC 52 inch TV in 9-06 along with the extended warranty. They replaced the lamp last year, then 3 wks ago the TV would turn off, then we would have to wait about 10 min. and restart it. They came out and replaced the lamp and that same day, the problem reoccurred. Obviously, that wasn't the solution, but they did not wait around to test it. A week later, they removed our TV, which at that time, said if it was going to be longer than a week, we could have our TV back till the part arrived. We called yesterday, a week after they removed the TV, and they said it would be another 5-7 days. When I inquired about a loaner, they said it was not in my warranty. I asked them to have my TV brought back until the part came in and they said I would be charged a delivery and pick up fee!

I have heard stories from other people about the horrible service from Best Buy, and now I truly believe it and have been affected by it. I will NEVER buy another product from Best Buy again!

Sincerely,
    Denise Sapp.

• Ta
    Tara Jun 22, 2008

My father bought me a laptop for christmas, and it was a very nice sleek, Toshiba, cost about 2k. Well when we got to the checkout they asked if we wanted their warranty, and insurance. Which cost an extra 200 dollars. We got it as a precautionary. Not 6months later, something went wrong. Suddenly my screen kept on giving me a "Hardware error" so we took it into the Geek squad. They said they would try to fix it, and if I wanted they would make a backup disc(s) for the things on my computer. I agreed, and was charged 100 dollars.

I come back later, (they never called to tell me it was finished, I eventually just went to the store.) and they told me that they couldn't fix it. Well since I had the Insurance and Warranty, I figured it wouldn't be so bad. NOPE! They said that it appeared to be a user error, and that was one thing the warranty, and insurance doesn't cover. They wouldn't tell me WHAT had gone wrong, they just said it was my fault, and so I couldn't get a new laptop.

Well finally I have a new laptop (NOT by Best Buy) and I have those backup discs. I had saved videos that I had from a camera, games, videos I had made, and many pictures. Well I put them in to my laptop, and open the folder. Only like 5 of the videos I had saved on my laptop were on there. So why the ### did I have to pay 100 dollars, for basically NOTHING that I had on my laptop?

Maxi Jun 22, 2008

It's my understanding that many of the people in the geek squad aren't very skilled or capable and won't necessarily know how to properly fix computer problems.

• 2f
    2 floors soaked Jul 08, 2008

I have had problems with an LG washer for over 3 of the 4 years I've owned it. I was finally talked into one of those service plans that I normally hate to buy. Well here I am 3 years later with the same problem, too many calls to count with several unreturned from customer service department, a supervisor that won't give me anyone else to call in management and still a broken LG washer. It has to be broken and fixed for 90 days before it qualifies as a repair. My machine was fixed 4 weeks ago again supposedly and it is now having the same problem and I'm being told this does not qualify as a repair. Amazing. So for 3 years if your machine breaks down every 89 days it will not be replaced by Best Buy even though you paid $300 plus dollars for the service agreement that protects you.

Amazing. My advice... Go to Sears. They sell great products, they treat their customers with respect and they back their products. Call Jerry in customer service one night and ask him for help and you will see what I'm talking about. He reads from a script does not apologize for the inconvenience and never calls you back.

Tell him I said hello!!!

• Valerie Jul 09, 2008

We ordered a TV online because you did not have it in your stores. We then had to wait four days for it to be delivered on a Tuesday. The day of delivery we get a call saying that we would have to wait two more days for it to be delivered. On the second delivery day the men open the box and the TV is damaged. So back to the store it goes to be returned. SIX DAYS to get a DAMAGED TV. We are told that it would take two days for the charge to be credited back to my wifes Best Buy card. Two days later it was not credited back. We call and are told it would take three more days to be credited back. 11 DAYS SO FAR. In the mean time we find out that the records show that the TV was delivered and the warranty started! Well, we just got back from the local Best Buy store where we were planning on buying our new TV. Instead, we find out that my wifes account STILL has not been credited!!! After spending nearly two hours at your store (including the time we spent looking for a TV with no one offering to help us) we find out that the returned TV was entered wrong and that you will have to find the TV before it can be credited back to my wifes account. Meanwhile, we are without a TV and financially responsible for a TV that we don't even HAVE. We are being held responsible for your company bungling from delivery to return.

• Le
    leftfield101010 Jul 17, 2008

Don't be too upset. The Kodak 5500 you purchased was crap anyway. Over 50% were returned defective.

• Ed
    Edward Gren Jul 29, 2008

My wife and I purchased a TV, DVD, VHS combination from Best Buy and within 60 days the VHS locked up and the TV power short circuit .I was told that the item I purchased was discontinued and replacement parts were not available and that no other TV, DVD, VHS's were available. I was offered a store credit by the manager, however I still needed a TV, DVD, VHS combination which they insisted they no-longer sold. I told the manager that this combination was available both online and at other local stores and I needed a refund. As I tried to explain "Its My Money Not Yours" and I want a refund because your store credit does not resolve my problem I need a replacement. I have now paid double the original cost. I will never enter this store again and will alert all my friends. I agree with a previous statement this store name should be known as "Worst Buy" not Best Buy.

• St
    ST2008 Aug 07, 2008

How is it Best Buy's fault that you can't be bothered to read a return policy? The standard customer may not read the return policies, but a GOOD one always is aware of them. Best Buy should not be obliged to read their return policy to you.

• Si
    Sieg Aug 11, 2008

I bought a Casio Exilim as a birthday present for my daughter. Bought the 2-year warranty, also. The month after the original warranty expired, the camera developed display problems. I brought it back to BestBuy and had it repaired. Well, it came back after a week. The problem was still there. I sent it back again for repairs. This time it took them three weeks. certain parts were replaced. Still, the problem was there. I sent it back for the third time. They kept it for about a month. Circuit cards were replaced. Still, no go. The problem was still there!!! So, I sent it back for the fourth time hoping they can catch the problem this time. The repair company sent it directly to me via UPS, with a note saying that they could not replicate the problem!!! This is after they replaced parts on it. Well, as usual, within minutes of usage, my 16-year old daughter complained and showed me that the problem was still there. So, I marched off to the local BestBuy store, this time expecting to have it replaced as stated in their "No Lemon" policy. Well, guess what. The manager insisted on sending it back again to have it verified by the same repair company who could not find the problem in the first place(!!!). I made a video to show the problem to the geek squad guys so they can show it to their manager, and I had hoped that it would convince him that the repairs were not satisfactory. The manager just kept mouthing off that it has to be verified first - so, now I'm at the mercy of the repair company. If they say they cannot find the problem, I would not get a replacement. I guess I will continue playing their game of sending the camera back and forth until one of us gives up - and that won't be me. So much for warranties and policies. I HATE BEST BUY!!!

• El
    ElleMac Aug 13, 2008

We purchased an Apple computer at Best Buy. We are satisfied with our computer, but are less than satisfied with our experience at the store and will NEVER shop at Best Buy again.

We drove 30 miles to the store to buy our I-Mac. We purchased it and were told to come pick it up in 4 hours because they had to perform upgrades. When we returned to the store 4 hours later, they told us they needed another hour. We returned an hour later, picked up our computer and returned home. We understood time was required for all they did and had no problem. At home, we had difficulty connecting to the internet. The problem was with the computer which meant we had to return to the store. When we explained at the store what was happening, we were told that they couldn’t believe the computer was the problem since they had connected to the internet the day before for the upgrades. After a few minutes of disbelief and making us feel stupid, they tried hooking it up and found that the problem was with the computer and said they would exchange it. Unfortunately, they didn’t have any new I-Macs in stock, although they did have a display model that was on sale for $100.00 less than our purchase. They would get it ready and make the exchange, credit the difference to my card, but it would require another wait period to perform upgrades.

We felt that there should be some compensation for our time, our gas mileage, the hassle and bother and our disappointment at not being able to walk out of there with a brand new I-Mac that day, the manager was quite rude and proceeded to deny any responsibility at all. We have 9 hours, 40 minutes and 240 miles into this process and I am still not sure compensation of some type is out of line. We pointed out to him that they had connected it to the internet the day before, the computer worked there but when we got home it didn’t, so it was possible that it might have been something they inadvertently did. He went so far as to tell us to our faces that they don’t do downloads by directly hooking the computer up, they do it wirelessly, a statement we knew to be false because the other employees we had dealt with assured us that they had directly hooked it up. When he was corrected quietly by an employee, he brushed that aside and said it is just one of those things and that since it wasn’t anything they had control over and wasn’t anything they intentionally did, there was no way he would compensate for it.

A few months later, we had a small glitch with our computer, discovered that Best Buy never gave us our operating disc for the second computer, which is needed to fix the problem. Reluctantly, I called them and of course, we were told that they don’t have it and that they have documentation that they gave it to us, which we know is another lie!!! Now we have to purchase it (direct from Apple, I might add) in order to fix the problem we are currently having. Best Buy has been our biggest nightmare!!!

• So
    So sad Aug 14, 2008

I can totally see everyones point, and that really sucks. My husband is a huge fan of Best Buy, but luckily I have not made a large purchase there. I was just on here lookin up their policies and found this, so I'm thinking I never will buy anything too expensive. I understand we are respondsible for reading about the policies, but I can not find them for the store online anywhere, so far. (Onl for bestbuy.com) As for reading the back of the receipt, yes we all should I agree, BUT if you have the receipt, YOU ALREADY BOUGHT IT, so doesn't matter at that point!!! I think it's a tough call. Everytime I have been in there, I have NEVER seen the policies posted. I'm sure they're there, somewhere, but if I'm there to buy something, why would I plan on returning it?! If something breaks, especially in a month or two time frame, they should do what they can to make people happy, cuz that product sucks! It's not the customers fault. And they're the ones carrying the product, so they take the respondsibility for it then.

