Complaints & Reviews

rip off

Vonage states that if anything happens to your internet or computer and the service is down, the calls will...

vonage redefines the meaning of unlimited

Vonage is a scam!

I have reported them to the FCC, NJ Atty Generals Office and BBB ... let's see what happens.

If you are thinking of switching to Vonage BEWARE. Lastly, once you port a number to them - good luck getting it back ... it's like pulling teeth!

scammers

For years I've heard complaints about that mickey mouse company. On June 4, 2011, I rec'd a wonderful offer in the mail, so wonderful that I got suspicious so I decided to check with this Board and sure enough, my instinct served me well. My advice to all of you is to: 1) Report them to the BBB in your area, you can file the complaint online. 2) Report them to the FCC. 3) Talk to an attorney, or check with Legal Aid in your city. 4) Sue them in Small Claims in your city, it's easy, you can get all the info. online. 5) Save all correspondence, bills, cancelled checks, etc. you will need them as proof when you take them to court. 6) Don't be intimidated by Vonage or anyone else. Small Claims are there to protect us, the little people. They are informal, quick, and to the point. 6) Don't forget to include the filing fee and the process server, the certified, return receipt requested cost in your Complaint so that you get all your money back. I bet that Vonage will not show up anyway.

Too Smart Jun 06, 2011

Your reading comprehension is below par and certain companies depends on people like you to profit. My advice was for the consumers who have been ripped off, not because of flyers, but for actual damages, this is why I adviced them to save all their communications. Now, go sign up with Vonage, you are a good candidate for them.

Too Smart Jun 07, 2011

Once again " My advice was for the consumers who have been ripped off, NOT because of flyers, but for ACTUAL DAMAGES, this is why I adviced them to save all their communications."

I did make a mistake in depend, it was a typo.

I used the proper word, advice/advise = a recommendation of what should be done. They can be used interchangeably.

At least I don't fall for trickeries and if I do, believe me I'm a regular at Small Claims.

Too Smart Jun 07, 2011

The typos shown above were made by the server, so relax.

Too Smart Jun 07, 2011

Yes, I'm so soooooooooooo wrong that I have won every lawsuit I have ever filed. Go away ignorant pinko. Enjoy Vonage.

zJustMe Jun 15, 2011

Vonage is a scam! I was a customer since 2004 and recently made the decision to cancel based on the way they have decided to redefine "unlimited". If you use more than 3000 minutes a month (basically a little more than 1.5 hours a day) you are classifed as a business and will have to take a business line and pay twice as much. If you have a teenager you know this is easy to burn through ... besides it's supposed to be UNLIMITED.

charging my account for non-service

Yes, let me start by saying to anyone whom which to sign-up for phone services with Vonage, you better think twice about what you will get in a phone service and what you want in a phone service.
I signed-up for the $9.00 per month service with Vonage. From the time I got their service I had problems with my phone not working correctly and also my internet would go down. It took over two week for the service to even be switched to Vonage form my other phone company. Then each day I would wake up with no phone working and my internet would be down with no service with either. I made calls on a regular basis to Vonage to technical support. They even had me on the outside of my home switching wires inside my phone box on my house. They then said they would send out a technical support from a outside contractor form a company called star something. That company called me to tell me that did not support my area and I would have to get someone on my own to come out and fix the problem. Again I was on the phone with Vonage trying to get my service fixed or I wanted it cancelled as of that day. Well they did not send anyone out or call me back. So The I check my checking account to find they have taken out of my checking account for the amount of $ 14.79. I had called Vonage asking for the money to be put back to my account and they said they would not give my money back to me. So what ever you do, be careful when dealing with these so called phone services which Vonage claims they are offering.

• Db
    DB2010 Apr 01, 2011

Vonage advertises "Unlimited Local & Long Distance/Nationwide" calling for only $14.99 a month. It is true...for the first 90 days. On the first day of the forth month, my Vonage rate more than doubled to $34.00 a month! They don't tell you that the $14.99 for new customers is only for the first 3 months when you sign-up! That's the old "Bait & Switch" scam, so beware Vonage!!! I'm done with them.

zJustMe Jun 15, 2011

If you are thinking of switching to Vonage BEWARE. Lastly, cancelling is a hastle as they try to keep billing and once you port a number to them - good luck getting it back ... it's like pulling teeth!

trying to cancel service

Last month I received my Vonage bill and it had increased from $20 to $36 so I called customer service to cancel. Now Vonage bills in advance so when I called, I figured that day would be the end. Nope. They refused to let me cancel! I told them 3 times to cancel then spoke to a manager and they "refused" to cancel the account. I called my cc company anf filed a complaint, then had the cc company issue me a new card number. Sure enough today I got an email saying they were trying to bill me but were unable to charge my account! Again I called, again I spoke to a manager who said they would now cancel my account (they couldn't get the money anyway because they did not have my new cc number). They refused to refund last month's charge saying they "did not have enough time to advise me about cancelling!!!) THIS COMPANY IS A FRAUD!!!

number slam

My vonage account was disconnected without my consent, and vonage is not doing anything to help me with this situation

• Ba
    Babs57 Apr 12, 2011

I was slammed to yesterday. I just got off the phone with Vonage and they said they had 5000 customers who were slammed. They are working on retreiving everyone's phone number. I heard that's going to be hard to do.

wont shut service off

WAS LOSIN SERVICE BROTHER WAS DYING CALLED 2 HAVE VONAGE SHUT OFF CAUSE I NEEDED 2 B ABLE 2 B N TOUCH W/ FAMILY AS THEY R MO. & I CALIFOENIA LADY I TALKD 2 GIVE ME A HASSLE & THEN SAID $120 TO SHUT OFF WHICH IS ADERTISED NO SHUT OFF FEE WELL BROTHER IS DOIN FINE BUT VONAGE SERVICE IS STILL ON & THEY WANT 2 KEEP CHARGIN ME.I AM D.A. & I WONT CALL EM BACK CAUSE I CANT TAKE THE ARGUING W/ME I JUST SMPLY WANT THEM 2 CLOSE THE ACCOUT & NOT CHARGE ME 4 WHAT I DONT USE.I JUST KEEP GETTING MESSAGE ON MY P

• Ak
    A.K Drammeh Mar 24, 2011

this company is a fraud. i call to cancel my service, the rep i talk to told me that it will be taken care off, but guuess what, two months later they send me a bill for cancellation fee and two month back pay. when i was signing for the service, they told me that there will ne no cancellation fee and all i have to do is to call and that is all they need to know. please save your self and your money and look for something better like magic jack.

• De
    DENTMC Nov 18, 2011

JUST GOT VONAGE AND IT IS THE WORSE THING I COULD HAVE DONE. I AM TRYING TO GET BACK TO VERIZON BUT I HAVE TO WAIT 10 DAYS TO PORT MY PHONE NUMBER OVER. I HAD 7 PHONES IN MY HOUSE THAT WORKED. WELL NOW I HAVE AN OLD, OLD CORDED PHONE IN ONE ROOM THAT IS WORKING. WE CANNOT USE ANY OF OUR CORDLESS PHONES. NEEDLESS TO SAY, THIS IS A NIGHTMARE BUT AT LEAST I HAD AN OLD PHONE TO USE UNTIL I CAN GET MY OLD COMPANY BACK. VONAGE STINKS. CUSTOMER SERVICE AWFUL WHEN YOU CAN EVEN UNDERSTAND THEM. CANNOT WAIT TO GET OUT OF THIS.

false advertisement

In the advertisement and description of the service it says "Unlimited* local and long distance ..."
However in the fine print there is "fair usage policy", which is fine.
But there is also following statement in the fine print of fair usage policy:
"Vonage World Canada plan is subject at all times to a limit of 3000 minutes ..."
Which obviously contradicts with the word "Unlimited" in the main description of the service!
This is not a situation of pending certain conditions but it is a set hard limit.

unautorized billing (double billing)

Vonage charged me about $165.00 for the calls. But when I realized that $165.00 per month is too much for calls across the street to my neighbor, I immediately cancelled the account. So, I had the account less than a month (less than a billing cycle). But when Vonage closed the account, it charged my VISA ANOTHER $165.00. So, Vonage double-charges people for telephone calls. I tried to attach the proof, in pdf format, but this web site is archaic: it allows only JPG, GIF, and PNG format. So dumb.

ponzi scheme

Vonage is a Ponzi scheme. I say this based on my experience with Vonage service, and viewing the...

poor service and unfair billing practices

I used Vonage from 2005 until 2010. But in July 2010 I had to cancel their services when my softphone line couldn't be accessed online. Many discussions with their Tech support could not solve the problem and they told me the problem would be solved within 2 weeks. 2 weeks! I ran a home business through that line and couldn't miss an hour let alone 2 weeks without losing thousands of dollars and in the meantime I had to pay for this service. I ended up canceling my vonage services. it was ludicrous that they found it acceptable for me to wait up to 2 weeks for a phone service i was paying for in order to have access to it again. I had to cancel my service and went elsewhere to a free voip service. I have found the the free voip service is similar in quality and it's free! I can do whatever I did on my previous vonage line. In September 2010 I received a notification for a bill that seemed to be the soft phone line that I had canceled with vonage. I called and they told me it was a bill for a softphone line that I had called to cancel in January 2007 and they continued to bill me until September 2010 even though i did not use the line since January 2007. I called to complain and they gave me no refund because they said i had agreed to a "6 month hold on the account" so that I could avoid a disconnection fee. Not only do I not recall any such agreement but they refused to reimburse a customer one penny for a line he did not use for almost 4 years because i had presumed it would have been cancelled after the 6 months. on the vonage email receipts they send you each month they do not write which phone number it is for. So it is difficult to determine what you are being billed for exactly especially if it is for an account you had thought was canceled and had forgotten all the passwords and usernames and even the actual phone number itself. I had presumed all this time that the separate bill i was getting from vonage was for the softphone line that i used up until July 2010 but shockingly learned it was for a line that I had presumed was canceled long ago. They had been billing me and charged my credit card for 3 years and 8 months after I had called to cancel the phone line!!! I had mistaken their bills for one of my other lines (I had 3 in total when I canceled all my lines in July 2010). If vonage wrote the phone number for the billing like Bell does on the bill itself it would have saved me tons of money. "6 months to hold an account to avoid a disconnection fee" is just long enough to forget about the account itself and forget to make that call to cancel the account once and for all. vonage initially agreed to give me a one year credit but when it was escalated to their executive department they offered no reimbursement. User Beware of Vonage!

• Is
    I S SETHI Dec 03, 2010

We got the service in the florida mall The guy did not tell about any contract at all.We discontinued paying when they started charging us $25.00 They are still billing us for the service when we do not have the service for the last two months & when my wife called to tell them to stop sending e mails they deceitfully replied "Thank you for coming
    back "What a deceitful practice?They are blackmailing the customers.We should file a complaint with Attorney General & FTC to stop this fraudulent practice.

unlimited international = 3000 minutes

Vonage advertised its Word calling plan as Unlimited. When i reached their unsaid limit of 3000 minutes, they...

did not give refund as stated

On September 8, 2010, I ordered Vonage service. I was charged over 60 dollars on my credit card that day. I was assured in a phone followup that there was a 30 day refund, if only a partial one, and likewise refund in returning the adapter.

My wife objected and wanted the refund and to use our existing system of Comcast.

On September 10 as ordered I cancelled.

An email was received stating that my order was before September 8, and no refund at all would be granted and I could keep the adapter!

I called and asked about the 30 day refund, and it was impossible for me to find a time machine and go back one day. The response was, more or less, that the refund was "misunderstood" despite my careful checking before a commitment.

Thanks, Comcast. Ten bucks more, BUT at least I can trust your guarantee and refund policy. Comcast may have faults, but not like this! Read the below to confirm my problem:

COPY COPY COPY COPY
If your Order Date is before September 8, 2010 and you have cancelled within 30 days from your Order Date, then you are under a 30-day money back guarantee offer under which we will refund your payments, if any, for the first line only, including any paid activation fee, adapter and initial shipping charges, 1st month service charge, fees and certain taxes. Your Order Date is your sign-up date or the date we processed your first payment, whichever came later. If your Order Date is on or after September 8, 2010, there is no money back guarantee offer or refunds upon cancellation, which is further described under "Cancellation" in your order confirmation.

If applicable, our money back guarantee does not apply to any charges for international usage, payphone calls to Vonage toll free numbers and any features or services not expressly included in your monthly plan fee. In addition, we may not be able to refund all of the taxes that you paid.

To receive this refund, you must meet the following conditions:

o You must return the adapter in its original condition, at your cost
within 14 days after you receive the Return Authorization email,
which includes instructions on how to return the device.
After receipt of the Vonage device, we will apply a refund to your
payment method on file within 10 business days. If you do not
return the adapter according to the Money Back Guarantee policy,
you will be charged a Rebate Recovery Fee equal to the rebate
amount you originally received for the adapter.

If your Order Date qualifies your cancellation for the money back guarantee and you purchased your adapter from a Retailer, you can return your adapter only to that Retailer pursuant to its return policy. We do not refund the price of Vonage adapters purchased from Retailers under our Money Back Guarantee. However, you will receive a refund of any paid activation fee, 1st month service charge, fees and certain taxes.

Charges for any overages, payphone calls to Vonage toll free numbers, and out of plan international calls or any other features and services outside your plan are separately emailed, billed and charged to your payment method within seven (7) days after cancellation.

charging disconnect and &return of rebate& fees

I started Vonage telephone service in February 2010. Phone line with Vonage has static and skips out so when talking to anyone they report that they cannot understand what I am saying. (AT&T is the only other provider in my area for phone service and everyone knows how poor their customer service is.)
Called Vonage many times to see what could be done, but due to lack of bandwidth from my interned provider, Vonage is not compatible which was confirmed today by their Tier 4 tech. Called to switch service to AT&T, Vonage wants $79 charge for the "discount" they gave me to sign up, plus the disconnection charges for not completing my year's commitment, I think around $170 total. In order to keep the service with Vonage, Vonage offered to switch my ISP to a DSL service, with Frontier, which would be a downgrade from my current service and probably very slow as I am 7 miles from the freeway, and who knows how far from the station that sends the signal. I think Vonage should do something about the disconnect fees as their service does not work at my location.

vonage unlimited calling plan

Beware Vonage unlimited is not an unlimited if the usage goes beyond 3000 minutes they are sending emails and customer support calls you to change to powerplan
Email below:

Account Number: *************

Dear ****************,

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Vonage for your phone service.

In order to provide the best value to all our customers, we track usage of Vonage residential calling plans. At the time of signup, you agreed to the Vonage Terms of Service (TOS), which includes usage guidelines for normal residential use. If you would like to review the usage guidelines, please see sections 5 and 10 of the TOS.

We have observed usage on your account, ***********, which is not consistent with normal residential use. Specifically, your account shows irregular patterns of use and/or international-minute usage that is more than twice that of our heaviest users.

At this time, you can remain on your current plan, but your usage will need to be changed to fall within normal residential use guidelines; this usage would generally not exceed 3, 000 international minutes per month. As another option, you can switch to a different calling plan, or you can disconnect your service without penalty.

For additional information about your options please respond to this email and one of our associates will be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Vonage Customer Service

• Am
    amitm Aug 23, 2010

Even I received the similar email. After struggling couple of hours with customer rep, no one and no where they are able to explain that unlimited=3000. And the customer rep (account management) are really crappy. They don't want to listen in any way.
    One of the technical person told that earlier they use to send such email if anybody would have crossed the limit of 5000 minutes. But due to congestion in their network, they changed the limit to 3000 minutes and came with new plan (Power user) of $50.
    I am thinking to switch to other calling plan. Otherwise tomorrow they will say that unlimited=1500 minutes.
    From last one year, Vonage is attracting Indian customer by providing advertise in the leading Indian news paper and Indian TV channels. And now Vonage is not keeping up with it's promise and sending an email that we are not in compliance with it's Terms of Service.

Bottom line -
    TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR FROM VONAGE.

• Sh
    shantanuk Oct 25, 2010

received same voicemail. customer service cannot explain the limite "unlimited" talk time! they refuse to argue and the only thing they say is you are free to cancel your service!

• Pr
    pratimohini Nov 11, 2010

Ditto!

Got fed up with Vonage and filed a formal complaint with FCC yesterday. I urge everyone here to do the same. If enough complaints are filed they will investigate the fraudulant practices by Vonage.

• Shekhar Sharma Nov 11, 2010

If you want good Service please call us at 1-877-777-0478 Extension 407, we will give you best service and homely customer support.

• Co
    complaintourmomma Dec 22, 2010

this is a sales strategy, every company offers unlimited plans ONLY to destinations of small rates per minute such as INDIA, CHINA, EUROPE(only land lines in this case), ect; they work out an estimate amount of minutes an average customer would talk for and release it to the market, now this works wonderfully for some because most of them never actually use the amount of minutes they are actually paying for, thats how the companies make money out of these plans, HOWEVER there's a smallthing companies missed out, you see india is a very populated country, I mean it's not like birth control is the most popular subject there, what I am saying is that these guys really ARE heavy callers because the have a lot of people to call to, they call gradma, grandpa, mom, dad, their 17 brothers and sisters, their sons and daughters, their wifes, friends etc. and the funny part is they believe everything they are told.
    Bottom line: "unlimited plan" offered to the indian inmigrant market, not really lucrative.

• Pt
    ptcruzinmama Mar 18, 2011

Have you guys ever read your "unlimited" cell phone plans terms of service? Unlimited is never truly unlimited. Theres always a limit. if you are on the phone for 3000+ minutes a month you must have NOTHING better to do!

• Shekhar Sharma Mar 18, 2011

Vonage Charges $35 and gives 3000 Minutes.

VONAGE_FAKE Aug 16, 2011

its a fake company .. getting service is easy
    but its difficult to get ride of VONAGE..

VONAGE_FAKE Aug 16, 2011

VONAGE FAKE COMPANY..

total manipulative money grabbers

vonage is a very greedy company, not only are they holding my existing number hostage that i have had for 14 yrs, and continuing to take payments from my credit card the first of everymonth, Even though i have done a letter of agency form with my new voip carrier, and am saving over 50%, i am in this position because i prepaid vonage and did not know i should have gone on a monthly plan, but they new this when i wanted to port over and took there sweet ### time to port, waited untill the 25 th of june and forced me to pay for the month since they had my old credit card number, they are taking there sweet ### time and took another month from my account with the new credit card info they got from me thinking they would expedite this... they are fraudsters, and patent thieves, and have paid vorizon over 60 million good glad they got nailed.. dont go with vonage there are much better voip carriers out there they are liars and use the PHILLIPINES as they main custmer service headquarters... stay away keep away the stress, google voip carriers and be happy!!!

I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy

There representative lied to me regarding there service. They claim to be paperless so that they can have access to your banking account. My phone bill was suppose to be 24.99 a month but with the taxes it was 10.00 to 14.00 more a month. Why would taxes change each month. When I changed service they would not release my phone number and charged me after telling me that I could cancel without any plenty. 79.00 for there equipment 39.99 cancellation fee and 35.00 for the next month phone service. I would not recommend this company to my worst ememy.

they wont please their customer

I have had Vonage for eleven months and up until about two months ago all was ok. Then, for no reason I have begun to have issues whereas people whom I call advise that that my voice is all choppy. I replaced my phones, cable box and router, but still the problem continues. I have called Vonage numerous times and they run tests and tell me to continue to try the service. I have advised them over and over that all my equipment has been changed which leaves me to believe the only way to fix this is for Vonage to replace my Vonage box. No matter how many times I call and no matter how many times I email them, they continue to blow me off. They continue to try to place the blame on Comcast or my phone or my modem. I have done the tests and the Vonage Device (BOX) is causing issues with up loaded data. It's that simple. A replacement box may very well fix the problem, so why won't they just please a customer. The box is still under the one year warn.

My one year contract is up next month. If they don't change out this Vonage Device, I intend to dump Vonage. If they can't serive a good customer, I say screw them. I've had it with this company who talks a lot, but doesn't deliver.

vonage unlimited international call is false

International calls are NOT unlimited from Vonage. I got an email from vonage and it says my calls are not in the same patterns. I called the voange and they told me, the number of minutes I could use depends 0n other vonage customers. I cannot go more then average customer usage minutes, otherwise they will charge the regular rate for international minutes.

Vonage advertisement for unlimited calls is lie and misleading.

• Su
    Suresh a Apr 11, 2010

That's very true

• Ho
    HoustonIAH Aug 06, 2010

Thats true. Not only they had a cap on International calling, they also have a cap on number of unique number you can call at and number of call forwards you can do. I don't know how does this remain Unlimited!
    We certainly are victimized by Vonage advertisement.

Vonage Victim Sep 27, 2010

Even me I got Vonage notice about 3000 limit cap on international calls and deceving the customers. Please take care of such false companies.

• Pr
    pratimohini Nov 11, 2010

True. I am also a victim of Vonage false advertisement. What's funny is Vonage is probably telling all their customers that they are using too much of their unlimited plan and more than their average customers.
    Vonage is lier!!!

File a complaint with FCC. I did. if enough people file formal complaints FCC might look into the illegal practices by company.

• Shekhar Sharma Nov 11, 2010

• De
    Deepaksahu Nov 17, 2010

Vonage is doing false advertisement of unlimited calls... Got second Email ...Cheater Vonage!!!
    DearXXXXXXXX,
    Recently you were informed that your account, XXXXXXXXX, shows unusually heavy and/or irregular patterns of use. This usage is not in compliance with the Vonage Terms of Service that you agreed to when you signed up. You can still remain on your current plan, but you will need to change your usage to fall within normal residential use guidelines, which generally includes using less than 3, 000 international minutes per month.
    If your usage is not adjusted to reflect normal residential use, we will automatically change your service plan to our Power User plan at a rate of $49.99 per month (plus taxes and fees).
    The Power User plan includes free domestic calling and 3, 000 in-plan international minutes. Additional in-plan minutes used will be charged at the rate of $.03 per minute thereafter. The Power User plan includes all the other features and benefits of Vonage World, including Vonage Visual Voicemail®, SimulRing®, and our lowest per-minute rates for calls made outside of the 60 included countries.

If neither of these options meets your calling needs, you can disconnect your service without penalty. For additional information, please respond to this email and one of our associates will be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Vonage Customer Service

• Ac
    acecal Mar 06, 2013

I have subscribed to Vonage World Plan on July 2012. I was told, and then I received an email indicating that I will be charged $9.99 monthly service. Recently I found out from my billing that they are actually charging $25 per month. Now they are telling me that it was a 3 month promotional service. No one called or told me then, and I have not received any email or letter afterwards indicating that this was a 3 month promotional rate!

THEY ARE CLEARLY MISLEADING CONSUMER. **BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY***

Vonage Scam Nov 05, 2014

Vonage = False, Misleading advertising. Your "$9.99" Promotional monthly rate automatically translates to $18.55/Month. After 6 Months, Your monthly rate of $27.99 translates to $50.52/Month

fraud and deceptive business practices

Vonage got the best of me over the past 2 days. First off I called to request that they give me the pricing that they are giving new customers only to learn that "they are sorry but do not have such offers in place for existing customers" They go on to say how much they appreciate my business (1.5 years) as opposed to saying what is really the truth of "we really enjoy screwing good customers while we give away the farm to attract new ones"

So after pondering this for a day I decided what the heck, I really dont need a landline anyway as this was just old habit right! So I first tried to cancel service via the web (the same way that I ordered it) only to learn that you have to call and get the pleasure of speaking with some low level employee who's primary language is something other than English...Next, they cancel my service and then I get an "oh, by the way. your cancellation fee will be $39.95 plus tax..." and WAIT!! THERES MORE!!! "we are unable to process a partial months credit that you have pre-paid because thats the way the system works"

Ok, so now this is done and I have had 3 email exchanges with Vonage customer care in an attempt to make things right and they have all been to no avail. They are UNWILLING TO MAKE IT RIGHT AT THE RISK OF THIS HAPPENING!! THEY SIMPLY DO NOT CARE!!!

That said, it is now my personal mission to help 100 people learn about the perils of doing business with Vonage and to prevent Vonage from getting that business.

JohnnyC14 Mar 13, 2010

First of all, they are not doing anything different than any other major business trying to get business. Word of advice, read the terms of service buddy before signing up for service, you will see the 39.99 sorry

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices