Walt Disney WorldYear of a million nightmares!

On our recent trip to Walt Disney World, my family was almost ran over by a parking lot tram while we (and many other guests) were crossing in a marked crosswalk to the Handicapped parking lot at Epcot. My 78 year old father,in an electric scooter due to his Parkinson's disease, and my 10 year old daughter were nearly hit by the tram. It came within a foot of dad's scooter.

I have sent a letter to Disney, but after two weeks, I have heard nothing and don't expect to since Disney World is well known in numerous publications for ignoring complaints and problems. I am not asking for monetary compensation but a simple, formal, official apology and to know what their resolution of the persons involved in the situation were. (I live in Ohio, park admission tickets alone would be a waste anyhow.) Here is the letter I sent to Disney with all the details: August 13, 2007 Guest Claims Walt Disney Company P.O. Box 10000 Lake Buena Vista, Florida [protected] To whom it may concern: I am writing to you to tell you about our recent trip to Walt Disney World and one event near the end of the trip that totally devastated my 9 year old daughter and put a damper on the whole trip.

My family, along with some friends from Washington state, visited Disney World from July 30-August 5 of this year. This was my daughter's first visit to Disney World and my first since 1989. Our family group consisted of myself and my wife and our 9 year old daughter, my mother in law, my parents(both 78), my sister in law and her husband and 2 year old daughter and our friends a family of four (with 2 teenage daughters) who traveled from Washington State. We had been planning this trip for over a year. My father was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease earlier this summer and as a result had to use a motorized scooter while at Disney World. We stayed for six nights at the Port Orleans French Quarter, had 7 day park hopper tickets with Disney Dining Plan. First, let me say that the French Quarter was a fantastic hotel, we all enjoyed our stay there and the staff is excellent. The Disney Dining plan is also a very good option as wellin fact we were trying to use up all of our entitlements the last few days! (I think we may have still had one child's sit down meal left!) As far as the weather and crowds: it was hot and the parks were crowded and we lost most of our day at Animal Kingdom to the rain. But I am not complaining about those items. We selected that time period to come and were well aware (and prepared) for those issues.

The one issue that is minor that I will bring up before my major issue was Valet Parking at the Contemporary Hotel. We went to the Contemporary on Thursday, August 2 for dinner and I was planning to drop my parents (and the scooter) off at the door. When I pulled up and told the Valets this, they said that since we had a Handicapped License on our vehicle (it was our personal vehicle that we had driven down), the valet parking was free. They told the second vehicle (which also had a handicapped placard) the same thing. When we got our final bill for the week, there were $10 Valet Parking charges on both bills from the Contemporary Hotel! The front desk staff of the Port Orleans was very helpful and removed the charges. It seem very Unprofessional of those Valets to tell people one thing but then go ahead and make the charge from the hotel registration in the window! I didn't think Disney would prey on handicapped people like that! How many other Handicapped patrons have been taken advantage of this way?? Now for the major issue and the real purpose of this letter. On Friday, August 3, 2007, our party was leaving Epcot at about 9:05 p.m. (This time is accurate because Illuminations had just begun and since we had seen it earlier in the week, we decided to leave.) We were parked in the Handicapped lot to the left as you are looking toward Spaceship Earth. There were two trams parked in the driveway between the handicapped lot and the main entrance. Our party, along with several other patrons, began to cross (in the crosswalk) the tramway between the lot and the gates. About 6 people, including my sister and brother in law (carrying his 2 year old), myself and some other guests were in the lead. All of a sudden one of the trams (#28) began to reve its engine, it jumped a couple of times and came roaring toward the crosswalk. We moved quickly and my brother in law and I (in the rear of this group) just got out of the way before the tram came roaring through. The tram went about four cars and stopped. I then looked through the tram cars to see my dad and daughter looking shocked on the other side. (the rest of our group was behind them.

At this point, myself and another gentleman from the group who had got across headed to the front of the train as did my father and a couple of other people who were still on the other side. (the tram was now blocking the crosswalk.) As we approached the cab, several Epcot Parking people (in yellow suits/vests) had converged on the cab from the other way. As we approached I saw what appeared to be the person in charge showing some flashlight symbols to the driver (still in his cab.) and shaking his head. (Could that mean the driver wasn't properly trained?) As we approached the cab, some of the parking lot workers saw us and said: 'we are handling this, it is under control.' At that point my father was very upset and said: 'that guy almost killed us!' (He explained that the tram had missed the front of his scooter by mere inches and my daughter was right beside him!) The gentleman I was with identified himself as a season pass holder and asked to speak to a Manager.I also expressed my opinion about the driver. The lead parking lot worker and an African American woman then began to become very irate with us and told us things like: 'it was a mistake,' 'he didn't mean to do it' 'we are handling this' and then the clincher: 'this is an internal matter, its none of your business.' (none of our business we almost got killed!!). The leader then instructed the driver to move the tram. We were incensed; he was going to let this plainly incompetent driver continue to drive! Both the season pass holder and I stated that if the guy was allowed to continue driving, we would make a large scene and call everyone we could. The person who appeared to be in charge then replaced the driver and drove the tram away himself. The season pass holder then told the parking people that he was going to wait to speak to a Manager. My father, mother and daughter were still shaken by these events, so I chose to leave the scene at this point to get them back to the hotel.

Once back at the hotel, my father had to go to Concierge for another matter and while there, he reported the incident. The concierge at Port Orleans was fantastic! They made several calls right then and there about the incident and said that someone from Epcot Management would be calling us the next day on my cell phone. They also gave us the card for the manager of Epcot. The call never came until Tuesday, August 7 as we were driving home from Florida. They were supposed to call the next day, but of course waited until we had been checked out for two days. The person on the phone first spoke to my father and then me and we told her the whole story. It sounded as if she had never heard about it, so my guess is that no incident report was filed the night of the incident in spite of the fact that people were almost ran over!! She thanked me for my report and said she would look into it. I asked her for a follow up call to make sure the situation was handled. She said that Disney does not do that. I told her that I expected a follow upcall or I would pursue this through a legal course. She did call me back on Saturday, August 11 and informed me that Epcot had handled the situation but she could not provide me with any details. I then informed her of the latest development and she was the one who gave me the 'Guest Claims' address to write to. I most likely would have dropped this whole issue after her follow up call, except for something that happened after we got home. On Thursday, someone asked my daughter what she remembered most about her trip to Walt Disney World. Her reply was: 'Grandpa and I almost got ran over by a tram.' I'm sorry, but a 9 year olds memory of her first visit to Disney World should not be that. She has also been very quiet about the trip to Disney ever since that night. When school resumes in 10 days, I plan on asking the School Psychologist to talk to her and I am hopeful that this incident has not scared her. As a result, I have decided to write these letters to you and others at Disney. Since I can't read the report of that night and know that the driver has been properly punished, I am also considering telling my story in a letter to the editor of the Orlando Sentinel (which someone the Unofficial Guide gave me the address to) so that the driver will see what he has done to a little girl and get a real punishment. (since he probably is still on the job with no loss of time or pay) I may also write the story to the editor of the Columbus Dispatch, my hometown paper. You should also know that I am waiting on a response from the State of Florida as to who I need to contact there to file an unsafe operation complaint about the tram operation at Epcot. I have also began to tell this story on Travel Websites and may write to travel magazines and my father is preparing a letter for the AARP. I have read many books in preparation for my trip to Disney and the one thing that sticks out from the 'Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World' is a comment that Disney World's biggest flaw is that it does not really respond to or act on complaints, so I don't expect a response. I'm sure this will all be shoved under the rug. Epcot should be ashamed of this whole incident and especially the attitudes and actions of the cast members around that tram that night. They were certainly the worst examples of Disney I have ever encountered. The whole bunch should have been punished.

The sad part about all of this is that IF that tram had been just a foot either way from its path, this would have been handled completely differently what would the public reaction have been if a 78 year old man in a scooter and a 9 year old girl had actually been hit OR if my brother in law had been hit carrying his 2 year old??? We give thanks to God that he was watching out for us that night. (My friends from Washington State were also in an auto accident on Sunday afternoon as we were driving from Disney to Cocoa Beach. They were in their rental mini van when they were rammed at a toll booth, totaling the car and destroying much of their luggage. God watched over them as well then as there was no injuries!) Year of a Million Dreams??? Hopefully my daughter won't think of this as a ' year of a million nightmares! '

MiaMan Aug 15, 2015

Florida Residents are big impact all year around for Disney World company regards a traveling to the parks and stay at resort hotels telling us
    hotels and parks special prices .Nothing at all nothing but lies they outrages prices for hotels is out this world where we pay same price as normal
    and view to parking lots around areas are hotel much better of Disney resorts larger rooms a better prices
    Floridian sure pay more attention to this liar of Disney Company toward Florida Residents where we sustains the Disney Company all year around
    more than other visitor (sure they pack and move out)

• Ni
    ninjat Oct 27, 2013

OMG! What a mountain out of a moe hill! It was a mistake mistakes happen. You did not almost die. Your just making something out of nothing. If a 9 year old half grown kid is that upset she must be a serious wacko . I can't believe you want people to lose there job over a little nothing incident.

• Ca
    Canobielake Aug 10, 2013

This is just my observation and opinion.The poor, and/or rude service from front-line Disney World workers is the change of demographics in DW hiring over the last 25 yrs or so. Let me explain. As someone who grew-up in South Fla. in the 1970's, I remember going to Disney World a couple of times each year. Even when I was in college, I went there a few times a year during the early-mid 80's. Back then most front line park employees were young, college age folks. Many working part time and going to college. They also hired mostly local high school kids who were thrilled to be working at DW rather than the Waffle House in Kissimee. There was a rigorous hiring process and only the best applicants would be hired. It was considered a privilage to work for DW. Money wasn't great, but again, it was the prestige. There were park employees everywhere. Ready with a smile. Then CEO Eisner became onboard b/c Disney was bleeding money. LotS of money. He cut staffing levels by about 25%. Put the screws on the workers. Do more with less. After a while of this the DW smile starts to fade. Also, central Fla. changing demographics affected the hiring pool. Those smiling, cheerful and motivated college and high kids were replaced with middle-age, and senior citizens. Last time I was with my own kids at DW, most workers appeared to be 60+. I have nothing against geriatric workers, but some of them are just not cut out to be smiling and cheerful DW workers. Some are old, tired and cranky. Very cranky. Also, alot of immigrants are being hired. Many appear to be eager to help, answer a questions, but can not speak and /or understand English well. Many sometimes will speak in their native language(mostly Spanish) with other workers and/or customers. If one is not used to dealing with people whose native language is not English, I can see how a Englisg only customer might percieve this as rudeness. Myself, growing up in S. Fla., Speaking Spanish and dealing with other cultures is not unusual. However, if you are say, Milwakee WI, you are not used to this.
    Best of luck with your future visits.

• Il
    I LOVE DISNEY Jan 20, 2012

Some peoplel are pathetic...Disney does things right...We live in South Florida and are annual passholders. which means we go there ALOT..AT LEAST 6 TIMES A YEAR... and if she thinks she getting a free trip, tickets, vacation packages or anything else...DREAM ON... I have a handicap sticker on my SUV and why you would give the Valet your room card is beyond me...We leave the keys in the truck, they give us a white ticket...we tip them...and that's it...These people are the kind that will complain to get stuff for free, if everything dosen't go there way...I FEEL VERY SORRY FOR THE KIDS...THEY HAVE TO HEAR THERE MANIAC FAMILY MEMBERS...

• Ao
    Aomiel May 13, 2011

My husband and I were gifted on our 30th anniversary to an all expenses paid trip to Disney this past October by our 'children'. We stayed at the Pop Century resort and had meal passes. I have nothing but praise for the resort staff. They were courteous and very helpful. The staff at the parks is another matter. The overall rude behavior of the Disney Park employees, particularly those in the Magic Kingdom, was memorable enough to make sure I never go back. I did get employee names and I did write a letter to Disney. I did not want or expect any type of monetary remuneration. I simply wanted to make Disney management aware of some of their employee's less than stellar job performance...as I would hope my customers would do if one of my employees behaved badly.

• Dm
    D-man1 Mar 16, 2011

All of the negative people coming down on someone who feels a certain way or are unhappy about his or her experience should just keep your comments to yourself. I can't wait for each of you to have a bad (in your mind) experience at Disney, or any other place for that matter, so that others can tell you how crazy you seem, sound, or are!

I also thought Disney was a great place to go until we were literally kicked out of our $1500/night room the last 2 nights because the resort (the infamous Grand Floridian) screwed up our reservation even after I confirmed our remaining length of stay with the front desk two days prior to our departure from the hotel. Don't worry, your time will come!

MilitaryNut2005 Mar 03, 2011

As a former Cast member and working in parking operations ie. Tram driver and Spieler. YOU ARE WARNED with signs posted and by 2 LOUD horn blasts that a tram is going into motoion and that they have the right of way and WILL NOT STOP!. the Spielers warn people on board that trams have the right of way. and at any point in the parking lot around any tram area you can see yellow signs stating that trams have the right of way. and as a tram driver going a full 13mph it is not easy to stop the tram thats why we honk to warn you to back up out of the way. and it is YOUR fault that you crossed the safety polls without looking and if you did look and see it comming it was all your fault. i have had many people look at me and give me looks when i honk and wave them out of the way like, we have the right of way, YOU DONT< TRAMS DO! and any tram driver slows down if we get with a certin distance to a person or area, We have 3 color lines for our speeds and we cant break that color speed. and before going thu most crosswalks defently at the TTC you hear 2 honks before it passes. and all others we move to miss or stop if guests are present. i have worked epcot and mk and both are hard to be in the path unless you fail to look and then again it is YOUR fault!

Anthonyarcara Jan 04, 2011

Disney needs to have American citizen day. Way too many stinking foreigner there to who can't speak ENGLISH. Come on if you can afford disney you can afford a English book!

• Sk
    skytrain Dec 27, 2010

Last night, 25 December 2010 may be my last visit to any Disney park. I had decided to visit Magic Kingdom with my family thinking it would be a memorable experience. Well it was, but not in a good way! The park was extremely crowded, but this was not too unusual since it was Christmas day. What was surprising was what happened when we started to leave after the 10pm Fireworks show. The crowds were so congested that our small children were in danger of being trampled. Crowd control and management was a total meltdown for the Disney cast members. Once we arrived at the ferry dock to return to our cars, we learned that the ferry was closed down, and were directed towards the bus terminal area. The mob of people leaving completely swarmed the bus terminal. I did not see one Disney employee there to control the crowd or provide direction. After being pushed and shoved slowly towards our bus terminal (for over 2.5 hours), a Disney employee showed up and told us that the ferry had been re-opened. Several people went down to the ferry only to learn that this was incorrect information. The bus drivers seemed confused and overwelmed. Several of the buses left the terminal with just a few people on board. Eventually a couple of Disney managers showed up but kept their distance from the angry crowd. They were getting their [censor] chewed out by a few folks. The whole thing looked like the keystone cops, not the Disney I remember from years past. Next to me was a man in a wheel chair who was wet from a recent downpour. I arranged for him to advance in front of me in the line, after issuing a few crowd motivating military style commands, they got the hell out of our way. A Disney employee was standing near us the entire time in the back of the bus terminal was not doing anything. It was not until a few of us became vocal about the situation that the employee finally came over to escort the man and another lady in a wheel chair over to the buses. The other lady in the wheel chair was completely out in the rain, covered with plastic waiting for someone to help her. She looked like a corpse at first glance. If I EVER return to Disney, it will be for the purpose of documenting this management melt down on video and uploading it to Youtube and distribution to news affiliates.

• Ra
    Random Hottie Dec 05, 2010

Disney`s Pixar Canada's landlord may have forced at least six tenants in their Gastown location out of their premises to accommodate their expansion. Disney-Pixar set up temporary headquarters in the Water Street building in April 2010, subsequenty decided they wanted to stay and acquire more space, and began negotiating with the building landlord, which conveniently resulted in cancelled leases for existing tenants and denial of lease renewals that were the tenant's options. Technicalities were found to deny continuation of these tenancies, including eviction due to major building renovations (renos were minor alterations), late rent technicalities (when tenants duly and regularly paid their rent), and not allowing renewal options by failing to negotiate lease rates. All these small local artistic companies had no intentions of leaving and none of these issues with the landlord surfaced until Pixar wanted more space. They now have had to relocate at their own expense. It is very difficult to believe Pixar could be unaware that, just as they indicated their preference to stay, virtually all of the building's tenants suddenly began moving out en masse. Each tenant has a story about their eviction that will come to light soon. The sad thing is that there is a lot of available vacant production space in Vancouver that Pixar could have had without being the impetus resulting in small independent creative businesses having to move..

MilitaryNut2005 Sep 29, 2010

Ok man LET IT GO. people like you are the type of people who make me regret serving this country. I have been in 5 Disney Cruises and been to every park in the US more then 5 times. epcot and AK are in there teen's. Not once in 20 years of going to disney have i ever seen, heard, or had a bad time to where it caused mental harm or killed me. you gripe over this how do you think the family of the boy who died on mission space felt? to quote a wise man LIFE SUCKS GET A HELMET! now i have had 3 times where i have been hurt, sick, and passedout on disney property all of my own fault (Like you) the first time i got hurt i got stuck in my room for 3 days, they did everything within there power to make sure i was ok and i was happy. they braught me dinner and breakfast without me asking for it, movies, autographs. just to make sure i had a smile. when i was sick in epcot my mom asked someone to get a emt to take me to first aid, that person did that and more, she took my mom to one of the shops and said you get him a new outfit no charge. and they had to go to downtown disney to find some items. ALL FREE. and again they took care of me. then on my last trip i triped out of the tram and guess what again MAGICAL SERVICE. even tho i had to get a cast on my leg the manger invited me and my family to be the first family in AK the next day and he hooked us up with free food, drinks, and arainged a Safari tour for me to do. and suprisingly i think your just a person who cant let go. so pull your head out of your butt, deflate it from it being so big, and move on.

• Or
    Orchard valley Jul 09, 2010

I am currently in Florida vacationing with my kids after saving for a long time and driving almost 18hrs from Chicago to visit the Magical Disney World or so I thought. I totally agree with the complaints here as three days in to my going there I have experienced nothing but rudeness by most of the people who work there. Let me start with Magical (not so) kingdom, I got a fast pass for the buzz light year ride for 8.45 p.m. Exactly at 8.44 p.m I stood in the line..so by the time I get to the entrance or where they check the fast passes it would be past 8.45 p.m. A employee named Maria comes to me where I was standing in the line and asks me to show my fast passes. She then tells me that It's 8.44 p.m and that I have to leave the line and go back and stand all the way back in the line. I asked her why should I leave the line when It's already 8.44p.m and I am not even near the entrance. She said no it's not 8.45 you got to leave. By the time she finished talking it was actually 8.46 p.m.yet she made me go back in the line. While standing in the line I noticed that MARIA was not checking everyone's fast passes like she should. I felt very discriminated and upset that they would treat some people so special and some like crap. I made sure I reported that to the manager and he was apologetic and I just forgot about it.
    Second day, Hollywood studios one empolyee yelled at my kid for pointing at buzz light year character and says donot point at our characters. The kid who was standing behind us in the line hit the buzz character with the toy in his hand and he didn't say a word. I just ignored it and walked away.
    Third day Epcot, I was buying a smoothie and the lady was so rude to my husband when he asked her a question. She turned around and was saying something in spanish and laughing. Once again didn't want to argue or say anything in front of my kids.
    I am not looking for anything from Disney, don't even care if they apologize or not as it's not worth my time. I just want to throw in my 2 cents on how bad the customer service is in Disney world. Such a beautiful place should train their employees to treat everyone with respect as everyone deserves to have a fun vacation.
    I will enjoy the rest of my vacation as it's my hard earned money and I am not going to let any nutcase spoil it. Having said that I will not return to Disney World again.

• Ki
    Kitryn Jul 08, 2010

We just left Disney. I had a bus driver take off with ONLY my 10 year old on the bus after not listening to us telling her he'd gotten on. Then Another almost hit my 13 year old after the first driver had told him to run back and catch the other bus. He wasn't sneaking up on it, the driver just waved him off and pulled out around him, just missing him. Them a third driver let me on with my 2 year old, and within seconds hit the gas before wed even had a second to sit down. He fell forward REALLY hard hitting his face in the aisle. NO ONE cared about ANY of it!!! I suppose another dead kid by a Disney bus is just to be expected.

You people that keep going on that were all nuts because your experience was "so magical", have never experienced things like this. My kids were traumatized at Disney. I used to LOVE it. Now I'll NEVER go back.

• Ca
    carberg Jul 02, 2010

To whom this may concern went on a family trip to disney, me and my husband live in florida so we purchesed a 3 day pass so we can spend the trip with our children and grandchildren from up north the day we went to animal kingdom my wallet was stollen right out of my pocket book with in 3min.as we were going into the park it happened right at the gate so our day was really ruined i had to cancell my credit cards call the bank told the kids to just go on without us we had to go to guest relations and they called security it was a really bad day so we did not get to see anything in animal kingdom i would like to a least get that day back if nothing else, I have called and called and just nothing please someone just please at least call me or something .thankyou .Carol Bergman [protected]

chumly Apr 06, 2010

Stop whining..no one was hurt..and your neurotic, needy response is teaching your kid to require endless mental stroking, just as you do. Buck up...grow up..and realize that people do their level best...write the papers if you will...you will be seen as a spoiled mother who is raising a child to lash out at innocents and hold corporations responsible for your personal reactions. Grow up! The world is fast and complicated, and Disney manages thousands of folks in a safe way almost all of the time. They are not God..things happen, and since no one was hurt..go with the flow..let it go and move in...I noticed the rest of your stay was nice..if this is all your child remembers, its because of you.

• Sq
    squirmy Apr 02, 2010

Holy crap, the guy made a mistake! Having your daughter see a shrink because you were apparently 'almost hit by a parking tram'??! Wow, you're a nutjob.

I have to say, though--thank you. This 'complaint' of yours gave me a great laugh tonight. ;)

• To
    tony sanares Mar 03, 2010

on 3/03/2010 my wife and 3 kids went to disneyland to purchase their yearly annual passes my wife already had her pass, she told the lady named linda that she wanted the 3 annual passes for the kids and then to add the parking pass to her exsisting pass.the lady continued to put a parking pass on my 12 year old sons pass, even though my wife was trying to tell her she was puting it on the wrong pass the lady replied I know what im doing!she charged the 600.00 on my wifes credit card, then realized she put it on the wrong pass and then credited back the 600.00, and charged it for another 600.00 to correct the problem.thus puting 1200.00 worth of charges on my wifes credit card this is the only card she took with her to the park and since the lady maxed it out they cut the trip early so the kids could come home and eat.not looking for any compensation just wanted to let people know double check your charges when they swipe that credit card, you might hand your card to someone that knows what they are doing!

• Me
    MelV Jan 26, 2010

I can't believe this complaint. Like the others said... a Tram doesn't just sneek up on you. If you're at a crosswalk, you can't just cross without making sure all of the vehicles have seen you and had a chance to stop. It's not like one of those Trams can stop on a dime. I think sometimes people get wrapped up in the fact that they have the right of way and forget to use their brains. I always teach my kids that even if you have a green light to walk, or you're at a crosswalk, don't step out onto that road untill you know everybody has stopped, and it's safe. Having the right of way isn't much comfort when you're being scrapped off the pavement, is it? That's just common sense. Now the fact that this person made such a drama out of it, shows that this is a huge exageration. I don't believe for one second that the other cast members would have given attitide if the family was completely innocent, and it was the Tram driver acting like a raving lunatic. I would suspect that too much of a big deal was made at the time, or they all just stepped out infront of the Tram, in the dark, without giving him enough time to stop, and then cried victim to the other employees.

And as far as the weird suggestion that the 9 year old needs councilling... give me a break!! Things happen in life. You're going to turn your kid into a massive drama queen. If she had got hit, or witnessed her Grandfather getting hit, then of course she would be traumatized. But I think it is you who are egging her on to act like this "almost accident" is such a big deal. The day we were leaving for my 10 year old daughters first trip to Disney she was almost hit by a car. That morning the school bus stopped for her with all of it's lights flashing. We live on a corner, and as she started to cross, a car came around the corner at high speed and screeched to a stop when they realized they were going to hit her. Thank God, they made the stop no more than 2 feet from her. She is a competitive dancer and that night she was suppose to leave for Disney. Her first Disney trip, and her ability to dance would have been taken away. But you know what... It didn't happen.. She wasn't actually hit... she was almost hit... NOT THE SAME!!! No councelling needed!!! She will still say laughingly, as if it was an adventure, "Hey remember how I almost got hit, I was lucky that time" It didn't ruin her memories of Disney. She doesn't wallow and get depressed about the fact that she was ALMOST hit. Get over it and stop teaching your kid to be one of those people that nobody can stand to be around.

And just to add my 2 cents on the other people with petty complaints:
    Stop looking for opportunities to get free stuff. If a ride breaks down while your on it, I agree, that sucks, but I wouldn't go storming to guest relations to complain. Life happens, you can't expect to get compensated for everything that ever goes wrong. I've even read a lady's complaint that while her hands were full of bags, and she could't hold her son's hand, some people rushed passed him and knocked him over. To make it worse it was his birthday. She was mad that Disney's Guest Services had the nerve to tell her that it was not something within their control, and that she should have had a hold of her son. She felt that they should have compensated her in some way, and argued that how could they possibly expect her to be able to carry all the bags and keep hold of him all the time. Come on people...are we really that full of ourselves. Now, the person with the kids in hospital with food poisoning from Epcot... That is absolutely, without a doubt, a valid reason to complain and request compensation. All you frivolous complainers, say thanks you weren't in that family's shoes.

• Na
    Natural711 Jan 09, 2010

Okay honestly, if you guys are complainign about Disney, then you should come to Canada, more over Ontario and visit "Canada's Wonderland" this park is the absolute definition of crap. I spent my xmas holdiays at Disney and found the place to be quite acceptable, compared to other aprks that i ahve been to. they not only accomodat chidlren but people of any age may find fun in what disney ahs to offer. the only thign that i woudl complain over abotu Disney was the food choice and prices. Hollywood Studios was the worst with food, my mother and sister were overdrawn with hunger and the only food place that was available for purchase served, food not that many peopelw ould be fond of. grilled chiken and peas? Where's the hamburger?...a good 10-20 minute walk away. lovely...My only biggest complaint against them would be the Dj they ahd chosen for the Ne wYears Eve party bash, apparently they were playing Empire State of Mind by Jay-z and Alicia Keys, and it was the uncensored version, so almsot eveyr single swear word in the song was overheard on the P.A system. i'm 18 now thsi deosn't bug me but to the parents walkign wiht their yougn chidlren covering their ears and becomign upset about it, it bugs them the most. Apart form thsi Disney is really worht the time spent visiting the park, if you go it's wayyy cheaper if you purchase more than four days where you are able to purchase the non-expiring tickets. you can use them whenever you'd like, next year hell even five years, i could never get broe dof Magic kingdom or hollywood studios...i've done Epcot in hafl a day but was not able to finish H.S or M.K in a full day...9am till 9pm..NOOO hehehe...oh welll

• At
    Athur Sleep Dec 21, 2009

I was at Disney Magical Kingdon over the Christmas period 2008. Myself, my Wife and 3 children went there on Christmas night.
    Im Sure Disney have a policy on crowd conjestion and over filling the park, but on that night im sure they lost control. If a problem 'had' have occured, such as small fire, a guest needing medical attention they would have been hard pushed to deal with the sittuation.
    I hired one of the park strollers for my littkle girl, but it was just to difficult to use due to the sheer volume of people in the park, i had to abbondon it (not good i know) and get her on my shoulders. No joke it would have taken about an hour just to get down the main street. Towards the end of the night it became too scarey for my kids, (and 'hay' im a big strong fella and i was worried) so we decided to leave the park. We had to leave the park by 'Secret exits?' probably staff exits and entrances thats how busy it was. plus they were still letting people into the park.
    Anyway We like Disney, and i think my Children got over it. why shouldnt they with all the other fun stuff to do.
    Were any of you other fine people there that evening; and what do you think?

• Tr
    travisB Nov 12, 2009

You should see a crazy doctor yourself if you didn't stop when that 10 ton, loud tram started up and began moving. Maybe your family shouldn't have tried to think it could beat it before it got to the crosswalk. WOW. I feel just a little more stupid after reading your story. No one got hurt so there never was an "INCEDENT." And by making your daughter see someone after that is just making it worse. Now she will grow up thinking it's the worst place on earth for just that one thing. I am pretty young, but I can say that you need to grow up and realize Disney doesn't revolve around YOU!

anmog Oct 25, 2009

I forgot to mention that summer 2008 we had 3 of our children hospitalized for a week from food poisoning at Epcot.

This situation was handled well though. The employees that handled our situation were nice. We wound up getting our hotel fee reimbursed, since we had to leave to go the hospital Emergency Room and then 3 of our children were admitted to the pediatric unit of the hospital. They also extended our tickets without an expiration since we did not get to spend that week at the parks due to the illness.

The situation with the women fighting was handled by Guest Services inside Hollywood Studios. We don't know what happened, but I am sure the woman taking the report handled it.

As far as today, I spoke briefly with a manager tonight, and I am calling the head of security tomorrow.

anmog Oct 25, 2009

I think the point here is that Unsatisfied customer is very pissed off about what happened to his family. We should throw gasoline on the fire by commenting how stupid he is. That's ridiculous! He's upset, he spent tons of money saving for this trip, drove for days there and back and a crazy tram driver almost hit his dad. To make it worse, the employees did not take the situation seriously and handled it wrong. They should have just said sorry. A "sorry" goes a long way. Kindness and good customer service skills go a LONG way. He would never feel like he had to write in this forum.

As a business owner, I know I've had to say "sorry" for things my employees did that upset my customers. Sometimes it was the customer's fault and I still had to find away to make them walk away happy by compromise and treating them well, like their opinions matters. Common courtesy can be a huge blessing in business.

Just today I had Rich, the security guard from the Boardwalk treat us like convicts just for wanting to eat dinner there. It was my 10th wedding anniversary and we were there for dinner. He could have said "Happy Anniversary" or smiled. He just interrogated us as to why we were there and had us park across the street. We parked, and walked, which was fine. It was his gorilla like attitude that was hurtful. We walked around and then left. We decided to not drop the usual $125 on dinner at Disney and ate nearby.

Just 2 months ago at Hollywood Studios, two employees were arguing about their break time. One woman slammed her ice cream cart cover down so hard it made my husband's ears ring for quite a while. Stuff like that, or the parking lot attendant, or what happened with the tram driver needs to be addressed with a smile. It's just that easy to make someone walk away with a better image of Disney or any other business.

And to the person who had never seen a bad tram driver, once at Animal Kingdom our tram driver ran over a rabbit because of his crazy driving! Another woman and I almost fell out when that guy went around a curve he was driving so fast!!! Then when he hit the bunny, all the kids on the tram started screaming and crying, including mine!

But anyway sir, my suggestion to you is to write about what happened to Disney and send it until you hear back from them, that they really did handle it. Your daughter will be fine though. Children are amazing and they get over things easily that adults don't. Children are a miracle, they are so kind and forgiving. You need to find peace with this for your own sake, and hopefully Disney will write to you one day and tell you your opinion matters, because it does.

• Da
    DarDis Sep 11, 2009

What most of you people who are commenting on the tram incident are forgeting, is that thoes people were in a MARKED CROSSWALK!! as you people so clearly missed reading. Now, I dont know what state you live in, but here in Florida, the law clearly states that any kind of vehicals must YEALD TO FOOT TRAFFIC if they are in a CROSS WALK! . I can understand it if they were not in a crosswalk and almost got hit, then go ahead and make fun of them and put them down, but they were in one. You all need to go back and read the complaint very carfully again!!!

• Fr
    frustratedwithdisney Aug 26, 2009

Hi. I too have a complaint. I was at Magical Kingdom yesterday (Aug 25th)with my husband and two children. Anyways, we were riding Splash Mountain and were halfway through the ride when the ride developed problems. We were stuck inside the mountain in a log for almost an hour. There were about 8 other logs inside this mountain with about 6-8 people per log. Anyways the wait was long with small children, especially when they needed to use the bathroom. Workers came through the building on the side of the displays a couple times and they were heard speaking over a microphone system. Various other people asked if we could kindly get out of our logs and walk out of the ride just like they(the workers) could do. We were not allowed until 45 mins into being stuck on the ride. To make things worse my daughter is handicap and there is no way to get her wheelchair to her. So she endured much pain as we helped her out of the log and the 10 min it took to get her out of the ride area. She needed her wheelchair however it was impossible to get it to her and we (my husband and I had to half carry her out. Not a fun adventure. Anyways, we went to the customer service area to complain and got no where. They just said that things happen and it is out of their control. So not only did we waste 45 min stuck on a ride but daughters suffered an exteme amount of pain while attempting to get to her wheelchair. Not nice at all!!
    Plus, for the most part yes the parks are handicap friendly. The part I did find difficult was the bathrooms. I found few (if any) had the handicap buttons to push to open the door for the wheelchair. It is difficult to open a door and direct a wheelchair at the same time. We ran into this problem a lot at the EPCOT Park.

D Small

• Di
    disney guest Aug 19, 2009

I think you were right to complain. The nastsy comments must have been from Disney Employees standing behind their company. I have just returned from Disney and the Disney workers make many mistakes because they do not focus on their job like they should. You are lucky that you did not loose a family member.

• Bd
    B Diddy Aug 13, 2009

Boy> I just stumbled onto this site. I can't believe of some of the complaints that people make. I just seems that people look for any reason to complain about anything. I understand that Disney charges alot of money just to get into the parks. If you're going out of your way to visit Disney You should have your player face on. Relax and take a easy. I rather see someone complain about the food prices or the junk that Disney pawns off to the visitors. Oh well maybe time.

• Lm
    Lm0814 Jul 14, 2009

Exactly, I agree with crazyfamily...It was an accident! Get over it!!!

• Cr
    crazyfamily Jun 02, 2009

Get over it lady...it was an accident...I guess the "world" owes you something for "almost" being ran over huh? Move on, realize people make mistakes...You certainly did by coming on here and making a big deal out of nothing...Something would have been if you were actually ran over...THEN COMPLAIN by all means...but not over an accident. Get on with your life and if you think it is acceptible for your daughter to have to seen mental aid at school due to this issue...YOU TOO NEED MENTAL ATTENTION and Medication...chill...It was an honest mistake...move on...and if you are that unhappy don't go back to WDW...that would be great so then when I return every year I don't have to be around downers like you! Have a great life!

• Ac
    ACS1107 May 06, 2009

I want to respond to the woman who complained about Flo checking her bags at the Magic Kingdom.

I am a season pass holder and have been to all of the WDW parks more than I can count. I have NEVER had a cast member physically touch any of my belongings. They ask you to open each item they need to look at and poke and prod with a stick what they need to move.

I know that they can be abrupt at times when asking for you to open your bags. I would complain about the handling of your possessions and chalk the bad attitude up to being in the heat all day checking bags of people who give them attitudes over doing their job, having to ask EVERY person to open the bag when they get there even though EVERY person was standing in line watching the people before them doing it, and then getting attitude from people who felt the line was moving too slow (even though it was the fault of the unprepared visitors)!

It's unacceptable to get attitude from anyone, but put yourself in their shoes, be happy that you don't have to get attitude from the thousands of people you see everyday, and enjoy the rest of your day at the most magical place on Earth!!!

• Se
    seriously Apr 06, 2009

Seriously? Obviously you have no sense. If you had been paying more attention you wouldn't have come anywhere near the tram. They don't exactly come speeding down the TRAM LANE (yes...imagine that...a lane devoted to the trams!) at sixty miles an hour. And as far as your daughter being "traumatized"...HAHAHAHA! She overreacting since that's what kids do...looks like she learned it from you. I hope you never go back so those poor cast members don't have to deal with you and your nonsense.

• Sl
    SlavetoMickey Apr 03, 2009

WHAT A ###. God I thought I was reading War and Peace. This LOSER has nothing better to do then write a 20 page report on "Grandpa getting run over by a tram" People like this have virtually no life whatsoever and shuck corn in Nebraska 12 months a year then go to "THE BIG CITY"where they almost get KILLED by a Walt Disney Tram! Next time I suggest a vacation to HARLEM. Only then will you understand that GRANPA was safer then he has EVER been at WDW.

• Mr
    mross Feb 05, 2009

I have been to Disney 9 times. I can tell you from my experience that Disney does NOT descriminate against handicapped people. I myself have a handicapped son and would not have taken him there the four times that he's been there if they were. To the lady that wrote the complaint, if your daughter has to see a school psychologist because you say her grandfather almost got ran over by a Disney tram, you and your family have some serious issues and probably all need to get help! You've seemed to complain many times that you've almost been ran over by a tram. Yes, the trams move quickly, especially at night. They have lots of people to move, but there are also markings on the pavement and place for you to stand so that you don't get ran over! Everything attraction and ride is made so handicapped people can ride or take part in them. Workers at Walt Disney World are extremely cautious. I've never seen anything like what you're describing. As far as being over charged for something that's It's sounds to me like something that can easily be taken care of. You people sound like people that should stay home!

• Bu
    Bunnyheart Jan 29, 2009

I am a seasonal cast member and I do agree that the way the cast members in and around the tram handled the situation was completely wrong, especially their attitudes. We are taught to be courteous and polite to the guests at all times, regardless of the situations. There is better ways they could have dealt with this. The firs most being that the cab driver and the cast member look out on the back of the tram should have both apologized immediately, no matter who was at fault. Second, a manager should had been called to come as in the case with any accident. A season pass holder should not have had to ask for a manager to be called. The cast should have already done it. The rudeness was uncalled for, to tell you that it is none of your business...that is rude.

But then, I also think that you are overacting by writing the newspapers and threatening lawsuit, especially the latter. Disney is known to settle cases so that they do not have to be bothered with cases. And as others have said, they would not tell you in what way the employee(s) were dealt with. Writing a letter to Guest Services is a very good idea. Unlike what post people think, guest service letters are read. We have a cast paper that comes out every so often that has publicized letters from Guests who have wrote to Guest Services.

Move on. Do not tarnish the memories of your trip any more than you already have. And I hope that your next trip is a more enjoyable experience.

• Ge
    Gennifer Nov 22, 2008

Please tell me that this is a joke??!!! A school psychologist???? WOW!!! I feel bad for this child, not for a tram ALMOST hitting her (prolly b/c no one taught her to look both ways before crossing) but b/c of your overreactions!!! WOW-poor kid...disney won't mess her up--you will..

Joann Durso Jul 22, 2008

I have just returned from Disneyworld. My granddaughter and I went to Disney's French Quarters on July 7, - July 18, 2008. I have no complaints with the resort, they were wonderful. My complaint stems with the workers who check your bag before you enter the Magic Kingdom.

Let me state my views on this first. They seamingly check the bag your carrying, but they don't check your person. This to me is a farce thay Disney started since 9/11. Anyone can bring a fire arm in his pocket at anytime. So I con't see the reasoning for checking the bag/bags that you carry into Disney.

In any event, my complaint stems from one of the bag checkers, named Flo. An African American women at Magic Kingdom. As I was standing on line to be checked, I noticed that the line was going very slowly. When she came up to me, viciously she said, "open your bag!!". I proceeded to open the bag. It had two raincoats and my camera in a camera case. She squeezed the camera case. Then in a vicious manner told me to open up the case!!! I was very offended by the way she attacked me. Afterall, I could have had a gun in my pocket, and she would never have realized it. She tore open the camera case then proceeded to check another person. I then proceeded to tell her that she didn't check the small purse I have around my neck. She then said again in a vicious manner that I was to stay and she was going to do it. She tore open my purse. I told her that she a very nasty person. Then she told me that she was calling security. I told her good!!! Now I can take care of her.

I stepped aside and a nice man came to me. He was smiling and asked me what the problem was. I proceeded to tell him how I was treated by this women. I told him that her demeanor was vicious and I am officially complaining about her. I wanted her name. He would only give me her first name, FLO. I asked for her last name but would not give me it. I then asked for an ID number and was told that she didn't have one.

Well now I'm officially complaining. I guess she thought that I was going to be kicked out. He was very pleasant to me. I made my point, then I was on my way to Magic Kingdom. My granddaughter could not understand why she was so unpleasant to me. I told her that she must dislike her job. Too Bad!!!Disney has a policy that any complaints could justify them from firing you. I just hope that someone from Disney checks this complaint site and gets to the bottom of her demeanor and behavior. I go to Disney every year for the past 8 years and never encountered anyone like this person. I hope Disney cleans up their act. As I said the check site is a farce as anyone can bring in a weapon in their pockets.

• Da
    dave hensen Jun 12, 2008

let me get this straight...you were ALMOST hit by a tram??? And you want what? Look, the first response was correct, these trams are LOUD and clearly visible. And quite frankly, people in these scooters seem to think they are entitled to having the world stop for them. Quite honestly, if I was a juror, I'd side with Disney for wrongful lawsuit (if you filed one).

Disney does go out of their way to make everything handicap accesible, as my 93 year old grandmother can attest to. WDW does try to make everyting "magical", but geesh buddy, life happens. Get over it, be glad your afther wasn't hit, and find something real to complain about

• Lg
    L G Apr 05, 2008

Disney does not discriminate against the handicapped! That's crazy to even imply that they do!

I have a handicapped individual in my family and we have never had any problems! As a matter of fact, we have had cast members go out of their way to make our experience even more magical!

We have gone to Disney World so many times that I have lost count and have never had a problem! And the trams don't just sneak up on you. How can you miss a very long and very loud tram coming at you??

• Ro
    Robin Mar 04, 2008

I too have had a trip of a million nightmares and received no apology from Disney. I tried contacting guest services and was told that they do not deal with little people just travel agents.
    I received no response to questions to Disney corporate or the ceo so I probably will not get any information I asked for.
    A member of my family is also handicapped as am I so I believe that people such as us will never be treated with respect at any Disney property.

This trip was also a first trip for two grandchildren and I am glad that they were too little to understand what was going on( which I shall not go into here).

I was very upset that children under 3 are not feed on a meal plan unless they eat off your plate.(children do not like the same things as adults as a rule) so meals had to be purchased over the cost of the meal plans.

I would not reccomend that anyone go to ANY Disney park, I know that I will not.

• Ga
    Garb. Sep 17, 2007

Oh my god... you know, I actually did muddle through to get to the details of your "major" issue... you are a real piece of work. You know nothing about the situation of the tram driver, and honestly, it's not for you to know. Someone made a mistake and you are threatening to take it through legal courses if you are not satisfied that he has been "punished"? For all you know, the man could have become ill, the tram could have malfunctioned, or anything. If your daughter is "damaged" from all this it is probably because you are being neurotic about it and she's being raised by an absolute basket case. It's people like you who make CS reps want to completely ignore even valid complaints.