There are too many horrible and terrible people out there who have ruined it for us inocent people who are just tryin to spend our hard earned money on a good product that we want. It's a shame!!

• La
    Laughing at the nonsense Aug 14, 2008

No store LEGALLY is allowed to take back open cds, dvds, games or software as there is this thing called a federal copyright policy. If you are not satisfied with your OPENED media, write to the manufacturer or your congressman.

Second of all, it only takes a few ###s to ruin it for everyone. Not all customers do this but there's enough that do to force companies into having a restocking fee. The restocking fee is to keep people from buying products, taking it on vacation or using it for holidays and returning it. Plus, once an item has been opened it is considered used. No one wants to be used merchandise for the same price as brand new and as such, you, the original customer, will pay for that amount that would otherwise be eaten by the company. It sucks and I'm sorry you don't like that but they are in business to be profitable and make money. If you buy a laptop or camera/camcorder as a gift, maybe bring the person into the store to see a display that you can do whatever you want with and if you don't like the displays functions do an exchange. This will saving you the complaining on a restocking fee.

Thirdly, at the top of your receipt, which, by the way is like a contract between you and whatever company saying you have now taken ownership and agree to pay the price, there is actually all the information you need on return policy of your particular purchase. It says 14 days for this product and thirty days for that. The holiday return policy is also posted on that. But wait! The best part is it PUTS THE DATE YOU HAVE TO RETURN/EXCHANGE/PRICE MATCH BY!

If YOU, the consumer. break your product and decided to NOT buy a PSP which are in fact ingrained into every Best Buy employee, that is your fault. 2 out of 10 times an employee might not offer but management breathes down the necks of employees to offer those services. Most of the time you people don't even want to talk to employees as humans let alone sales associates.

We understand you're upset and are not happy for x, y, z factor but that does not give you the right to come into the stores and yell at anyone you come into contact with. It is very hard for most people to think constructively and to stay calm as well as positive when you come into the store acting like you are going to call the customer service rep who usually knows very little about sales to begin with let alone how to explain to you about your product. We don't come into your place of business and yell at you so you should maintain a certain level of professionalism and not yell at us.

Please understand that line level employees do NOT have the power to have managers change their minds or to magically change company policy. Yes, there are some people that are unethical or lacking in morals. Some people are just afraid to ask if they don't know how to answer your questions so they make something up (not an excuse but some customers make it very hard to maintain professionalism and not making you feel like you're 2inches high).

Furthermore, we cannot override or type in a special code to allow for a price match. If you are outside of the price match policy the system will absolutely not allow a price match. Also, the funny thing about sales is that they have a start date and an end date. If you see a laptop on sale on Sunday and wait until Wednesday to go get it then you have waived your right to yell at the sales associate as you clearly do not understand that sale items generally have a limited quantity and are in high demand. Ads come out on Sunday. Prices CHANGE SUNDAY. You are most likely NOT going to get LAST weeks sale price because the SALE is over.

I've heard some horrible experiences people have had at Best Buy and I'm sorry that you ran into someone who's a [email protected] but not everyone is like that. But I don't think it's fair to bash one company and say that all the rest are perfect when you can honestly chance going to any store and having a bad experience. Those of you that say just go to Circuit City keep in mind they've closed more than half of their store because they have not been profitable as a business.

jasonewill Aug 15, 2008

I bought a 62" HDTV (Mitsubishi) from Best Buy in November of 2005 and paid $400 for a 4 year extended warranty. In the approximate three year time frame of owning this television it has been broken three separate times with an average repair time of 1.5 months and the longest time being over 2 months. The repairs are often costly and take several trips to try and repair. This most recent malfunction occured in June of this year. It is Aug 15th and is still broken. They have been to my house twice to try and rerpair the TV with no success. The technician told them it would be best to replace the televeision, but they denied the request. They ordered parts to be shipped to the service center in late July. These parts never came so another request to replace was submitted on August 11. They once again denied the request and began to research the parts. The parts were determined to be on back order so another request to replace the television was made. This request is pending with no end in sight. I was told by a customer service representative that they are trying to wait to see if the parts come off of back order before proceeding with the request. I am in a tough spot with no television and no end in sight. All I want is my television repaired or replaced, either is fine with me. However, they do not seem to be concerned with the amount of time this process takes nor the quality of customer service that is being provided.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices